DA: Inquisition - Tactical?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dylan417

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 dylan417
Member since 2008 • 5195 Posts

I'm interested in Dragon Age Inquisition. That said, I've never played a DA game before. Only a demo of the first one, I think, which I do not remember much about. So I have a deciding question: is the game tactical? I've had love for tactical/strategy games in the past, but I'm really not in the mood to play through one these days. So, I watched a couple gameplay clips on YouTube and the game looked great until the game switched to some free-roaming-camera tactical view. I lost interest there; it didn't look very fun.

So my question is, can you play through Dragon Age: Inquisition without any type of strategy/tactical view?

Also, if anyone could simply compare it to another game like it to give me a feel of what it's like?

DHMATT90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 DHMATT90
Member since 2014 • 180 Posts

Yes you can. Although when you are overwhelmed by enemies, it helps a lot.

This is a game that takes some thinking, and tweaking on the characters abilities, strategies etc I think it falls under the category of tactical RPG.

Avatar image for Prince_Denspion
Prince_Denspion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 Prince_Denspion
Member since 2004 • 2748 Posts

Tactical is a great part of the gameplay, it was brought from the PC version of Dragon Age Origins and left out of console versions. We have the option now, it basically freezes time and let's you command each member of your party to perform a skill or attack and then resume gameplay. I don't use it much honestly, but I may get more a custom to it.

_Judas_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 _Judas_
Member since 2004 • 785 Posts

I loath to use this feature, though at times I feel forced to use it. You can't que up moves/actions for your party. Casting spells using tactical mode is a pain, especially when placing glyphs or walls, barriers etc. You can progress time by pressing R2, and when the party have finished their current action, you an "que" up another action for them. I play mostly without using the tactical option, though sometimes I feel I might've done better if I played using it.

There is a behaviour section, where you can tell you party members how to act, but it is very poor. Varric, my archer, alawys runs into the fray instead of firing from afar, which is kind of stupid. I've set him up so that he is supposed to "defend" my character, who is also an archer, but he always plunges into combat. Very silly as one of the archer's abilities does more damage the farther away from it's target it is...

dylan417

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 dylan417
Member since 2008 • 5195 Posts

Thanks for the input, guys. I think I'm going to get it soon and see if I can avoid using it whenever possible. But hey, who knows, I might learn to like it. The rest of the game looks great.

And hey, have a happy Thanksgiving.