Can you get 1080p

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#51 Large_Soda
Member since 2003 • 8658 Posts
[QUOTE="lesner87"]

[QUOTE="skullgangs"]OK guys put it this way way my hdtv is 720p/1080i max so SHould I still go out and buy hmdi or just stick with componet?skullgangs

Buy HDMI once and for all because it will give your sound upto 7.1 sorround aswell.And if you get a good tv(in the future maybe)supporting 1080p,you can just use the same cable rather than purchasing a new one.Dont make the same mistake as me ! I bought component for nothing its lying around some where i dont even know.

I dont care about the sound I just want to know if I should waste monye buying hdmi for a tv that does not support 1080p or just stick with my componet.thx

Two reasons for going HDMI:

1. Possibly cleaner/better picture

2. One cable as opposed to 4 or 5.

hypnotoad8128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#52 hypnotoad8128
Member since 2007 • 474 Posts
Component video is certainly capable of doing 1080p, but the manufacturers will not allow it, so it is not incorporated into electronics due to copyright reasons. HDMI is protected, Component is not!
lesner87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 lesner87
Member since 2004 • 2441 Posts
[QUOTE="skullgangs"][QUOTE="lesner87"]

[QUOTE="skullgangs"]OK guys put it this way way my hdtv is 720p/1080i max so SHould I still go out and buy hmdi or just stick with componet?Large_Soda

Buy HDMI once and for all because it will give your sound upto 7.1 sorround aswell.And if you get a good tv(in the future maybe)supporting 1080p,you can just use the same cable rather than purchasing a new one.Dont make the same mistake as me ! I bought component for nothing its lying around some where i dont even know.

I dont care about the sound I just want to know if I should waste monye buying hdmi for a tv that does not support 1080p or just stick with my componet.thx

Two reasons for going HDMI:

1. Possibly cleaner/better picture

2. One cable as opposed to 4 or 5.

This and theres no wasting money when buying HDMI cable.

kreestoph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54 kreestoph
Member since 2007 • 442 Posts
you cant get 1080p on componant. you cant even get it on some hdmi. you need a cable that can do 60hz 1080p and 8 or 12bit color. if you buy monster cables they now have that stuff listed on the front.
Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Large_Soda

you cant get 1080p on componant. you cant even get it on some hdmi. you need a cable that can do 60hz 1080p and 8 or 12bit color. if you buy monster cables they now have that stuff listed on the front.kreestoph

Why even bother posting this inaccurate tripe?

sanpreet8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 sanpreet8
Member since 2008 • 2111 Posts
HDMI hands down.
hypnotoad8128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#57 hypnotoad8128
Member since 2007 • 474 Posts

Do you have any idea whatsoever? Your statement is totally innacurate and wrong. Do you work for monster or something? Or are you just easily suckered by expensive advertising on rip-off cables?

you cant get 1080p on componant. you cant even get it on some hdmi. you need a cable that can do 60hz 1080p and 8 or 12bit color. if you buy monster cables they now have that stuff listed on the front.kreestoph

RomanticFool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#58 RomanticFool
Member since 2008 • 203 Posts

Do you have any idea whatsoever? Your statement is totally innacurate and wrong. Do you work for monster or something? Or are you just easily suckered by expensive advertising on rip-off cables?

[QUOTE="kreestoph"]you cant get 1080p on componant. you cant even get it on some hdmi. you need a cable that can do 60hz 1080p and 8 or 12bit color. if you buy monster cables they now have that stuff listed on the front.hypnotoad8128

Alright guys, you want the actual technical specs of component video cables? (notice I did not say composite, which is an important distinction). They can most definitely support 1080p signal - however, most devices that use them will not put out 1080p signal over them, mainly because vendors have agreed to the digital copy right protection schema which is inherently supported by HDMI. Even more damning to the cables is that even when a device outputs 1080p over it, many televisions do not recognize 1080p over component (their decoders weren't programmed to 'expect' 1080p signal, and its a LOT of extra pixels).

So let's review:

the device (read: PS3) has to be programmed to output 1080p over component

the TV in use has to be programmed to accept 1080p over component

All technical documentation I've read on the PS3 suggests that the PS3 is one of the many devices that does not support the output of 1080p signal on the Component Cables. So, by transitive properties, you AREN'T going to get 1080p signal using Component cables from a PS3.

My qualifications? 1) I run a college television station. 2) I'm really sick of this argument! :-)

Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Large_Soda
[QUOTE="hypnotoad8128"]

[QUOTE="kreestoph"]you cant get 1080p on componant. you cant even get it on some hdmi. you need a cable that can do 60hz 1080p and 8 or 12bit color. if you buy monster cables they now have that stuff listed on the front.RomanticFool

Alright guys, you want the actual technical specs of component video cables? (notice I did not say composite, which is an important distinction). They can most definitely support 1080p signal - however, most devices that use them will not put out 1080p signal over them, mainly because vendors have agreed to the digital copy right protection schema which is inherently supported by HDMI. Even more damning to the cables is that even when a device outputs 1080p over it, many televisions do not recognize 1080p over component (their decoders weren't programmed to 'expect' 1080p signal, and its a LOT of extra pixels).

So let's review:

the device (read: PS3) has to be programmed to output 1080p over component

the TV in use has to be programmed to accept 1080p over component

All technical documentation I've read on the PS3 suggests that the PS3 is one of the many devices that does not support the output of 1080p signal on the Component Cables. So, by transitive properties, you AREN'T going to get 1080p signal using Component cables from a PS3.

My qualifications? 1) I run a college television station. 2) I'm really sick of this argument! :-)

ROFL!!!!!@!@!@!

wEN MY plaza TV gets ten ate e pee form that cponent it works uust fine. You loos.

Back to reality. Exactly correct. Please for the love of whatever, lets' end this thread.

skullgangs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#60 skullgangs
Member since 2008 • 429 Posts

Lol I chuckled at Monster cables..

brotherreese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 brotherreese
Member since 2003 • 1049 Posts

High-Definition Multimedia Interface (HDMI) = Digital signal. HDMI supports, on a single cable, any TV or PC video format including standard, enhanced, and high-definition video along with up to 8 channels of digital audio.

Component cable = Analog signals. Component video is capable of carrying signals such as 480i, 480p, 576i, 576p, 720p, 1080i and 1080p , although many TVs do not support 1080p through component video.