Can you get 1080p

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

skullgangs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 skullgangs
Member since 2008 • 429 Posts
with component cables on ps3? Ifso whats the purpose of HDMI
Infinite-Zr0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Infinite-Zr0
Member since 2003 • 13284 Posts

You're games will look better in HDMI

I went from 720p component to 720p HDMI and threre is a huge improvment in picture crispness
Not to mention you don't need to buy an audio cable for surround sound with HDMI

starkiller4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 starkiller4
Member since 2008 • 81 Posts

I'm not sure but I think the maximum you can get is 1080i with component cables

Swavo69420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Swavo69420
Member since 2006 • 808 Posts

No you can't get to 1080p with component cables only through HDMI is it possible...

"The Baddest B**** To Ever Take A Breath Of Life"

skullgangs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 skullgangs
Well for some reason I do have to buy a audio cable for surround sound. cuz the way ym setup is my tv is not connectd to the surround reciver is hook up to a box with bunch of componnter outlets so I can have muilt stsyems. Like for instance my dvd player hooked up via hdmi but only way I cna hear sound is by hooking up audio cable too it.
skullgangs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 skullgangs

No you can't get to 1080p with component cables only through HDMI is it possible...

Swavo69420

o by the way hows that cocance cowboys movie is it wort a rental?

Swavo69420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Swavo69420
Member since 2006 • 808 Posts

"o by the way hows that cocance cowboys movie is it wort a rental?"

It's awesome...

But I thought the sequel was better (It answered alot of unanswered questions from the 1st one)...

"The Baddest B**** To Ever Take A Breath Of Life"

Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 Large_Soda
Member since 2003 • 8658 Posts

Swavo69420

On the PS3 at least, but yes it is true.

skullgangs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 skullgangs
[QUOTE="Swavo69420"]

Large_Soda

So on the ps3 you can get 1080p with componet cables? any liks

skullgangs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 skullgangs
bump
bwrector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 bwrector
Member since 2004 • 149 Posts
No 1080p via component cables. And if HDMI makes a difference, typically only with fixed-pixel displays (ie LCD or plasma)
Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Large_Soda
[QUOTE="Large_Soda"][QUOTE="Swavo69420"]

skullgangs

So on the ps3 you can get 1080p with componet cables? any liks

Sorry for the confusion, I was agreeing withSwavo69420 that the PS3 does not output 1080p over component. I meant that the 360 and some other devices CAN do 1080p over component, just wanted to highlight that it was technically possible. Somewhat irrelevant I suppose.

henry4th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 henry4th
Member since 2003 • 1180 Posts

No 1080p via component cables. And if HDMI makes a difference, typically only with fixed-pixel displays (ie LCD or plasma)bwrector

Just like he said.

No 1080P available to ps3 if you only have components cable. HDMI provides both better pictures and sound if you have the equipment to hook it up.

spydersvenom7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#14 spydersvenom7
Member since 2008 • 297 Posts

HDCP is probably the biggest reason you don't see 1080p via Component. There's some copywrite issue with analog (component) video but they are fine with digital (HDMI) because it allows HDCP (high definition copywrite protection?). The reason you've seen it on the 360 is (and I get flack for this every time, but...) because it's upscaled 720p. It has been stated time and time again that this is the case, plus every time people tell me it's full HD can't explain why, even with an HDMI cable, I can't view HD-DVDs in anything but 1080i. My console automatically drops to 1080i when i view an HD-DVD.

Unless it's in HDMI, you will see tons of issues in 1080p for both games and movies because of input HDCP.

Sherif_129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Sherif_129
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Hey there,

I'm from the official PS3 EU forums with about 6000 posts, and I am hoping to move aswell to this forum.

Most games only support 780p but WipeOutHD will support 1080p and to enjoy these graphics, you will need a HMDI cable. Without this, you cannot play in HD and in 1080p.

CJL182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 CJL182
Member since 2003 • 9233 Posts
Yes, you CAN get 1080p via component, but it depends on the tv. Most tv's only accept 1080p signals via HDMI and computer ports, but I read that some Samsungs will display 1080p via component.
gagit811

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 gagit811
Member since 2005 • 3632 Posts
Yes you can Get 1080p on the PS3 with component cables. I have done this myself. component cables will run at 1080p, but you can not upscale dvds and you will be limited to 1080i for blue ray movies. but 1080p will work with games.
bwrector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 bwrector
Member since 2004 • 149 Posts
Ok I did some digging and it looks like the PS3 can do 1080p via component - but I would have to see it to believe it - lol
jimm895

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 jimm895
Member since 2007 • 7703 Posts
To get true 1080p you will need to use a HDMI cable. The systems that say they can do this via component cables are just upscaling from the highest resolution possible. HDMI cables are digital and true HD is a digital signal. Component cables are analog and true progressive scan cannot be transmitted via a analog signal.
gagit811

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 gagit811

To get true 1080p you will need to use a HDMI cable. The systems that say they can do this via component cables are just upscaling from the highest resolution possible. HDMI cables are digital and true HD is a digital signal. Component cables are analog and true progressive scan cannot be transmitted via a analog signal.jimm895
You dont know what you are talking about. go get some facts and come back. I really don't feel like educating you on this subject, but trust me you are wrong. Component is capable of running a full 1080p signal. true HD is just a marketing ploy to get you, they also call it full hd, 1080Pure and so on.

gagit811

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 gagit811

The real reason why they would have you belive that component can't do 1080p is Piracy. The big movie studios do not want component to run a full resolution 1080p signal, as you can copy vary easily (just imagine the online underground piracy rings with full resolution hd movies). They love hdmi because of its copyright protection is built into the cable its self. Altho it has been broken its not that easy to do and is not wide spread. Component has enough bandwidth to run a 1080p signal, altho I will say hdmi does look sharper and have better color detail when compared side by side.

Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Large_Soda

[QUOTE="jimm895"]To get true 1080p you will need to use a HDMI cable. The systems that say they can do this via component cables are just upscaling from the highest resolution possible. HDMI cables are digital and true HD is a digital signal. Component cables are analog and true progressive scan cannot be transmitted via a analog signal.gagit811

You dont know what you are talking about. go get some facts and come back. I really don't feel like educating you on this subject, but trust me you are wrong. Component is capable of running a full 1080p signal. true HD is just a marketing ploy to get you, they also call it full hd, 1080Pure and so on.

Exactly.

Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Large_Soda

HDCP is probably the biggest reason you don't see 1080p via Component. There's some copywrite issue with analog (component) video but they are fine with digital (HDMI) because it allows HDCP (high definition copywrite protection?). The reason you've seen it on the 360 is (and I get flack for this every time, but...) because it's upscaled 720p. It has been stated time and time again that this is the case, plus every time people tell me it's full HD can't explain why, even with an HDMI cable, I can't view HD-DVDs in anything but 1080i. My console automatically drops to 1080i when i view an HD-DVD.

Unless it's in HDMI, you will see tons of issues in 1080p for both games and movies because of input HDCP.

spydersvenom7

The 360 is more than capable of outputting 1080p for games over component and it has, with Virtua Tennis 3. It is not upscaled, it is actually being rendered in 1080p.

As for HD-DVDs not playing in 1080p over HDMI? Well I haven't had my HD DVD player since January and at that time I was using my VGA adapter to get the signal to the TV and that was in 1080p. So I can't explain why you are unable to do it.

And for the record HDCP stands for High Definition Content Protection.

gagit811

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 gagit811
[QUOTE="spydersvenom7"]

Large_Soda

The 360 is more than capable of outputting 1080p for games over component and it has, with Virtua Tennis 3. It is not upscaled, it is actually being rendered in 1080p.

As for HD-DVDs not playing in 1080p over HDMI? Well I haven't had my HD DVD player since January and at that time I was using my VGA adapter to get the signal to the TV and that was in 1080p. So I can't explain why you are unable to do it.

the 360 or ps3 wont alow 1080p output through component for movies is because the movie studios wont alow it. they also do not want dvds being upscaled via component ether. its all because component is too easy to pirate. Its just a rule they have imposed onto any hd dvd, blue ray player, or upconverting dvd player.
Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Large_Soda
[QUOTE="Large_Soda"][QUOTE="spydersvenom7"]

gagit811

the 360 or ps3 wont alow 1080p output through component for movies is because the movie studios wont alow it. they also do not want dvds being upscaled via component ether. its all because component is too easy to pirate. Its just a rule they have imposed onto any hd dvd, blue ray player, or upconverting dvd player.

Cool, now if you'd just go through my post and highlight where I said it could that would be swell.

Avatar image for CorporateHammer
CorporateHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 CorporateHammer
Member since 2007 • 992 Posts
[QUOTE="Large_Soda"][QUOTE="spydersvenom7"]

gagit811

not saying your wrong but i dont see how component cables have anything to do with piracy. Few TV's support 1080p through component but they are out there. Although wake up, dont you think the lack of support for component is due to wanting to push HDMI devices. History - composite, s-video,Component,DVI, HDMI . each better than the previous and require purchases.

TEichs233

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TEichs233
Member since 2003 • 109 Posts
your a tool
gagit811

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 gagit811

Cool, now if you'd just go through my post and highlight where I said it could that would be swell.

Large_Soda
You never said it did my friend, But you didn't seem to know that bit of information, nor did spydersvenom7. I'd thought I'd give my bit of 2cents as thats what the forums for me at least are for. Also It seems as if no one seems to know this stuff "you know what I mean".
gagit811

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 gagit811
not saying your wrong but i dont see how component cables have anything to do with piracy. Few TV's support 1080p through component but they are out there. Although wake up, dont you think the lack of support for component is due to wanting to push HDMI devices. History - composite, s-video,Component,DVI, HDMI . each better than the previous and require purchases. CorporateHammer
they push HDMI because yes it is the best format, it also has built in content protection. The big movie studios wanted hdmi because of this fact you can't steal it easily. yes it is a natural progression to hdmi it was going to happen, but they hender component and limit it to 1080i for hd video because they don't want ppl to steal full 1080p and pirate it. they even considered limiting hd movies to 480p through component for a while, but let 1080i pass. but the fact is component can pas a 1080p signal they just don't want movies to run at that through it.
Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Large_Soda
[QUOTE="Large_Soda"]

gagit811

You never said it did my friend, But you didn't seem to know that bit of information, nor did spydersvenom7. I'd thought I'd give my bit of 2cents as thats what the forums for me at least are for. Also It seems as if no one seems to know this stuff "you know what I mean".

Well I was just off-put by quoting me, so I took it as you correcting me on something I never said. But anyway, I was aware of that, not a big deal though.

itwiz90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#31 itwiz90
Member since 2003 • 3037 Posts

HDMI will display a much better picture than the composite cables. Rty it, you'll like it.

8)

Elviathan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Elviathan
Member since 2006 • 5052 Posts
I don't think so. HDMI is a better cable overall, it's just one cable outputing audio and video.
gangster480

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#33 gangster480
Member since 2006 • 856 Posts
i have both component and hdmi, same resolution 1080p, hdmi has way better color.
pspgod97345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 pspgod97345
Member since 2008 • 30 Posts
not so shure ;)
skullgangs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 skullgangs

[QUOTE="jimm895"]To get true 1080p you will need to use a HDMI cable. The systems that say they can do this via component cables are just upscaling from the highest resolution possible. HDMI cables are digital and true HD is a digital signal. Component cables are analog and true progressive scan cannot be transmitted via a analog signal.gagit811

Yea am really getting sick of that ture hd stuff, am starting to think it's a marketing ploy also. O by the way got any links?

skullgangs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 skullgangs

To get true 1080p you will need to use a HDMI cable. The systems that say they can do this via component cables are just upscaling from the highest resolution possible. HDMI cables are digital and true HD is a digital signal. Component cables are analog and true progressive scan cannot be transmitted via a analog signal.jimm895

rofl I don't think component cables are analog you must be thinking composite cables.

Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Large_Soda

[QUOTE="jimm895"]To get true 1080p you will need to use a HDMI cable. The systems that say they can do this via component cables are just upscaling from the highest resolution possible. HDMI cables are digital and true HD is a digital signal. Component cables are analog and true progressive scan cannot be transmitted via a analog signal.skullgangs

rofl I don't think component cables are analog you must be thinking composite cables.

No, component and composite are both analog cables. So you can pick yourself up off the floor.

lesner87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 lesner87
Member since 2004 • 2441 Posts

with component cables on ps3? Ifso whats the purpose of HDMI skullgangs

Component cables max out on 1080i not p.For progressive resoltuions you need HDMI cable.Theres alot of difference between the quality and purpose of HDmi is basically to deliver you FULL HD 1080 picture.

Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Large_Soda

[QUOTE="skullgangs"]with component cables on ps3? Ifso whats the purpose of HDMI lesner87

Component cables max out on 1080i not p.For progressive resoltuions you need HDMI cable.Theres alot of difference between the quality and purpose of HDmi is basically to deliver you FULL HD 1080 picture.

They do not max out at 1080i, they are capable of delivering 1080p just fine.There are however other restrictions that keep the PS3 from sending a 1080p signal via component.

Assassin_651

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Assassin_651
Member since 2008 • 105 Posts
you can get 1080i with component but for the 'better' 1080p you need HDMI
jshaas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 jshaas
Member since 2003 • 2411 Posts
There only two differences between Component and HDMI. One is analog (component), and one is digital (hdmi). Also, HDMI supports audio and video. The difference you may experience with picture quality depends on your equipment, not your cables. So in some cases, HDMI may not look as good as Component and vice versa. Obviously, cheap cables won't perform as well as let's say Monster Cables. The component cables do support 1080p but the information travels slower because you get 100% of video signal. With HDMI you may lose some of the video signal due to the fact that it's digital, and when it's lost it's lost. With the analog connection the information slows down and speeds up to maintain 100% of the signal.
lesner87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 lesner87
[QUOTE="lesner87"]

[QUOTE="skullgangs"]with component cables on ps3? Ifso whats the purpose of HDMI Large_Soda

They do not max out at 1080i, they are capable of delivering 1080p just fine.There are however other restrictions that keep the PS3 from sending a 1080p signal via component.

I own one you cant view 1080p on component av cable.

henry4th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 henry4th
Member since 2003 • 1180 Posts

There only two differences between Component and HDMI. One is analog (component), and one is digital (hdmi). Also, HDMI supports audio and video. The difference you may experience with picture quality depends on your equipment, not your cables. So in some cases, HDMI may not look as good as Component and vice versa. Obviously, cheap cables won't perform as well as let's say Monster Cables. The component cables do support 1080p but the information travels slower because you get 100% of video signal. With HDMI you may lose some of the video signal due to the fact that it's digital, and when it's lost it's lost. With the analog connection the information slows down and speeds up to maintain 100% of the signal.jshaas

What you said is almost entirely true, except a couple of points:

1. For analog cable, the better the cable, the better the picture quality. But for HDMI cables, there are no difference. They either work or not.

2. To recreate the best pictures with analog cable, it will be VERY VERY expensive. Therefore, it becomes unpractical for most consumers. To recreate the best pictures with HDMI is relatively cheap, and that's why it becomes so popular now.

Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Large_Soda
[QUOTE="Large_Soda"][QUOTE="lesner87"]

[QUOTE="skullgangs"]with component cables on ps3? Ifso whats the purpose of HDMI lesner87

I own one you cant view 1080p on component av cable.

That's exactly what I said.

blueblur87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#45 blueblur87
Member since 2005 • 326 Posts
I use a HDMI to DVI cable with a PC LCD monitor. If you go to display settings, you can set the RGB settings to FULL and the Superwhite to ON, and it will make a massive difference to the contrast and dynamic range of brightness and black will look much darker, richness of colours improved etc.all my games looked greyish and had a lack of contrast before but now they all look amazing. Someone pointed out (youtube assassins creed comparison) that a lot of graphics comparison videos and photos were done without those settings set on, therefore the xbox 360 version looked better in a lot of game sites... if you set the settings I said, the ps3 version will have just as good if not better contrast and colour.
AgentH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 AgentH
Member since 2004 • 4636 Posts

HDMI > anything else

skullgangs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 skullgangs
OK guys put it this way way my hdtv is 720p/1080i max so SHould I still go out and buy hmdi or just stick with componet?
lesner87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 lesner87

I use a HDMI to DVI cable with a PC LCD monitor. If you go to display settings, you can set the RGB settings to FULL and the Superwhite to ON, and it will make a massive difference to the contrast and dynamic range of brightness and black will look much darker, richness of colours improved etc.all my games looked greyish and had a lack of contrast before but now they all look amazing. Someone pointed out (youtube assassins creed comparison) that a lot of graphics comparison videos and photos were done without those settings set on, therefore the xbox 360 version looked better in a lot of game sites... if you set the settings I said, the ps3 version will have just as good if not better contrast and colour. blueblur87

Yes same here.Running a sync master 931bw wiht full HDCP.

lesner87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 lesner87

OK guys put it this way way my hdtv is 720p/1080i max so SHould I still go out and buy hmdi or just stick with componet?skullgangs

Buy HDMI once and for all because it will give your sound upto 7.1 sorround aswell.And if you get a good tv(in the future maybe)supporting 1080p,you can just use the same cable rather than purchasing a new one.Dont make the same mistake as me ! I bought component for nothing its lying around some where i dont even know.

skullgangs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 skullgangs

[QUOTE="skullgangs"]OK guys put it this way way my hdtv is 720p/1080i max so SHould I still go out and buy hmdi or just stick with componet?lesner87

Buy HDMI once and for all because it will give your sound upto 7.1 sorround aswell.And if you get a good tv(in the future maybe)supporting 1080p,you can just use the same cable rather than purchasing a new one.Dont make the same mistake as me ! I bought component for nothing its lying around some where i dont even know.

I dont care about the sound I just want to know if I should waste monye buying hdmi for a tv that does not support 1080p or just stick with my componet.thx