Borderlands 2 was NOT made for solo play

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#1 Essian
Member since 2007 • 3444 Posts

You know, the original Borderlands was considered pretty dull when played alone, and that was something I was okay with.  A lot of people thought it was pretty lackluster, but I found it fun. Borderlands 2 is the polar opposite.  It's nearly ****ing impossible to beat by myself. 

I'm a level 24 Mechromancer, and I just went to Opportunity.  Yeah.  The constructors can one shot me, there are too many enemies for me to deal with alone (I can generally scape by with Deathtrap, but he can't always be around), and I need a Corrosive weapon to clear the area with, but of course the vending machines in this game sell garbage guns... it's a really, really frustrating experience.

Is anyone still playing Borderlands that might like to help me clear the game?  Like I said, I am in Opportunity, and I would really like to finish.  If I hadn't sank 20 bucks into the DLC a week ago, I would probably just trade the damn thing in...

Venom_Raptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 124

#2 Venom_Raptor
Member since 2010 • 6959 Posts

My brother completed it solo with little issues. If you take it slow and don't rush into missions your not equipped to deal with you'll be fine.

dalger21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 dalger21
Member since 2002 • 2231 Posts
I beat it solo and while there were parts harder than some, it wasn't too tough.
MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
I solo'd the whole game on PC with the Mechromancer.. But yeah, I just deleted it off my PS3 this week, sorry man.
coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

I didn't find playing solo to be that hard. Just make sure you do all the side missions you can to level up before doing the story missions. If an area is too hard go somewhere else and kill stuff until you level up. Sometimes just one level makes all the difference.

Also since you are playing the Mecromancer make sure you have a point in the Anarchy perk, Build them up by not manually reloading your guns. A good gun with 50+ anarchy is quite powerful.

Also if you haven't already done it and you have the money. Go drop 10,000-15,000 cash in Moxxi's tip jar in Sanctuary. She will usually give you a rapid fire corrosive weapon that is quite good for taking down the constructors and any other robot.

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Essian

I didn't find playing solo to be that hard. Just make sure you do all the side missions you can to level up before doing the story missions. If an area is too hard go somewhere else and kill stuff until you level up. Sometimes just one level makes all the difference.

Also since you are playing the Mecromancer make sure you have a point in the Anarchy perk, Build them up by not manually reloading your guns. A good gun with 50+ anarchy is quite powerful.

Also if you haven't already done it and you have the money. Go drop 10,000-15,000 cash in Moxxi's tip jar in Sanctuary. She will usually give you a rapid fire corrosive weapon that is quite good for taking down the constructors and any other robot.

coasterguy65
Unfortunately I already cashed that in for both the first and second gun :(
Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Essian
Also, the constructors.... my god those things are brutal
ghstbstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8 ghstbstr
Member since 2006 • 8790 Posts

I only play the campaigns of games solo. I even played L4D 1 & 2 solo and they were fun, so BL 1 & 2 are alot of fun solo compared to those other 2 games.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#9 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

i agree that it's better when played with others, but i wouldn't say it's impossible alone. i beat the game by myself with the commando/soldier/whatever they are calling the turret guy now.

if you build your character well, you can do it by yourself. still, if you want a little help, jump into another player's game and play a little while until you get better loot (loot is more powerful the more players you are with). then you can go back into your own game with more firepower.

EDIT: also, in that particular area you are stuck in, you can probably take out one of the constructors with a vehicle.
SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#10 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts
I feel ya, that game pissed me off on many occasions as I was playing it alone. I pretty much had to level myself up at least 3 or 4 levels above the mission to level to even have a chance. It was actually easier the second time around though, at least for me. Also, I was playing as Zero, who I didn't find particularly useful for solo play for the most part. I did almost a full playthrough with the Bezerker dude, and he just annihilates everything. So really, just level up, level up more than you need to, because some enemies are ridiculously powerful, and if you aren't leveled up enough or don't have decent gear, you're pretty much screwed.
Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Essian
question: does jumping into another player's game online give you progress in your own game? Like, if I were to jump into an online game that someone else was hosting, and complete this quest, would it then be done in MY game when I went back to single player?
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
well the fact that you made it to level 24 and to Opportunity proves that you can play this alone.
MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MethodManFTW
question: does jumping into another player's game online give you progress in your own game? Like, if I were to jump into an online game that someone else was hosting, and complete this quest, would it then be done in MY game when I went back to single player?Essian
I'm not 100 percent sure on this one.. I know if you already have that quest, and beat it in a friends game, you will get completion for that quest in your game.. However, if you haven't got the quest already, I'm not sure what happens.
Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

I completed TVHM on siren and mechromancer from scratch, so it's definitely doable.

Essian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Essian
[QUOTE="Essian"]question: does jumping into another player's game online give you progress in your own game? Like, if I were to jump into an online game that someone else was hosting, and complete this quest, would it then be done in MY game when I went back to single player?MethodManFTW
I'm not 100 percent sure on this one.. I know if you already have that quest, and beat it in a friends game, you will get completion for that quest in your game.. However, if you haven't got the quest already, I'm not sure what happens.

well the first part helps at least, so thanks!
Gxgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Gxgear
Member since 2003 • 10425 Posts

[QUOTE="MethodManFTW"][QUOTE="Essian"]question: does jumping into another player's game online give you progress in your own game? Like, if I were to jump into an online game that someone else was hosting, and complete this quest, would it then be done in MY game when I went back to single player?Essian

well the first part helps at least, so thanks!

There will be a prompt asking you if you want to skip the quest. You do not get the rewards again from completing it a second time.

Avatar image for InstantKlassick
InstantKlassick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 InstantKlassick
Member since 2010 • 1161 Posts

Didn't like it anyway; one of the most overrated games Ive played, in my opinion...

TheTenth10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 TheTenth10
Member since 2006 • 3087 Posts

I am not real good at FPS, mostly can't see where I'm shot at and my aim is average. I finished Bioshock and platinumed Borderlands. I already died 10 times before lvl 5 where you get your special skill, and I could never beat the 2 brothers with the turret.

MondasM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19 MondasM
Member since 2008 • 1897 Posts
i have finished the game solo as well and did not encounter any problems because of difficulty... i advise you to finish up the side quests if you haven't done it already and do shoot at the weak spots of the constructors, they are tough but not impossible, it's been a while since i last played it, but if i remember correctly, you have to shoot their red "eye", it is best if you can time you shot when they are about to shoot or unleash other robots...
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#20 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

My brother completed it solo with little issues. If you take it slow and don't rush into missions your not equipped to deal with you'll be fine.

Venom_Raptor

hey bro what games u playing at the moment?:)

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#22 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
I beat it by myself, rather easy.. I was level 34 or 35 by the time I beat it.. I expected to be a lot higher. If it's too hard you need to go grind some xp. I only had to do that once to level up higher.
Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
I rented the game for a week and didn't have problems playing solo. I don't even play shooters but I could still handle myself unless I went to places where I was grossly underleveled (like once I was at like level 16 and I went to a place where bad guys were like level 25+). All I can say is try harder if you're getting your ass handed to you by baddies on your level and avoid going to places filled with folk who are noticeably above your level.
unrealtron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 unrealtron
Member since 2010 • 3148 Posts
I completed it by myself as a commando with no problems. I died, yes, but I wouldn't say it's impossible.
dogfather76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 dogfather76
Member since 2009 • 589 Posts

I think that it is a bit harder than most shooters, but don't think it's impossible. I did a lot of it on my own, but it's definately easier, and more fun, with others.

csadhoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26 csadhoo
Member since 2004 • 1462 Posts

you can't play it like a traditional FPS...I solo'd it with the gunzerker...little issues...sadly I have the PC version. Just be patient and pick your targets 

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MethodManFTW
Also, why don't you just have matchmaking set to public? I'm doing that on PC now and it is working out really well. Also, god damn the DLC for this game is really good... Some of the best locations and music in the whole game.
Boosh64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Boosh64
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
This, "Fink's Slaughterhouse" quest has me stumped. It's impossible to get past, "Round 2". For me, it starts out with 4 bad-ass rangers, followed by 6 bad-ass phys-co's all lobbing grenades at you from every direction. Get past that and the next half of the wave includes 8 standard phys-co's and 5 midget bad-ass phys-co's. Then if they fail to take you down the 10 Standard Goliath's come into play. Each one of these guys turns into a bad-ass when his death is near. If you manage to kill him, he comes back as a bad-ass at twice the power as when you took him down. I can't even tell you what comes after that, because I either die from lack of ammunition or I get ganged up on by the remaining Goliath's (3 or 4) and I have to repeat the whole level again. I've done it 27 times now and have gone from a level 16 to a level 21 soldier. With each new level the bad-ass guys advance too, up levels. I'm suppose to get through this section to even have a hope of finding the, "Flying Sanctuary" that's somewhere on another map. I give up. I wish this game mimicked parts of the old Borderlands where if your battling in an arena, you restart where you left off in each round, not all over again. This is dumb. I think I'll try to hack the disk and rewrite the code and make it easier. Who knows...
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#29 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
This, "Fink's Slaughterhouse" quest has me stumped. It's impossible to get past, "Round 2". For me, it starts out with 4 bad-ass rangers, followed by 6 bad-ass phys-co's all lobbing grenades at you from every direction. Get past that and the next half of the wave includes 8 standard phys-co's and 5 midget bad-ass phys-co's. Then if they fail to take you down the 10 Standard Goliath's come into play. Each one of these guys turns into a bad-ass when his death is near. If you manage to kill him, he comes back as a bad-ass at twice the power as when you took him down. I can't even tell you what comes after that, because I either die from lack of ammunition or I get ganged up on by the remaining Goliath's (3 or 4) and I have to repeat the whole level again. I've done it 27 times now and have gone from a level 16 to a level 21 soldier. With each new level the bad-ass guys advance too, up levels. I'm suppose to get through this section to even have a hope of finding the, "Flying Sanctuary" that's somewhere on another map. I give up. I wish this game mimicked parts of the old Borderlands where if your battling in an arena, you restart where you left off in each round, not all over again. This is dumb. I think I'll try to hack the disk and rewrite the code and make it easier. Who knows... Boosh64

i don't remember if i beat all the rounds with my soldier in solo, but i definitely got past round 2. the soldier is actually very good for solo play. if i ever have problems, i first go through all the other available side quests to make sure i'm the proper level. guns are probably even more important though, so hopefully you've been keeping the good drops and checking vending machines for rares.

the other thing is that your build might be ineffective. usually you want to focus on one of the three branches until you get the special ability (i went with the guerilla path, which would allow you get add rockets to your turret at level 21). there's a re-rolling machine at sanctuary, which you can get to without beating fink's slaughterhouse. the horde-mode arena areas are optional.

if you are really stuck, you could always cave in and play a little co-op in somebody else's game if that's an option. 4 player co-op games lead to incredible drops that you could bring back into your own game. you'd clean up against solo mode enemies.

Mar_Sama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 Mar_Sama
Member since 2012 • 93 Posts

I soloed the game, and sometimes i even use the Difficulty Slider to play alone as if 4 people were around. There is a possibility to pay Moxxi the feee money and get a SMG from her. Sometimes it's a Fire weapon but sometimes its corrosive.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

I beat BL2 solo 7 times.  I had a lvl 50 gunzerker, commando, and mechromancer.   With it's forgiving checkpoint system it was anything but hard.  Tedious but never challenging.

Now soloing raid bosses is something I've never been able to do.  My advice is to pay attention to elements, do all the side missions, and experiment with established character builds until you find one you like.

FWIW I found the commando most suitable for solo play.  The mechromancer is a broken piece of shit.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Boddicker

I soloed the game, and sometimes i even use the Difficulty Slider to play alone as if 4 people were around. There is a possibility to pay Moxxi the feee money and get a SMG from her. Sometimes it's a Fire weapon but sometimes its corrosive.

Mar_Sama

You only get the corrosive smg once per playthrough (the first time she gives you a gun).  For this reason some people prefer to max out the level cap before givin her any tips. 

All other smg's she gives you will be fire, though you can keep giving her money until you get one with parts you like.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Boddicker

This, "Fink's Slaughterhouse" quest has me stumped. It's impossible to get past, "Round 2". For me, it starts out with 4 bad-ass rangers, followed by 6 bad-ass phys-co's all lobbing grenades at you from every direction. Get past that and the next half of the wave includes 8 standard phys-co's and 5 midget bad-ass phys-co's. Then if they fail to take you down the 10 Standard Goliath's come into play. Each one of these guys turns into a bad-ass when his death is near. If you manage to kill him, he comes back as a bad-ass at twice the power as when you took him down. I can't even tell you what comes after that, because I either die from lack of ammunition or I get ganged up on by the remaining Goliath's (3 or 4) and I have to repeat the whole level again. I've done it 27 times now and have gone from a level 16 to a level 21 soldier. With each new level the bad-ass guys advance too, up levels. I'm suppose to get through this section to even have a hope of finding the, "Flying Sanctuary" that's somewhere on another map. I give up. I wish this game mimicked parts of the old Borderlands where if your battling in an arena, you restart where you left off in each round, not all over again. This is dumb. I think I'll try to hack the disk and rewrite the code and make it easier. Who knows... Boosh64

*facepalm*

The arena quests aren't necessary to get to flying Sanctuary.  There's another door like 20 feet from where you enter the Slaughterhouse.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts
I'm genuinely shocked at the shear number of people who would be in favour of "Power Struggles" and "Endurance Battles" that usualy follow games with level up systems, I get the appeal but I had no idea so many people loved it.