Any VR users experiencing motion sickness?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

User Lists: 0

#1 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

I'm just a couple hours away from opening my own VR. I was just curious to see how many people were affected by motion sickness.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

@JustPlainLucas: You gotta be more specific, VR motion sickness or just regular motion sickness?

Dave462a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Dave462a
Member since 2015 • 142 Posts

If you do get motion sickness you could try

1)taking a break

2)use VR while sitting

3) Eat ginger

4)recalibrate your vr headset

5) press options on your controller to Center the screen.

6)Try looking at a point in the game that's not moving

Hope this helps

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 JustPlainLucas

@GTR12 said:

@JustPlainLucas: You gotta be more specific, VR motion sickness or just regular motion sickness?

Motion sickness induced by VR.

Anyway, I played mine (Here They Lie) for about 30 minutes and started feeling nauseous. I'm just hoping that it was my dinner that was making me not feel well. I'm going to try it again on an empty stomach and see if I feel better.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GTR12

@JustPlainLucas said:
@GTR12 said:

Anyway, I played mine (Here They Lie) for about 30 minutes and started feeling nauseous. I'm just hoping that it was my dinner that was making me not feel well. I'm going to try it again on an empty stomach and see if I feel better.

I get that as well, but it takes me anywhere from 15 mins to an hour depending on the game, especially that rhythm racer type game, I get sick instantly.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JustPlainLucas

@GTR12 said:
@JustPlainLucas said:
@GTR12 said:

I get that as well, but it takes me anywhere from 15 mins to an hour depending on the game, especially that rhythm racer type game, I get sick instantly.

I played again tonight, and it wasn't as bad, but by the second checkpoint, I was definitely ready to take a break. I'm hoping I can build a tolerance to this?

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GTR12

@JustPlainLucas said:

I played again tonight, and it wasn't as bad, but by the second checkpoint, I was definitely ready to take a break. I'm hoping I can build a tolerance to this?

Cant answer that, only you can, but you did mention that you ate last time just before playing, what did you do this time?

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JustPlainLucas

@GTR12 said:
@JustPlainLucas said:

Cant answer that, only you can, but you did mention that you ate last time just before playing, what did you do this time?

I had dinner before I played it again, but it was healthier food. Who knows... maybe junk food and VR just don't mix.

Myron117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 Myron117
Member since 2013 • 1449 Posts

@JustPlainLucas: Be good to know if you have built up a tolerance at all?

This is a good experiment...

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JustPlainLucas

@Myron117 said:

@JustPlainLucas: Be good to know if you have built up a tolerance at all?

This is a good experiment...

Well, I am blogging about my experiences at the end of each day (not here though) so I will be able to track it. I'l return to this thread after a couple of days and report in.

agrippi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 agrippi
Member since 2003 • 1195 Posts

Generally speaking, it seems that most people who have been using VR for awhile talk about getting your VR "feet wet", so to speak. This is a different way for our body to experience stimuli and it is going to cause some confusion to your vestibular system. The main things I've heard mentioned are:

1. Start slow. Even though you are excited about playing the heck out of your PSVR..don't. 20-30 minutes might be all you can do initially.

2. Try acclimating to milder games first...something like SuperHyperCube, the Ocean experience in VR Worlds, etc. I would suggest NOT trying Eve, Rigs, or Driveclub right off the bat. Even Rez put me on edge the first time I played it. I did really well in Batman too...and that has been a great experience. The London Heist was another great experience that I handled well, but still had quite a bit going on.

3. Most importantly, listen to your body. If your brain tells you to GTFO, then do so. Don't fight through that feeling. Come back another day and try again. If you get really ill from playing, you won't want to go back. It is incredibly cool technology...but developers are just trying to figure out the best way to make games for this...and our bodies are trying to acclimate to something they weren't programmed to do. And that is fo real.