1st Ps3 game: MGS4 Dissapointed

• 78 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

acsguitar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#1 acsguitar
Member since 2005 • 1840 Posts

Got a Ps3 on saturday. Was all excited because MGS4 had been waiting for a week at my house from Gamefly.

Boy am I dissapointed. I'm not gonna comment on it being GOTY in some circles. I'll just point out what I think stinks about it. I was young when I played MGS on the PS so maybe its the same.

1. LONG LONG LONG LONG MANY MANY MANY Cut Scenes. WAYYYYYY To many!!!

2. Crappy controls. GOOOD GOD. I hope all PS3 games don't have such awful controls

3. Crappy Camera. Seriously its an awful jerky wacky camera

4. Cover system: I guess you can call it that. Really its a strange system where you barely hump a wall whithout being able to tell if you are actually humping the wall. Firing while covering? Yea I guess

5. The 1st person view: Why? And now that we have it why is it so slow to aim.

6. No auto save? WTF. I played like 45 minutes and then forgot to Auto Save and had to do it all over again.

I'm gonna give it a few more shots here but man it would be a shame to have to send it back to Gamefly already.

THQ88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 THQ88
Member since 2008 • 1362 Posts
Fission Mailed
hardrocknguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 hardrocknguy
Member since 2008 • 26 Posts
disappointed? MSG4 was awesome. haven't you played any of the other Metal Gear Solid games before?
hazelnutman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 hazelnutman
Member since 2007 • 9688 Posts
1. Welcome to MGS4. 2. MGS is part of a genre of games where you have the option to sneak by your enemies. Such controls were made for this. Get used to it because it was perfect for me. Maybe you just need to practice. 3. Maybe you just suck at controlling the camera? I thought the camera was great. 4. It's not really meant to be a cover system. More like a peer-around-corners for stealth and a camouflage system. 5. First person view is for precise aiming. If you want a first person experience, then go look elsewhere. 6. Oh wow. Way to take the initiative in finding out beforehand.
acsguitar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#5 acsguitar
Member since 2005 • 1840 Posts

disappointed? MSG4 was awesome. haven't you played any of the other Metal Gear Solid games before?hardrocknguy

Yea I was probably 14 when I played MGS on the PS1. I REALLY liked it. I don't know what it is. I LOVE the graphics. Think its a cool game but I feel really awkward with it. Maybe its the PS3 controller that I haven't used in a while

OBonus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 OBonus
Member since 2008 • 142 Posts
dude i know everyone has there own opinion, so mine for you is "go jump off a bridge"
Paladin_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 Paladin_King
Member since 2008 • 11832 Posts
[QUOTE="acsguitar"]

Got a Ps3 on saturday. Was all excited because MGS4 had been waiting for a week at my house from Gamefly.

Boy am I dissapointed. I'm not gonna comment on it being GOTY in some circles. I'll just point out what I think stinks about it. I was young when I played MGS on the PS so maybe its the same.

2. Crappy controls. GOOOD GOD. I hope all PS3 games don't have such awful controls

4. Cover system: I guess you can call it that. Really its a strange system where you barely hump a wall whithout being able to tell if you are actually humping the wall. Firing while covering? Yea I guess

6. No auto save? WTF. I played like 45 minutes and then forgot to Auto Save and had to do it all over again.

I'm gonna give it a few more shots here but man it would be a shame to have to send it back to Gamefly already.

It just isn't the game for you. You clearly had no idea what you were getting into. At the very least, you should've known about the cutscenes. And why are the controls crappy? elaborate? i had no problems with it or the camera and the cover system was manageable as well. I mean, it wasn't Gears as far as cover goes, but then, that's pretty much the biggest mechanic IN gears so i can't fault it for that.
Avatar image for GreenGoblin2099
GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GreenGoblin2099
Member since 2004 • 16988 Posts

acsguitar

1- I have no beef with a lot of long cutscenes as long as they are cool. I guess most of them are ok, but some of them bored me and I considered myself a big MGS fan before. Now I'm still a fan, but I don't get to praise MGS4 as much a s many people.

2- I don't know what is so crappy about them... except the FPS mode, but this is no FPS, so who cares??

3- Camera is the same as in MGS3 Subsistance, and I don't think is crappy at all. It's a shame they didn't include the good ol bird side view from past games though.

4- Yeah, I didn't used it at all tbh. I prefer the old style of flatten to walls.

5- Read 2.

6- No MGS has auto-save. This one wasn't a problem for me or any true MGS fan.

All in all, I can say that you're either a newbie for MGS or a troll. But as I don't know anything about you, I'll just assume is the former so well, that sucks. It could0ve been a better experience if you were a MGS fan tbh.

PS3videos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 PS3videos
Member since 2007 • 834 Posts
So this person didn't like the game. So what? I personally think it's one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. But that's me. To each his own.
Avatar image for sinistergoggles
sinistergoggles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 sinistergoggles
Member since 2005 • 9919 Posts
Wow.. :lol: Just return the game, please.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 avataraang1
Member since 2006 • 5436 Posts

acsguitar
1-Yep 2-What?! 3-Same as always. Welcome to third person view 4-Same as always except your back isnt on the wall your side is 5-Click triangle 6-Sorry
taplok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#12 taplok
Member since 2005 • 4473 Posts

The MGS series has always had long cutscenes, it's a part of the story. i played all the MGS games on the PS 1,2 and 3, i loved the series and everything about it... and that's my opinion, i respect yours as well...

CJ37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 CJ37
Member since 2008 • 202 Posts
On the bright side you just paid $60 for one of the best CGI movies ever made
theMarshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 theMarshell
Member since 2008 • 602 Posts
I only played two of them the first one and portable ops, and I personally love MGS4 it did start off boring and I was thinking the same as you, untill I say the cutscene of the B&B core ans I was hooked.
burstlimit514

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#15 burstlimit514
Member since 2008 • 644 Posts
Like some people like us MGS is not the game for us. My first was assasins creed!
eclipse_115_89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 eclipse_115_89
Member since 2004 • 76 Posts

if u enjoyed mgs1 then its surprising why ur complaining about mgs4. anyways the controls do take some time getting used to but once u get the hang of it its just as good as playing with a mouse...well maybe i shouldnt go that far but ive met some ppl who preffer the analog to the mouse. with that said give this game more time and learn to appreciate the CGs. Afterall, i thinkone of the strongest selling points of the metal gear series isnt its gameplay mechanics(even though they're top notch) but its engrossing story. (theres an entire friggin novel on just mgs1 for crying out loud!)

thebisonx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 thebisonx
Member since 2003 • 2203 Posts

Everyone is entitled to their opinions, but really? You are disappointed with MGS4? It is amazing!

Blasphemy!

xmitchconnorx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 xmitchconnorx
Member since 2007 • 2649 Posts
No taste. Why does some random person have to try to stir up trouble on here by complaining about MGS4 every few weeks?
Christoph410

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 Christoph410
Member since 2005 • 28 Posts

hey relax, if you had already played MGS from PS then you knew already how the game was going to be, everything. And the control....what's up with that, its great!

Kikouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21 Kikouken
Member since 2006 • 15913 Posts
Sounds like your first MGS game...Meaning you know nothing about metal gear.
orbis_mortis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#22 orbis_mortis
Member since 2008 • 420 Posts
I thought the game was excellent and I have played another MGS. You might just have to get used to the controls, because they are different than any other game I have played.
Puscifer_No1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Puscifer_No1
Member since 2006 • 2769 Posts
Of course the cutscenes are going to be long, this is EPIC!! Besides all controls are weird from the get go, do you honestly think KONAMI would stick to the same layout with each MGS? that would be ridiculous
Devourment423

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Devourment423
Member since 2005 • 2163 Posts
I actually agree, but you should have known before you made this thread that most kids are MGS fanboys and think their opinion of this game is fact. You might also get the elitist telling you that you don't like innovation in games or something like that. Oh well. I haven't read all the responses, but that's just my guess. I didn't really like this game either. Go get Uncharted or something.
bigd575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

#25 bigd575
Member since 2008 • 6192 Posts
I thought it was such a great game too bad you didn't like it though.
MusashiSensi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#26 MusashiSensi
Member since 2004 • 9584 Posts
To each their own. For all of those who are trying to bash him remember that this is his opinion.
stangen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27 stangen
Member since 2004 • 273 Posts
As far as I remember the other Metal Gears didn't have such long cut scenes, turned out to be a snooze fest for me too, good thing I decided to rent it first.
Unassigned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Unassigned
Member since 2004 • 1970 Posts

acsguitar

Don't feel bad, you're not the only one who felt this way. Especially about #1 (Long cut scenes). Even on my 60" Sony XBR at 1080p this game only looked "OK". I've seen better. Oh well, there alot of other games on various consoles which I enjoy playing more often.

Nightrain76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Nightrain76
Member since 2003 • 334 Posts

The only MSG game I have ever played was MGS4. Even though I didn't get the entire story, it is safe to say this is the greatest video game ever made. Mad GTAIV look like a joke.

Xepheon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#30 Xepheon
Member since 2006 • 401 Posts

Yes, MGS4 totally sucked. The graphics were only average, because I've seen better in other games like, uh... Disgaea 3. But seriously, if you can handle MGS1, then you can handle MGS4. I lost count of the times in MGS1 when I wanted Snake to lie down, and he stood up instead and got himself killed. MGS3 is actually harder to control than MGS4 due to utilizing so much pressure sensitivity with the buttons. I'd fire an AK-47 accidentally and set off an alarm because I pushed the square button a little too hard. So, as I recall, there was a learning curve for me in each of the MGS games before I was decent at them. If I was you, I would spend some time in the VR training room until I knew what I was doing with the controls. All you need to do is memorize which buttons do what, like any other game. It's just that the MGS games are unique compared to other games, not like COD4 where you can come from another FPS game and already know what you're doing.

I'm almost tempted to think you're trolling here, because there are so many things you can pull off to get through MGS4's levels other than using first person view. Anyway, I think it's fine if people don't like MGS4. The only thing that doesn't make sense is when people get the game and then they're surprised about the length of the cutscenes or that it's actually a stealth/action game. It's like you didn't watch any of the trailers, or maybe download the free demos from the PSN store (MGO demo and MGS4 demo). Don't buy it just because it's the GOTY!

1uP_OnYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 1uP_OnYou
Member since 2008 • 3183 Posts
I can respect your opinion however it has failed.
CJ37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 CJ37

I thought just like you at first. I thought Metal Gear part 4 had failed me but then after reading the posts on this forum I realized that MGS4 was worth another try. I played it again with an open mind and it changed my life.

Give it one more try !

jpridgen0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#33 jpridgen0
Member since 2005 • 1864 Posts
dude i know everyone has there own opinion, so mine for you is "go jump off a bridge"OBonus
lol
kingmickey2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#34 kingmickey2
Member since 2006 • 759 Posts
Finish the game then come back here and tell us how you feel.
CJ37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 CJ37
Eating popcorn while playing may make it a better experience since its like a Game/Movie all-in-one
jjtiebuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#36 jjtiebuckle
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts
I definitely agree about the controls. The pre-game show was so intriguing with the demo's and Japanese explanations, but they didn't score the final touchdown. Another reason why I wasn't too fond of MGS 3 either.
GodofBigMacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 GodofBigMacs
Member since 2008 • 6440 Posts
On the bright side you just paid $60 for one of the best CGI movies ever madeCJ37
Seriously we need to ban you... I'm not even kidding. I'm getting absolutely sick of you and your mockery and complete disregard of us liking the game.
GatCloudX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 GatCloudX
Member since 2008 • 1459 Posts
i dont care i love that game
Warriorboy1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#39 Warriorboy1990
Member since 2008 • 3813 Posts
[QUOTE="acsguitar"]

GreenGoblin2099

1- I have no beef with a lot of long cutscenes as long as they are cool. I guess most of them are ok, but some of them bored me and I considered myself a big MGS fan before. Now I'm still a fan, but I don't get to praise MGS4 as much a s many people.

2- I don't know what is so crappy about them... except the FPS mode, but this is no FPS, so who cares??

3- Camera is the same as in MGS3 Subsistance, and I don't think is crappy at all. It's a shame they didn't include the good ol bird side view from past games though.

4- Yeah, I didn't used it at all tbh. I prefer the old style of flatten to walls.

5- Read 2.

6- No MGS has auto-save. This one wasn't a problem for me or any true MGS fan.

All in all, I can say that you're either a newbie for MGS or a troll. But as I don't know anything about you, I'll just assume is the former so well, that sucks. It could0ve been a better experience if you were a MGS fan tbh.

MGS4 DOES have auto save, it just auto saves after every act!
Tree06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Tree06
Member since 2006 • 3552 Posts
Is the TC serious? I mean it was the only game that I bought for the PS3. Actually I got it for free brand new..don't ask. Anyway I loved every second of the game. It was one of the main selling points for me. I mean the cutscenes were long but they needed. You couldn't compress 25mins into a short 5min cutscene. But maybe you should give it another shot, it really is a great game.
GodofBigMacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41 GodofBigMacs
Member since 2008 • 6440 Posts
^No, awhile back he created a topic saying how he didn't like MGS4... And to "atone" for it, he is now being completely sarcastic with every post being about trying to mock us for liking the game...
kingdre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 kingdre
Member since 2005 • 9456 Posts
1. This is MGS we're talking about. Anyone who has played the previous games should be used to long cutscenes. 2. It took some getting used to but I got the hang of it pretty quick. If you think the controls sucks, that's your problem. 3. I didn't notice the camera part. 4. Didn't give the cover system much thought either. 5. If you don't like it, don't use it. It was just added to give the game a different feel. Simple as that. 6. I had the same problem at first. If you don't make a habit of saving every once in a while... that's on you.
tonesonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 tonesonic
Member since 2008 • 374 Posts
I actually agree, but you should have known before you made this thread that most kids are MGS fanboys and think their opinion of this game is fact. You might also get the elitist telling you that you don't like innovation in games or something like that. Oh well. I haven't read all the responses, but that's just my guess. I didn't really like this game either. Go get Uncharted or something.Devourment423
Agreed. I retured the game after three seperate goes at getting into it..Sure, the visuals were amazing, the cutscenes looked great and the gameplay was in depth; but the temptation to kill everyone always got the better of me, so I swapped it out for WAW and am loving it. It isn't for everyone, but I have to agree some of the fanboy comments which border on fanatical aggression are pretty good for a laugh... I was well aware of the long cut scenes, the stealth play, the auto game saves et al, but hey, it wasnt the game for me... be careful here though man, MGS certainly has some, erm, enthusiastic fans !!!
Red_Nine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Red_Nine
Member since 2007 • 123 Posts
6. I had the same problem at first. If you don't make a habit of saving every once in a while... that's on you.kingdre
Only problem with that is that it only saves at the checkpoints. Saving in the middle of an area won't start you off again at that exact point; it'll send you back to the beginning of that area when you start up again.
bigboss_gil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 bigboss_gil
Member since 2007 • 165 Posts

yon

[QUOTE="OBonus"]dude i know everyone has there own opinion, so mine for you is "go jump off a bridge"jpridgen0
lol

I dont think anyone could have said it any better.

savinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 savinger
Member since 2007 • 1309 Posts
True about cutscenes, the rest just sounds a bit noobish.
pigsybum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 70

#48 pigsybum
Member since 2004 • 1675 Posts
i bet the Threadstarter won't enjoy any games coming.
alstevens83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#49 alstevens83
Member since 2008 • 1462 Posts
Woah, what the cut scenes was too long? Really I thought they was just right for me.
hotfiree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 hotfiree
Member since 2006 • 2185 Posts
I thought the same about the controls, until i got better go practice in the vr area thing on the main menu MGS is known for its long cutscenes so you obviously havent played it before....