So 'Playstation Network' is now officially 'PSN'...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#1 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

I finally got around to installing the latest system update, but I couldn't help noticing that one of the changes in this update was that the Playstation Network is now changed to read as 'PSN' on the system.

I just want to take a moment to reflect on how odd that is.

Sure, we call it PSN, especially when we write or type it out.  And I get that people like short, catchy terms to describe stuff.  But does it really need to be simplified everywhere now?

Some poor fool is probably gonna come along and get a PS4 one day and be all like, "PSN?  What's PSN?  Aw $%@#!, you mean to tell me there's a new Playstation system coming out already?" Lol.  Not only that, it just seemed...  Idk, a little more professional to explain what those three letters stand for on the system.

It kind of reminds me of how Mountain Dew changed their logo to read "Mt. Dew".  I am shocked that people still read it as "mountain" when they say the name aloud, so I guess not all hope is lost.  I just dread the day when some kid can't explain what PSN stands for.  If someone asks they'll say, "It's... You know, that online thing for the Pee-Ess-Four.  It lets you play games with people if you pay for it every month.  And you get free games with it.  That thing."

Anyone else sharing in my thoughts?  XD

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#2 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts
Didn't even notice it. I didn't even know it was spelled out prior, but I guess it seems odd looking at it now. I don't think it will cause any problems, especially when one signs up for it. I'm sure it'll be obvious that Playstation Network = PSN. Then again, I think our accounts are actually called "SEN" accounts or something for Sony Entertainment Network, so that may cause a little confusion. Overall I don't think it's a big deal, you're over thinking it :P
Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#3 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts
Wait, so what happened to SEN? They dropped that as well?
MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
Wait, so what happened to SEN? They dropped that as well?Articuno76
Nah, PSN is a part of SEN.
marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

No idea why they would change it, but it makes no difference really.

pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#6 pillarrocks
Member since 2005 • 3639 Posts
I noticed it in the firmware update release notes.
ez_moneymaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ez_moneymaker
Member since 2006 • 1211 Posts
Kids will get it. They abbreviate everything anyways. How do you say mountain dew? M- T Dew?
RatedSTARZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#8 RatedSTARZ
Member since 2013 • 400 Posts

Lol. Rofl. LMAO. :P Gotta abbreviate everything nowadays xD. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#9 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

@ez_moneymaker said:
Kids will get it. They abbreviate everything anyways. How do you say mountain dew? M- T Dew?

I apologize for bumping this thread just to respond... Anyway, I read it as Mountain Dew because that's what I've always called it, but I can see younger people calling it "Mount" Dew, like the literal abbreviation "Mt."

I guess it doesn't really matter, but that's just an example I always come back to.

On a similar not, another thing that bugs me for some reason is... Not so much an abbreviation as it is a shortening of a word: "thru". Usually you'll see it on drive-thrus and thruways on the highway. I guess that one bugs me so much because I was always taught to spell the word "through".

I swear, I can see why the English must cringe when we Americans talk and spell stuff.

Mickeyminime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#10 Mickeyminime
Member since 2008 • 1581 Posts

I thought something was different about that, i was like "hmmm, have you changed or did you always look like that O.o"