Bansheezs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#1 Bansheezs
Member since 2003 • 590 Posts

I am confused since I have never owned the move or the ps4 camera. I know there is a light thingy on the front of the ps4 controller. Is this the same thing as ps move? So can I use my normal ps4 controller in place of a ps move controller? I was wondering if I could use my ps4 controller in just dance instead of the ps move controller.

TheTenth10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 TheTenth10
Member since 2006 • 3087 Posts

the light thing is used to identify gamers in a local multiplayer game (without camera)

in some games the color changes depending on your health (glows bright red when you're about to die) or flashing to warn of something
it will/could be used as a limited PS Move in the future (the Move is great though held as a tennis racket, golf club, baseball bat ... fells more natural than half holding the DualShock)

Sophette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Sophette
Member since 2005 • 521 Posts

I'm still waiting on a game like Alan Wake, or even Silent Hill where you can use the move controller as a real time flashlight. I suppose that could also work with the PS4 controller. I wish developers would at least try.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

@TheTenth10 said:

the light thing is used to identify gamers in a local multiplayer game (without camera)

in some games the color changes depending on your health (glows bright red when you're about to die) or flashing to warn of something

it will/could be used as a limited PS Move in the future (the Move is great though held as a tennis racket, golf club, baseball bat ... fells more natural than half holding the DualShock)

That's the most bizarre thing they did, and I cannot believe people raved about it, I mean you hold a controller and tell me while playing a game can you see the light bar, and the answer is absolutely not, plus it's at the front so it's impossible to see anyway lol

Lhomity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5  Edited By Lhomity
Member since 2011 • 508 Posts

@Sophette: Until Dawn is expected to launch sometime this year. Uses Move for flash light in-game.

See here: http://www.supermassivegames.com/games/until-dawn

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#6 Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

@bezza2011: You can see the light just fine. It colour your fingers during natural controller grip (where your fingers are near the triggers/light).

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bezza2011

@Articuno76 said:

@bezza2011: You can see the light just fine. It colour your fingers during natural controller grip (where your fingers are near the triggers/light).

:S so your telling me when your playing a game you have the controller near your face, I don't even need to look at the controller never mind being in my field of view, and what it colours your fingers :S I've never heard anything like it, nobody looks at the controller, the only way you could see your fingers on the triggers or the light is if you hold your controller near your face in your field of view while playing, anything else is pointless

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Articuno76
@bezza2011 said:

@Articuno76 said:

:S so your telling me when your playing a game you have the controller near your face, I don't even need to look at the controller never mind being in my field of view, and what it colours your fingers :S I've never heard anything like it, nobody looks at the controller, the only way you could see your fingers on the triggers or the light is if you hold your controller near your face in your field of view while playing, anything else is pointless

Erm no. You just look at your fingers holding the controller since the lightbar bathes them in colour. Have you never seen coloured lights before or something? If you put something near them it colours them. Why are you finding this concept so difficult to understand?

You don't need to hold it near your face.

If you can see your fingers when you are holding the controller (which you can at rest/regular arm length) then you can pick up the light. And since the controller is ahead of your face (the same direction as the TV) you'll pick up changes in colour in peripheral vision so you don't have to look at the controller.

It works because knowing what colour the light is on a second-by-second basis isn't important, you only need to know what colour it changes to and the fact that it is changed. And again, that's something you'll catch with peripheral vision.

If you don't believe me hold a controller at regular arms' length. Now look at the controller. If you can't see the controller (and your fingers resting on it) a mere arm span from your face then you have a visual impairment of some kind... or your using an Xbox controller where the finger rest on triggers that are not visible from front-on.

And this isn't even factoring in that the lightbar is clearly visible in reflections on the TV itself, giving you a direct forward-facing view of the lightbar :S In fact it's so obvious that many people asked Sony to tone the lightbar down (which they did in later firmware releases).

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 bezza2011

@Articuno76: how the .... do you hold the controller :S the light bar and fingers and triggers are facing away from me, I have no need to look down at my controller, I'm not a kid and play in my small bedroom that i'm that close that the light bar reflects off a tv, I sit a good distance away that the light bar doesn't even effect the tv, I hold my controller pretty much on my knee with it facing down, I don't hold my controller up, which would be the only way you could see it, but i will give it a go and see if i can see it light up on my fingers and yet i'm guessing that only works in a darkened room

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Articuno76

@bezza2011: Situation is exactly the same as yours only the bar does reflect off the TV.

And I'm not alone. As you can see. Chances are you've simply mentally blocked it out.

I find it staggeringly hard to believe you're completely oblivious to one of the most complained features of the DS4 (reflections) and even harder to belive that you hold a controller that is moulded to be held vertically (at an angle) in a full on forward facing position. That's not natural dude.

Even if you have it on your kness the controller should NOT be flat on your knees. No fucking way. It would kill your wrist to hold a controller locked down into a flat position at full arms length. The controller IS NOT made that way.

It's supposed to be held upwards at a tilt, and if any part is resting on your knees it should be the feet of the grips (again the balls of the feet should be angled so the controller slants away at you at an angle, either upwards or downwards, but most likely upwards), not the back of the controller. In other words the controller should be at an angle where the light-bar is facing up but still viewable on the TV. A position where the light is visible on your fingers.

There's no way your knees are totally straight. If they were that means the surface you are sitting is so painfully hard that it has no give, and so your kness stay completely fixedly straight. Either that, or the surface does have give and your playing long game sessions locked into a painful forced position... which I highly doubt.

This is angle you should be holding the controller. Albeit with the floor replaced with your knees. You know. The exact same way your hands and the controller grips are shaped? In actual play the light bar would be reflecting off the glass panel seen behind the controller (which is the same space your fingers occupy).

The only way you could conceivably hold the controller flat is if you are using four fingers on the back of the controller... which isn't how you hold PlayStation controllers. You are only supposed to have your forefingers on the triggers (resting normally on the triggers or on older DS controllers between the gaps between the 1's and 2's shoulder buttons).

So the real question is. How are you holding the controller that it doesn't angle like the picture below?

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Short answer... yes the light bar is basically the move. It's pretty obvious that the PS4 camera was originally supposed to come with the system, and was probably dropped at the last minute to make the price more attractive. There really is no other point to having such a big, bright light bar on the front of the controller where no one can really see it. The Playroom app that is included on the PS4 uses the DS4's lightbar to track the controller. Just like it would if it were a Move Controller.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 bezza2011

@Articuno76: Ok well on my chair at work playing my ps4 I hold my controller on top of my legs, I wouldn't say it's facing down more straight forward like you'd put it on a desk say,

At home I have a 60in display, and that to i curl up on the sofa with my hands hold the controller more or less resting on my legs or just above the same way i can be on the computer typing this message without once having to look or see the keyboard in view, even holding it up, why would anyone even notice the light going different colours when your concentrating whats happening on screen, I know about the light bar reflecting off the tv, but most of the time this is due to being in a small bedroom and being level with the tv, or when your sat in a pitch black room which any light would reflect off the tv, but luckily for me my tv is at an angle or i sit on angle so my controller alot of the time isn't facing the tv, unless i turn my chair around, can you honestly tell me is there much point to the light bar for the reason's they give, like it flashes and changes colour when your dying, who cares because on screen you know your at that point, you dont need a light to tell you that.