No point in PS3 with NGP on the horizon?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DarxPhil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#1 DarxPhil
Member since 2007 • 1135 Posts

If the NGP is going to be capable of almost PS3 like visuals and with a similar game lineup, then really whats the point in getting a PS3?

PS3 does have some great exclusives coming up though this year, but with NGP on the horizon, i don't see a point in owning the console after that.

OrianaDorta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 OrianaDorta
Member since 2005 • 3114 Posts

Some people like to sit on the couch in front of a 50" HDTV with great sound system and all that stuff that the NGP doesn't have...

321orez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 321orez
Member since 2010 • 83 Posts
It's not going to be a portable PS3. If it was it would be a very stupid marketing move that they wouldn't make because it would affect PS3 sales Not to mention, battery life, sound, small screen, single player
Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#4 Masenkoe
Member since 2007 • 4897 Posts

NGP is a handheld... PS3 is a console... of course theres still a point in owning a PS3!

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts
Big tv with surround sound
KurupSoldr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 KurupSoldr
Member since 2006 • 4094 Posts

Wow i dont think the NGP is going to be like a slimmer ps3 now come on, i am starting to hear its not really all that special actually from other forums i have been on. Also even if it was close playing on that small a screen would drive me nuts

23Jarek23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 23Jarek23
Member since 2009 • 2647 Posts

If the NGP was capable of PS3's power do you really think the slim would be nearly as big as it is? lol @ common sense.

DarxPhil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#8 DarxPhil
Member since 2007 • 1135 Posts

If the NGP was capable of PS3's power do you really think the slim would be nearly as big as it is? lol @ common sense.

23Jarek23

I never claimed it was as powerful as the PS3. Im mainly talking about the fact that the same game engines are capable of running on such a handheld. No one denies the PS3 is beefier hardware wise. That is in fact common sense.

Zathic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#9 Zathic
Member since 2007 • 1946 Posts

NGP looks good, but not as good as PS3

lightleggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 65

#10 lightleggy
Member since 2008 • 16090 Posts

[QUOTE="23Jarek23"]

DarxPhil

I never claimed it was as powerful as the PS3. Im mainly talking about the fact that the same game engines are capable of running on such a handheld. No one denies the PS3 is beefier hardware wise. That is in fact common sense.

then its also a fact to say: no, it wont replace it and the point in getting a ps3 will remain the same...NGP is a handheld, PS3 is a console, I preffer to use a console instead of a handheld...its sweat to sit in front of a huge HD tv with surround sound and game than doing the same stuff on a smaller screen and with less quality. also, the lineup is not the same...there are still exclusives for PS3 and multiplats...I doubt that most multiplats will also go to the NGP
KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

NGP looks garbage compared to ps3...get a ps3.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

I hope the NGP gives you the option to hook it up to the TV in fullscreen this time. Or at least bigger than the PSP with smaller black borders.

ipumpmygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ipumpmygun
Member since 2007 • 456 Posts

If the NGP is going to be capable of almost PS3 like visuals and with a similar game lineup, then really whats the point in getting a PS3?

PS3 does have some great exclusives coming up though this year, but with NGP on the horizon, i don't see a point in owning the console after that.

DarxPhil

Wait and see what happens.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

No way I'd ever pick the NGP over a PS3. You just can't compare the two with one on a tiny ass screen and the other on a large HDVT.

Hammstray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 Hammstray
Member since 2010 • 890 Posts

PS3 hooked up to a 3DTV gives the effect of 3D for games like Motorstorm Apocalypse/3D Rift, pretty sure Killzone 3 has 3D and more games. PS3 has some games you can't get (or are not confirmed for the NGP) yet like Infamous or Ratchet and Clank. I amdefinitely getting an NGP though! :D

dk00111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 dk00111
Member since 2007 • 3123 Posts
The NGP will be inferior to the PS3 the same way that he PSP was inferior to the PS2. The PS3 already has a great line up with even more great games coming soon, while software support for the NGP looks sketchy. If you want PORTABLE gaming, get an iPhone/iPod Touch. If you want high quality gaming, get a console or PC. If you want a horrible mix between the two, get a handheld.
WhorrorLoLz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 WhorrorLoLz
Member since 2011 • 218 Posts
I wouldn't think too much into their claim that it'll match the PS3's graphics. You will be disappointed. It will be launch PS3 graphics at best. Maybe slightly better graphics after time, but it won't match recent PS3 games.
gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

PS3 is a main console and NGP is a handheld. The two systems are not comparable. PS3 has a lot of games on it while NGP doesn't have that much. We know nothing about NGP, so no one can say what will be on it. The batterly life will take a huge hit just like the 3DS did.

BibiMaghoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BibiMaghoo
Member since 2009 • 4018 Posts
NGP is not HiDef people, check the screen resolution. It may be pretty, but its no PS3, not by a long shot. wont stop me from buying one though
Swavo69420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Swavo69420
Member since 2006 • 808 Posts
Plus the games will be different... Naughty Dog is not making Uncharted for NGP, South Bend is which is a good developer but no where in Naughty Dog's neighborhood... Resistence is in the same boat Nihilistic Software is developing it not Insomniac... South Bend is good but Nihilistic has yet to prove they can develop game of a major franchise for NGP... Major game developers are so focused on consoles that they will not be the ones developing for handhelds... Even multiplatform games like COD... They are plucking people from other development teams trying to finish MW3, So they won't be making it... I'm excited for NGP as I preordered one on gamestop just in time with a $1,000 place holder but I'm not stupid because I don't expect it to be on par with PS3 or even 360 because like I said the major developers aren't going to be the ones making the games...
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#22 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

it will not be as powerful as ps3 near it but not quite so much

if anything you should be worried about project cafe cause that will in deed match ps3s stuff , if not surpass it ,

but still ps3 is cheaper then the ngp ,

and still has good games where as ngp hasnt started and looks like it wont get but spinoffs of main games , that said its ur decision

dk00111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dk00111
Member since 2007 • 3123 Posts
[QUOTE="BibiMaghoo"]NGP is not HiDef people, check the screen resolution. It may be pretty, but its no PS3, not by a long shot. wont stop me from buying one though

High definition doesn't mean much by itself. Pixel density is a much more important measuring stick, especially when it comes down to comparing screens of greatly different sizes.