Major retailers to stop selling Vita?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2014/07/02/ps-vita-no-longer-available-at-major-retailers/92408/

I'm starting to think that they have finally given up on Vita. Its probably for the best too. If all its going to do is suck money from Sony's nearly empty pockets then they had to make decisions. Now Sony can focus solely on the PS4.

SpiderLuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 SpiderLuke
Member since 2006 • 719 Posts

I don't know, it's one of my favorite current systems now. I can say I use it more than my 3DS. I've got about 50 free games, roughly, from PSplus ... so it's been a great value. Most people that own a Vita I know love it. There are quite a few titles on it so far. Maybe they didn't focus much on it at E3, but titles still are being released for it.

I wouldn't trust a site that's trying to stir up a war based on speculation.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 bunchanumbers

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-06-19/sony-ceo-apologizes-as-ps4-maker-restructures-on-loss-forecast.html

That one is general state of Sony. 103 billion lost since its peak.

http://www.nasdaq.com/article/sony-admits-ps-vita-is-currently-a-failure-cm215625

Here's a article where Sony is admitting that Vita is a failure.

And I don't need to put up a article about Sony reducing AAA game support for Vita. Which is funny because in the Vita is a failure article, they say that what will save the vita will be games. As for profitability, it probably is profitable now. But it still wouldn't make up for the time when vita was sold at a loss or the development cost. Although to be fair I'm sure its nowhere on the scale of PS3.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By bunchanumbers

@tempura13 said:

Ah, yes. I'm aware that Sony as a whole is in a tight financial spot.

However, that article you posted isn't an accurate assessment of the Vita's current situation (and I don't think I've read someone from Sony outright admitting that its a failure so early in its lifespan). The big price cut happened months after that article, and software started to gain traction as well. Sony won't be putting more resources on the platform (PS4 takes priority, like you said), but that doesn't mean they'll stop supporting it all together.

And yeah, it's profitable. Vita owners buy lots of games, and we still keep getting games. No need to hit the panic button just yet :3

Actually vita owners rarely buy games. Most wait for the games to become free on Vita. This means that with no game sales, games on vita don't become profitable. PS+ is great for the free games but it doesn't help Sony. Here's a list of games sold on Vita, and you'll see that only 1 game has sold over a million copies. Wii U has more titles to sell over a million even with a smaller user base. Many titles with over 2 million sold as well.

http://www.vgchartz.com/platform/43/playstation-vita/

dipdish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 5

#7 dipdish
Member since 2008 • 876 Posts

No, they have not given up on the Vita.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#8  Edited By Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

@bunchanumbers: Does that count digital sales? Digital makes up almost half of Vita purchases.

Those figures don't jive with developer reports (especially smaller developers/indies who attest to Vita owners being voracious for content. The userbase of the Vita seems to by wide rather than deep.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#9 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@bunchanumbers: it's been documented, they're out. The demand has soared after the success after PS4

MethodManFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 MethodManFTW
Member since 2009 • 26516 Posts

@bunchanumbers said:

@tempura13 said:

However, that article you posted isn't an accurate assessment of the Vita's current situation (and I don't think I've read someone from Sony outright admitting that its a failure so early in its lifespan). The big price cut happened months after that article, and software started to gain traction as well. Sony won't be putting more resources on the platform (PS4 takes priority, like you said), but that doesn't mean they'll stop supporting it all together.

And yeah, it's profitable. Vita owners buy lots of games, and we still keep getting games. No need to hit the panic button just yet :3

Actually vita owners rarely buy games. Most wait for the games to become free on Vita. This means that with no game sales, games on vita don't become profitable. PS+ is great for the free games but it doesn't help Sony. Here's a list of games sold on Vita, and you'll see that only 1 game has sold over a million copies. Wii U has more titles to sell over a million even with a smaller user base. Many titles with over 2 million sold as well.

vgchartz is not reputable at all.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@bunchanumbers said:

@tempura13 said:

Over 60% of Vita software sales are digital

Also the Vita is doing so well that it's sold out. They can't keep up with demand currently.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I keep noticing a trend with your threads. I've kept it to myself this entire year to see if the pattern would change, but alas here I am finally to post. Reminds me of your older work...You log in to post the bait, debate a tiny bit, and then log off this account.

Xbone advertising is amazing, Wii U is good, Xbone is good, Wii U games are great, how to fix a 360, and PS this and PS that is bad. Sony is bad in general is the theme with your 129 posts so far since May 2013 last year, when you weren't praising the other brands of course. This thread's highlight is the Vita and how it's not selling and Sony is teh poor.

Anyways, I checked that article and it's speculative and from a no name site.

"Physical stores also seem to be out of the handheld, as searches for stock and calls to local outlets. At the moment, it’s unclear why stocks have diminished across the board; whether retailers are choosing to no longer stock the handhelds, have sold out, or if Sony has not been replenishing stocks."

Alrighty then. Just a bunch of random speculation for hits at this no name site.

Lucky I'm not even a handheld gamer to drum up much of a care. I'm more curious about your posts than handhelds especially considering the more recent circumstances. It's just all strange to me.

porkchopxp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 porkchopxp
Member since 2004 • 1181 Posts

(sniff sniff) troll stank . . .