frankiebotzkidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 frankiebotzkidd
Member since 2014 • 68 Posts

Let me preface this by saying i own both ps4 and xbone and both were day one purchases. last gen i used 360 primarily and ps3 for its exclusives . now id say from day 1 I've been using ps4 for multiplats and xbone for its exclusives like sunset overdrive , halo . and quantum break( which none have released yet lol so really only titan fall and dr3 so far) . the ps4 multi plats are usually higher in resolution plus my friends are on there so it seems like a no brainer . so this is where my issue comes in . the dual shock 4 , and I'm not saying this to be outrageous , is a controller that feels good to use when it works , but honestly is manufactured with very cheap crappy components. this problem and this problem alone is starting to make me use my xbone for my multi plats .

For example i bought nba 2k14 for my ps4 the day it came out . it was the game that me and my buddies would constantly play when they came over and we got very passionate about the winning/losing aspect of it lol as many of you guys who've played it know. this game and this game alone has put me through 3 controllers so far . now before you say i might be handling them too roughly let me say for my ps2 and ps3 i still have the controller that came in the box and there were games that i played just as passionately . i really think that if you sell a controller for 60 dollars it should be well made and honestly lt might seem like a small issue but really when you put it into perspective , it is 50% of your experience with the console. thinking the problem was only my own i looked online and found that this problem was more widespread than i initially thought.

There was a point where my xbone was collecting dust after dr3 and titan fall but now I'm really starting to appreciate the effort microsoft put into this controller . i mean it is more comfortable than the 360 controller which is saying a lot and it feels really solid and well made . the dual shock 4 feels great but I've had a problem with the analog sticks on all 3 controllers , the right trigger on one of em and the r1 button on of em . the rubber on the sticks constantly rip even when trying to be aware of not digging your nails into them . instead it comes from pushing up and down on them which is what you should be doing with them lol. the right trigger came loose and its just hanging lol . and the r1 button sticks to the controller so when I'm playing destiny and have to melee someone they wind up killing me lol which you could imagine is a just a glorious feeling .

Honestly I'm not the type of person to complain for no reason but i really think sony dropped the ball with that controller and should issue a new one or let third partys start making their own ( from what i heard there are none on the horizon). nba 2k15 was a sure bet purchase for my ps4 but now i think ill be buying it for xbone. i have two controllers that i would bet are going to last a lot longer than my ds4 controllers ( even the replacements i just received ) . and i think this will become a more common habit . I'm even considering selling my destiny for ps4 and replace it with the xbone version (coming from a person who's put a lot of time into my character ) and all of this is solely based on my experience with the the dual shock 4 so i think that says something . seems like a legitimate issue if you ask me and i know other people in my life who feel the same way . they are tired of having to send in their broken controllers and having to wait to play their games . and eventually dropping 60 dollars on a controller they know will eventually mess up .

All in all i shouldn't be thinking about a controller this much . it should just work. i don't consider myself a senseless console fanboy but i definently do have some brand loyalty to sony and this problem seems to be one they are mulling over . i love the new red and blue controllers but why should i spend my hard earned money on a controller i know will break in some way eventually lol . idk maybe I'm more upset than i should be , anyone have similar feelings about it ???

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

Buy Grip-Its, they're cheap, they feel good to use, and they protect against any wear on the analog sticks. I've had a PS4 controller since a month before the console launch and it's still perfect condition. Also, if you ever did wear your sticks down, you can send them in and they'll replace the controller for free as long as it's under the 1 year warranty.

Avatar image for frankiebotzkidd
frankiebotzkidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 frankiebotzkidd

@KHAndAnime: i appreciate your response. i bought the grip its and they help but I've had numerous problems. if that was the only problem i wouldn't have much room for complaints . I've had 3 replacements so far and all of them have fallen victim to a different problem whether its the trigger or the shoulder buttons. and honestly its not right that i spent 400 of my hard earned money and i have to wait weeks for a replacement to play my system lol its kind of a joke . I'm sure my post on a gamespot forum won't have much effect but i think sony should address the problem because its not fair to their consumers that they constantly have to be replacing controllers and buying additional products to protect them . I've had no such problems in the past with the ps2 and 3 which leads me to believe this is specific to this controller . products should become better with time not worse lol . great console but imo that controller needs to be better manufactured to warrant a 60 dollar purchase . ugh 1st world problems loll.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#4 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

i haven't had any problems with my controller so far, and i've had it since launch

gamevet77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 gamevet77
Member since 2013 • 555 Posts

some people have sweaty hands or they just hit the buttons too hard. I have had my current 360 controller for 2 years and it still works like new while others may need a replacement after 3 months.

It depends on how much the player plays, how they handle the controller, do they rage throw the controller, etc.

Articuno76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#6  Edited By Articuno76
Member since 2004 • 19799 Posts

I just have to second how poorly constructed they DualShock 4's are. I've had the rubber run off the bottom of the analogue sticks on one of mine from what has been heavy use since launch. Granted, it probably sees more use than most as it's in use almost every minute of every day by someone in the household. But the controller that comes with the system should be manufactured to last the lifetime of the system itself, it shouldn't need replacing.

I also have to second what Frankie said, I've not experienced this with previous generations of PlayStation controllers (though I have had issues with almost a dozen 360 ones).

thirdson1812

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 thirdson1812
Member since 2013 • 101 Posts

I'm hoping sony does release a new version of the dualshock 4 sometime soon because they did that with the ps3 where they added dualshock 2 years after launch. I'm pretty sure they have already received complaints about the problems with the DS4

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@Articuno76 said:

I just have to second how poorly constructed they DualShock 4's are. I've had the rubber run off the bottom of the analogue sticks on one of mine from what has been heavy use since launch. Granted, it probably sees more use than most as it's in use almost every minute of every day by someone in the household. But the controller that comes with the system should be manufactured to last the lifetime of the system itself, it shouldn't need replacing.

I also have to second what Frankie said, I've not experienced this with previous generations of PlayStation controllers (though I have had issues with almost a dozen 360 ones).

Aside from the small issue with the analog rubbers I think they controllers are marvelously constructed. They're weighty and feel extremely good to use. They just aren't the most durable things, which I'm not surprised about considering how much technology is inside these ~$50 controllers. I firmly believe if you take care of the controllers (and buy Grip-It's), they'll take care of you. I've gone through my fair share of PS2 controllers (they feel cheap, damage easily, and weigh about as much as their plastic casing). My PS3 controllers still are in perfect condition but they still don't feel nearly as good to use as the DS4.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

I've had no problems what so ever with my controllers except the rubber on the analog sticks wearing away, which to be honest don't effect my gaming, it is a problem i wish didn't exist but it does.

Avatar image for frankiebotzkidd
frankiebotzkidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 frankiebotzkidd

yea i understand it doesn't interfere with the gaming but y the hell do so many people have the same problem lol plus y shud you have to buy grips it to protect it , while inexpensive , its still extra money to spend on this controller . I'm happy to hear some people don't experience any problems but honestly theres too many people with these problems for sony to ignore imo . the controller is a large part of the experience . if you're like me you don't even wanna think about it you just expect it to work . i definently don't rage throw the controller and I'm not extra animated when it comes to pressing the buttons either . i never eat while I'm playing for the most part but if I'm eating dinner after taking a break and the ps4 is still on i make sure to wash any grease on my hands off before picking the controller back up again. almost neurotically i do this . i definently take those precautions so it leads me to believe this controller , while comfortable , is cheaply made . even though the tech inside it is impressive . lol I'm not gunna lie , not necessarily on this forum , but i see a lot of people making excuses for sony about this particular issue . don't get me wrong i understand brand loyalty , but when you spend your hard earned money on something you should be upset when it doesn't work . leads me to believe some people are enjoying the fruits and labor of their mommies and daddies a lil too much .