ThreeVo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2 ThreeVo
Member since 2007 • 595 Posts

There is a reason why no one has posted anyting here....

If u seriously have to ask that question, u realy shouldnt even be allowed to play video games.. or even say METAL GEAR SOLID

hot114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 hot114
Member since 2003 • 4489 Posts
Splinter cell.

MGS feels way too arcade-ish for a stealth game. And why for the love of good does it not allow you to aim your gun while moving?!?

Splinter cell is a nice stealth game tough the AI could use a good bit of random ness (basicly they all operated like robots extremely predictable)
MattS1701

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 MattS1701
Member since 2004 • 47 Posts

Here is a question. If I really love the Metal Gear Solid games would I like Splinter Cell? Is the gameplay similar?

-blue_beret75-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 -blue_beret75-
Member since 2007 • 365 Posts

I personally like Splinter Cell series more because of the controls,but both are action stealth games.

Avatar image for SouthernBBaller
SouthernBBaller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SouthernBBaller
Member since 2007 • 260 Posts
MGS2 not even close. That's like comparing Grand Theft Auto to True Crime.
Genexi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Genexi2
Member since 2005 • 3110 Posts
Splinter Cell has the better gameplay (not to mention graphics, well, on the PC/XBX version anyhow), albeit MGS2 has the upper hand on the story and over-the-top action, aside from the fact Raiden is a [censored].
nekrotaunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#8 nekrotaunter
Member since 2003 • 1480 Posts

Splinter cell.

MGS feels way too arcade-ish for a stealth game. And why for the love of good does it not allow you to aim your gun while moving?!?

Splinter cell is a nice stealth game tough the AI could use a good bit of random ness (basicly they all operated like robots extremely predictable)hot114

you can't aim while moving, just run while shooting. but i almost never used it. i tried splinter cell a few times, and i couldn't get into it. i prefer metal gear solid, but i only liked MGS2 to an extent. go for the playstation one or snake eater.

EmanSolid117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 EmanSolid117
Member since 2006 • 952 Posts
There were both great games. 4 me however, I have to go with MGS2.
ali_kerem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 ali_kerem
Member since 2003 • 558 Posts

i really hate this question

comparing MGS to Splinter Cell ??

Splinter Cell is the most cliche game ever. did you hear wooden door sound from a metal door ? sorry but i cannot call that a simple bug, how did they test that game ? you are unseen under spotlight, and you call that game a stealth game?  even while they come so close, like you can even hear someone's breathing in that distance and still they cant see you ? i can make this longer but i think its enough, also i dont even remembe what was it like, it doesnt give any impression at all. 

i've beaten first 3 of the series, i dont talk without reason. i only thought 2 or 3's beginning was good, but again it became same.  play it if you are desperate for this genre, because there are only MGS and SC in this category. or try tenchu, stealth action with ninjas, instead of guns, use ninja stars.

hot114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hot114

splinter cell is more of a simulation / realistic game and MGS chooses the arcade aproach.
Personally i prever splinter cell where you actually have to plan ahead acording to your enviroment good timing is a must aswell.
In MGS you can just load up your uzi and eat some rations when ya get hit too much very unrealistic.

SC doesent have mucht of a storyline but makes up for it in raw gameplay oh yeah and you can move WHILE aiming your gun :D

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#12 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts
mgs, of course. all sc did was rip off mgs and make it more american.  
hot114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hot114
mgs, of course. all sc did was rip off mgs and mHake it more american.  LoG-Sacrament
HAHHAHA, have you even played SC? Please mention any similarities you thought were ripped off.

Honestly MGS and SC couldent be further away from eachother and still fall in the same genre,
tsduv21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 tsduv21
Member since 2007 • 2942 Posts

Splinter cell.

Splinter cell is a nice stealth game tough the AI could use a good bit of random ness (basicly they all operated like robots extremely predictable)hot114

Did you read the instruction manual? I guess that you didn't because you CAN move while shooting just press L1 while shooting and you will move(not in first person view). 

quack_er

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 quack_er
Member since 2005 • 1570 Posts

[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]mgs, of course. all sc did was rip off mgs and mHake it more american. hot114
HAHHAHA, have you even played SC? Please mention any similarities you thought were ripped off.

Honestly MGS and SC couldent be further away from eachother and still fall in the same genre,

A quick noticible one was CQC was added to Chaos Theory after MGS3: Snake Eater had it.

I prefer MGS series though. I like the storyline and the ability to go non-sneak mode. SC gets strict at times. 

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 LoG-Sacrament

[QUOTE="hot114"][QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]mgs, of course. all sc did was rip off mgs and mHake it more american. quack_er

A quick noticible one was CQC was added to Chaos Theory after MGS3: Snake Eater had it.

I prefer MGS series though. I like the storyline and the ability to go non-sneak mode. SC gets strict at times. 

not to mention the core gameplay...

the alarm system was a mgs orignal. hell, the very idea of following the enemy's patrol routes was first done in mgs. mgs pioneered the stealth action genre, sc just followng in it's footsteps.

Delita_Hyral7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Delita_Hyral7
Member since 2004 • 438 Posts
i prefer the mgs series over the sc but its preference different people like different things
SamXVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SamXVII
Member since 2007 • 430 Posts
MGS2 is a million times better than Splinter Cell.
the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

Here is a question. If I really love the Metal Gear Solid games would I like Splinter Cell? Is the gameplay similar?

MattS1701

The gameplay is so different, it's amazing people even categorize the two in the same genre.

nightlights

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 nightlights
Member since 2006 • 55 Posts
Think of the enormous impact MGS2 had when it first came out. Splinter Cell can't hope to match that.
fatmaninhell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 fatmaninhell
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
im currently in da middle of mgs3 snake eater,and splinter cell double agent.and they both are great fun.mgs has the far beter story line,it not even comparable,also the graphics is much beter on the ps2.but mgs aint really a stealth game,u can get through most situations by using brute force,wich i good at times,but doesnt make it a true stealth game.and splinter cell controls feel much better,i like being able to move and shoot.but maybe that jus me.but i feel more in control of sam fisher than snake.and am enjoying double agent more.so me have to say splinter cell wins
hot114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 hot114
[QUOTE="quack_er"]

[QUOTE="hot114"][QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]mgs, of course. all sc did was rip off mgs and mHake it more american. LoG-Sacrament

the alarm system was a mgs orignal. hell, the very idea of following the enemy's patrol routes was first done in mgs. mgs pioneered the stealth action genre, sc just followng in it's footsteps.

So your saying Halo, gears of war, goldeneye 47, any known shooter is a blatant ripoff from the original doom
Ignoring the fact that there have been may shooters before doom but it just so hapens to be the most well known, gotcha :)

MGS and SC simply could not be any more diverent and still fall in the same genre period.
MGS takes the arcade aproach shoot anyone anytime you feel like it.
SC chooses the simulation aproach where not being actually matters and you have to keep the deadcount as low as possible

When was the last time you saw a super secret spy infiltrate in a complex and blast away with a machine gun? Whats the point of not just sending in a SWAT team if said spy is going to murder everyone just for the sake of collecting combat souvenirs? MGS way too arcade-ish for me imo.

[QUOTE="hot114"]Splinter cell.

Splinter cell is a nice stealth game tough the AI could use a good bit of random ness (basicly they all operated like robots extremely predictable)tsduv21

Did you read the instruction manual? I guess that you didn't because you CAN move while shooting just press L1 while shooting and you will move(not in first person view). 

And thats exactly what im complaining about.

running and shooting is extremely gimp because it relys on auto aim and due to the camera being top/side  view 90% of the time you cant see anything thats more than 15M away
dazman31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 1

#23 dazman31
Member since 2005 • 2507 Posts
MGS2 hands down
LDouglasLJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LDouglasLJr
Member since 2005 • 5976 Posts

The first fps was Wolfenstein 3d. Very fun game and was very difficult at time and was before Doom. Doom was best know for the first Death Match. But the as far as the first fps, Castle Wolfenstein.

I think MGS2 and Splinter Cell are both great games. MGS2 has this over Splinter Cell and that's story. The story in MGS2 is spot on and a great story line. Splinter Cell has this over MGS2 and that control and true stealth action. The controls is SC are so good and so easy to control it makes up for the lack of story. As the fact that you do have to plan out and try to be as quiet and stealthy as possible as not to blow your cover that also makes up for the lack of story.

Both are great games they just both have different strengths and weaknesses that in choosing one would be difficult. One has the better story and the other has the better controls/true stealth.

ali_kerem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25 ali_kerem
Member since 2003 • 558 Posts

Splinter Cell is so realistic so when you are seen in that well secured building there is no backup unit or even one extra person that comes for you. its so realistic so you can hide under spot lights. its so realistic so when you jump from a height noone hears a sound, unless you are like 1cm away from the target.  i've beaten first 3 of the series and all my games were buggy it seems, just my luck, games were buggy, different games than your ones, but SC is so realistic game that doesnt allow these things, so my apologies.

and what good controls are these i really wonder ? in MGS you do what you think easily, and can reach any item easily with fast menu. in SC even walking becomes pain sometimes. though i admit they made better in SC3 than first 2 but is that it ? 

MGS is an open game, you can finish the game with 0 kill. you can pass guards without touching. if you choose to kill everyone in your way thats your problem. and in SC if there is no restriction, mostly its not restricted, or i just killed everyone with my buggy games, you can kill everyone too. 

yomo110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 yomo110
Member since 2006 • 36 Posts

splinter cell is a blatant rip off from MGS and that is a fact. MGS maybe more arcadey, but it gives u the freedom to play the game the way u want......so ppl may think u can use brute force to finish the game thats a lie, if people actually play the MGS2 the way its meant to be played then u can see its even more stealthier than SC.

Another thing SC is way to restrictive......u can only do 1 thing 1 way.....its way too linear and doesnt give u the freedom to do the things u want....MGS is more exploration and experimentation, while SC is trial and error....i was sick of triggering 3 alarms in the first level....and have to do it over 20 times....thats pathetic....its way too trial and error.................and ubisoft just released SC to one up MGS..........its pathetic, they couldnt come up with anything original so they copied MGS right down the enemy AI patterns....dont believe me.......then read this

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/716/716002p3.html

"It wasn't long before Sony's rivals would secure their own stealth hero. Ubisoft readied Splinter Cell for release on Microsoft's Xbox a year later, and the game quickly became Xbox fans' answer to Metal Gear. Though very different in gameplay, the similarities between Metal Gear Solid and Splinter Cell are obvious. In fact, Splinter Cell copies Metal Gear's AI design outright, with various stages of enemy alertness, sound triggers, and patrol paths."

yeah so please dont even tell me, they ubisoft made splinter cell with no inspirations from MGS.....anyone who thinks SC is the better game is either a fanboy or very bitter.....MGS is MILES AHEAD of SC.....in each and every MGS game they gameplay has changed significantly from MGS2 to MGS3 (camouflage) (no - radar)....and then look at SC......the gameplay has not evolved ONE IOTA....its pathetic... MGS IS LEAGUES AHEAD OF SC and thats a fact

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 LoG-Sacrament
[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"][QUOTE="quack_er"]

[QUOTE="hot114"][QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]mgs, of course. all sc did was rip off mgs and mHake it more american. hot114

So your saying Halo, gears of war, goldeneye 47, any known shooter is a blatant ripoff from the original doom
Ignoring the fact that there have been may shooters before doom but it just so hapens to be the most well known, gotcha :)

MGS and SC simply could not be any more diverent and still fall in the same genre period.
MGS takes the arcade aproach shoot anyone anytime you feel like it.
SC chooses the simulation aproach where not being actually matters and you have to keep the deadcount as low as possible

When was the last time you saw a super secret spy infiltrate in a complex and blast away with a machine gun? Whats the point of not just sending in a SWAT team if said spy is going to murder everyone just for the sake of collecting combat souvenirs? MGS way too arcade-ish for me imo.

[QUOTE="hot114"]Splinter cell.

Splinter cell is a nice stealth game tough the AI could use a good bit of random ness (basicly they all operated like robots extremely predictable)tsduv21

And thats exactly what im complaining about.

running and shooting is extremely gimp because it relys on auto aim and due to the camera being top/side  view 90% of the time you cant see anything thats more than 15M away

they usually send in snake after the swat team has been killed. but thats all exlpained in the story(seriously, play mgs2 and youll know what im talking about). and mg WAS the first stealth game. and you dont have to use the machine gun(i for one, never do). as for death counts, they are encouraged to be kept to a mininum through end game ranks and such.

hot114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 hot114

Played through it once and then sold my copy without a 2nd thought. Just not my kind of game. SC on the other hand tough it has zero replay value does apeal to me.
Diverent people diverent tastes eh

The part were snake is introduced is what really turned me down (next to the repetetive scenery, yay for visiting the same room 40 freaking times - exagerated to make a point.)
so one biogeneticly enhanced human is going to take out a vampire that just solod an entire swat team.
Snake may have better stamina / preciosion / able to think in tight situations than the average human but hes not superman last time i saw him he was still firing a gun at regular footsoldiers

Sure MGS4 shows raiden pulling some superhuman feats but he hes wearing a exoskeleton for that. MGS2 snake/raiden is wearing his army outfit, no comparison.

I enjoyed MGS1 for what it was then got very disapointed by MGS2 and really cant understand where all  the hype is coming from. but hey people cal me crazy for liking arcade shmups aswell :P

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 LoG-Sacrament

Played through it once and then sold my copy without a 2nd thought. Just not my kind of game. SC on the other hand tough it has zero replay value does apeal to me.
Diverent people diverent tastes eh

The part were snake is introduced is what really turned me down (next to the repetetive scenery, yay for visiting the same room 40 freaking times - exagerated to make a point.)
so one biogeneticly enhanced human is going to take out a vampire that just solod an entire swat team.
Snake may have better stamina / preciosion / able to think in tight situations than the average human but hes not superman last time i saw him he was still firing a gun at regular footsoldiers

Sure MGS4 shows raiden pulling some superhuman feats but he hes wearing a exoskeleton for that. MGS2 snake/raiden is wearing his army outfit, no comparison.

I enjoyed MGS1 for what it was then got very disapointed by MGS2 and really cant understand where all  the hype is coming from. but hey people cal me crazy for liking arcade shmups aswell :P

hot114

if you dont like it im not going to change your mind. but just one thing(which you should have known by playing through mgs2): nobody takes down vamp in mgs2...ever. he is alive at the end of the game.

AtelierFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 AtelierFan
Member since 2006 • 1544 Posts
I think both are good games for different reasons. Just for the record, though, have ANY of the people who are saying that SC is a MGS rip-off played the Thief series (any of them)? I think most of the core gameplay is coming from there and not MGS.
2deluxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#31 2deluxe
Member since 2005 • 1881 Posts
lol! at all the silly MGS fanboys. SC a blatant rip off of MGS? What a bunch of crazed loonies.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 LoG-Sacrament

I think both are good games for different reasons. Just for the record, though, have ANY of the people who are saying that SC is a MGS rip-off played the Thief series (any of them)? I think most of the core gameplay is coming from there and not MGS. AtelierFan

metal gear came before all of them(released in 87).

OUterHeaven69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 OUterHeaven69
Member since 2006 • 135 Posts

dont even ask that question!

AtelierFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 AtelierFan
Member since 2006 • 1544 Posts

[QUOTE="AtelierFan"]I think both are good games for different reasons. Just for the record, though, have ANY of the people who are saying that SC is a MGS rip-off played the Thief series (any of them)? I think most of the core gameplay is coming from there and not MGS. LoG-Sacrament

I'm not saying it didn't -- I am saying that Thief has a totally different approach to stealth than MGS, and I feel that is where SC got is gameplay (from Thief).
TheTenn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#35 TheTenn
Member since 2005 • 176 Posts
Personally I prefer MGS2 to Splinter cell, and as for the people who say u can just shoot your way through everything then u obviously haven't played those games on hard/extreme where the enemies just don't stop coming or if you are seen then its just game over. I find that both games in reality dunt really require much planing ahead of time so long as you have an attention to detail. But don't get me wrong i have had fun in all the splinter cell games as well I just prefer MGS in general over SC the sense of humor apeals to me and the characters are just easy to have fun with.
LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 LoG-Sacrament
[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]

[QUOTE="AtelierFan"]I think both are good games for different reasons. Just for the record, though, have ANY of the people who are saying that SC is a MGS rip-off played the Thief series (any of them)? I think most of the core gameplay is coming from there and not MGS. AtelierFan

I'm not saying it didn't -- I am saying that Thief has a totally different approach to stealth than MGS, and I feel that is where SC got is gameplay (from Thief).

if you say so. either way, mgs is more orignal that sc.

ThreeVo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ThreeVo

Jesus christ this is making my stomach turn.

Ok. there is no comparison. As for what ive read so far, ur all comparing the gamplay "realistic" "too arcady" "trial and error"

MSG is by far one of the best cinematic games off all time. a more powerful, moving story that SC can never even hope to come remotley close to. Hideo Kojima is far ahead of his time. I do not care what u say.. beat 2 metal gear solid games in a row, and beat two SC games in a row. SC is garbage as far as presentaion story telling goes.

As far as gameplay. Ok.. u ahve an open ended, side game play galore, replay value, quality tested precise gameplay. SC is level by level do this or fail... and then go to the next area, there is absolutley no inovation whatsoever with it. The ai is by far not that impresive either. Im teling u this as a person that has fully experienced both worlds here and can tell u with the utmost knowledge that MSG is by far a better game in all respects.

Dating back to msg 1 were it truly took off cinematicaly. The saga of mgs started and grasped any one who played it and showed them that this title was not just a stealth game, but SO much more. At this very time sam fisher wasent even in diapers yet. The MGS series took espionage games to an entire new level.

I hate repeating my self but there is truly no way to express how touching and moving the story of Solid snake is especially compared to an idiot like Sam Fisher.. And i know without a doubt that the finally of MSG4 will bring a tear to alot of its fans eyes. Only those on this post who have delved into MSG can understand what im talking about, those who have decided to stray from mgs and have ONLY played SC, i simply only pitty u, for never have experienced the beuty that is MSG. PERIOD

PS. Sam Fisher won video games "coolest, badest Steath hero" in the very first spike tv video game awards. That is when i truly relized that i hated american video game devs and spike tv. XD

2deluxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 2deluxe
^You dumb MGS fanboy Splinter Cell isn't American. It's either Canadian or Chinese.
hot114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 hot114
^You dumb MGS fanboy Splinter Cell isn't American. It's either Canadian or Chinese.2deluxe

Do all your posts have to contain insults in one way or another?.You seem to have some great hatred towards the young and ignorant
If your looking for a mature gaming comunity gamespot is NOT the place, accept that fact or move on
2deluxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 2deluxe

If your looking for a mature gaming comunity gamespot is NOT the placehot114

Obviously not, this place is full of kids with ZERO regard for looking up facts, grammar, and has an IQ of 2. I hate to say this but some people in Gamefaqs are right, too many idiots here perpetuate that stereotype. I'm not talking about everyone here, just the down right majority.

ThreeVo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ThreeVo

1. Thank u hot114

2. Deluxe. DO NOT call me a stupid fan boy. I could not be as far from that as possible, i found it sad that certain people cant construct proper critism or debate without feeling the need to flame. At what point did make myself out to be a fan boy. I made the mistake of canada and USA. mistake.

Ive been playing games for quite some time now. I judge on personal experience, and b4 i make any comment i allow myself to make sure i know much of both games that i compare. Make a logical intuitive post or remove urslef from these forums plz.

BFKZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#42 BFKZ
Member since 2004 • 1728 Posts
Of course Metal Gear, theres alot of diffirence in Graphics, Gameplay, Boss Battles, and the characters are cooler.
Whitelightn1ng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Whitelightn1ng
Member since 2007 • 66 Posts
MGS2 owns splinter cell by a mile, just look at the ratings man. I have all three MGS and if I were to choose the worst one, they would still own splinter cell.
LSX_Suisyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 LSX_Suisyde
Member since 2007 • 379 Posts
easily MGS2
hot114

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 hot114
Funny how justabout everyone fails to support theyr claims with arguments.

If everyone just says "Splinter cell" or "MGS" this wouldent be much of a topic now would it?
SolidSnake2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 SolidSnake2020
Member since 2006 • 2180 Posts

I like both games but I have to go with MGS2 great story.

Splinter Cell gameplay is impressive.

MG_Raiden919

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 MG_Raiden919
Member since 2007 • 213 Posts
I AGREE MGS2 Great Game
StarFoxCOM

Forum Posts