• 165 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@AlexKidd5000 said:

@FelipeInside said:

@AlexKidd5000 said:

@GummiRaccoon said:

Microsoft, the McDonald's of the software world.

Perfect description of them LOL.

That would make Linux the random Hot Dog stand on the corner of the road.... hahahaha.

And...

But they sell damn good hot dogs!

And that video! LOLOL!

Mmmmmm....Hot Dogs.... now I feel like one damn you !!!

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#152  Edited By AlexKidd5000
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

@AlexKidd5000 said:

@FelipeInside said:

@AlexKidd5000 said:

@GummiRaccoon said:

Microsoft, the McDonald's of the software world.

Perfect description of them LOL.

That would make Linux the random Hot Dog stand on the corner of the road.... hahahaha.

And...

But they sell damn good hot dogs!

And that video! LOLOL!

Mmmmmm....Hot Dogs.... now I feel like one damn you !!!

LOL

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#153  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

except for linux they'd make you assemble your own hotdog

Gallowhand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 9

#154 Gallowhand
Member since 2013 • 697 Posts

A streamlined user interface to fit on a small screen with touch control is great. However, it is not necessarily the best or most desirable option for every device. Uniformity can certainly bring greater familiarity in the longer term to people who want to embrace it, but in the shorter term it can become an inconvenience, and even a hindrance, for those who don't. If people see no short-term benefit to something, they will often simply discard it in favour of what they already know. You can call this resistance to change - or you can view it as people having a particular preference and sticking with it.

I'm as guilty of this as anyone. I disliked the changes MS made to their office suite several years ago, with the introduction of 'ribbons' and what-not, and switched immediately to OpenOffice, and then LibreOffice. Why? Because these applications offered me a familiar interface that I could navigate quickly and easily, without fuss, and it would take a lot to convince me otherwise.

However, I did decide to try out Ubuntu a few years ago. It was different, yet somewhat familiar, and I did get used to it fairly quickly. Of course, now it just happens that I prefer Ubuntu over Windows, even though I still use Windows 7, but that too is a matter of personal preference. I'll use whatever fits in with my way of doing things.

And that is something MS should consider more carefully. Personal preference should not be underestimated when taking into account how people want to interact with their technology. Some people love the Metro UI, and that's great for them. I personally dislike it, and see no value in using it, so I'll stick with that works best for me.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By FelipeInside

@Gallowhand said:

I'm as guilty of this as anyone. I disliked the changes MS made to their office suite several years ago, with the introduction of 'ribbons' and what-not, and switched immediately to OpenOffice, and then LibreOffice. Why? Because these applications offered me a familiar interface that I could navigate quickly and easily, without fuss, and it would take a lot to convince me otherwise.

Once you get used to the Ribbon Interface on Office you can never go back to the old UI and you think any other menu system like that is old fashioned, trust me.

I hated the Ribbon interface too... couldn't find anything. I stuck with it for a few weeks and learned it. Now if I go back to Office 2003 I see it as uncomfortable and old fashioned.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 AlexKidd5000
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

@JigglyWiggly_ said:

except for linux they'd make you assemble your own hotdog

Not necessarily, there are alot of hot dog stands, and some will make you assemble your own hot dog, and some will do it for you :)

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

@_SKatEDiRt_ said:

@FelipeInside said:

@KHAndAnime said:

Do you know what diminishing returns means Felipe? If you do, then you should understand my entire argument and my point without me needing to elaborate further. If you can't figure it out - then no amount of explanation on my behalf is going to make any sense to you.

So you basically ignored the whole topic about improving the start menu cause I got you with that and instead go to sales. Good one chap, just like you to keep bringing out random stuff instead of simply saying "you know what, I was wrong".

It's ok, you are young but one day you will learn that you're not always right, and learn to admit it. It actually makes people respect you more, trust me.

Why dont we just revamp the invention of a wheel and make it a octagon

Well, the wheel has been revamped quite a few times over the last 2000 years don't you think? Yes, it's still round but heck, we have wheels these days that report air pressure and auto-inflate themselves. I think that's come a long way from wooden wheels in the medieval era, don't you?

Same goes for Windows, same menu just revamped with extra features.

you know what. screw you guys.. im goin home. lmao ok felipe. you win.

jcknapier711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#158  Edited By jcknapier711
Member since 2012 • 470 Posts

@Gallowhand said:

And that is something MS should consider more carefully. Personal preference should not be underestimated when taking into account how people want to interact with their technology. Some people love the Metro UI, and that's great for them. I personally dislike it, and see no value in using it, so I'll stick with that works best for me.

But the problem is that it's not personal preference. Yes, the ribbon was awkward at first, but now I find it easy to navigate. But that has nothing to do with the issues people have with win8. MS just broke too many things in Win8 and despite what the pom pom wavers want to believe, Windows 8 in the Millennium Edition of the new generation of Windows.

First, they needed to release two different editions. A tablet version and a desktop version. People buy tablets for different reasons then they buy desktops. You buy a tablet because you want something that is easy to use on the run and you can read or post on the internet quickly and easily whether you're on your couch on in Starbucks or where-ever. You buy a desktop because you're a gamer, you want to do actual work or you just want to sit in a chair with a large screen and watch videos or post on the net. There are other reasons, but the bottom line to do those things the OS needs to be different.

Microsoft completely forgot about desktop users when designing metro. The desktop became the CLI. Only for geeks and hidden behind Metro UI. This interface would be fine on a tablet, I don't know, I don't own or use one. But for a desktop, it sucks. Yes, I know the pom pom wavers are going to remind me that I can set it to go straight to desktop. But the problem isn't me not knowing that, the problem is that Metro is the only way to open programs without going into "program files." In fact, I do go into program files to open programs because metro stinks so bad.

A much better solution would be to have the side menu be the new start menu. That would have worked on a desktop. But as it stands, the UI is awkward at best, unusable at worst.

Then there's the fact that they broke the theme system. I can't choose which colors the UI uses. I have to download special programs to fix the stupid 5 pixel cartoon border. I have to download special programs to force the taskbar to be opaque.

If that wasn't enough tons of things have been removed, from telnet to test mode. Things that once worked in Win7, no longer work in Win8.

Yes, there are good things about Win8. Like, the boot time. I can now boot twice as fast as in Win7. But that's it. That's the only reason to upgrade. Oh... and they did fix the color issue with the old Fallout games. So, it's not a complete mess, but it still sucks.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#159  Edited By coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

felipeinside has convinced me that windows 8 is invariably worse than windows 7

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#161 coolbeans90

@sethman410 said:

@KHAndAnime: So, he's automatically not tech savvy just because he doesn't know what mouse polling rate is?

It is very difficult to come up with an equally plausible alternative explanation.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 FelipeInside

@coolbeans90 said:

@sethman410 said:

@KHAndAnime: So, he's automatically not tech savvy just because he doesn't know what mouse polling rate is?

It is very difficult to come up with an equally plausible alternative explanation.

I'm sure there a quite a few things I know that you have no clue about.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 coolbeans90

@FelipeInside said:

@coolbeans90 said:

@sethman410 said:

Your posts in this thread do not leave me with that impression.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164  Edited By FelipeInside

@coolbeans90 said:

@FelipeInside said:

@coolbeans90 said:

@sethman410 said:

I don't care what impression you get to be honest. I go off facts only, not "plausible alternative explanations" like you do.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 coolbeans90

@FelipeInside said:

@coolbeans90 said:

@FelipeInside said:

@coolbeans90 said:

@sethman410 said:

I don't care what impression you get to be honest. I go off facts only, not "plausible alternative explanations" like you do.

That's a really cool story, bro.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 FelipeInside

@coolbeans90 said:

That's a really cool story, bro.

It is, I'll have to write a book one day about it ;)

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 coolbeans90

i'll have to get a signed copy

flipin_jackass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By flipin_jackass
Member since 2004 • 9772 Posts

apart from metro, i honestly can't recall much of the difference between 7 & 8 anymore. i just got a laptop at work with win 7, so that should help me recall some of the difference, a lot of which i know were minor (at least for my purpose).

it loaded faster than 7, so that was already worth the $15 i spent to upgrade.

what i didn't like was one particular update of me having to use my hotmail or an msn account to attached to the os. that was probably optional, or there was probably some way to get around - but i didn't fight it and registered. anyway it worked out fine, otherwise i would never bother checking my hotmail which is 99% spam, and 1% very important email.

overall im ok w/ win 8 and don't think it's "shit" as a lot make it out to be.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169 FelipeInside

@flipin_jackass said:

what i didn't like was one particular update of me having to use my hotmail or an msn account to attached to the os. that was probably optional, or there was probably some way to get around

Yeah it's optional. It's just used to sync settings between different devices.

There is an option to just use a local account like past Windows.