• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="GeneralMufinMan"]

I loved Windows 8 at first too, those speeds being the main factor, but also the improved tools built into the OS. I also got and loved Star8, I'd consider Windows 8 pretty much unusable for me without it. The Metro UI may be great for touch-screens but I've used it maybe for a grand total of an hour in the past 6 months.

But now that I'm working from home I've noticed alot of my programs just aren't running like they should (google sketchup, autocad, publisher, illustrator, ect) I've also seen some bizarre performance drops in certain games and some that just won't work with 8 at all. So now I'm going to have to switch back to Windows 7.

IMO the best thing Microsoft could've done is realsed Windows 8 as it is for touch-screen devices (maybe call it Windows 7 Touch) and release the improved tools and desktop-related items as a service pack for 7. 

GeneralMufinMan

Something to do with your install. I have Publisher 2010, Illustrator CS6 and they run fine. I haven't got Autocad or Sketchup though.

You mean my install of Windows 8 or my install of all the seperate programs? Cause the OS itself seems to run fine... 

Wish I knew my friend. I'm just commenting on my experience that Publisher and Illustrator work fine on my Windows 8. A friend of mine also has Win8 with Office 2010 and no issues (just asked him on chat).
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 FelipeInside
@demi0227_basic Good valid points (both positive and negative). I see it from this angle. After a bit of a learning curve on the new menu, a few tweaks here and there, I basically have a faster better Windows 7 running on my new PC. Once again though, if u have Win7 installed already, no need to upgrade unless you're due for a fresh install or rebuild/upgrade.
redskins26rocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 redskins26rocs
Member since 2009 • 2674 Posts
the only thing i like is quick boot, it only takes a few seconds on hdd, everything else is pointless
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#54 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

the only thing i like is quick boot, it only takes a few seconds on hdd, everything else is pointlessredskins26rocs

This. 

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="redskins26rocs"]the only thing i like is quick boot, it only takes a few seconds on hdd, everything else is pointlesswis3boi

This. 

Pointless regarding how you use an OS. The Cloud Sync features might be useless for some and very useful for others. The faster speeds overall (just not boot) are good for everyone though.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Used Windows 8 for a few days, tried my best to get used to the thing. It was ****ing horrible to use. Don't get me wrong there's some good improvements - the much better task manager, the faster boot times and the contextual options in opened folders, but everything else, just wow. It's horrible. Even with a start menu addon thing. The entire dichotomy between Metro and desktop is possibly the worst thing ever conceived; why Microsoft didn't just go for one for touch tablet interfaces and another for trackpad / mouse input interfaces is beyond me. Instead is this ugly thing that is utterly unintuitive. Or so I found. Went back to Windows 7, and haven't looked back. Quite frankly even OSX is far better then the thing. [QUOTE="NoGamingOnWin8"]Any help is appreciated, thank you!!

Well, that is super nice of your mum buying you a new laptop, you're a lucky dewd. You can always reformat the machine and install Windows 7 on it; there should be drivers for your system available for Win 7. If you don't want to nuke Win 8 completely, partition the hard drive and dual boot Windows 7; and just leave WIndows 8 on it's own small partition - if you stuff up you can go back to your Win 8 and nuke the Win 7 partition, and redo it again.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 FelipeInside

Used Windows 8 for a few days, tried my best to get used to the thing. It was ****ing horrible to use. Don't get me wrong there's some good improvements - the much better task manager, the faster boot times and the contextual options in opened folders, but everything else, just wow. It's horrible. Even with a start menu addon thing. The entire dichotomy between Metro and desktop is possibly the worst thing ever conceived; why Microsoft didn't just go for one for touch tablet interfaces and another for trackpad / mouse input interfaces is beyond me. Instead is this ugly thing that is utterly unintuitive. Or so I found. Went back to Windows 7, and haven't looked back. Quite frankly even OSX is far better then the thing. [QUOTE="NoGamingOnWin8"]Any help is appreciated, thank you!! skrat_01
Well, that is super nice of your mum buying you a new laptop, you're a lucky dewd. You can always reformat the machine and install Windows 7 on it; there should be drivers for your system available for Win 7. If you don't want to nuke Win 8 completely, partition the hard drive and dual boot Windows 7; and just leave WIndows 8 on it's own small partition - if you stuff up you can go back to your Win 8 and nuke the Win 7 partition, and redo it again.

I also responded in the other thread but that's incorrect.

With Start8, Windows 8 works EXACTLY the same as Windows 7 but just faster and better.  Even with Metro Menu I hardly find myself in there....I stick to the Desktop Mode on my PC.

Granted, it's like 2 OS into one (Desktop and Metro Touch), but you have to realize they've made Desktop like another App.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 skrat_01

With Start8, Windows 8 works EXACTLY the same as Windows 7 but just faster and better.  Even with Metro Menu I hardly find myself in there....I stick to the Desktop Mode on my PC.

Granted, it's like 2 OS into one (Desktop and Metro Touch), but you have to realize they've made Desktop like another App.

FelipeInside
'Horrible' is my perspective. I'm not wrong for finding it horrible, because I found it horrible. It's not identical from experience, bearing in mind this my personal experience - having to interact with metro on any level is infuriating; as I said the dichotomy between the two, and the third party solutions are great if you want to fix the problem of the desktop; but quite frankly I don't want to have to get involved in fixing an OS when I can use one that's already perfect for what I want out of it by comparison. If it's groovy for you, fine. It's not for me. The UI, the hodge podge nature of it, to the compatibility quirks - and my other experiences using it with a touch interface, like I explained to you in another thread. I don't want to have anything to do with the thing, and that purely comes from using it. I went into it optimistic, left hating it. Go figure.
demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#59 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

skrat_01
'Horrible' is my perspective. I'm not wrong for finding it horrible, because I found it horrible. It's not identical from experience, bearing in mind this my personal experience - having to interact with metro on any level is infuriating; as I said the dichotomy between the two, and the third party solutions are great if you want to fix the problem of the desktop; but quite frankly I don't want to have to get involved in fixing an OS when I can use one that's already perfect for what I want out of it by comparison. If it's groovy for you, fine. It's not for me. The UI, the hodge podge nature of it, to the compatibility quirks - and my other experiences using it with a touch interface, like I explained to you in another thread. I don't want to have anything to do with the thing, and that purely comes from using it. I went into it optimistic, left hating it. Go figure.

This is my reason for making this post: Plenty of people could read these posts and decide not to get a superior OS. Which isn't a big deal. But as I like to add to the community, it's a bummer. I understand all of your' guy's complaints, but saying things like "It's horrible!" or "It's the worst thing since Hitler (I know...exaggeration, but I thought I'd mix it up!) My main point is that you had a horrible experience with Metro and Windows 8, without bothering to tweak Windows to make it more functional. My original premise is that, for most people on this forum, tweaking isn't a big deal and that given a choice of Win 7 v. Win 8, they should pick 8. Why? Because, literally, it's MUCH faster and more pleasurable to run. All of these naysayers remind me of the XP crowd that figured XP was good enough and there is/was never a reason to upgrade. Well...8 is better than 7. Yeah, it takes a minute to put the start menu on and have the computer boot to desktop rather than Metro, but so what? It's a better experience once you've done that compared to Windows 7. If you haven't tried Win8 with Classicshell or Start8 or another such program, don't tell other capable users that it's a piece of Junk. It's Windows 7, but greater to use due to speed improvements and other useful features. You do the community a disservice by not taking time to tweak things how you want them. I actually spend more time customizing Win 7 on a new install than Win 8, due to many factors. First of all, even on a netbook it takes some 20-30 minutes for a fresh install of Win8 (My SSD on my desktop and gaming rig is like, 10-15 minutes!). I didn't have to install MSE (it's preinstalled on Win8) or another antivirus. Though I'm careful with my web habits, and probably need less pron than you young tykes, so don't feel a need for another antivirus. :) Windows updates in Win8 takes only a few minutes (of course, its newer, making Win7 have more updates, naturally). Boot time from Bios is 9 seconds. A complete restart (tested this morning) was 27 seconds, 12 of which was posting to bios. The environment is much snappier and more responsive than 7. Basically, all I'm saying is that given the choice between buying win7 or win8, get 8. It takes hardly any time to get a superior experience and is totally worth the effort. I got Win8 just for fun, and wanting to try it out. I hated Metro just like you guys, as well as the lacking start menu. However, a quick google search and I found alleviations to those problems and posted quick solutions on this forum to help out the community, because 8 is a better purchase if you are upgrading from xp or Vista. Sorry for the rant...and also, I have nothing against 7 (its on my wife's and kid's machine for now) and I know it's solid. I just think it's good to help the gaming community enjoy better computing experiences and wanted to share some insight into the major complaints and address them, because computing is quicker and more enjoyable on Win8 once it's tweaked vs Win7.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 skrat_01
demi0227_basic
Well the crux is that I tried and put as much effort as I was willing too - I downloaded and tried a variety of start menu substitues, had it boot to desktop and so on. There's also a major difference between XP users and moving on - Vista had fundamental faults on release, which is why a chorus of Windows users declared they would stick with Windows XP. When 7 came around it wasn't the case. Now with 8, it too had fundmental faults on release, and demands users to tinker and modify the thing with third party applications to make it an optimal desktop experience. And many users like myself, don't want to deal with that - and in itself rules out it being 'a superior desktop experience' as far as I'm concerned. Fact of the matter is the Windows 8 experience isn't something set in stone when it's out of the box; so you're going to get a variety of people with different experiences, who are all as equally valid as your own. I'm sticking with 7, as I said, I don't want to have to go through the teething of a new OS that requires me to bolt stuff onto, and buries a whole load of features not made for a desktop in mind. I wan't something clean and does what I know it will do; and that comes from my experience, which quite frankly, is as perfectly valid as your own - even if yours is overwhelmingly positive and you've worked out the kinks. Boils down to what you want out of it, which is why whatever is 'superior' or 'more enjoyable' is never an outright fact - I'm not going to deride someone for taking preference in Linux if it serves their needs better, same with OSX or even someone using Win 8.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="demi0227_basic"]skrat_01
Well the crux is that I tried and put as much effort as I was willing too - I downloaded and tried a variety of start menu substitues, had it boot to desktop and so on. There's also a major difference between XP users and moving on - Vista had fundamental faults on release, which is why a chorus of Windows users declared they would stick with Windows XP. When 7 came around it wasn't the case. Now with 8, it too had fundmental faults on release, and demands users to tinker and modify the thing with third party applications to make it an optimal desktop experience. And many users like myself, don't want to deal with that - and in itself rules out it being 'a superior desktop experience' as far as I'm concerned. Fact of the matter is the Windows 8 experience isn't something set in stone when it's out of the box; so you're going to get a variety of people with different experiences, who are all as equally valid as your own. I'm sticking with 7, as I said, I don't want to have to go through the teething of a new OS that requires me to bolt stuff onto, and buries a whole load of features not made for a desktop in mind. I wan't something clean and does what I know it will do; and that comes from my experience, which quite frankly, is as perfectly valid as your own - even if yours is overwhelmingly positive and you've worked out the kinks. Boils down to what you want out of it, which is why whatever is 'superior' or 'more enjoyable' is never an outright fact - I'm not going to deride someone for taking preference in Linux if it serves their needs better, same with OSX or even someone using Win 8.

You are totally correct skrat and your opinion is valid and respected. I just want to add that I installed Windows 8, installed Start 8 (which took 5 minutes including download), then configured Start8 with a few settings (an extra minute) which doesn't really need to be since the default ones are fine.... and now I have an OS which works EXACTLY the same as 7 just faster and with better elements. That was my point.
8-Bitterness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 8-Bitterness
Member since 2009 • 3707 Posts
[QUOTE="demi0227_basic"]skrat_01

I mean I'd really respect and even agree with all this "I don't want to have to basically configure every single thing in my OS" but with W8 it literally takes less than 10 minutes including the start menu. Way I see it though, it's pretty normal that tons of people won't want to adapt though, that's just how it is and I guess it's those people's loss. It's indisputable though (well, not really I guess), that with programs like Start8 (which I mean... 5 bucks c'mon) Windows 8 is simply better than 7.
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 skrat_01
[QUOTE="8-Bitterness"] I mean I'd really respect and even agree with all this "I don't want to have to basically configure every single thing in my OS" but with W8 it literally takes less than 10 minutes including the start menu. Way I see it though, it's pretty normal that tons of people won't want to adapt though, that's just how it is and I guess it's those people's loss. It's indisputable though (well, not really I guess), that with programs like Start8 (which I mean... 5 bucks c'mon) Windows 8 is simply better than 7.

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] You are totally correct skrat and your opinion is valid and respected. I just want to add that I installed Windows 8, installed Start 8 (which took 5 minutes including download), then configured Start8 with a few settings (an extra minute) which doesn't really need to be since the default ones are fine.... and now I have an OS which works EXACTLY the same as 7 just faster and with better elements. That was my point.

Oh don't worry I'm not saying that it isn't easy doing that or quick (heck been checking out Start8 for a while, still on Stardock's mailing list)- and if I ever go back to the OS again I'll be doing just that believe me, I just don't want to have to go back to that environment, especially one with metro and it's charms in the background. Advantages and all, 7 just does everything I want it to atm and I can't say I need faster booting or those nice open file tabs options this side of ignoring metro. But hell, the adopters are making it a helluvalot better OS, working out the kinks, and I'm really glad that's the case, and that it is a ton better with these applications. So I'll wait! Fingers crossed the next iteration is something more suited to what I'm looking for.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 FelipeInside
Windows 9 will have the Metro Bar too so u'll be waiting for a while for the Start Menu. ProTip: Start8 removes the charm bar and hot corners too ;)
S4E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#65 S4E
Member since 2006 • 69 Posts
I have had Windows 8 for quite some time and haven't had any problems with it whatsoever. Haven't had one game not working, no crashes, nothing. Working as solid as anything. Yes, it's different to what Windows OS has been, but come on, you can still use it just like the previous ones (desktop is just one click/tap away). I haven't even bothered to get the start menu back, even though I know it could be done so easily. Would I go back to previous ones, no.
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#66 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts
One major problem for me was backwards compatibility with multiple xp era games having glitches to crashing. I ended up going back to win7 and the problems went away.