• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts

I got it earlier this week, and completely understand all of the fuss.  The Metro start screen is horrid (as you all know, I'm sure) for a desktop environment.  However, it's FAST.  My boots, restarts, and loading of apps is greatly improved over 7 (I've heard others notice no difference, which I don't understand because my speed improvements are HUGELY noticable). 

Anyways, in my title I said Windows 8 Rocks, and here's why.  Classic Shell/Start8.  These are 3rd party apps (free or $5 for Start8) and these apps add a very customizable start menu, and allow you to skip the metro UI entirely (though you can of course still access it if wanted).  These apps, for me, make Windows 8 into a much quicker, leaner, Windows 7.

It's probably not worth the money over Win 7 if you already have that, but if you are on xp/vista and thinking about the upgrade, I'd suggest to you that you try Windows 8 with these third party apps, which alleviate any problems caused by a "tablet" os on a desktop.

Don't hate!  I'm just sharing my experience for others that may be concerned about the negative hype of Windows 8, as I have found Windows 8 to be spectacular.

Side note:  I changed some hardware after Windows 8 install, and messed everything up.  So I had to do another fresh install, and because of Windows 8 syncing features, the reinstallation plus installation of common programs (web browser, addons, etc) took less that 2 hours!!!  Amazing!

yonyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 yonyz
Member since 2008 • 651 Posts

I like it too on my laptop. My Lenovo U310 with its SSD boots into Win 8 in about 8 seconds. It doesn't hang at the BIOS, just shows a huge LENOVO logo and then immediately starts Windows. I also like the Metro apps: Mail, Chrome (has Windows 8 mode), Evernote, Bing Weather. It's immersive and fun to use.

Oh how did I forget. If you have a laptop with a nice trackpad (the U310 has a really nice one), then you'll see how fun the trackpad gestures are (scroll, pinch to zoom, slide from right to left to reveal the Charm Bar, slide down from above the trackpad to make Chrome go fullscreen (or IE show tabs). And the most important, slide from left of the trackpad right to switch apps. I like it.

I am not sure about it but I think fonts are a bit improved, compared to Ubuntu and OS X. Also as you said it's snappier overall and not just during boot time, an I like the new Windows Explorer.

NoGamingOnWin8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 NoGamingOnWin8
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
That's funny. I have heard a lot of horror stories about Windows 8 being poor for gaming. Here is one complaint that shows up on Google. "why can't I play games with windows 8? Been trying to play a few games on steam and its saying I have problem with DIrect X, how ever I checked and my version of Direct x 11 is up to date. Also there seems to be a problem with adobe flash player as well. On steam it won't load videos of the games to preview them, only just installed windows 8 and beginning to understand why soo many people are negative towards it." Here is another about Windows 8 in general: How do I use windows 8 without mentally breaking down? I cannot be the only one to be struggling with this...I hate it so much that I want to throw up on the inventor. I am so serious. However, my mum bought me a new laptop with windows 8, and she put a lot of effort into finding it, so I don't want to tell her that I'm not a fan of it. Does anyone have any coping methods, or help guides for this? I will point out that I am having trouble with windows 8 because I am dyslexic and have OCD, I wish I was not as picky as I am. Any help is appreciated, thank you!! This the truth about Windows 8.A lot of people, including games, absolutely hate it.
Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

No.

It also has poor compatibility with games, which completely renders it a no-buy shovelware.

8-Bitterness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 8-Bitterness
Member since 2009 • 3707 Posts

No.

It also has poor compatibility with games, which completely renders it a no-buy shovelware.

Cyberdot

¡Oh no! ¡Look at this terrible compatibility!

The_Stand_In

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 The_Stand_In
Member since 2010 • 1179 Posts

No.

Cyberdot

Not sure if troll or ignorant... It has almost identical compatibility with games as Windows 7... Windows 8 is basically Windows 7 with a few UI/speed improvements and Metro.

masterdrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 masterdrat
Member since 2006 • 1075 Posts

[QUOTE="Cyberdot"]

No.

The_Stand_In

Not sure if troll or ignorant... It has almost identical compatibility with games as Windows 7... Windows 8 is basically Windows 7 with a few UI/speed improvements and Metro.

That was just a sales pitch. Now that the product is out, we know it was a lie.
The_Stand_In

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 The_Stand_In
Member since 2010 • 1179 Posts

[QUOTE="The_Stand_In"]

[QUOTE="Cyberdot"]

No.

masterdrat

Except that I'm running every single game I had on Windows 7 on Windows 8 without issues. So how exactly was it a lie?

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts
windows 8 adoption may be slow but anyone that says that windows 8 is the new vista is kidding themselves. it's a good OS but it's not worth the money or trouble upgrading. it's fine if you're building or buying a new machine and it comes cheap.
masterdrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 masterdrat
Member since 2006 • 1075 Posts

[QUOTE="masterdrat"][QUOTE="The_Stand_In"]

The_Stand_In

Except that I'm running every single game I had on Windows 7 on Windows 8 without issues. So how exactly was it a lie?

Maybe, but it does not have a 100% compatibility with windows 7 like it was supposed to be. Some people with older hardware have many issues.
-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

I just bought my wife a new laptop and unfortunately it has Windows 8.  Now that I have actually experienced the OS first hand I can say, without a doubt, it is crap.  I won't touch the laptop.  It's the worst OS I've used in a LONG time.  Hell, Vista was better.

Maybe Windows 8 is okay for a touch-screen but on anything else, it's a bad joke.  

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

I just bought my wife a new laptop and unfortunately it has Windows 8.  Now that I have actually experienced the OS first hand I can say, without a doubt, it is crap.  I won't touch the laptop.  It's the worst OS I've used in a LONG time.  Hell, Vista was better.

Maybe Windows 8 is okay for a touch-screen but on anything else, it's a bad joke.  

-wildflower-

Simply buy Windows 7, format the hard drive to get rid of the garbage and install Windows 7.

It's easy.

Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

Ive always upgrade my windows every 2 years..So far its worked out..No problems with windows 7 at all doesnt warrent a upgrade to me..Only thing i wish windows seven had was the ability to swap microphone to speakers..Other than that if windows 8 has that ill swap over an maybe..

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

Maybe Windows 8 is okay for a touch-screen but on anything else, it's a bad joke.  -wildflower-

I don't see how you can say that, unless you're too stupid to figure out where the "Desktop" tile is. As plenty have said, it restarts/boots a hell of a lot faster. And I've not found a program that doesn't work, if anything stuff is working better than ever.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

I just put it back on my desktop. It sure starts up and shutsdown much quicker.

You need start8 though.

At release it was pretty crap.

I like the new file transfer windows, puts them all in one window like gnome now.

I hate the UAC though, it can't be turned off completely. It's a nightmare at times.

Start8 has thankfully been patched so many times. I used it at release and it had a lot of bugs. It's on 1.12 now and there are 0 bugs I've noticed.

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

[QUOTE="-wildflower-"]I just bought my wife a new laptop and unfortunately it has Windows 8.  Now that I have actually experienced the OS first hand I can say, without a doubt, it is crap.  I won't touch the laptop.  It's the worst OS I've used in a LONG time.  Hell, Vista was better.

Maybe Windows 8 is okay for a touch-screen but on anything else, it's a bad joke.  Inconsistancy

I don't see how you can say that, unless you're too stupid to figure out where the "Desktop" tile is. As plenty have said, it restarts/boots a hell of a lot faster. And I've not found a program that doesn't work, if anything stuff is working better than ever.

Yes, that's it, I'm too stupid.  :roll:

How about this: Windows 8 a needlessly redesigned piece of crap and I'd rather not waste 15 seconds relearning what I already knew.  It's also not compatible with some of my wife's work programs but, then,  I guess we're just too stupid to rewrite the code to get that working, too.  

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 demi0227_basic
I find this amusing. Again, to reiterate some points, it's not a worthy or necessary upgrade from Win 7. However, with Start8 or another shell program, it looks and feels like a faster Windows 7. I haven't noticed any difference in gaming or compatibility, though I could see older platforms having issues? I wouldn't know, as a gamer, I keep my rig somewhat up to date. Again, I agree with those that hate the out of the box Win 8. BUT; with Start8/shell program to get the start menu back, it's pretty much Windows 7 improved. I don't even see Metro at all anymore. I boot into the desktop (like Windows 7) and stay in the desktop until I shut my computer down. Also, I timed it this morning, and from pushing the power button to seeing a bios screen takes 12 seconds, and then I'm at a usable desktop 9-10 seconds later! SSD, granted, but still I am VERY impressed with the speed of my computer. 10 seconds to boot? Shutting down takes maybe 2-3 seconds as well. Rebooting I haven't tested yet, but I'm guessing 25-30 seconds. Like I said...if you have 7, great. Don't waste money on a slight upgrade. But if you are on xp/vista, you may as well spring for 8 rather than 7. It's a faster version of 7 with some other neat features (sync). Rage on!
yonyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 yonyz
Member since 2008 • 651 Posts
I haven't encountered a single game on of the games that doesn't work on WIndows 8. Not even one. I'm playing CS GO, Borderlands 1, TF2, Payday The Heist. All but one of these games were made before Windows 8 any yet they work just fine. The same goes for all the software I tried. I agree though that there's no real need to upgrade from 7 to 8, but if your PC comes with it then it's nice to have, it looks better, has nicer fonts to my eyes at least, has some fancy apps and is snappier all around. AND you can get that Start Menu back if you want.
ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

I tried it a few weeks ago and absolutely hated it. Start up times were no better than what I got with 7, game performance did not increase, and to top it off you have to deal with the annoying Metro interface. You shouldn't need to jump through so many hoops to get to stop being so intrusive. There isn't a single reason why I should switch from 7.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

Bought a new laptop the other day, so of course it had Windows 8 on it. Immediately bought Start8, works pretty well now. 

I have no idea why Microsoft seems to think that laptops should have touch-based interfaces. This isn't a tablet, we have a keyboard and a mouse - touch just seems so unintuitive. 

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22390 Posts
If I didn't use my PC for gaming then I would probably go for W8...
TwistedShade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TwistedShade
Member since 2012 • 3139 Posts

I used Windows8 when I was helping a friend buy a laptop and setting it up for him. I'm not really sure why it got all the hate is has, it was honestly a FANTASTIC experience, I really liked the way the Metro UI worked, the Shortcuts, and the App like interface. And it really wasn't that hard to switch to the regular desktop if you would prefer it.

Lost-to-Apathy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23 Lost-to-Apathy
Member since 2012 • 459 Posts

Meh, I'll stick with Windows 7 for the next 10 years or so.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
NEWS FLASH to ALL: If you are sooooo against the Metro Screen, install Start8 (google it) then test it for a few weeks and come back and tell me it's not better than Windows 7.... (hint: you won't be able to)
kweeni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 kweeni
Member since 2007 • 11413 Posts

Got a new laptop about 3(or so) months ago with Windows 8 on it and I gotta say I like it a lot. I don't even use Start8, I don't think it's necessary. After a day or two I got used to the metro start sceen and actually ended up liking it. I looks pretty nice and I don't think it's hard to use at all without a touch screen. Though I'll be honest I almost never see the start screen. The moment my laptop starts up I just press that desktop view tile and remain in desktop view until I shut the pc down. It's pretty much the exact same thing as Windows 7.

I also love how fast this thing is. I have 2 5400rmp HDDs and a 32GB msata SSD and everything opens fast and fluid. The start up only takes about 10 seconds or so which is just awesome. I'm not exactly sure how big of an impact that msata ssd has but yeah, this thing runs fast. Though I do want to upgrade to a proper SSD and a 7200rpm HDD at some point. I'd love to see how fast this thing can start up with a real SSD(not saying that the start up is the reason I want an SSD, but it is interesting to know).

As for games well I don't really game much on pc anymore but all the games that I did play here ran perfectly, no issues at all. The oldest game that I've played here so far is Call of Duty 1, the most recent one would be Planetside 2. Didn't have any problems with either. I just pop in the disk or start up Steam and play the game.

I can understand why so many people dislike Windows 8 and I will admit I used to be unsure about it myself but yeah after actually using it I think it's great. And I think most people just hate on it because they're afraid of change and/or because they haven't (properly) tried it yet(well just my opinion anyway).
If you have used it and the start screen really does bother you that much then just get Start8, it's only like 5 bucks or something which I don't think should cause any drama. It will pretty much turn Windows 8 into Windows 7 so no need to install a new OS(unless you really want to then go for it I guess).

But yeah, as the OP said, if you have Windows 7 then it's not really worth the upgrade.
If you have an older version of Windows and are planning to upgrade then I recommend Windows 8 or that you at least try it out. And I don't mean try it out for 5 minutes then judge it, that won't be enough. I mean try it out for a few days, maybe a week, try to get to know it a little better and get used to it a little. If you still end up hating it then yeah, either go with Start8 or Windows 7 I guess.

Mozuckint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 Mozuckint
Member since 2012 • 831 Posts

I'll probably wait until Microsoft rolls out Blue to further iron the system out. If not there's always 9 or whatever.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
I decided to go with Windows 7 when I built my PC a few weeks back. I will be skipping 8.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 FelipeInside
I decided to go with Windows 7 when I built my PC a few weeks back. I will be skipping 8.AmazonTreeBoa
Reason? Cause I built a PC a few weeks back too.
robertlie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 robertlie
Member since 2003 • 866 Posts

I'm really happy with Windows 7, so i don't really see any reasons why is should upgrade to windows 8 at this point. If it works, don't fix it etc..I never use apps either.

Nighteg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#30 Nighteg
Member since 2009 • 334 Posts
The only game that didn't work on my WIN8 laptop was Crysis3. Otherwise, great OS. The only thing that pisses me off about WIN8 is that i have to enter password every time i restart :/
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 JigglyWiggly_

The only game that didn't work on my WIN8 laptop was Crysis3. Otherwise, great OS. The only thing that pisses me off about WIN8 is that i have to enter password every time i restart :/Nighteg

win + r

control userpasswords2 uncheck "users have to enter password"

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="Nighteg"]The only game that didn't work on my WIN8 laptop was Crysis3. Otherwise, great OS. The only thing that pisses me off about WIN8 is that i have to enter password every time i restart :/

Maybe cause of specs on the laptop because it ran fine on my Windows 8 Install. As for the password, there are guides on how to bypass it. Google it but I've never tried it myself.
PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

I just put it back on my desktop. It sure starts up and shutsdown much quicker.

You need start8 though.

At release it was pretty crap.

I like the new file transfer windows, puts them all in one window like gnome now.

I hate the UAC though, it can't be turned off completely. It's a nightmare at times.

Start8 has thankfully been patched so many times. I used it at release and it had a lot of bugs. It's on 1.12 now and there are 0 bugs I've noticed.

JigglyWiggly_
Quick boot time is kinda nice I guess, the problem is Windows 7 already boots up pretty fast, and how many times a day do I boot my computer? That would be once a day on average. Also, why would you upgrade to Windows 8 AND purchase third party software to... make it more like Windows 7? Combining all the file transfer windows into one sounds nice, but not being able to turn off the UAC sound absolutely horrendous if it's anything like the UAC in Win7. Never mind Metro, that alone would keep me away from Win8!
demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 demi0227_basic
Theres a lot of misinformation I see in this thread. Win 8 = Faster than Win 7. Not JUST boot and shutdown, but getting around through the desktop on most tasks. As stated, it's "snappier" and thus more pleasurable to use when multitasking. Again...Win 8, for the same money as 7, is faster, and YOU CAN SKIP THE METRO UI AND HAVE A START MENU JUST LIKE IN 7, but with MORE customization!!! Granted Metro sucks for desktop (as noted some don't mind, but I think it sucks) but with 2 minutes of your time you can have a start menu. UAC can be turned off. I'm not sure where the complaints are on this one. I turned it off right after install, haven't been bothered by it since (just like 7) To those that "tried" it at a friends house or some such thing...yeah, I'm sure it'll suck since you need a bit of time really seeing how it works (took me less than a day) and getting rid of metro. Here's my final stance at this point: Windows 8, with 2 minutes of time, looks and behaves like a FASTER version of Windows 7. Thus, if you are on 7, it may or may not be worth the money. If you are on XP/Vista and need a new OS for a newer build, you MAY AS WELL PICK UP 8 INSTEAD OF 7. PS: I think Metro would be pretty neat if I had it on a tablet. As is, I love that I don't have to see it at any point on my desktop.
trastamad03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 trastamad03
Member since 2006 • 4859 Posts
Isn't start8 buggy and a service rather than part of the UI. I've been hearing that Start is Back is better.
demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 demi0227_basic
Isn't start8 buggy and a service rather than part of the UI. I've been hearing that Start is Back is better.trastamad03
Theres a bunch of shell programs. Classic shell is probably the best freeware (just youtube it) and Start8 is $5. The point is that any of these programs turns Win8 into a really great OS.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 JigglyWiggly_
Isn't start8 buggy and a service rather than part of the UI. I've been hearing that Start is Back is better.trastamad03
Start8 is perfect now. Buggy at release.
AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"]I decided to go with Windows 7 when I built my PC a few weeks back. I will be skipping 8.FelipeInside

Because everything I have read about 8 sucks. Plus I don't like it's look and lack of a start button. At the same time. Everything I have heard about 7 has been good news.
demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 demi0227_basic
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"]I decided to go with Windows 7 when I built my PC a few weeks back. I will be skipping 8.AmazonTreeBoa

Because everything I have read about 8 sucks. Plus I don't like it's look and lack of a start button. At the same time. Everything I have heard about 7 has been good news.

Sorry to hear that. You could have installed Win 8 and had it acting like a faster Win 7 in a shorter time than it took you to install Win 7. To each their own. 7 is of course a great OS. 8's better with just a few minutes of tweaking, but there is certainly nothing wrong with 7.
funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 funkyzoom
Member since 2005 • 1534 Posts

[QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"] Reason? Cause I built a PC a few weeks back too.demi0227_basic

Sorry to hear that. You could have installed Win 8 and had it acting like a faster Win 7 in a shorter time than it took you to install Win 7. To each their own. 7 is of course a great OS. 8's better with just a few minutes of tweaking, but there is certainly nothing wrong with 7.

If you use Start 8, do you get Windows Aero? Last time I checked out, there was no way to bring back Aero in Windows 8. The Metro UI is surely a crappy mess. But the absence of Aero in Windows 8 is a real deal breaker for me, because I'm used to it and I do prefer some amount of eye candy in my OS.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#41 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

I'm sure it's fine.....but you said it all when you said it is not worth getting if you are already using Windows 7. If I get a new PC I have no issue getting Windows 8....if it comes with it. If not I will stick to my copy of 7.

Avatar image for GeneralMufinMan
GeneralMufinMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 GeneralMufinMan
Member since 2013 • 387 Posts

I loved Windows 8 at first too, those speeds being the main factor, but also the improved tools built into the OS. I also got and loved Star8, I'd consider Windows 8 pretty much unusable for me without it. The Metro UI may be great for touch-screens but I've used it maybe for a grand total of an hour in the past 6 months.

But now that I'm working from home I've noticed alot of my programs just aren't running like they should (google sketchup, autocad, publisher, illustrator, ect) I've also seen some bizarre performance drops in certain games and some that just won't work with 8 at all. So now I'm going to have to switch back to Windows 7.

IMO the best thing Microsoft could've done is realsed Windows 8 as it is for touch-screen devices (maybe call it Windows 7 Touch) and release the improved tools and desktop-related items as a service pack for 7. 

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"]I decided to go with Windows 7 when I built my PC a few weeks back. I will be skipping 8.AmazonTreeBoa

Sad cause you listened to most people that played with Windows 8 at a store for 5 minutes, couldn't learn it and therefore deducted it sucks. I've put it on my new rig and love it. EVERYTHING is faster, has better features and runs flawlessly. If you really can't get a handle of the new menu (which takes maximum 30minutes to learn) then you just put Start8 which works perfect.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 FelipeInside

I loved Windows 8 at first too, those speeds being the main factor, but also the improved tools built into the OS. I also got and loved Star8, I'd consider Windows 8 pretty much unusable for me without it. The Metro UI may be great for touch-screens but I've used it maybe for a grand total of an hour in the past 6 months.

But now that I'm working from home I've noticed alot of my programs just aren't running like they should (google sketchup, autocad, publisher, illustrator, ect) I've also seen some bizarre performance drops in certain games and some that just won't work with 8 at all. So now I'm going to have to switch back to Windows 7.

IMO the best thing Microsoft could've done is realsed Windows 8 as it is for touch-screen devices (maybe call it Windows 7 Touch) and release the improved tools and desktop-related items as a service pack for 7. 

GeneralMufinMan
Something to do with your install. I have Publisher 2010, Illustrator CS6 and they run fine. I haven't got Autocad or Sketchup though.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="demi0227_basic"][QUOTE="AmazonTreeBoa"]Because everything I have read about 8 sucks. Plus I don't like it's look and lack of a start button. At the same time. Everything I have heard about 7 has been good news.funkyzoom

If you use Start 8, do you get Windows Aero? Last time I checked out, there was no way to bring back Aero in Windows 8. The Metro UI is surely a crappy mess. But the absence of Aero in Windows 8 is a real deal breaker for me, because I'm used to it and I do prefer some amount of eye candy in my OS.

I thought I was going to miss Aero too, but I really haven't. Windows 8 looks fine and I don't even notice that Aero is not there. Definitely not something to judge a whole OS by.
demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 demi0227_basic
[QUOTE="funkyzoom"]

[QUOTE="demi0227_basic"] Sorry to hear that. You could have installed Win 8 and had it acting like a faster Win 7 in a shorter time than it took you to install Win 7. To each their own. 7 is of course a great OS. 8's better with just a few minutes of tweaking, but there is certainly nothing wrong with 7.FelipeInside

Truth be told, I'm not even sure what Aero is. I thought it was something to do with transparent "borders" on apps and the taskbar. Well...I have that on Win 8. It sure looks "pretty" enough, I guess. The only thing I can tell a visual difference, between 7 and 8, is that the stock windows are square on 8 whereas on 7 they had slightly rounded corners. Start8 and Classic Shell give you the option to change that if you want, though I'm fond of the square corners. Perhaps somebody can educate me so I know what I'm missing without Aero? I thought I was going to miss Aero too, but I really haven't. Windows 8 looks fine and I don't even notice that Aero is not there. Definitely not something to judge a whole OS by.

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 funkyzoom
Member since 2005 • 1534 Posts

[QUOTE="funkyzoom"]

[QUOTE="demi0227_basic"] Sorry to hear that. You could have installed Win 8 and had it acting like a faster Win 7 in a shorter time than it took you to install Win 7. To each their own. 7 is of course a great OS. 8's better with just a few minutes of tweaking, but there is certainly nothing wrong with 7.FelipeInside

I thought I was going to miss Aero too, but I really haven't. Windows 8 looks fine and I don't even notice that Aero is not there. Definitely not something to judge a whole OS by.

@FelipeInside

Buddy, I have observed that you ALWAYS speak highly in favor of Windows 8 whenever there is a debate, even when the odds are heavily against you. I hope you know that Steam, which is hugely popular and is required for most modern games, doesn't officially support Windows 8. I agree it does run on Windows 8, but the official Steam page says 'Windows XP, Vista, or 7'. I understand that you absolutely adore Windows 8, but when you think practically, I'm sure you'll agree that Windows 8 has far more disadvantages compared to advantages. The worst thing is the horrid Metro UI, which is a sloppy mess on non touchscreen systems. Then, there is no start menu. Agreed, you can buy Start8 and restore it, but who would be willing to pay for third party software just to make a full priced OS user friendly? Next up, the lack of codecs for playing DVDs and Blu Ray using Windows Media Player. Again you need to purchase these codecs. Then of course, the removal of Aero. I can go on and on, but I'd better stop here. Now, I'm not one of those guys who tried Windows 8 at a store for 5 minutes, like you mentioned somewhere. I foolishly purchased Windows 8 with my hard earned money, because I never imagined Microsoft would be foolish enough to release a touch based OS for a desktop. I used it on my PC for more than a month. I tried really hard to like it, because I always had a lot of faith in Microsoft products. But it just didn't work out. Even simple tasks seemed tedious with this OS. I was so frustrated that I went back to Windows 7 and vowed never to use Windows 8 again. Just see, almost everyone who praise Windows 8 only mention its speed improvement. I too experienced a massive boost in boot times with Windows 8. But when its having so many glaring flaws, people would rather stick with a slightly slower Windows 7. Besides, most people don't shut down their systems often (because they prefer to keep their PC in sleep mode), so the issue of boot time doesn't even arise.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="funkyzoom"]

funkyzoom

@FelipeInside

Buddy, I have observed that you ALWAYS speak highly in favor of Windows 8 whenever there is a debate, even when the odds are heavily against you. I hope you know that Steam, which is hugely popular and is required for most modern games, doesn't officially support Windows 8. I agree it does run on Windows 8, but the official Steam page says 'Windows XP, Vista, or 7'. I understand that you absolutely adore Windows 8, but when you think practically, I'm sure you'll agree that Windows 8 has far more disadvantages compared to advantages. The worst thing is the horrid Metro UI, which is a sloppy mess on non touchscreen systems. Then, there is no start menu. Agreed, you can buy Start8 and restore it, but who would be willing to pay for third party software just to make a full priced OS user friendly? Next up, the lack of codecs for playing DVDs and Blu Ray using Windows Media Player. Again you need to purchase these codecs. Then of course, the removal of Aero. I can go on and on, but I'd better stop here. Now, I'm not one of those guys who tried Windows 8 at a store for 5 minutes, like you mentioned somewhere. I foolishly purchased Windows 8 with my hard earned money, because I never imagined Microsoft would be foolish enough to release a touch based OS for a desktop. I used it on my PC for more than a month. I tried really hard to like it, because I always had a lot of faith in Microsoft products. But it just didn't work out. Even simple tasks seemed tedious with this OS. I was so frustrated that I went back to Windows 7 and vowed never to use Windows 8 again. Just see, almost everyone who praise Windows 8 only mention its speed improvement. I too experienced a massive boost in boot times with Windows 8. But when its having so many glaring flaws, people would rather stick with a slightly slower Windows 7. Besides, most people don't shut down their systems often (because they prefer to keep their PC in sleep mode), so the issue of boot time doesn't even arise.

NOTE: I do not ALWAYS speak highly of Windows 8. It's got problems but I see the pros as well (which many don't once they see a con). NOTE: Reviews now are saying Windows 8 is a good OS, so it's not just me. - You gave it a good go I see and didn't like it, that's fine and I respect that. As for pros vs cons, there are both. I for one can use the "new" menu without any issues, but I also have Start8 installed to see how it works (perfectly) and I switch between the two. - Steam works fine on Windows 8, have been using it since the start. It's "not supported" by Valve cause we all know Gabe hates Windows 8 cause he is going for the Steam Box. Sooner or later Steam will HAVE to have "compatible with Windows 8". This happens with lots of software, not just Steam btw, it's been like that for years. - Codecs I haven't tested because I watch DVDs on my TV. - As for paying for third party, like you haven't installed 3rd party software before on Windows to make it better for yourself? - Aero like I said I don't miss, I don't see the big fuss really. - Cons it has of course. The Metro Menu still needs to be optimized and made more user friendly for kb/mouse, which it has been since Beta. - Speed it just not boot time and shut down, the whole OS feels faster. But granted, this is a new install. Will have to wait and see in a year. - Other cons are cloud sync, instant restore, better task manager, better memory management, the new transfer bar etc etc. Summary: if you have Windows 7, no need to upgrade. If you build a new rig, no reason not to install Windows 8 since you can even get the classic start menu anyway (in case you can't get used to the new menu).
demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 demi0227_basic

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="funkyzoom"]

funkyzoom

@FelipeInside

First off, I understand your' concerns. Please let me address them for others: You claim the worst thing is Metro UI. 2 minutes downloading Classic Shell for free and setting it up, and you never see Metro again unless you want to. Problem solved. The next claim is the lack of start menu. Well...same as above. 2 minutes of Classic Shell (Start8 has fewer features and costs $5, but I like it more and it's more user friendly) and the problem is solved. The next complaint is a lack of codecs to watch shows in Media Player. 1 Minute to download and install Media Player Classic. Free. So, in 3 minutes I've fixed your real gripes. Now HERE is where I'm going to agree with you the most! What the $#@$ was MS thinking by not putting in the shell in the first place? When I comment on this site, I assume people are relatively familiar with computers and the suggestions I have made can give people, like you, comfort in the purchase over 7 (again...if coming from xp/vista) because it's quicker. I'm also assuming people aren't afraid to download/install tiny programs and spend a couple minutes tweaking things to their liking. However, for most people purchasing 8 on a real computer and not knowing how to tweak these things, this is a MAJORLY HUGE FAILURE on Microsoft's part. How could they not see these GLARING issues and implement the simple fixes I've stated? I'm sure a couple of employees could have added these necessary features very quickly for them and then you wouldn't have to get a third party app to fix the problems. This, I think, is the real question. I had my wife get on my computer and I told her I had Windows 8. She thought it was 7 and couldn't tell the difference until I showed her Metro! lol. I thought it was quite funny.
Avatar image for GeneralMufinMan
GeneralMufinMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 GeneralMufinMan
Member since 2013 • 387 Posts

[QUOTE="GeneralMufinMan"]

FelipeInside

Something to do with your install. I have Publisher 2010, Illustrator CS6 and they run fine. I haven't got Autocad or Sketchup though.

You mean my install of Windows 8 or my install of all the seperate programs? Cause the OS itself seems to run fine...