Windows 8 for gaming

• 77 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

V3rciS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 V3rciS
Member since 2011 • 2241 Posts

Just keep Win7 man... the best MS OS so far.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
[QUOTE="Cyberdot"]

You would be best using Windows 7 for gaming and general use.

Windows 8 is such a torture to use. Very confusing and you get lost easily.

Inconsistancy

How could you possibly find Win8 to be confusing?

I agree, for a PC gamer Win8 should be easy to use. My mum learned it in a week for Christs Sake, and she is really bad with computers.
sleepingzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#53 sleepingzzz
Member since 2006 • 2263 Posts

[QUOTE="Inconsistancy"][QUOTE="Cyberdot"]

FelipeInside

I agree, for a PC gamer Win8 should be easy to use. My mum learned it in a week for Christs Sake, and she is really bad with computers.

I wouldn't call in confusing, more like cumbersome and unintuitive because of the bad UI design.

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

[QUOTE="Cyberdot"]

Inconsistancy

Dat Metro UI...

Took me a while to figure out how to shut the computer down. Why should it be hard to do it?

ShimmerMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#56 ShimmerMan
Member since 2008 • 4634 Posts

There's no beneficial gain for gaming on windows 8 otherwise gamers would be upgrading. Stick with Windows 7, or if you want to fluff around with Metro Ui and don't mind some possible compatability issues then I guess upgrade to win 8, simple as that.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="Inconsistancy"][QUOTE="Cyberdot"]

Cyberdot

Dat Metro UI...

Took me a while to figure out how to shut the computer down. Why should it be hard to do it?

I agree on the Shut Down button, it should be somewhere else and easier to get to.
millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#58 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts
I quite liked Win 8. Only reason I went back was because some of my prephs didn't work as well.
wkp63

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 wkp63
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
I think the more RAM you have the better! My friend's PC running 32 GB DDR3 RAM on Windows 8! Damn fast & smooth!
skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
It has legacy software issues from what I know, and unless you hide Metro by installing third party software you're going to have a nightmare of an experience. At this current stage 7 seems like the more ideal gaming OS, especially if you're using it already. Otherwise personally I'd hold off, but that's your prerogative.
MasterNinja49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 MasterNinja49
Member since 2008 • 461 Posts

I got Windows 8 last week, at first it was annoying for desktop use but after some tweaks and learning shortcut keys it's growing on me, and the games I played so far (Civ 5, Skyrim, Metro Last Light) play the same as Windows 7.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#62 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Do the Windows 8 gestures (such as dragging screens and resizing windows) work with the built-in touchpads of most laptops or do you have to buy a dedicated touchpad like this:

t650-wireless-rechargeable-touchpad.jpg

WinsteadVolve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#63 WinsteadVolve
Member since 2011 • 366 Posts

Personally I believe there hasn't been much of an effect on my gaming since making a transition from XP to Win 8 (Yes I did skip 7 completely, personal reasons) if anything the UI is cleaner and no problems have arisen from my ASUS Laptop,, that being said, I had compatibility issues to sort out with older games, such as Fallout 3, but I surpassed them, I cannot wait until 8.1 comes out, it will improve on a number of discrepancies that I have with the software as a whole, not really gaming centric.

kerk12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#64 kerk12
Member since 2010 • 1580 Posts
Well... windows 8 DO have less RAM usage than windows 7 and are pretty damn quick, however, they're still pretty new and some companies haven't made their games compatible, but it'll most likely not pose an issue to you. I did have some problems with really old games (released around 2002) but I haven't had any other problems so far. It should be noted that some software will pose an issue (non gaming), for example Photoshop which frustrated me a bit with it's graphical glitches, but that's another thread... My advice: Give them a try :D.
Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#65 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

The only real issue with gaming that I've encountered is with older GFW clients. Earlier games that use GFW come with a version of the client doesn't work in Win8 (like Dark Souls or GTA4). The solution is to simply uninstall the older version of the client and install a newer one, then everything works fine.

Regarding Win8 as an overall OS, sure the Metro UI is an eyesore on a non-touchscreen computer but it actually works almost exactly the same as the Start Button did in terms of basic functionality. Click the lower left of the screen or press the Windows Key, start typing the name of your program and it pops up. It's really not that different.

-Byshop

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 FelipeInside

Do the Windows 8 gestures (such as dragging screens and resizing windows) work with the built-in touchpads of most laptops or do you have to buy a dedicated touchpad like this:

t650-wireless-rechargeable-touchpad.jpg

jun_aka_pekto
I believe in depends on the driver of the laptop touchpad. Some touchpads are gesture based while others work only just like a mouse.
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#67 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Looking forward to getting my new Asus tablet running Win8. School's coming up, and I need a new toy, since I gave away my laptop to my aunt. haha
_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

[QUOTE="Cyberdot"]

Inconsistancy

yeahh.. i mean if you can use a smartphone you can use windows 8

JasonBroady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 JasonBroady
Member since 2013 • 60 Posts

Windows 8 for Current Games Not Recommended by me :D

Far Cry 3

Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon

jdiego82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#70 jdiego82
Member since 2006 • 272 Posts

Since you're already experienced with Windows 8 and you need it for work, I'd say install it. Can't really give my opinion on Win 8 gaming, since I'm still on 7, but if you're looking for a UI that's a lot like Win 7 (like me), wait for Windows 8.1.

SKaREO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#71 SKaREO
Member since 2006 • 3161 Posts
I didn't read any of this thread at all. i'll just say: lolno.
Kravyn81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#72 Kravyn81
Member since 2005 • 9438 Posts
My concerns are similar to the TC. I have a lot of older games (mid- to late '90s) and I'll be getting a new laptop soon with Win8 on it. I'm just wondering if my games will be compatible or not since it will be my only option for gaming on a PC is concerned.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 FelipeInside

Since you're already experienced with Windows 8 and you need it for work, I'd say install it. Can't really give my opinion on Win 8 gaming, since I'm still on 7, but if you're looking for a UI that's a lot like Win 7 (like me), wait for Windows 8.1.

jdiego82
8.1 won't have a UI like Win7, it's just adding a Start Tip Button and a few more options for the Metro Menu.
Shryke888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Shryke888
Member since 2005 • 61 Posts

Everybody who says Windows 8 is inferior to Windows 7 has no idea what they're talking about. I won't say that I haven't had problems with a couple of (older) games under Windows 8, but Windows 8 has been an even smoother experience than Windows 7 was.

As a long-time Windows 8 user and heavy gamer, believe me: Windows 8 + classic shell offers everything Windows 7 has plus more speed, better convenience, better security, better file copy interface, etc. etc.

All those bashing Windows 8: you've bowed to the negative hype and you are doing yourself a disservice. Give it a real shot with Classic Shell installed and tell me what you still like better about Windows 7.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 FelipeInside

Everybody who says Windows 8 is inferior to Windows 7 has no idea what they're talking about. I won't say that I haven't had problems with a couple of (older) games under Windows 8, but Windows 8 has been an even smoother experience than Windows 7 was.

As a long-time Windows 8 user and heavy gamer, believe me: Windows 8 + classic shell offers everything Windows 7 has plus more speed, better convenience, better security, better file copy interface, etc. etc.

All those bashing Windows 8: you've bowed to the negative hype and you are doing yourself a disservice. Give it a real shot with Classic Shell installed and tell me what you still like better about Windows 7.

Shryke888
But.... But.... a new menu !!! I must learn something new !!!
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 FelipeInside
This is what I mean by Microsoft's idea of unifying the different platforms. Good ad showing this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RS6r8QgLfLk