Windows 8 for gaming

• 77 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 funkyzoom
Member since 2005 • 1534 Posts

I recently obtained a free Windows 8 license from my company, and I'd like to try it out. I'm currently using Windows 7. I have heard that there are several games which have compatibility issues with Windows 8, and I also know that Steam doesn't even officially support Windows 8. I have a huge library of games on Steam, and I also play very old games, released even as far back as early 90s. So I just wanted to know, will all the games which run well on Windows 7, also work fine on Windows 8? I'm asking this question both with respect to Steam and the other games. If you have played games on Windows 8, please help me out with this. Thank you.

P.S. There is a reason why I need to install Windows 8. Apart from gaming, I also develop apps for Windows Phone 8. This can be done only with Visual Studio 2012 on Windows 8. All these days I used to work only on my office PC which had Windows 8 installed, but now, due to some change in our company policy, I may sometimes be required to work from home on my desktop. This is the reason why all employees of my company who develop apps for Windows Phone 8 were provided with free lincensed copies of Windows 8. I have only used Windows 8 for asp.net and Windows Phone 8 development, but never for games. Right now I dual boot my desktop with Windows XP and Windows 7. I can't let go of XP because some important legacy software work only on it. And I don't think its possible to triple boot 3 Windows OSes (even if its possible, I wouldn't do it). So the only option left for me is to remove Windows 7 and dual boot Windows 8 with Windows XP.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts
You are going to get some varied answers I am sure of that... Some people say things work great for them and others say it sucks. I will give you my personal opinion. Just stick with what you have. There is not a single reason to upgrade to 8 other than its "new". I think the support for Windows 7 goes until like 2020 and by then we will probably have Windows 11 lol..... Anyways just my personal opinon on the matter. Why put up with potiental frustration if you don't have to.
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

I havent ran into any problems with games specifically being Windows 8. If it works in 7, it should work in Windows 8. There may be a few exceptions here and there, but they are likely pretty rare.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

If you're rolling with Windows 7 and everything is fine and the majority of gaming industry doesn't like Windows 8 and therefor is highly unlikely to develop games for that operative system, then just stick with Windows 7.

Only reasons, as far as I'm concerned, to get Windows 8 is if you either just want it cause it's the newest OS or you want your machine to be a large Ipad that's more of a hassle to bring along then an actually Ipad.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#5 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10591 Posts
I haven't heard of any problems with running Steam on Windows 8. It is also my understanding that any game designed to run on Windows 7 should also have no problems running on Windows 8, since most of the behind-the-scenes stuff are the same. However, I've heard older games are known to have some problems. Wouldn't surprise me; new version of Windows are known to remove compatibility legacy stuff. There should be guides around the web for workarounds if you search for them, or you could try re-buying your game from GOG; most GOG games purport to support Windows 8.
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 XaosII

There is not a single reason to upgrade to 8 other than its "new". Arthas045

Faster boot times and shut down times. Vastly improved task manager. Battery life savings for laptops. Sleep/hybrid mode so you get the best of both rather than picking between one or the other. Settings can synchronize between multiple computers. File History options to for file backups and file versioning. Much more convenient File Explorer with more features exposed than Win 7. Built in Microsoft Security Essentials at the OS level so it performs better and extends a few IE only features to the entire OS. Storage Spaces feature allows to dynamically resize RAID-like arrays. Reset and Refresh features make it much nicer to reformat (reformating without a disk completely, or reformat and maintain personal settings and files). Better multimonitor support (has lots of features that required stuff like Multimon to take advantage of). Native USB 3.0, printer driver, 2TB+, and sensors support. Copy/pasting dialog is much better, especially for handling overwriting files.

Theres more. But im forgetting. Theres a lot more to Windows 8 than most people realize. Its better than Windows 7 in practically every single way.

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 funkyzoom

If you're rolling with Windows 7 and everything is fine and the majority of gaming industry doesn't like Windows 8 and therefor is highly unlikely to develop games for that operative system, then just stick with Windows 7.

Only reasons, as far as I'm concerned, to get Windows 8 is if you either just want it cause it's the newest OS or you want your machine to be a large Ipad that's more of a hassle to bring along then an actually Ipad.

Treflis

There is a reason why I need to install Windows 8. Apart from gaming, I also develop apps for Windows Phone 8. This can be done only with Visual Studio 2012 on Windows 8. All these days I used to work only on my office PC which had Windows 8 installed, but now, due to some change in our company policy, I may sometimes be required to work from home on my desktop. This is the reason why all employees of my company who develop apps for Windows Phone 8 were provided with free lincensed copies of Windows 8. I have only used Windows 8 for asp.net and Windows Phone 8 development, but never for games. Right now I dual boot my desktop with Windows XP and Windows 7. I can't let go of XP because some important legacy software work only on it. And I don't think its possible to triple boot 3 Windows OSes (even if its possible, I wouldn't do it). So the only option left for me is to remove Windows 7 and dual boot Windows 8 with Windows XP.

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 funkyzoom

[QUOTE="Arthas045"]There is not a single reason to upgrade to 8 other than its "new". XaosII

Faster boot times and shut down times. Vastly improved task manager. Battery life savings for laptops. Sleep/hybrid mode so you get the best of both rather than picking between one or the other. Settings can synchronize between multiple computers. File History options to for file backups and file versioning. Much more convenient File Explorer with more features exposed than Win 7. Built in Microsoft Security Essentials at the OS level so it performs better and extends a few IE only features to the entire OS. Storage Spaces feature allows to dynamically resize RAID-like arrays. Reset and Refresh features make it much nicer to reformat (reformating without a disk completely, or reformat and maintain personal settings and files). Better multimonitor support (has lots of features that required stuff like Multimon to take advantage of). Native USB 3.0, printer driver, 2TB+, and sensors support. Copy/pasting dialog is much better, especially for handling overwriting files.

Theres more. But im forgetting. Theres a lot more to Windows 8 than most people realize. Its better than Windows 7 in practically every single way.

Of course Windows 8 is better than Windows 7 in almost every way, except for that stupid Metro UI which is pretty much a deal breaker for people who use a keyboard and moue rather than a touch screen.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

[QUOTE="Treflis"]

funkyzoom

There is a reason why I need to install Windows 8. Apart from gaming, I also develop apps for Windows Phone 8. This can be done only with Visual Studio 2012 on Windows 8. All these days I used to work only on my office PC which had Windows 8 installed, but now, due to some change in our company policy, I may sometimes be required to work from home on my desktop. This is the reason why all employees of my company who develop apps for Windows Phone 8 were provided with free lincensed copies of Windows 8. I have only used Windows 8 for asp.net and Windows Phone 8 development, but never for games. Right now I dual boot my desktop with Windows XP and Windows 7. I can't let go of XP because some important legacy software work only on it. And I don't think its possible to triple boot 3 Windows OSes (even if its possible, I wouldn't do it). So the only option left for me is to remove Windows 7 and dual boot Windows 8 with Windows XP.

Well if you have to have it then you know what needs to be done...... DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNN
madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 madrocketeer
There is a reason why I need to install Windows 8. Apart from gaming, I also develop apps for Windows Phone 8. This can be done only with Visual Studio 2012 on Windows 8. All these days I used to work only on my office PC which had Windows 8 installed, but now, due to some change in our company policy, I may sometimes be required to work from home on my desktop. This is the reason why all employees of my company who develop apps for Windows Phone 8 were provided with free lincensed copies of Windows 8. I have only used Windows 8 for asp.net and Windows Phone 8 development, but never for games. Right now I dual boot my desktop with Windows XP and Windows 7. I can't let go of XP because some important legacy software work only on it. And I don't think its possible to triple boot 3 Windows OSes (even if its possible, I wouldn't do it). So the only option left for me is to remove Windows 7 and dual boot Windows 8 with Windows XP.funkyzoom
As I said, most apps designed for Windows 7 should run just fine on Windows 8, so I don't see any danger upgrading your Win7 partition to Win8, especially as you also have a WinXP partition for the legacy stuff. Green light for me.
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 XaosII

Of course Windows 8 is better than Windows 7 in almost every way, except for that stupid Metro UI which is pretty much a deal breaker for people who use a keyboard and moue rather than a touch screen.

funkyzoom

No, Metro UI is still much better regardless of your input controls.

At its worse, i can guarantee you that it is functionally equivalent to Windows 7 (takes the same number of clicks or steps), or is much faster.

By far, the fastest way is Windows key + the first three or four letters of the application and the enter key. Usually takes less than 2 seconds. And this feature works just as well in Vista or Windows 7.

You can still rearrange programs in metro to be upfront or closer to the left. You can largely avoid it by using the same techniques as before with shortcuts, jump lists, or pinning to the taskbar.

skipper847

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 skipper847
Member since 2006 • 7334 Posts

The only thing that is wrong with windows 8 at the moment is its desktop and layout like how to get to windows update and the start menu has gone. Ive just put windows 8 on tonight and not just saying that and just tried FarCry 3 which runs alot smoother imo. The Desk top and internet runs alot faster too. There is an update coming very soon which why i put it on called windows 8.1 or windows blue ive heard which i think is bringing back the start menu and other changes..

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

[QUOTE="funkyzoom"]

XaosII

At its worse, i can guarantee you that it is functionally equivalent to Windows 7 (takes the same number of clicks or steps), or is much faster.

By far, the fastest way is Windows key + the first three or four letters of the application and the enter key. Usually takes less than 2 seconds. And this feature works just as well in Vista or Windows 7.

You can still rearrange programs in metro to be upfront or closer to the left. You can largely avoid it by using the same techniques as before with shortcuts, jump lists, or pinning to the taskbar.

no it's not it's worse maybe if you have terribad mosuing, windows 8 ui is better i'm, on windows 8 atm though works fine
funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 funkyzoom

[QUOTE="funkyzoom"]There is a reason why I need to install Windows 8. Apart from gaming, I also develop apps for Windows Phone 8. This can be done only with Visual Studio 2012 on Windows 8. All these days I used to work only on my office PC which had Windows 8 installed, but now, due to some change in our company policy, I may sometimes be required to work from home on my desktop. This is the reason why all employees of my company who develop apps for Windows Phone 8 were provided with free lincensed copies of Windows 8. I have only used Windows 8 for asp.net and Windows Phone 8 development, but never for games. Right now I dual boot my desktop with Windows XP and Windows 7. I can't let go of XP because some important legacy software work only on it. And I don't think its possible to triple boot 3 Windows OSes (even if its possible, I wouldn't do it). So the only option left for me is to remove Windows 7 and dual boot Windows 8 with Windows XP.madrocketeer
As I said, most apps designed for Windows 7 should run just fine on Windows 8, so I don't see any danger upgrading your Win7 partition to Win8, especially as you also have a WinXP partition for the legacy stuff. Green light for me.

Yeah, I can never let go of XP because there are a couple of software which work only on XP, and refuse to run on Windows 7 or Windows 8 even with compatibility settings applied.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 XaosII

no it's not it's worse maybe if you have terribad mosuing, windows 8 ui is better i'm, on windows 8 atm though works fineJigglyWiggly_

Well, if your spelling is this bad, then yeah, i can see how you'd never be able to search for anything using a keyboard.

But no, everything takes the same, if not less, than the number of clicks it did in Windows 7. Things are arranged differently.

I wonder what people like you do if you ever encounter a different OS. Do you give up in frustration because things arent exactly arranged as you remembered them?

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 funkyzoom

[QUOTE="funkyzoom"]

XaosII

Metro UI may be more efficient, but it still has a steep learning curve. This is is the reason why its mandatory to use Start8 in my office, to ensure that the company's productivity doesn't come down. WIth Metro, people actually need to more time figuring out the way of doing some work, than the time required to actually do that work.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 madrocketeer
Yeah, I can never let go of XP because there are a couple of software which work only on XP, and refuse to run on Windows 7 or Windows 8 even with compatibility settings applied.funkyzoom
That's okay. I've tried the compatibility modes; they're a hit and miss. Often, more work is required than that to get legacy software working. Might as well just run them on a legacy OS instead.
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 XaosII

Yeah, I can never let go of XP because there are a couple of software which work only on XP, and refuse to run on Windows 7 or Windows 8 even with compatibility settings applied.

funkyzoom

Why not consider virtualizing a Windows XP?

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 JigglyWiggly_

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]no it's not it's worse maybe if you have terribad mosuing, windows 8 ui is better i'm, on windows 8 atm though works fineXaosII

Well, if your spelling is this bad, then yeah, i can see how you'd never be able to search for anything using a keyboard.

But no, everything takes the same, if not less, than the number of clicks it did in Windows 7. Things are arranged differently.

I wonder what people like you do if you ever encounter a different OS. Do you give up in frustration because things arent exactly arranged as you remembered them?

lol no i type 140 wpm on general text and my mousing is a lot better than yours i use type for search for everything
madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 madrocketeer

XaosII
Also a very viable option. I forgot about that. Would also mean you won't have to leave your current OS either.
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 XaosII

lol no i type 140 wpm on general text and my mousing is a lot better than yours i use type for search for everythingJigglyWiggly_

140 WPM and you can't write an uppercase letter or a punctuation mark? And then brag about better "mousing"?

I thought this website says you have to be over the age of 13 to be a member?

So, do tell, how the same exact functionality between Vista, 7, and 8 happens to be slower than 8 when its the same?

Born_Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Born_Lucky
Member since 2003 • 1730 Posts
I can't believe there are still people trying to defend 8 It's basically an ugly , clunky , inefficient 7. Also . . if 8 is so fantastic, why is it failing to sell, why do almost 80% of those polled not like it, and why is Microsoft planning a MAJOR overhaul for it over the next year? You guys are trying to ride a dead horse - let it go.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 JigglyWiggly_

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"]lol no i type 140 wpm on general text and my mousing is a lot better than yours i use type for search for everythingXaosII

140 WPM and you can't write an uppercase letter or a punctuation mark? And then brag about better "mousing"?

I thought this website says you have to be over the age of 13 to be a member?

So, do tell, how the same exact functionality between Vista, 7, and 8 happens to be slower than 8 when its the same?

plsmen only gerberbabies would think windows 8 ui is faster
madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 madrocketeer

The only thing that is wrong with windows 8 at the moment is its desktop and layout like how to get to windows update and the start menu has gone. Ive just put windows 8 on tonight and not just saying that and just tried FarCry 3 which runs alot smoother imo. The Desk top and internet runs alot faster too. There is an update coming very soon which why i put it on called windows 8.1 or windows blue ive heard which i think is bringing back the start menu and other changes..

skipper847
Windows 8.1 will bring back the Start Button, but not the Start Menu. The Start Button will simply open the Start Screen.
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 XaosII

I can't believe there are still people trying to defend 8 It's basically an ugly , clunky , inefficient 7. Also . . if 8 is so fantastic, why is it failing to sell, why do almost 80% of those polled not like it, and why is Microsoft planning a MAJOR overhaul for it over the next year? You guys are trying to ride a dead horse - let it go.Born_Lucky

Why is PC gaming not as popular as console games? Why would anyone defend PC gaming, then?

Because many people have the incorrect perception about the platform. Bad perception isn't entirely the platform's fault. Its the same case with Windows 8. Its the same, if not better than Windows 7 in every single way - including its UI.

Windows 8.1 isn't a "major overhaul." To its UI, all its adding is that start button.... that takes you to the Metro UI. That start menu is gone, and good riddance. Theres nothing the start menu does better than metro does.

Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

I can't believe there are still people trying to defend 8

It's basically an ugly , clunky , inefficient 7.

Also . . if 8 is so fantastic, why is it failing to sell, why do almost 80% of those polled not like it, and why is Microsoft planning a MAJOR overhaul for it over the next year?

You guys are trying to ride a dead horse - let it go.Born_Lucky

It's a faster, prettier(subjective), more efficient Windows7

Appeal to popularity.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 JigglyWiggly_

[QUOTE="Born_Lucky"]I can't believe there are still people trying to defend 8 It's basically an ugly , clunky , inefficient 7. Also . . if 8 is so fantastic, why is it failing to sell, why do almost 80% of those polled not like it, and why is Microsoft planning a MAJOR overhaul for it over the next year? You guys are trying to ride a dead horse - let it go.XaosII

Why is PC gaming not as popular as console games? Why would anyone defend PC gaming, then?

Because many people have the incorrect perception about the platform. Bad perception isn't entirely the platform's fault. Its the same case with Windows 8. Its the same, if not better than Windows 7 in every single way - including its UI.

Windows 8.1 isn't a "major overhaul." To its UI, all its adding is that start button.... that takes you to the Metro UI. That start menu is gone, and good riddance. Theres nothing the start menu does better that metro does.

You can't overclock your mouse's polling rate in windows 8, that's anoyying. There's a lot of little things that are done wrong. But it's fine overall with start8.
HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 HyperWarlock
Member since 2011 • 3295 Posts

I've been using Windows 8 for about 6 months now. No problems so far, all the games I used to play on Win 7 work flawlessly on Win 8. It's pretty much the same OS with a few minor tweaks and a new start menu.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 XaosII

You can't overclock your mouse's polling rate in windows 8, that's anoyying.JigglyWiggly_

:roll:

What a dealbreaker.

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 funkyzoom

[QUOTE="XaosII"]

madrocketeer

Also a very viable option. I forgot about that. Would also mean you won't have to leave your current OS either.

Virtualization is not an option for me, because Windows XP running on a virtual machine cannot make use of my sound card and video card. Some of the legacy applications which I run are old games, so I really need to utilize my sound and video cards. I agree that GOG.com offers compatible versions of old games at very low prices, but somehow I can't bring myself to pay again for games which I already own.

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 funkyzoom

I can't believe there are still people trying to defend 8 It's basically an ugly , clunky , inefficient 7. Also . . if 8 is so fantastic, why is it failing to sell, why do almost 80% of those polled not like it, and why is Microsoft planning a MAJOR overhaul for it over the next year? You guys are trying to ride a dead horse - let it go.Born_Lucky

I'm not defending Windows 8. If you read my posts in this forum, you'll understand why its absolutely essential for me to use Windows 8. Its actually a necessity for me rather than a preference.

metroidfood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 metroidfood
Member since 2007 • 11175 Posts

XaosII

A lot of that stuff is something that is specific to certain hardware or I'll use maybe once every couple of years. The rest is pretty basic tune ups that aren't worth buying a new OS unless it comes with a new computer.

Plus I get to keep my Start button on 7.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 madrocketeer
Virtualization is not an option for me, because Windows XP running on a virtual machine cannot make use of my sound card and video card. Some of the legacy applications which I run are old games, so I really need to utilize my sound and video cards. I agree that GOG.com offers compatible versions of old games at very low prices, but somehow I can't bring myself to pay again for games which I already own.funkyzoom
Really? I'm sorry, I didn't know that. I was just throwing options around to try to help you. As I said, many older games still have active communities that write up guides and even re-work the games to run on modern OS environments. You could try searching them up for help.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 JigglyWiggly_

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"] You can't overclock your mouse's polling rate in windows 8, that's anoyying.XaosII

What a dealbreaker.

It is if you use a WMO/intelli mouse 1.1 I don't anymore, but a lot of people do.
funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 funkyzoom

[QUOTE="funkyzoom"]Virtualization is not an option for me, because Windows XP running on a virtual machine cannot make use of my sound card and video card. Some of the legacy applications which I run are old games, so I really need to utilize my sound and video cards. I agree that GOG.com offers compatible versions of old games at very low prices, but somehow I can't bring myself to pay again for games which I already own.madrocketeer
Really? I'm sorry, I didn't know that. I was just throwing options around to try to help you. As I said, many older games still have active communities that write up guides and even re-work the games to run on modern OS environments. You could try searching them up for help.

Come on, you don't have to apologize! You were only trying to help! I only use 64 bit versions of Windows 7 or Windows 8 because I have 8 GB of RAM. Although 32 bit applications work on 64 bit OS, 16 bit apps work only in 32 bit OS. The problem is that although most old games and software are 32 bit, their installers are 16 bit. Hence, these applications refuse to install on 64 bit OS. And obviously, its not possible to run any game or application without installing it first. This is the reason why I'm using a 32 bit Windows XP along with a more modern 64 bit OS.

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#37 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
Haven't got a problem with modern games with Windows 8 so far. Even most GoG games work fine with Windows 8. Only problems I have had is Conquest Frontier Wars and the oldest C&C games.
sleepingzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#38 sleepingzzz
Member since 2006 • 2263 Posts

[QUOTE="Arthas045"]There is not a single reason to upgrade to 8 other than its "new". XaosII

Every thing in that list even put together is not worth paying the price to upgrade to 8.  Faster boot time of a few seconds is not a big deal.  Battery life is ok if (and that's a big 'if' since you should be using a desktop to game) you have a laptop.  Still not worth upgrading even with a laptop.  Windows backup, software raid and anti-virus are better done by free software or built in hardware.  Win 8 task manager can be installed in windows 7.  Windows 7 does support drives greater than 2 TB, they just can't boot from them.  USB 3.0 can be installed.  Nothing ground breaking enough to push an upgrade.

Windows Metro on the other hand makes it worth it to downgrade.

jer_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39 jer_1
Member since 2003 • 7451 Posts

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"] You can't overclock your mouse's polling rate in windows 8, that's anoyying.XaosII

What a dealbreaker.

I can do it on my logitech with the software they provide.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

Runs pretty much exactly the same as W7, in regards to gaming.

Edit:

And honestly, I enjoy the new UI....

The start button was never the important one, it was the FOLDER BUTTON; which is still there.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 JigglyWiggly_

[QUOTE="XaosII"]

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"] You can't overclock your mouse's polling rate in windows 8, that's anoyying.jer_1

What a dealbreaker.

I can do it on my logitech with the software they provide.

That's because that has signed drivers.
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#42 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Windows 7 >> Windows 8 for gaming.

Have windwos 8 on a labtop that is around the house for random stuff, but for my desktop computer for games and audio editing I have windows 7.
Use what ever you MUST use. If you need windows 8 to develop games then use windows 8 or get a cheap labtop and put windwos 8 on it for your development.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#43 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

[QUOTE="Born_Lucky"]I can't believe there are still people trying to defend 8 It's basically an ugly , clunky , inefficient 7. Also . . if 8 is so fantastic, why is it failing to sell, why do almost 80% of those polled not like it, and why is Microsoft planning a MAJOR overhaul for it over the next year? You guys are trying to ride a dead horse - let it go.XaosII

Windows 8.1 isn't a "major overhaul." To its UI, all its adding is that start button.... that takes you to the Metro UI. That start menu is gone, and good riddance. Theres nothing the start menu does better than metro does.

Everyone has different opinion, I dont think its better than Windows 7 in every way at all. Have em both on dif systems and I much prefer windows 7 atm. That might change down the road, but as of now prefer W7 by a mile. Don't hate Windows 8, I think its good for things like phones, tablets,etc.. I just don't like it much for my uses.

kanoforcee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 kanoforcee
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="XaosII"]

[QUOTE="Born_Lucky"]I can't believe there are still people trying to defend 8 It's basically an ugly , clunky , inefficient 7. Also . . if 8 is so fantastic, why is it failing to sell, why do almost 80% of those polled not like it, and why is Microsoft planning a MAJOR overhaul for it over the next year? You guys are trying to ride a dead horse - let it go.kozzy1234

Everyone has different opinion, I dont think its better than Windows 7 in every way at all. Have em both on dif systems and I much prefer windows 7 atm. That might change down the road, but as of now prefer W7 by a mile. Don't hate Windows 8, I think its good for things like phones, tablets,etc.. I just don't like it much for my uses.

I agree with everything you wrote, same opinion here
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

Have windwos 8 on a labtop that is around the house for random stuff, but for my desktop computer for games and audio editing I have windows 7.
Use what ever you MUST use. If you need windows 8 to develop games then use windows 8 or get a cheap labtop and put windwos 8 on it for your development.

kozzy1234

More like Windows 7 = Windows 8 for gaming.

I've been gaming on it for 2 months now and no issues whatsoever. It's Win7 with improvement on the OS side (the games have basically the same performance).

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

You would be best using Windows 7 for gaming and general use.

Windows 8 is such a torture to use. Very confusing and you get lost easily.

funkyzoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 funkyzoom

[QUOTE="kozzy1234"]

FelipeInside

More like Windows 7 = Windows 8 for gaming.

I've been gaming on it for 2 months now and no issues whatsoever. It's Win7 with improvement on the OS side (the games have basically the same performance).

I installed Windows 8, and like you said, its exactly the same as Windows 7 in terms of performance, both for games and other applications. Of course, I'm using Start8 to bypass the horrid Metro UI and restore the start button, hence there are no benefits as well as no drawbacks while using Windows 8. It feels like I'm just using Windows 7. Most people say that boot time of Windows 8 is much lesser than Windows 7, but for me its exactly the same. Only improvement I'm noticing in Windows 8 is faster file transfer between different partitions of my hard disk.

SPBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#48 SPBoss
Member since 2009 • 3746 Posts
windows 8 sucks anyway lol
Inconsistancy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Inconsistancy
Member since 2004 • 8094 Posts

You would be best using Windows 7 for gaming and general use.

Windows 8 is such a torture to use. Very confusing and you get lost easily.

Cyberdot

How could you possibly find Win8 to be confusing?

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts

[QUOTE="XaosII"]

[QUOTE="Born_Lucky"]I can't believe there are still people trying to defend 8 It's basically an ugly , clunky , inefficient 7. Also . . if 8 is so fantastic, why is it failing to sell, why do almost 80% of those polled not like it, and why is Microsoft planning a MAJOR overhaul for it over the next year? You guys are trying to ride a dead horse - let it go.kozzy1234

Xaosll mentioned around 20 reasons why windows 8 is better, perhaps you can mention one to support why 7 is better than 8? honestly, i really like windows 8, i don't have it on my machine but i've used it on other people's. All the small things make a difference. as for metro UI, i think microsoft did awesome work on that. it's not only really good but it's also the way forward. the regular files/folders hierarchy of exploring computers should be dead by now, considering you can open every app, or file on your mobile with a quick search, why should you need a "desktop" and files and folders to do the same on your pc?