Will CRYSIS Beat console graphics?

• 50 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

c_doody_1999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 c_doody_1999
Member since 2005 • 533 Posts

Every few years as consoles are released their games look amazing and it takes the pc a few months to release a game that beats anything a console can chug out graphically.

will crysis be this game, will their be anything on ps3 or 360 that will look better than crysis can look? or will crysis be the re-gaining of the pcs graphical supremicy (consols graphical supremicy having lasted oh, all of 4 months)

A-S_FM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 A-S_FM
Member since 2004 • 2208 Posts

let's not decide if we think so or not

here is a quote:

Diemer was quoted as saying that "next generation consoles like the Xbox 360 and the PlayStation 3 do not offer the sufficient power" needed for some high-quality Crysis action. This news comes counter to the recent news that the Crytek team was looking for some PS3 worker bees for a possible Crysis port to the system.

joystiq

not that a quote is needed, the screenshots more than speak for themselves - it hardly comes as a surprise, the new consoles weren't as powerful as high end pcs at the time of release, and while the development teams are learning to squeeze juice of out the systems pretty quickly - it's nothing compared to what high end pcs will be capable of a year from now

that's how it's been for a long time, and while it seems like this time that won't happen, because of how powerful these consoles are - and because pcs had such a slow year in 2006 thanks to vista and dx10 and the new consoles launching, the question is - why not? we aren't anywhere near hitting the technology hardcap - console technology moves in slow, but large leaps - pc technology moves at a near-constant sprint

and the quote above speaks for itself - and it's not from squabbling fanboys in system wars, it's from a crytek spokesman - we'll eventually see a bastardised version of crysis, or something like it, on consoles - it's only a matter of time before developers have knowledge enough to squeeze out enough juice to put out crysis-like visuals - but by then we'll be on with some even better looking game... c'est la vie

gamerjerome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 gamerjerome
Member since 2006 • 437 Posts
Crysis is beyond what X-BOX360 and PS3 can do. I think those systems have the potential to make a good looking games but it to run crysis at full settings the consoles are not powerful enough. I have a 3.4GHz P4 with 2 GB Ram and the Geforce 7800 GS OS card "AGP"! and my Oblivion runs better than the PS3 or xbox version.
monco59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#4 monco59
Member since 2007 • 2473 Posts

Every few years as consoles are released their games look amazing and it takes the pc a few months to release a game that beats anything a console can chug out graphically.

will crysis be this game, will their be anything on ps3 or 360 that will look better than crysis can look? or will crysis be the re-gaining of the pcs graphical supremicy (consols graphical supremicy having lasted oh, all of 4 months)

c_doody_1999

Well it certainly looks so, don't you think? And even if Crysis won't do it, some other game down the line will. That's both the best part and worst part about PC gaming: Graphics will always evolve past consoles, but you have to keep investing some serious dough into your rig to experience that evolution. Personally though, I'd prefer if graphics would stop evolving for a while and developers would start focusing on gameplay and new ideas. 

c_doody_1999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 c_doody_1999

Wow, not quite next gen enough sony?

close but no cigar. 

i love the pc

gs_gear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 gs_gear
Member since 2006 • 3237 Posts
PC > consoles  because of DX 10, of course some will say DX 10 is only an API but DX 10 has SM 4.0
Chocobo1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Chocobo1212
Member since 2006 • 201 Posts
It might it might not.  With a console, everyone has the same graphics card.  With pc there are many different graphics cards.  So it mihgt beat them.  But then there is also a HDTV put into play for consoles, and a HD screen for computers.  So it is to hard to say.  But it looks amazing.
zbiggie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 zbiggie
Member since 2004 • 363 Posts

Crysis is beyond what X-BOX360 and PS3 can do. I think those systems have the potential to make a good looking games but it to run crysis at full settings the consoles are not powerful enough. I have a 3.4GHz P4 with 2 GB Ram and the Geforce 7800 GS OS card "AGP"! and my Oblivion runs better than the PS3 or xbox version.gamerjerome

agreed, we are already seeing games being re-released on pc with improved graphics ie Lost Planet 

Genexi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Genexi2
Member since 2005 • 3110 Posts

PC > consoles because of DX 10, of course some will say DX 10 is only an API but DX 10 has SM 4.0 gs_gear

You don't even need SM4.0 for next-gen graphics, it's all about the art direction behind the eye-candy effects, not generic crap with eye-candy on top of it......not to mention OpenGL can essentially do all the same as DX10 given the right extensions used.

Regarding PC graphics, only reason they lag behind imo is because developers are still creating games for the average gamer-rig, re: one that isn't quite as powerful as a 360/PS3, which is why it takes a couple years or so for PC rigs to become cheaper and more powerful before the average game developers bump the graphics up to respectable levels.

(excluding the rare team like Crytek who just love to make games that push your higher-end hardware)

WizengamotX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 WizengamotX
Member since 2003 • 4548 Posts
Lol is this a joke? PC beats console anyday. If you wanna talk about this more, then bring this to console wars because this is going to turn into one. You are postingin the PC Forum, bud.
SirSlippyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 SirSlippyz
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

The ignorance of people in this world always suprises me. You should have seen my jaw drop when i read this topic name.It isnt even debatable whether or not cryisis will look better than ANY 360 game, it is for sure. For people (like the topic poster) who dont understand why there is no competition, try doing this. LOOK and understand the difference between the system's hardware. crysis - designed with the 8800 series of Nvidia cards ; 360 - has a specially made version of a now 2nd or 3rd generation ATi card (i may be mistaken but i seem to remember at least 2 new lines of graphics cards coming out after the version that is in 360). So, graphically, modern PCs are always going to look better than 360 (its yet to be determined exactly what sony's graphics chip can do because it is esentially the first of its kind, a combination physics chip.)

So next time... please... PLEASE!!.... think!!!! before you say things without any research. Please?

winlonghorn06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 winlonghorn06
Member since 2005 • 77 Posts

[QUOTE="gs_gear"]PC > consoles because of DX 10, of course some will say DX 10 is only an API but DX 10 has SM 4.0 Genexi2

You don't even need SM4.0 for next-gen graphics, it's all about the art direction behind the eye-candy effects, not generic crap with eye-candy on top of it......not to mention OpenGL can essentially do all the same as DX10 given the right extensions used.

Regarding PC graphics, only reason they lag behind imo is because developers are still creating games for the average gamer-rig, re: one that isn't quite as powerful as a 360/PS3, which is why it takes a couple years or so for PC rigs to become cheaper and more powerful before the average game developers bump the graphics up to respectable levels.

(excluding the rare team like Crytek who just love to make games that push your higher-end hardware)

You are right! You don't really need them, but if you don't want to wait until next year for an intense scene to load you do! They help to optimize performance! That is the benefit of using directx 10! It has been completely revamped from directx 9! The whole pipeline was rewritten to efficiently handle graphics, audio, and controls! Just look on google and you will find that I am telling the truth! I am not trying to argue, but making a point! :)

winlonghorn06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 winlonghorn06
Member since 2005 • 77 Posts

The ignorance of people in this world always suprises me. You should have seen my jaw drop when i read this topic name.It isnt even debatable whether or not cryisis will look better than ANY 360 game, it is for sure. For people (like the topic poster) who dont understand why there is no competition, try doing this. LOOK and understand the difference between the system's hardware. crysis - designed with the 8800 series of Nvidia cards ; 360 - has a specially made version of a now 2nd or 3rd generation ATi card (i may be mistaken but i seem to remember at least 2 new lines of graphics cards coming out after the version that is in 360). So, graphically, modern PCs are always going to look better than 360 (its yet to be determined exactly what sony's graphics chip can do because it is esentially the first of its kind, a combination physics chip.)

So next time... please... PLEASE!!.... think!!!! before you say things without any research. Please?

SirSlippyz

I second that! :D

agturboninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#14 agturboninja
Member since 2006 • 670 Posts
PC always beats out consoles. When new consoles are released they come close but don't surpass. CRYSIS is superior then any game going to be released on console.
d12malu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 d12malu
Member since 2002 • 1023 Posts
[QUOTE="SirSlippyz"]

winlonghorn06

I second that! :D

Same here. Only reason I responded was b/c I couldn't believe the topic was real. Give you a short answer, You damn right it'll look better than anything consoles can do. With it all well documented on the internet and other publications, research just 3 min more and you would have found the answer yourself and save you the embarrassment.  

tribe81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 tribe81
Member since 2004 • 491 Posts
im a massive console gamer, but i think we both know NO console will be able to run crysis the tech demos are stunning and you must remember everytime a new console is launched 6 months down the track pc graphics look better then anything possible on a console... but on the other hand i hope you have been saving your cash as crysis is going to need a BEAST to run ...
killergt1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 killergt1
Member since 2003 • 55 Posts

I find the title of this thread kind of hilarious. It tends to have a goal in saying that PC's have a hard time keeping up with consoles, which is pretty much the OPPOSITE of the truth, it has the aroma of denial surrounding it.

First off, it's the consoles that struggle to keep up with games graphic wise... for every year there has been a game far more superior in graphics made for the PC, compared to the toned down counter-part for the console to handle.

Games that will continue the true word (Computers are superior to consoles when it comes to graphics):

Unreal Tournament 2007 (3) (Optimized Unreal Engine 3, rather than the toned down version of this engine for the PS 3 Gears of War, or is it XBOX 2?) The gears of wars graphics are just a small part of the pie compared to UT2k7.

And if Unreal Tournament 3 DOES come out for PS3, it will lack graphics in comparison to it's PC counter-part, however if it doesn't, it wll struggle to run certain parts of the game, also well knows as "jerking", something that is easily escaped for up to date PC's.

AND

Crysis

No console can compare to the graphics that these games will punch out. 

Genexi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Genexi2
Member since 2005 • 3110 Posts
[QUOTE="Genexi2"]

You are right! You don't really need them, but if you don't want to wait until next year for an intense scene to load you do! They help to optimize performance! That is the benefit of using directx 10! It has been completely revamped from directx 9! The whole pipeline was rewritten to efficiently handle graphics, audio, and controls! Just look on google and you will find that I am telling the truth! I am not trying to argue, but making a point! :)

winlonghorn06

The word "optimize" is overused, if a game isn't optimized in DirectX7,8,9, there's no way it'll be more optimized in DirectX10, all "optimize" means for developers is to get lazy on their code to get the job done quicker, even if it taxes your hardware a crap-load more than it should be... ...

monco59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 monco59

SirSlippyz

So far all we've seen from Sony is big words. I can quarantee you the PS3 will not be able to crank out anything close to what PCs will have at the end of the year, no console can. 

justin01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 justin01
Member since 2004 • 857 Posts
The answer is no, sorry.
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts
When Xbox 360 came out i heard alot of wows and ha's. Cod2, Prey,Oblivion Etc dont even come close to the PC versions . At the time when the 360 came out I had a geforce 6600 And seen the differences between the two big time the draw distances for the 360 was like 50 ft for high textures and after that they sucked for every game ive seen on it. Even on oblivion my 6600 had  effects that wernt on the 360's. Even thou it is a decent console It dont have the power to do what PC's can do. They have cut and trim and limit on effects for the 360 so it can even run, Like FEAR omg the xbox 360's was awful, And PS3's dont look as good ethier. Sure theres games that are only for the consoles and the same for PC But it would take a long time to port Crysis the consoles and if they do it would only be half compared to PC.
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17819 Posts

i think consoles are going to have games running on the crysis engine. neither crytek nor ea would spend millions developing this tech and only have it working on PCs. chances are devs will be able to get graphics very close to crysis. i mean whod of thought that re4 would be possible on a GC or SOTC possible on a PS2. consoles have a way of surprising people despite there old hardware imho.

however will they actually run crysis the game? i dont think so. the game itself will be to demanding on a system to have it running on a console. I thin kthey if they do get a crysis game it will be comparable to far cry PC vs far cry xbox.

Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

As a pc gamer for more than 20 years..Never has any console ever beat out a pc....What is happening how ever,is this

more an more companies like asceron if i spelled it right hehe...Who dumb down pc games...Made me almost want to smack the head of there company who made a statement like..The pc doesnt have the power to do what the 360 is...So where not putting kicking up grass in the pc version..They stated that not all pcs are dual core now...Made me look twice at that comment an want to get very angry...

Also what bethestha did with oblivion..Dumb down there game..Seams to me more an more developers are opting to make games for the 360 now...Here is my theeory as to why...Its cheaper for them to make a game on the 360...Not here pc gamers cry on why there are so many bugs..

Really look at it..Every stinking compnay now is making games for all consoles....Even Hellgate london will be on the 360..Which to me is really making the pc obsolete...Now before you mock me...Look at the facts...

Dont even think there are many compies really left devoting games solely for the pc...Maybe you can count them on your hands..When in the past we had at least 20 companies...Im afraid most of these companies in the end wil all go toward consoles..

Trust me i dont want this to happen..Im a long time fan of the pc..Plus i spent 2200 bucks on a new rocking pc gaming machine....

Peter_Darkstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Peter_Darkstar
Member since 2003 • 1091 Posts
I don't think the PS3 or Xbox 360's GPUs come anywhere close to being able to look the way it does on the PC. Although I wouldn't be surprised if they made a decent looking port of it.
gamerchris810

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 gamerchris810
Member since 2007 • 2372 Posts

seems like abit of a stupid question to me, think about it, how do the developers create video games?

they create them from computers it seems so stupid to even make a console, consoles are slowly evolving into..computers.you can go on the internet with the ps3 if im correct,an the 360 and the wii, pc's have had this for many years. whats the point in this. i really cant see it.

stealthrodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#26 stealthrodent
Member since 2003 • 1508 Posts

I have a 360 and a pretty good PC. Gears of war for 360 is wayyy beyond anything my computer could handle and my comp is decent (I run HL2 and source games maxed with hdr.) But after seeing Crysis screenshots and gameplay videos, It's going to blow the consoles away...for now. Although it seems you need a really good computer to run it, my computer is insufficent.

Computers will always be upgrading and new technology will keep being produced, so I believe computer gaming will always survive, as consoles will keep having to come out with new systems every 5 or so years. 

guylapierre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 guylapierre
Member since 2005 • 697 Posts
Huh? Current PC games are beyond anything I've seen on a console. I don't think we have to wait for Crysis.
Citan76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Citan76
Member since 2003 • 1178 Posts

will crysis be this game, will their be anything on ps3 or 360 that will look better than crysis can look? or will crysis be the re-gaining of the pcs graphical supremicy (consols graphical supremicy having lasted oh, all of 4 months)

c_doody_1999

lol, where do you get your information? PCs will always be more powerful then consoles because they are constantly evolving. PCs were far batter then consoles when the xbox360 came out on day one.

MicroM336

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MicroM336
Member since 2004 • 106 Posts
Crysis is the game to beat.
t3hTwinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 t3hTwinky
Member since 2005 • 3701 Posts
My favorite thing to do in situations like this is to bring up screens of Halo 2, then bring up screens of Half life 2 so I can have a hearty laugh as I compare them, as well as an excuse to hug my computer.
WizengamotX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 WizengamotX
It's not a question of will Crysis beat console graphics but a question of will consoles beat Crysis graphics. The answer is no.
rainierflu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 rainierflu
Member since 2006 • 207 Posts

I think that in the case of many games that are both console and pc...the pc is always better...for now.  As far as crysis, vista and directx 10, many in the pc community are going to take it in the wallet to play that game and many other upcoming titles due to O/S, video cards, cpus etc.etc....But such is the way of things these days....Upgrade or play old games until your eyes bleed..

thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
Crysis is the game to beat.MicroM336

Agreed.
WizengamotX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 WizengamotX
I'd like to see a horror rpg fps offa the crysis engine... Ohh yeahh *drools*
slateman_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 slateman_basic
Member since 2002 • 4142 Posts
The DX10 cards that are out now can beat 360 and PS3. Only a matter of the game now . . .
04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 04dcarraher

The DX10 cards that are out now can beat 360 and PS3. Only a matter of the game now . . .slateman_basic

Dx9 cards beat them now anyways,dont need dx10 cards to prove that they beat them.

Allan225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Allan225
Member since 2007 • 308 Posts
It will be better than the consoles that is if you have a good enough system to handle it.
monco59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 monco59
[QUOTE="c_doody_1999"]

will crysis be this game, will their be anything on ps3 or 360 that will look better than crysis can look? or will crysis be the re-gaining of the pcs graphical supremicy (consols graphical supremicy having lasted oh, all of 4 months)

Citan76

lol, where do you get your information? PCs will always be more powerful then consoles because they are constantly evolving. PCs were far batter then consoles when the xbox360 came out on day one.

Well that's not exactly true now is it? The thing is, everytime a new console generation rolls around, they have superior graphics for a while. After 4-6 months, the PCs have surpassed consoles considerably.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#39 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58310 Posts

In the word's of my dad (and sometimes my mom, to be honest)...

...does a bear s*** in the woods?

P.S.  The answer is "yes".

_Pedro_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 _Pedro_
Member since 2004 • 6829 Posts
[QUOTE="Citan76"][QUOTE="c_doody_1999"]

monco59

Well that's not exactly true now is it? The thing is, everytime a new console generation rolls around, they have superior graphics for a while. After 4-6 months, the PCs have surpassed consoles considerably.

True, the 360 was ahead of the competition. Not something you can say about the PS3. Which had an outdated Architexture from day one.  

Samulies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Samulies
Member since 2005 • 1658 Posts
Oblivion on the PC already looks better then the console ones do. Does that mean that consoles never actually had the crown?
c_doody_1999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 c_doody_1999

i was only asking a question, no need to have a go,

im purely pc, i know roughly what to expect from crysis, but iv never so much as seen a 360 operateing in the flesh let alone seen what GOW rely looks like.

reading some of thease posts upset me, if you dont want to answer the question contribute to the debate or say somthing usefull then please dont post atall.

we'ar all supposed to be going next gen together. GOW is acording to many the best looking game ever, i thort and still do, that no matter how much research i do the question is still relivant, given that

A: crysis has not been released yet, and the screens i can get hold of will do nothing to show me what the game will rely look like running at full tilt.

B: (i at least) find it hard to compare pc/console specs, especially as those machines are optimised or the purpose of playing games, iv always looked at them and been throughly suprised at what they can do given the hardware inside them.

i dont want this to turn in to system wars, tho i can feel it tetering on the edge, but i just wondered if the systems had it in them to pump out better than crysis, better looking games are always made for console as time goes by and devs learn how to optimise for that system better.

thanks to those who made usefull posts

adam0926

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 adam0926
Member since 2006 • 5064 Posts
isn't a 8800 more powerful than any xbox or ps3
tal_001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 tal_001
Member since 2006 • 305 Posts

if it will like like the photos or better then yes...

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 04dcarraher

isn't a 8800 more powerful than any xbox or ps3 adam0926

Man My old geforce 6600 had more and better gfx's than the 360 on prey and oblivion + fear a geforce 7's blows them away even more and the 8800 are true next gen gfx's aka overkill

JigglyWiggly2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 JigglyWiggly2
Member since 2007 • 320 Posts

Crysis is beyond what X-BOX360 and PS3 can do. I think those systems have the potential to make a good looking games but it to run crysis at full settings the consoles are not powerful enough. I have a 3.4GHz P4 with 2 GB Ram and the Geforce 7800 GS OS card "AGP"! and my Oblivion runs better than the PS3 or xbox version.gamerjerome

The 360 is alot more powerful than that... but not tougher than my system X-D 

d12malu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 d12malu
Member since 2002 • 1023 Posts

i was only asking a question, no need to have a go,

im purely pc, i know roughly what to expect from crysis, but iv never so much as seen a 360 operateing in the flesh let alone seen what GOW rely looks like.

reading some of thease posts upset me, if you dont want to answer the question contribute to the debate or say somthing usefull then please dont post atall.

we'ar all supposed to be going next gen together. GOW is acording to many the best looking game ever, i thort and still do, that no matter how much research i do the question is still relivant, given that

A: crysis has not been released yet, and the screens i can get hold of will do nothing to show me what the game will rely look like running at full tilt.

B: (i at least) find it hard to compare pc/console specs, especially as those machines are optimised or the purpose of playing games, iv always looked at them and been throughly suprised at what they can do given the hardware inside them.

i dont want this to turn in to system wars, tho i can feel it tetering on the edge, but i just wondered if the systems had it in them to pump out better than crysis, better looking games are always made for console as time goes by and devs learn how to optimise for that system better.

thanks to those who made usefull posts

c_doody_1999

Don't worry about getting grilled, message boards tend to make you develop thick skin. I guess better wording on the topic like, "Can Crysis be done on consoles?" When you say, "Can Crysis BEAT consoles" you make it seem like consoles are more powerful and it's the PC that is catching up. When in reality, the PC has always been the most powerful, that's one of the advantages of PC gaming. Sorry to overreact, I thought it was almost common sense that PCs have always been the best when it comes to performance.  

EntwineX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#48 EntwineX
Member since 2005 • 5858 Posts
Yes, I think eventually they can make Crysis on consoles which looks almost as good as the PC version. I have nothing to back up my claim, it's just a feeling I got. GoW already looks very nice and isn't PS3 supposed to me more powerfull? I'm not sure I'm not a console expert, but I would find it dissapointing if they couldn't handle it. There might be something like more frequent/longer loading times and lower framerates, but visuals I think they can do.
Avatar image for 100m-specialist
100m-specialist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 100m-specialist
Member since 2003 • 73 Posts

they can blow everyone away when Xbox 4 or something comes out, but a week later ATi or nVidia might have another line of graphics cards out. Now until consoles like xbox or playstation update again which could take years, PC will have the lead until then. Therefore, unless companies are willing to make consoles customizable/easy to upgrade like the PC, it will never surpass the PC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!