This topic is locked from further discussion.

3v3ntWh0r1z0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 3v3ntWh0r1z0n
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Hey guys, I've recently been an MMO-RPG player and have been looking for a new MMO, specifically themed as SCI-FI. Anybody tried this out yet?

http://www.gamespot.com/wildstar/

Just need comments on if it's worth the purchase.

SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 0

#4 SerOlmy
Member since 2003 • 2369 Posts

ROFL, nothing funnier than one guy talking to himself using two different burner accounts. Bravo, in the future you might want to make the time stamps on your posts not exactly the same time.

AfroPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 AfroPirate
Member since 2008 • 675 Posts

Eh I'm enjoying it. I give it a 7/10.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#6 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58987 Posts

How is this compared to Final Fantasy: Realm Reborn?

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@cmayuga13 said:

@3v3ntwh0r1z0n: I've seen this game and I must say, looking good. This is a breath of fresh air from all the WoW wannabe clone MMOs. Take the good elements (good pacing/impact of combat), dropping the bad (slogging grinds), and innovating with new but non-alienating ideas (the setting, the races, the class system).

.... the hell.... its the closest thing to a WoW clone content wise ... ever.

way over exagurating it.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

Is this spam or advertising I am confused...

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@cmayuga13 said:

@MBirdy88: Dunno about you, but I'm havin' a blast playing in this game, and my friends too. Maybe you should try it out too! :)

I have a level 50 engineer. the leveling was the worst experience I have had in years... like early WoW-Days without any of the extras like events to break it up... and the experience in dungeons was so bad it was not worth doing.

other than that... 2 daily zones and a ridiculous medal system that massivly cock blocks the only content people want to do in that game.. .RAID. I thought FFXIV:ARRs Pugs were bad... but in Wildstar "we can't get gold IM OUT" attitude is awful.

but but "teh hardcore attunement weeds out the noobs" ... when there is barely anything else to do at 50 why punish your playerbase so harshly with that ridiculous attunement.

Housing was impressive... and combat... but sadly... nothing else.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#11  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

I only played up to about level 20 with a Guardian in FF XIV before I got bored. I played right before the big housing patch and subsequent content. I couldn't find ways of leveling, I had just run out of quests. I did enjoy XIV but I was having a hard time progressing and at the time it was really feature thin so I wasn't to keen on hitting higher levels.

Wildstar is setup extremely similarly to your average WoW/Everquest like MMO. Zones split up into levels, forward progression with the quests, adventures (big 5-man zone wide instances), dungeons, and raids are the primary content. The lore and world of Wildstar is fully fleshed out but extremely cookie cutter and not particularly interesting. I like XIV's world and lore better even if the zones and areas of Wildstar are larger and more diverse.

Combat is where Wildstar really sets itself apart. It's 100% real time and does not rely on targeting. All of your attacks, heals, buffs, and debuffs are projected in the form of telegraphs. Your target or targets must be within that telegraph on the ground. The majority of enemy's attacks are telegraphed too so you must move and dodge them. It's a very active system. It utilizes a limited action set so you only have up to 8 abilities at once with the ability to swap between two sets at any given time.

Wildstar is much more focused on the "hardcore" players who sink a lot of time into MMOs. The game has a very deep and and complex character progression system and some of the most intense crafting I've ever seen. You need to devote a lot of time into figuring out which sets of skills to invest into and which passive abilities to pair them with. There is a lot of room to hang yourself so you can easily build a really crappy build and suck in battle. The game doesn't hold your hand.

I think it's a better game than XIV, at least I'm having more fun with it. It's more focused and a larger time sink if you really want to get into it. Difficulty wise it's probably the hardest MMO to be released in a decade. Even normal mobs can give players some trouble. Pretty relentless.

Only thing is you can't really play Wildstar casually. It's very demanding. The adventures, dungeons, and raids (up to 40 man) are extremely difficult even on the normal difficulty (they have a heroic/end game difficulty for max level players and guilds). The PvP is kind of broken right now. The game's focus is clearly on PvE.

It's a pretty different game than XIV A Realm Reborn. If you're having a lot of fun there I don't know if it would be worth your time to leave and go play Wildstar. Wildstar is great for what it does though.

CuddlyOwlBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 CuddlyOwlBear

I'm into WildStar, too. Combat is awesome, and the housing feature, as mentioned most of the time, is actually great.

3v3ntWh0r1z0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 3v3ntWh0r1z0n

Thanks for the feedback, and I did not expect my post to seem like spam / advertising, hahaha...

I did go through the review page's videos of WildStar and just wanted to get the tips from the MMO Pro's and GameSpot's resident experts. Glad I got Wasdie's feedback here, too. It being a demanding MMO? Question is, as demanding as it is, especially on the grind level, is the effort worth it?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By uninspiredcup

Thank you Wasdie (although why you deleted your massive post I have no idea).

Even casual MMO's take up such a huge amount of time that juggling between them requires fairly ridiculous amounts of investment.

Edit: You didn't for some reason the posting order is all fucked up.

NeoGen85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 NeoGen85
Member since 2003 • 4270 Posts

Wildstar is definitely a hardcore MMORPG in comparison to some others. Wildstar's combat system makes the players "very" involved in the action. That's more apparent when you begin to do dungeons and raids which will have your hand hurting by the time you're done with.

namisalced0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 namisalced0

As far as I'm concerned, Wildstar is refreshing and for me, that's an entirely better game already. IDK about you but there's a whole lot more customization for me, not to mention having my own goddamned house. Also, when did it ever happen, that there was an MMO that was meant for casual gaming? U-huh, never. All MMOs require a lot of time to be even a little bit interesting and worthwhile. Wasdie is right about the PVE thing tho, since I don't like PvP even on an MMO (it was stressful in WoW but IDC).

@3v3ntWh0r1z0n Yes it's demanding as hell. The best thing is if you grind coins, you can buy CREDDs and use it to fund your gametime. The game pays for itself so those anti-subs can go suck their dicks. I would rather this than illegal WoW goldfarming.

CarbineMess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 CarbineMess

@NeoGen85 said:

Wildstar is definitely a hardcore MMORPG in comparison to some others. Wildstar's combat system makes the players "very" involved in the action. That's more apparent when you begin to do dungeons and raids which will have your hand hurting by the time you're done with.

you mean "involved" since the action is like an FPS, yeah? not just point-and-click combat?

NeoGen85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 NeoGen85
Member since 2003 • 4270 Posts

@carbinemess said:

@NeoGen85 said:

you mean "involved" since the action is like an FPS, yeah? not just point-and-click combat?

. . .

Wildstar's combat is loosely based off of a tab-targetting system but it feels like live-action combat. For instance, if you have an ability that executes 4 attacks in a row, you much click the ability 4 times in order to complete the combo. In other MMORPGs you could just click the ability once on your hot bar and watch the animation execute those 4 moves. And interrupting enemies during their special attacks plays a very important role in combat. But what makes you more involved in the action is the telegraph system which helps you determine where you should not be when a enemy begins to move his weight around. With world, dungeon, and raid bosses the difficulty of the game is turned up a notch. With that said, the telegraphs become increasingly difficult to stay out of especially for new players. As you progress through the game they get more complex.

I've met plenty of people who love Wildstar but simply can't keep up with the later difficulty because they lack the twitch reflexes seen in other genres that are more action-oriented. After completing my first Stormtalon run with guildmates, ours hands were cramping. One of my gamer buddies still plays and he was in a guild which seemed to be geared for casual play. As they started doing the veteran rank dungeons at end-game he told me it became even more obvious who was working hard at Wildstar and who wasn't. If you're a hardcore raider this game is definitely up your alley.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

The same person talking to his multiple acc who ALL agree the game is a second coming. LOL. Don't see many of these on GS.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

The same person talking to his multiple acc who ALL agree the game is a second coming. LOL. Don't see many of these on GS. Next time don't create all your acc on the same day, dummy.

Sp33d5t3rNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Sp33d5t3rNow

@NeoGen85: Dude, thanks for all the info. I just needed great opinion based on experience, and you've definitely been a big help. I am definitely going to give this a try. Also found out that they're giving trial keys at their site.

Thanks to the OP for starting this, too.

@AfroPirate said:

7/10 means it's good, yeah? I mean, it's a pass?

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 cyloninside
Member since 2014 • 815 Posts

@sp33d5t3rnow said:

@NeoGen85: Dude, thanks for all the info. I just needed great opinion based on experience, and you've definitely been a big help. I am definitely going to give this a try. Also found out that they're giving trial keys at their site.

Thanks to the OP for starting this, too.

@AfroPirate said:

7/10 means it's good, yeah? I mean, it's a pass?

metacritic average is 81.... for an MMO that is hella good.

the game is fun. dont worry about it.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

@Wasdie said:

3v3ntWh0r1z0n marked this as the best answer

@uninspiredcup said:

I only played up to about level 20 with a Guardian in FF XIV before I got bored. I played right before the big housing patch and subsequent content. I couldn't find ways of leveling, I had just run out of quests. I did enjoy XIV but I was having a hard time progressing and at the time it was really feature thin so I wasn't to keen on hitting higher levels.

Wildstar is setup extremely similarly to your average WoW/Everquest like MMO. Zones split up into levels, forward progression with the quests, adventures (big 5-man zone wide instances), dungeons, and raids are the primary content. The lore and world of Wildstar is fully fleshed out but extremely cookie cutter and not particularly interesting. I like XIV's world and lore better even if the zones and areas of Wildstar are larger and more diverse.

Combat is where Wildstar really sets itself apart. It's 100% real time and does not rely on targeting. All of your attacks, heals, buffs, and debuffs are projected in the form of telegraphs. Your target or targets must be within that telegraph on the ground. The majority of enemy's attacks are telegraphed too so you must move and dodge them. It's a very active system. It utilizes a limited action set so you only have up to 8 abilities at once with the ability to swap between two sets at any given time.

Wildstar is much more focused on the "hardcore" players who sink a lot of time into MMOs. The game has a very deep and and complex character progression system and some of the most intense crafting I've ever seen. You need to devote a lot of time into figuring out which sets of skills to invest into and which passive abilities to pair them with. There is a lot of room to hang yourself so you can easily build a really crappy build and suck in battle. The game doesn't hold your hand.

I think it's a better game than XIV, at least I'm having more fun with it. It's more focused and a larger time sink if you really want to get into it. Difficulty wise it's probably the hardest MMO to be released in a decade. Even normal mobs can give players some trouble. Pretty relentless.

Only thing is you can't really play Wildstar casually. It's very demanding. The adventures, dungeons, and raids (up to 40 man) are extremely difficult even on the normal difficulty (they have a heroic/end game difficulty for max level players and guilds). The PvP is kind of broken right now. The game's focus is clearly on PvE.

It's a pretty different game than XIV A Realm Reborn. If you're having a lot of fun there I don't know if it would be worth your time to leave and go play Wildstar. Wildstar is great for what it does though.

I find it weird that you said FFXIV was feature thin even at that time when you only hit lvl 20.

Most of the content in FFXIV is end game so that is probably why it seemed feature thin to you.

I haven't played FFXIV in about two months but that is because MMOs are time consuming and I wanted to spend that time on something else.

My big pet peeve with FFXIV is the new updates making the game way to easy to get the best gear.

It used to be that in order to get lvl 110 gear you would have to do second tier Coil runs which are pretty hard and require a lot of teamwork.

Now everyone can easily get the gear by grinding out Elite Hunts without any challenge.

Elite Hunts have made everything else pointless.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By uninspiredcup

@RyviusARC said:

@Wasdie said:

3v3ntWh0r1z0n marked this as the best answer

@uninspiredcup said:

I find it weird that you said FFXIV was feature thin even at that time when you only hit lvl 20.

Most of the content in FFXIV is end game so that is probably why it seemed feature thin to you.

I haven't played FFXIV in about two months but that is because MMOs are time consuming and I wanted to spend that time on something else.

My big pet peeve with FFXIV is the new updates making the game way to easy to get the best gear.

It used to be that in order to get lvl 110 gear you would have to do second tier Coil runs which are pretty hard and require a lot of teamwork.

Now everyone can easily get the gear by grinding out Elite Hunts without any challenge.

Personally I don't give a shit about gear. Once you get it, then what? Some people understandability find achievement in it, to me it's not really an achievement. For me it's just the the experience of playing with other players. I was (I haven't played it in a while due to Divinity and Darksouls 2) only level 40 and felt I was inundated with shit to do compared to other MMO's. With instant jump to group games, which saves alot of fucking about, one of the things I hate about MMO's.

sophiebr23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By sophiebr23

Where do I download this? Sorry I'm new here. Saw the review.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#30 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

@RyviusARC said:

Well it was thin on leveling content. I was running day quests and whatnot just to level and that was annoying. I also looked forward and at the time (again, this was very shortly after launch), there wasn't any worth while PvE, very few dungeons, and like only one small raid, so there was very little to work forward too.

I decided that if I wanted a lot of end game to work for that I should just go back to leveling my WoW character which was level 45ish at the time. I know that FFXIV has a lot more content now and I may go back to it at one point, but I'm playing Wildstar now.

sophiebr23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 sophiebr23

@mdrilon222: thank you so much! Getting tired of playing WoW already. Got nothing to do anymore with my pandaren. *sigh* I hope Wildstar will be better!

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

I'm also having a lot of fun in Wildstar...playing a warrior at the moment.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@bastibastimau said:

had fun with Wildstar, trying something new at the moment, Firefall, any of you guys tried it out? Thoughts?

Every review and opinions of people who played it said it was great when the first beta launched.... but now 2 years down the track they have changed and removed so much stuff that it's basically a long grind to nowhere...