Why is Counter Strike Source so popular?

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Gustofwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 Gustofwind
Member since 2006 • 959 Posts

I bought the game when it was on sale to see what all the fuss was about

what I played was an extremely outdated FPS with broken hit boxes. Why

is this game so popular, am I missing something?

CUDGEdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 CUDGEdave
Member since 2010 • 2597 Posts

Because it requires no brain power,No strategy,It's a great game for the non thinker.

Gustofwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Gustofwind

Because it requires no brain power,No strategy,It's a great game for the non thinker.

CUDGEdave
It still doesn't make much sense as to why it's often the most played game on steam. I would have thought there were better options available to those who want what you described, yet CSS is still massively popular.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f0340ca5ecca
deactivated-5f0340ca5ecca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 deactivated-5f0340ca5ecca
Member since 2005 • 1890 Posts
Cause it's all skill.
Silicel1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Silicel1
Member since 2005 • 2342 Posts

I bought the game when it was on sale to see what all the fuss was about

what I played was an extremely outdated FPS with broken hit boxes. Why

is this game so popular, am I missing something?

Gustofwind
Broken hit boxes my ass, you sir lack skillz. It is the starcraft 2 of competitive FPS gaming.
HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 HyperWarlock
Member since 2011 • 3295 Posts

Cause it's all skill.dannenissan2

Lol.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19574 Posts

It's one of the most popular games on Steam because nothing has surpassed it at what it does.

More recent modern shooters tend to be more gimmicky (perks, unlocks, killstreak rewards, etc), more arcadey (regenerating health, near-instant respawns), or generally just less stable or skill-focused...while Counter-Strike is still pretty much the number one team-based, balanced, skill-focused shooter. It's fast-paced, has smooth controls, and has one of the most competitive gaming communities around.

I don't even like playing the game anymore, but I'd still call it one of the best-designed multiplayer games.

tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

CUDGEdave

I'm a non-thinker and I approve this message.

Just-Breathe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Just-Breathe
Member since 2011 • 3130 Posts
It actually requires skill to play, and has an emphasis on teamwork.
Gustofwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Gustofwind

How important is stealth in this game, I might actually give this game another chance.

Silicel1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Silicel1

How important is stealth in this game, I might actually give this game another chance.

Gustofwind
Good luck with stealth.
Dennislol123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Dennislol123
Member since 2010 • 184 Posts

CUDGEdave

Congratulations on admitting your stupidity publicly. I'm hoping that you're trolling.

Gustofwind

Stealth? How can you know so little about CS? Jesus man, how hard is it to look up gameplay videos... this is not Deus Ex, you know. Positioning is extremely important, but there is no stealth aspect (unless you count moving slowly to avoid the enemy hearing your footsteps as proper stealth).

Gustofwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Gustofwind

[QUOTE="CUDGEdave"]

Dennislol123

Congratulations on admitting your stupidity publicly. I'm hoping that you're trolling.

Gustofwind

Stealth? How can you know so little about CS? Jesus man, how hard is it to look up gameplay videos... this is not Deus Ex, you know. Positioning is extremely important, but there is no stealth aspect (unless you count moving slowly to avoid the enemy hearing your footsteps as proper stealth).

There is no stealth aspect unless you count stealth. What.
Dennislol123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Dennislol123

[QUOTE="Dennislol123"]

[QUOTE="CUDGEdave"]

[QUOTE="Gustofwind"]

Gustofwind

Alternating between walking slowly and running is hardly stealth, now is it? I guess that was extremely hard to understand

Gustofwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Gustofwind

[QUOTE="Gustofwind"][QUOTE="Dennislol123"]

Dennislol123

Alternating between walking slowly and running is hardly stealth, now is it? I guess that was extremely hard to understand

What would you call it then? Being ______?
Dennislol123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Dennislol123

[QUOTE="Dennislol123"]

[QUOTE="Gustofwind"] There is no stealth aspect unless you count stealth. What.Gustofwind

So every single game in which you can either walk or run is a stealth game, then?

Gustofwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Gustofwind

[QUOTE="Gustofwind"][QUOTE="Dennislol123"]

Dennislol123

So every single game in which you can either walk or run is a stealth game, then?

I don't recall saying it was a stealth game, perhaps you should reread my post.
CUDGEdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 CUDGEdave
Member since 2010 • 2597 Posts

[QUOTE="CUDGEdave"]

Dennislol123

Give it a rest mate,The game is for the thicko,It's a simple shooter that requires no skill what so ever.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
Member since 2009 • 7779 Posts

Because it can be played on pretty much any pc.

chaoz-king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 chaoz-king
Member since 2005 • 5956 Posts

Probably the only FPS these days that takes skill to be good at. Anyone who says it doesn't is probably bad at it.

Gustofwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Gustofwind

Probably the only FPS these days that takes skill to be good at. Anyone who says it doesn't is probably bad at it.

chaoz-king

The Quake and Unreal Tournament series would like a word with you.

Silicel1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Silicel1

[QUOTE="chaoz-king"]

Gustofwind

The Quake and Unreal Tournament series would like a word with you.

Where is wiggly when you need him :(
Gustofwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Gustofwind

I just played for about 20 minutes and I can appreciate that the shooting mechanics are much better than spray and pray games like CoD, it reminds

me a lot of a less laggy Rainbow Six, minus the cool gadgets.

I think the first time I played it I must have stumbled into a high ping server and not realised. It definitelly felt much smoother just.

Is there some kind of trick to identifying who is friend and who's foe? It takes a while for the red writing to appear when you target someone which

isn't exactly practical when the person could start shooting at you lol.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#25 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
People love to be tested by it and the amount of precision required. After 20 hrs and little improvement I couldn't see much point in playing it. Its dominated by people who have been playing it since the very first one came out.
Silicel1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Silicel1

I just played for about 20 minutes and I can appreciate that the shooting mechanics are much better than spray and pray games like CoD, it reminds

me a lot of a less laggy Rainbow Six, minus the cool gadgets.

I think the first time I played it I must have stumbled into a high ping server and not realised. It definitelly felt much smoother just.

Is there some kind of trick to identifying who is friend and who's foe? It takes a while for the red writing to appear when you target someone which

isn't exactly practical when the person could start shooting at you lol.

Gustofwind
You look at him and yu see that its foe, you must be aware where you teammates are.
jedikevin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#27 jedikevin2
Member since 2004 • 5263 Posts

Its a game where both casual and more professional like can sit back and play a game to there liking. A game where precision is key. Where non sniper rifles can one shot kill is common if perfected how to shoot the head and running /walking is as essential as listening to peoples footsteps. Many maps are designed to demonstrate some type of teamwork to be sucessful (not always required but goes a long way). Thats more on the casual pub play. On the 5v5 semi professional gameplay, teamwork is key, weapon knowledge, use of walking is essential and a balance act between weapons adds a whole other dynamic. Let us not forget valve steadly updates the game even now.

They even had the game redone 2 years ago so that it utilizes multicore processors, had things fixed such as smoke grenades, and still fix the bugs and exploits that people find. Its a game style that no other game lately has done. To many games these days are run and gun where there is no reason to actually aim at targets or even shoot appropriate shots. I play Cods and newer Battlefields and i'm always amazed how I can shoot someone in the head point blank and its as if nothing happened unless its a sniper rifle or that its always run around with head cut off spraying and hitting peoples legs. (happens on css offcourse but there are crunch times where slow quiet gameplay with a silenced weapon is key to success.) There are so many good things about the game and is probably why people still enjoy playing it and even traditional cs. The game mechanics and style is just unmatched for its type of fps shooter.

ArchonOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#28 ArchonOver
Member since 2010 • 1103 Posts

Its a game where both casual and more professional like can sit back and play a game to there liking. A game where precision is key. Where non sniper rifles can one shot kill is common if perfected how to shoot the head and running /walking is as essential as listening to peoples footsteps. Many maps are designed to demonstrate some type of teamwork to be sucessful (not always required but goes a long way). Thats more on the casual pub play. On the 5v5 semi professional gameplay, teamwork is key, weapon knowledge, use of walking is essential and a balance act between weapons adds a whole other dynamic. Let us not forget valve steadly updates the game even now.

They even had the game redone 2 years ago so that it utilizes multicore processors, had things fixed such as smoke grenades, and still fix the bugs and exploits that people find. Its a game style that no other game lately has done. To many games these days are run and gun where there is no reason to actually aim at targets or even shoot appropriate shots. I play Cods and newer Battlefields and i'm always amazed how I can shoot someone in the head point blank and its as if nothing happened unless its a sniper rifle or that its always run around with head cut off spraying and hitting peoples legs. (happens on css offcourse but there are crunch times where slow quiet gameplay with a silenced weapon is key to success.) There are so many good things about the game and is probably why people still enjoy playing it and even traditional cs. The game mechanics and style is just unmatched for its type of fps shooter.

jedikevin2
QFT
MEOWWW123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 MEOWWW123
Member since 2008 • 870 Posts

Jedikevin just won this thread

kathato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 kathato
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
Because it requires not online fast fingers but also good tactical and stratigy know how...
alan_carter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 alan_carter
Member since 2009 • 1404 Posts

Jedikevin just won this thread

MEOWWW123
Yea. Who read it?
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

I likey, nothing like watching whole team die and then like 15 specs on you and they all watch you beat a 6v1 which happens all the tiem for me cause I am 1337. PUB HERO AWARD

Oh and it is all skill, and it ofc uses stealth since I have headphones and ofc like most people can hear everything, so you must choose your positiooning wisely before you unshift. I just wish by default the game took demos of everything so I cud showoff moar, QL does though.

Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

My guess would be because people like sniper rifles.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 JigglyWiggly_

Masculus
Gross, it's all about p90 spray, ak47 controlled spray, and m4 controlled spray. Also crouch spraying with ak47 but knowing where to actually point crosshair (bottom left foot)
alan_carter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 alan_carter
[QUOTE="Masculus"]

JigglyWiggly_
Gross, it's all about p90 spray, ak47 controlled spray, and m4 controlled spray. Also crouch spraying with ak47 but knowing where to actually point crosshair (bottom left foot)

Are you serious? It's evrything about blazin all the way with p90s and spray n pray with m4 and ak.. controlled spray.. hah! where are u livin
Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#36 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
I have always recognized Counter-Strike as a precision-shooter game. Where accuracy and precise aiming counts for everything.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 JigglyWiggly_
[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"][QUOTE="Masculus"]

alan_carter

Are you serious? It's evrything about blazin all the way with p90s and spray n pray with m4 and ak.. controlled spray.. hah! where are u livin

o ur rite
CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#38 CaptainAhab13
Member since 2010 • 5121 Posts
-Emphasis on teamwork -Very competitive (still very, very popular) -Tens of thousands online at any given time -Simplistic gameplay (unlike, say, Quake or whatnot) -Valve/Steam -"Sequel" to one of the most popular shooters ever made -Can run on just about any computer these days (if it runs perfectly on mine, trust me, it'll run on yours) Those are what come to mind off the top of my head.
CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 CaptainAhab13

jedikevin2
/thread
SPYDER0416

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#40 SPYDER0416
Member since 2008 • 16736 Posts

Its popular for several reasons

- Large, continuing community

- ALL skill, no equpiment buffs or perks or levels. Just you, your gun, and your aiming, all influencing your score which influences the kind of guns you get (also armor and some nades)

- Teamwork focus, but without a big class focus

- Incredibly polished and still treated with love by the community

CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 CaptainAhab13
I think the question is... will CSS remain very popular after CSGO comes out?
jedikevin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#42 jedikevin2
Member since 2004 • 5263 Posts
Countestrike (original), outpaces counterstrike source so.... no reason it still won't be popular.
MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

I think the question is... will CSS remain very popular after CSGO comes out?CaptainAhab13

I was very underwhelemed by the CSGO demos.. so yes.

Isn't CS 1.6 still going strong even with Source out? I think that's an indicator Source will continue as well.

CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 CaptainAhab13

[QUOTE="CaptainAhab13"]I think the question is... will CSS remain very popular after CSGO comes out?MLBknights58

Isn't CS 1.6 still going strong even with Source out? I think that's an indicator Source will continue as well.

Yeah, these are my thoughts as well. All my CS friends say it looks like a piece of crap. :| I can't judge it, I've only put 100 hours or so into CSS, and counting. ;)
alan_carter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 alan_carter
Countestrike (original), outpaces counterstrike source so.... no reason it still won't be popular. jedikevin2
No, no no and no. It's only that 1.6 community is so stubborn that they reject any new game, or anything that it's not cs 1.6. "1.6 rulezz new games are for noobs"
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
[QUOTE="MLBknights58"]

[QUOTE="CaptainAhab13"]I think the question is... will CSS remain very popular after CSGO comes out?CaptainAhab13

Yeah, these are my thoughts as well. All my CS friends say it looks like a piece of crap. :| I can't judge it, I've only put 100 hours or so into CSS, and counting. ;)

I think CSGO will probably get some people from the COD crowd, but the 5V5 matches turns me off immediately. I'm sure there will be server controls to adjust that, but as of right now it doesn't look like it does enough to warrant yet another counterstrike purchase from me.
klusps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#47 klusps
Member since 2005 • 10386 Posts

-The game play is simplistic enough for anybody to get into but it is hard to master

-Really active community

-Many mods

-pretty much any computer can run it

alan_carter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 alan_carter

-The game play is simplistic enough for anybody to get into but it is hard to master

-Really active community

-Many mods

klusps
Mods, what kind of mods? skins and that? they suck. Cs go is a mix of cheap ideas, such as molotovs and ugly fancy weapons. The only attractive thing is the cross-platform thing.
JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 JigglyWiggly_
Countestrike (original), outpaces counterstrike source so.... no reason it still won't be popular. jedikevin2
I like source moar, but that's just me. And cs 1.6 is dead, yet they still have tournaments for it which confuses me.
klusps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#50 klusps
Member since 2005 • 10386 Posts

[QUOTE="klusps"]

-Really active community

-Many mods

alan_carter

Mods, what kind of mods? skins and that? they suck. Cs go is a mix of cheap ideas, such as molotovs and ugly fancy weapons. The only attractive thing is the cross-platform thing.

Sure there are skins but there are entire game modes develop by the community like gun game, zombie escape, zombie panic, jailbreak, minigames(like surfing, platforming, puzzles,) fun stuff like that.