Who is your fav RTS dev?

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

User Lists: 0

#51 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10591 Posts
Half of what you do is done automatically by the computer because of the size, and base building is extremely limited, for me that makes it less of an RTS and more of an RTT, but since it's neither their genre name works best 4x space RTS, it doesn't even have any competition there :P of course it's the best, only one that would qualify is Homeworld 2 but that one is a real RTS.DanielDust
The Total War series have auto-manage cities options, and has a TBS element to boot, yet you don't seem to have a problem with those games being discussed in this thread. The Ground Control series and World in Conflict have zero base building, yet you clearly stated in your most recent reply that they are indeed RTSs. If those games can be considered RTSs, then Sins of a Solar Empire should be considered as an RTS too.
Shadowhawk000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 Shadowhawk000
Member since 2007 • 3453 Posts
Creative assembly, would be Relic but they ruined Company of Heroes..
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

[QUOTE="DanielDust"]Half of what you do is done automatically by the computer because of the size, and base building is extremely limited, for me that makes it less of an RTS and more of an RTT, but since it's neither their genre name works best 4x space RTS, it doesn't even have any competition there :P of course it's the best, only one that would qualify is Homeworld 2 but that one is a real RTS.madrocketeer
The Total War series have auto-manage cities options, and has a TBS element to boot, yet you don't seem to have a problem with those games being discussed in this thread. The Ground Control series and World in Conflict have zero base building, yet you clearly stated in your most recent reply that they are indeed RTSs. If those games can be considered RTSs, then Sins of a Solar Empire should be considered as an RTS too.

I never said anything about them being RTSs (except ME, I did say that they should make more RTSs but they don't have any :P), I just said something for every developer. SoaSE is good but you can't call it the best RTS when it isn't exactly one, GC and WiC are RTTs and the TW series is half battle simulator/RTT and half TBS.

From that poll only Blizzard, Relic and GPG qualify strictly for the term RTS.

James00715

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54 James00715
Member since 2003 • 2484 Posts

I have to go with the big three of the 90s: Westwood Studios, Ensemble Studios, Blizzard. Since the first two are gone now (effectively), it's just Blizzard. I like base building, but most newer RTS's are removing that. I feel like a big part of the game is missing. Those games are still really fun, just not great in my eyes.

Mograine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Mograine
Member since 2006 • 3666 Posts

I have to go with the big three of the 90s: Westwood Studios, Ensemble Studios, Blizzard. Since the first two are gone now (effectively), it's just Blizzard. I like base building, but most newer RTS's are removing that. I feel like a big part of the game is missing. Those games are still really fun, just not great in my eyes.

James00715

QFT.

I'd take Blizzard's "lack of innovation" anyday over the "innovative" aberrations other RTS devs spawned with games such as C&C4 and DoW2.

Homeworld is one of my most treasured games, so I'd have to pick Relic. That being said, RA2 beings Westwood to a very close second.G013M

Omg, is that a typo I see there:o ?

omenodebander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 omenodebander
Member since 2004 • 1401 Posts

this "An rts must have base building" nonsense is stupid. Base building is not a core component and it does not define an rts.

ThPinkElephant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 ThPinkElephant
Member since 2010 • 35 Posts
Blizzard just has that really good cartoonish feeling that i looks for alot of the time ^^
Swedish_Chef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Swedish_Chef
Member since 2003 • 623 Posts

Edit: Oh, just RTS and not turn based, hmm... Ensemble I guess. The Age of Empires series is pretty great

Richyd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Richyd13
Member since 2006 • 313 Posts

Ensemble!

why microsoft why!!! :(

MythPro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#60 MythPro1
Member since 2003 • 2746 Posts

Mine goes to Bungie for Myth: The Fallen Lords and Cavedog for Total Annihilation.

Mograine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Mograine

this "An rts must have base building" nonsense is stupid. Base building is not a core component and it does not define an rts.

omenodebander

So?

Nobody said it defined an RTS - just that lack of it is a huge minus for the game.

omenodebander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 omenodebander

^

No it's not a huge minus. Some games need it, others don't. If the core gameplay system needs it then yes, BUT FOR GAMES LIKE Dow 2 and ground control and the Myth series, base building will only hinder them. My point is , it (base building) works for some and not for others. Personally I don't miss base building , imo it is a dated and extremely repetitive system.

on topic again

Relic

Mograine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Mograine

No it's not a huge minus. Some games need it, others don't. If the core gameplay system needs it then yes, BUT FOR GAMES LIKE Dow 2 and ground control and the Myth series, base building will only hinder them. My point is , it (base building) works for some and not for others. Personally I don't miss base building , imo it is a dated and extremely repetitive system.

omenodebander

Indeed.

After being used to it for ages, dropping it all of sudden seems a too extreme change of pace, tho. Which is why it's a huge minus for me.

omenodebander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 omenodebander

^

I understand.

Avatar image for deactivated-5916f7dd7b7db
deactivated-5916f7dd7b7db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 deactivated-5916f7dd7b7db
Member since 2007 • 123 Posts

Best Way for Men of War

TimeGate Studios for Kohan, Kohan 2

Relic for DoW, DoW2, DoW2CR, CoH

Blizzard for SC, WC3

omenodebander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 omenodebander

my apologies for coming across too harsh.

Avatar image for LifelikeThunder
LifelikeThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 LifelikeThunder
Member since 2003 • 60 Posts

Paradox interactive.

Many fun and deep strategy games. Europa Universalis series, Hearts of Iron series, Supreme ruler 2020, victoria just tp mention a few. Also Sword of the stars.

tricap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 tricap
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
Blizzard. They have been making great rts games for a long time. Warcraft 2, Warcraft3, starcraft, broodwar, and starcraft 2.
cyborg100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 cyborg100000
Member since 2005 • 2905 Posts

Westwood, I enjoyed Red Alert 2 more than anything; the fast pace, the interesting units (I didn't like the over-use of lasers in C&C 3), the nice distinct 2D look which I think truly suits RTS's as opposed to 3D, the industrial techno metal music, the (my most) memorable trailer and the crazy original story.

howlrunner13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#70 howlrunner13
Member since 2005 • 4408 Posts

[QUOTE="madrocketeer"][QUOTE="DanielDust"]That's like saying "no RTS can compete with a TBS", they are all strategy but not exactly the same genre.DanielDust

Sins of a Solar Empire is not a TBS. It a RTS with Galactic Civilizations/Master of Orion style 4X elements. Therefore, it counts as a RTS.

Half of what you do is done automatically by the computer because of the size, and base building is extremely limited, for me that makes it less of an RTS and more of an RTT, but since it's neither their genre name works best 4x space RTS, it doesn't even have any competition there :P of course it's the best, only one that would qualify is Homeworld 2 but that one is a real RTS.

You just contradicted yourself. You say that SoASE is not a RTS because it has no base building. Then you say Homeworld 2 is a RTS. News flash: Homeworld series never had base building. In fact Sins has more in the way of base building then Homeworld does. Sins is a RTS.