which requires more strategy: starcraft or chess?

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Xeros606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Xeros606
Member since 2007 • 11126 Posts
topic.
thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
Chess.
-notdie-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 -notdie-
Member since 2005 • 473 Posts
A lucky pawn rush won't win the game for you in chess.
McCain_da_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 McCain_da_G
Member since 2008 • 143 Posts
life.
Mediocre_man90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 Mediocre_man90
Member since 2006 • 968 Posts
There's very little real strategy in Starcraft, just optimized build orders. Chess wins.
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#6 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11783 Posts

were as starcraft does have bits of strategy... chess has alot more,

where if you have massive amounts of units you can win in SC... but if you have 3 pieces, and your opponent has 8 pieces, you can still win in chess.

chess is a breakdown of character and intuition.. much more strategic than any RTS game i have played. and i have played a good bit of them

but thats not to take away the strategy of RTS games, including starcraft.. they all have strategy in their own right. but chess takes a bit more imo.

SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SpaceMoose
Member since 2004 • 10789 Posts

Chess is mostly two things: memorization of situations and logic. I don't know if I'd necessarily call it a "strategy" game. It's more of a "logic" puzzle. The fact that you have an opponent is sort of incidental, although obviously the quality of said opponent affects how good your decisions have to be. If it wasn't for that astronomical mathematical complexity of looking too many moves ahead, there would be a move that is guaranteed to be right regardless of what your opponent might do in chess, whereas that isn't really true of Starcraft or any other game with imperfect information or a random element to it.

If you had two theoretical opponents with unlimited capacity for calculation and memory, then I would think that the outcome of chess would always be the same: Either the first to move always wins, second to move always wins, or it's always a stalemate. Chess becomes a game of limited information only because it is mathematically impossible within a reasonable time frame and memory space to consider every possible situation a certain number of moves ahead. Starcraft is a game of truly limited information where you do not always know what your opponent is doing (unless you're a cheating SOB). Therefore, I would say that Starcraft is more "strategic."

(Lest someone should think I'm picking Starcraft because I'm good at it, I have to say that I kind of suck at it actually.)

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Lach0121

Chess is mostly two things: memorization of situations and logic. I don't know if I'd necessarily call it a "strategy" game. It's more of a "logic" puzzle. The fact that you have an opponent is sort of incidental, although obviously the quality of said opponent affects how good your decisions have to be. If it wasn't for that astronomical mathematical complexity of looking too many moves ahead, there would be a move that is guaranteed to be right regardless of what your opponent might do in chess, whereas that isn't really true of Starcraft or any other game with imperfect information or a random element to it.

If you had two theoretical opponents with unlimited capacity for calculation and memory, then I would think that the outcome of chess would always be the same: Either the first to move always wins, second to move always wins, or it's always a stalemate. Chess becomes a game of limited information only because it is mathematically impossible within a reasonable time frame and memory space to consider every possible situation a certain number of moves ahead. Starcraft is a game of truly limited information where you do not always know what your opponent is doing (unless you're a cheating SOB). Therefore, I would say that Starcraft is more "strategic."

(Lest someone should think I'm picking Starcraft because I'm good at it, I have to say that I kind of suck at it actually.)

SpaceMoose

i somewhat agree.

chess does take strategy no doubt... but you are not entirely incorrect calling it a logic puzzle. cause it is a game in logic, but also strategy,

but in SC i disagree with one thing.

you can win by a standard set of moves with chess i give you that... but you can do the same thing in SC, so that point is kinda void..

but you do make valid points.

though i still say chess takes the cake.

nimatoad2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 nimatoad2000
Member since 2004 • 7505 Posts
chess is all about math, thats why supercomputers can beat humans everytime, their is always a best move to make, humans cant always see this and only the best can make a strategy for 5 moves ahead of time.. im sure starcraft is the exact same way, theirs probly a best strategy, and for whatever your enemy does theirs a best way to counter it. and your speed of reaction and micromanagement will win the game for you.
SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SpaceMoose

i somewhat agree.

chess does take strategy no doubt... but you are not entirely incorrect calling it a logic puzzle. cause it is a game in logic, but also strategy,

you can win by a standard set of moves with chess i give you that... but you can do the same thing in SC, so that point is kinda void..

Lach0121

In Starcraft any strategy an be adjusted against, certainly if both players are the same race. If both are the same race and play "perfectly" on a symmetrical map, who wins? Well, they might adjust their behavior based on what they think their opponent will do, which means there really isn't a "perfect" strategy, unless we are talking about the perfect set of strategies known as a Nash Equilibrium. In Starcraft, there are essentially infinite variations on what someone can do, if you figure in every possible place they can move each unit, even within a short time frame. You need to take into account not only what you know, but a guess about possible things the opponent will do. Chess is just the state of the board. Opponent behavior is largely irrelevant in chess except maybe at very high levels of play where you might be depending upon a particular type of mistake someone makes if options appear otherwise equal.

I'm not really going to argue about it though, as it's really a matter of opinion about what exactly is meant by strategic in this case. I just wanted to further elaborate on my view.

jedinat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 jedinat
Member since 2003 • 3560 Posts
I think you'd be better off asking which requires more invested intelligence. "More strategy" doesn't really mean anything.
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Lach0121
[QUOTE="Lach0121"]

i somewhat agree.

SpaceMoose

In Starcraft any strategy an be adjusted against, certainly if both players are the same race. If both are the same race and play "perfectly" on a symmetrical map, who wins? Well, they might adjust their behavior based on what they think their opponent will do, which means there really isn't a "perfect" strategy, unless we are talking about the perfect set of strategies known as a Nash Equilibrium. In Starcraft, there are essentially infinite variations on what someone can do, if you figure in every possible place they can move each unit, even within a short time frame. You need to take into account not only what you know, but a guess about possible things the opponent will do. Chess is just the state of the board. Opponent behavior is largely irrelevant in chess except maybe at very high levels of play where you might be depending upon a particular type of mistake someone makes if options appear otherwise equal.

I'm not really going to argue about it though, as it's really a matter of opinion about what exactly is meant by strategic in this case. I just wanted to further elaborate on my view.

no i agree on this as well. and it really does boil down to perception of "strategy"...

but the only thing that really differenciates between teh two is... chess is turn-based, and SC is real time...

now if you were going to make a more fair comparison it would be a TBS(turn based strategy) vs chess...

now i love SC and chess. both are great... but in my opinion.. i think chess will help your brain develop a little more on the logic side than it would strategy side, and SC would more on the entertainment side, and slight strategy side.

now im not argueing either, cause i think you make some valid points.

i was just elaborating on how i see it.

SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SpaceMoose
chess is all about math, thats why supercomputers can beat humans everytime, their is always a best move to make, humans cant always see this and only the best can make a strategy for 5 moves ahead of time.. im sure starcraft is the exact same way, theirs probly a best strategy, and for whatever your enemy does theirs a best way to counter it. and your speed of reaction and micromanagement will win the game for you.nimatoad2000
Here is an interesting observation though: There is currently software that can beat the best chess players, but there is not yet software that can beat the best human Texas hold 'em players over the long run (although I'm sure there will be eventually). Why? Imperfect information and the need to modify behavior based on the opponent's behavior. Opponent behavior doesn't matter in chess, in theory. If you could do enough calculations, there would be a move that is always the most correct one regardless of who you are playing.
SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SpaceMoose
There's a slight technicality about something I said that has been bothering me. If you are in the position in chess where there is perfect play that will win no matter what the opponent does, then obviously there is a move that is always correct regardless of the opponent. However, if you are on the other side, then there arguably is no perfect strategy (if the only thing that matters is if the game ends in a win / draw, or loss), and in that case you would want to choose a move based on what you think an opponent who is not playing perfectly might do. I know probably nobody cares, but that technicality was driving me nuts after I thought about it, so I had to correct it.
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Lach0121

There's a slight technicality about something I said that has been bothering me. If you are in the position in chess where there is perfect play that will win no matter what the opponent does, then obviously there is a move that is always correct regardless of the opponent. However, if you are on the other side, then there arguably is no perfect strategy (if the only thing that matters is if the game ends in a win / draw, or loss), and in that case you would want to choose a move based on what you think an opponent who is not playing perfectly might do. I know probably nobody cares, but that technicality was driving me nuts after I thought about it, so I had to correct it.SpaceMoose

understandable my man lol.

i agree...

i love chess absolutely love it.. though im tired of playing computers...

i like to watch the expressions of someone while i play them... i like to try to think of what they are thinking, based upon their body-tells. and whatnot, sort of like poker, but not really...

hard to do that on SC, if you do that on SC, then you will lose, cause your taking your eyes of the "much needed to be constantly watched" screen lol.

Poshkidney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 Poshkidney
Member since 2006 • 3803 Posts
Chess as its the only game my dad can beat me at. Also people are still playing chess longer than starcraft
SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SpaceMoose
[QUOTE="Poshkidney"]Chess as its the only game my dad can beat me at. Also people are still playing chess longer than starcraft

I'm going to ponder which of those reasons sounds more nonsensical for a while. I guess the card game War is more strategic than Hearts...
arijit_2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#19 arijit_2404
Member since 2006 • 1558 Posts
It's not only starcraft, any PC RTS game requires LESS strategy than Chess.
Erlkoenig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Erlkoenig
Member since 2006 • 715 Posts

There are more strategies in chess only because there are more time to plan them. SC and chess are completely different, one is real time the other is turn-based. Imagine playing chess with a 0.1 second turn to make it "feel" more like an RTS, there wouldn't be many strategies left would there?

Or imagine playing SC as turn-based: I move my marine then you move your zergling then I move my tank etc...then SC would be a much more complex strategy game because there simply are way more possibilities.

ravage19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21 ravage19
Member since 2007 • 207 Posts

life.McCain_da_G

Agree

rmfd341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22 rmfd341
Member since 2008 • 3808 Posts

[QUOTE="McCain_da_G"]life.ravage19

Agree

Agree. Well, Chess takes a lot more energy of your brain, but south koreans don't think so, Starcraft is almost like a national sport there, they have tv channels for Starcraft...
SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SpaceMoose
[QUOTE="rmfd341"] ...Well, Chess takes a lot more energy of your brain...

Link?
rmfd341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 rmfd341
Member since 2008 • 3808 Posts
[QUOTE="SpaceMoose"][QUOTE="rmfd341"] ...Well, Chess takes a lot more energy of your brain...

Link?

Oh, you understood, didn't you?
pvtdonut54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25 pvtdonut54
Member since 2008 • 8554 Posts
anyone who says starcraft is out of their mind and have obviously never played a real chess game.
knight0151

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 knight0151
Member since 2008 • 1205 Posts
Lol chess.
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
What about Starcraft themed chess?
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Lach0121

What about Starcraft themed chess?Treflis

hmm lol

johnny27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29 johnny27
Member since 2006 • 4400 Posts
star craft has strategy but knowing good build orders and being able to micro ur units really good is essential to being good at it.
Avatar image for deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
deactivated-64ba3ebd35404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
Member since 2004 • 7590 Posts
Love requires more strategy than Both.
arijit_2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#31 arijit_2404
Member since 2006 • 1558 Posts
Love requires more strategy than Both.kieranb2000
bingo! :)
furymonkeyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 furymonkeyman
Member since 2004 • 102 Posts
To me this question is like asking soccer or chess.... because one is turn based, another is real time, and in real time, speed matters. Edit: Personally I think chess has more strategy, if your only looking for the "strategy" part.
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Lach0121

[QUOTE="kieranb2000"]Love requires more strategy than Both.arijit_2404
bingo! :)

the act of love itself does not..

the filtering of BS that people give you, and crap you would go thru, does.

Forerunner-117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Forerunner-117
Member since 2006 • 8800 Posts
I really can't compare them, they're just too different. An RTS vs. a TBS? Although I must say, some good, valid points have been made in this thread.
teh_VU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 teh_VU
Member since 2008 • 754 Posts

[QUOTE="McCain_da_G"]life.ravage19

Agree

DIsagree. I've managed to live nearly 17 years with no strategy what so ever. But I did not have to worry about defending against a Zerg rush.
TanKLoveR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 TanKLoveR
Member since 2004 • 5712 Posts
I been playing SC for 10 years and i can say there are countless outcomes and strategies to every game( it is not about the same BO over and over), right now the game has reached a certain lvl of perfection that every little mistake makes a huuuuuuge difference. U watch the pro players play and its just amazing how they think or do the stuff they do while they play at the speeds they play, its just really intimidating. With all that said i do think Chess requires a higher level of intelligence.
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Lach0121

I been playing SC for 10 years and i can say there are countless outcomes and strategies to every game( it is not about the same BO over and over), right now the game has reached a certain lvl of perfection that every little mistake makes a huuuuuuge difference. U watch the pro players play and its just amazing how they think or do the stuff they do while they play at the speeds they play, its just really intimidating. With all that said i do think Chess requires a higher level of intelligence.TanKLoveR

this i agree with somewhat, but take all of what you said, and watch some pro's play chess. and you will get the same intimidating results.

just remember professional chess, is timed.

mudman91878

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mudman91878
Member since 2003 • 740 Posts

It's starcraft, easily.

Here's why.

You can't write a computer program to beat the best players in the world at starcraft, but you can at chess (because it's MUCH simpler). Chess is essentially a game with 6 basic rules (what each piece can do). Starcraft can't be reduced to 6 basic rules.

Those saying starcraft is nothing but memorizing build orders, etc couldn't be more wrong. If ANY of that crap were true then starcraft would have died out years ago.

Another thing people are conveniently forgetting is that each side in chess is identical whereas there are three completely unique races in starcraft.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Lach0121

It's starcraft, easily.

Here's why.

You can't write a computer program to beat the best players in the world at starcraft, but you can at chess. Chess is essentially a game with 6 basic rules (what each piece can do). Starcraft can't be reduced to 6 basic rules.

Those saying starcraft is nothing but memorizing build orders, etc couldn't be more wrong. If ANY of that crap were true then starcraft would have died out years ago.

mudman91878

im not saying one is more strategic than the other, now that my mind has been opened to the subject a little more..

one is no more strategic than the other, both have a finite understanding about them.. neither truly has "endless" outcomes.

also since i am starting to get a little aggrivated i will state the following.

what we come here to the forums is to get social authentication... so sad that most "truth" is based upon this understanding.

for people confuse social authentication for truth. they figure the more people they can get to agree with them, it makes their statement true. lol.

for people can make valid points saying chess is way more strategic, just as people can make valid points saying starcraft is more strategic.

funny that is something that no one has posted yet.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Lach0121

sorry if i offended anyone just now with my post above,

its just people get so caught up in something they dont really realize what is going on. or people tend to look at things from a biased closed perception.

both people on teh chess and SC side make valid points.

im just getting tired and cranky. so please do excuse me.

jjtiebuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#41 jjtiebuckle
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts
[QUOTE="mudman91878"]

It's starcraft, easily.

Here's why.

You can't write a computer program to beat the best players in the world at starcraft, but you can at chess. Chess is essentially a game with 6 basic rules (what each piece can do). Starcraft can't be reduced to 6 basic rules.

Lach0121

im not saying one is more strategic than the other, now that my mind has been opened to the subject a little more..

one is no more strategic than the other, both have a finite understanding about them.. neither truly has "endless" outcomes.

what we come here to the forums is to get social authentication... so sad that most "truth" is based upon this understanding.

for people confuse social authentication for truth. they figure the more people they can get to agree with them, it makes their statement true. lol.

for people can make valid points saying chess is way more strategic, just as people can make valid points saying starcraft is more strategic.

I think it has less to do with people believing their statements are true opposed to having someone else validate their point. I'm curious as to where "social authentication" comes from. Not a psych term in my books.. communication? Philosophy? On topic - Chess, although I suck at both so my opinion matters little.
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Lach0121
[QUOTE="Lach0121"][QUOTE="mudman91878"]

It's starcraft, easily.

Here's why.

jjtiebuckle

I think it has less to do with people believing their statements are true opposed to having someone else validate their point. I'm curious as to where "social authentication" comes from. Not a psych term in my books.. communication? Philosophy? On topic - Chess, although I suck at both so my opinion matters little.

it may or may not be in your lol "books" but it is a term in which technically (having someone else validating their point) is social authentication (having your point/opinion/or view socially validated), and sadly this is how most truths are measured.

the more people agree with you... the more right you are... no matter how rediculous the (content in which you are having validated) is

Avatar image for BontraXenderKyl
BontraXenderKyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 BontraXenderKyl
Member since 2007 • 706 Posts

You can't compare them to each other because first off, Chess is not a video game while Starcraft is. Secondly, Chess is a TBS game while Starcraft is RTS. And even more reasons why you can't compare them. But if you insist I'd surely say Chess.

Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts

SpaceMoose
so you just said that chess is like many other turn based strategy games. and starcraft is a REAL TIME one.
SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SpaceMoose

so you just said that chess is like many other turn based strategy games. and starcraft is a REAL TIME one.Kh1ndjal

Chess isn't like a turn based strategy game either as - for starters - there are still unknown pieces of information in most TBS computer games. Additionally, there is the factor of there typically being multiple opponents. If everyone decides they are going to gang up on you in a typical TBS game then your strategy is probably irrelevant as far as winning goes, so that's a whole different animal from both of them.

capthavic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#46 capthavic
Member since 2003 • 6478 Posts
A lucky pawn rush won't win the game for you in chess.-notdie-
Thats why I don't understand the appeal of those tournaments. There is no strategy aside from a rigid optimum build queue and rapidly clicking the mouse like a paranoid gnat. Now I'm sure that takes some skill and they could beat me in their sleep, but that's not really strategy and not very entertaining.
furymonkeyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 furymonkeyman
Member since 2004 • 102 Posts
[QUOTE="-notdie-"]A lucky pawn rush won't win the game for you in chess.capthavic
Thats why I don't understand the appeal of those tournaments. There is no strategy aside from a rigid optimum build queue and rapidly clicking the mouse like a paranoid gnat. Now I'm sure that takes some skill and they could beat me in their sleep, but that's not really strategy and not very entertaining.

It is true that starcraft also rely on speed, so think it as a physical sport, where pros can sometimes pull out some amazing micro/macro. I think thats what made starcraft a game with a huge followers. IMO starcraft isn't purely a "strategy" game. Nevertheless there are still many strateagies involved/required in this game, a shallow look into the game won't find these.
aura_enchanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#48 aura_enchanted
Member since 2006 • 7942 Posts
chess RTS games a simply wars of attrition until someone has the bigger gun.
mudman91878

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 mudman91878
Member since 2003 • 740 Posts

[QUOTE="-notdie-"]A lucky pawn rush won't win the game for you in chess.capthavic

For the billionth time, if ANYTHING you said were true, Starcraft would have died out years ago. To say there's no strategy in Starcraft is the equivalent of admitting to everyone you've hardly, if ever, even played the game.

ttomm1946

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50 ttomm1946
Member since 2004 • 1871 Posts
Probably the Game Of Go has more than either...7 simple rules but playing well is extremely difficult Also it's played by more people world wide....Especially in
Asian countries:D