What was the scarier game the first time you played it? F.E.A.R-Bioschock-Doom3

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Cracker__Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Cracker__Jack
Member since 2003 • 1897 Posts
I would have to say Doom3 by far. FEAR was like watching any scary movie on DVD and Bioshock was just too cool to look at to be scared.
Empty_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Empty_Rage
Member since 2003 • 28 Posts
I've only played Doom 3 so, I suppose Doom 3.
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19574 Posts
Easily Doom 3 - although none of them are particularly scary.
FEAR wasn't scary - the only 'scares' are when things suddenly appear in front of you and that only happens a few times throughout the game, while it happens far more frequently in Doom 3.
Bioshock wasn't scary at all - I can't even think of any 'jump' moments.
mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mfsa
Member since 2007 • 3328 Posts

all three of those games offer piss poor horror, doom 3 has an interesting mechanic, the whole you-can-see-or-shoot, so you always feel vulnerable, but it doesn't really work out well... not a frightening game at all for me

f.e.a.r was even worse, i don't consider it a horror game at all - its reliance on derivative and tired boo shock mechanics are just terrible... lucky for f.e.a.r, it's a damn fine shooter

system shock 2 is a magnificent horror game, but bioshock is utterly pathetic as a horror game, pandering to the mainstream audience, we have nearly unlimited uspplies and vita-chambers practically make us invincible - what is there to fear when we cannot die? the enemies and environments are also not frightening in the least

if i had to pick one, i'd go for doom 3, but being the best of the worst is hardly commendable

Grantelicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#5 Grantelicious
Member since 2007 • 1541 Posts
I dunno i played System Shock 2 for 10 seconds because i couldn't strafe on it. There's no such thing as a scary game or a scary movie because you can't actually get harmed while watching them, so what's to be scared about? It's like omg something jumped outta me and my character die, yeah and so what? I'll just play the level again and if i die again then i'll unistall the game.
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

FEAR. Its the only game attempting to use creep mechanics on you instead of just "bah monster pops outta nowhere!"

Doom 3 stopped being scary at all around half way through the game. The enemy placement was very predictable, and by 75% of the game it was just pure action and no chance for scaryness.

Bioshock.... i dont consider the game scary at all. I've had 3 or 4 moments where i jumped because an enemy suddenly jumped out at me. But overall, i dont see anything else that makes it scary.

mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mfsa
Member since 2007 • 3328 Posts

I dunno i played System Shock 2 for 10 seconds because i couldn't strafe on it. There's no such thing as a scary game or a scary movie because you can't actually get harmed while watching them, so what's to be scared about? It's like omg something jumped outta me and my character die, yeah and so what? I'll just play the level again and if i die again then i'll unistall the game.Grantelicious

fear is a product of self-preservation, true, a result of the instinctive need of lifeto preserve and perpetuate, and many people find that - either by having such a powerful sense of self-preservation, or by becoming so utterly immersed in the game - they react in the same way in a game as they would in real life, their sense of self-preservation comes into playand the product is fear... many times i have been overwhelmed by a mad animal panic as a hybrid appears right behind me in shock 2, and i run for my life - sure, it's just a game, and sure i can just hit escape any time i want to pause it... but the point is that, playing in the right environment (surround sound + all natural light blocked out so all i see and hear is the game), i become so immersed in the experience that i forget myself

i utterly agree when it comes to films, but games are fundamentally different, with games you are not merely an observer, you are the character (perhaps a horror film shot entirely in the first person would be fantastic?)

many people, myself included, enjoy fear, and it saddens me that you're missing out on such an enjoyable sensation... but hey, each to their own, right?

you can strafe in shock 2 btw, if you bind the keys up... if it just randomly doesn't work for you... that's a real shame, you're missing something great

Skullheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 Skullheart
Member since 2006 • 2054 Posts

I would have to say Doom3 by far. FEAR was like watching any scary movie on DVD and Bioshock was just too cool to look at to be scared.Cracker__Jack

Don't know about Doom 3, and Bioshock offered no scare factor to me...so, F.E.A.R.

captalchol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 captalchol
Member since 2006 • 643 Posts
I would have to go with fear on this one. Although none are really terrifying. Fear is just the creepiest.
can0of0cheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 can0of0cheese
Member since 2006 • 233 Posts

Doom was scarry as hell in the beginning of the game but then it's like either i suddenly got magical premonition powers or the design team got lazy.... In the last part of the game i just ran straight into rooms dodged blows and owned em....but it was not scary... Especially after you get the cube of uber life drain it got really generic really fast.

Therefore i will say fear as it made me jump from the keyboard like three times, in doom i only did that once.

Excuse my poor english, im not from the states.... Or England.

RelXe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#11 RelXe
Member since 2003 • 73 Posts

Deffinatly F.E.A.R.
Doom 3 didnt even scare me a little bit.
And neither did Bioschock.

Skullheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Skullheart

I just played the demo for Doom 3 (because I didn't remember it all that well when my friend rented it) and I will say that F.E.A.R. was much...scarier than Doom 3.

Bioshock still wasn't scary.

linkthewindow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13 linkthewindow
Member since 2005 • 5654 Posts
F.E.A.R scared me, but by the end, it got a little predictable. With BioShock, I was too busy looking at the world to be scared.
Skullheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Skullheart

F.E.A.R scared me, but by the end, it got a little predictable. With BioShock, I was too busy looking at the world to be scared.linkthewindow

Predictable storyline-wise? I'm hoping F.E.A.R. 2 will make a great footprint on the gaming universe as it's predessecor did

solatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 solatron
Member since 2003 • 198 Posts

Havent played Bioshock yet.

FEAR is scary & creepy in a ghostly way...not the enemy, but during the gameplay atmosphere.

DOOM 3 scared me the most because of its demonic & gore atmosphere, pop-out demonic monsters & zombified humans...damn scary Hell Knights lol. Bloody crap, I wont forget my first time experience playing that game.

So I would say DOOM 3.

pooya_d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#16 pooya_d
Member since 2003 • 95 Posts
FEAR is the scariest....... after that I CONDEMNED
FPSGunnerDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 FPSGunnerDude
Member since 2006 • 948 Posts
Fear is the scaryist because it's the most real looking, next bioshock when you turn around and see one of the freaks behind you. Anyone else jump at the dental office when that doctor pops up behind you? Doom 3 wasn't very scary to me.
Galzakian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18 Galzakian
Member since 2004 • 5160 Posts
FEAR for me, Doom 3 was a very close second. Yet to play Bioshock unfortunately.
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Planeforger

I dunno i played System Shock 2 for 10 seconds because i couldn't strafe on it. Grantelicious

It's an old game - you have to bind the strafe keys to strafe. Give it another go - it's an excellent game.

Subcritical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#20 Subcritical
Member since 2004 • 2286 Posts

I haven't played Bioshock yet, but I've played FEAR and Doom 3.

FEAR wan't fearful at all. Fortunaltely the game was a very good shooter.

DOOM 3 provided many startling moments that could be considered "scarier", I suppose.

System Shock 2 is the king of dred and scariness. Thief: The Dark Age also had some moments too.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Planeforger

Thief: The Dark Age also had some moments too.

Subcritical

Uh...there's Thief: The Dark Project and Thief: The Metal Age, no The Dark Age. :P

The Dark Project had some very spooky moments, and a creepy atmosphere throughout; The Metal Age was far less creepy; and Deadly Shadows had one of the most atmospheric horror levels I can think of (the Shalebridge Cradle).

gamerchick_89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 gamerchick_89
Member since 2007 • 52 Posts
Doom 3
GranTurismo123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GranTurismo123
Member since 2005 • 308 Posts
ok, well since doom 3 didnt even get me to slightly jump, that definately isnt startling, and Bioshock, like was just plain and simple an amazing game, and really wasnt scary what so ever, but F.E.A.R definately did get me a couple times like when you have to press that button to open a door to a room or something, and whne you turn around there she is alma is starring at you with her dirty hair covering her face, that scared me, and i was also scarred as i was walking through the hole elevator part.
mimic-Denmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mimic-Denmark
Member since 2006 • 4382 Posts

Doom 3, Condemned and then the AvP games as the marine.

Fear didnt scare me one bit, but it had cool action so that saved the game for me.

Have only tried the Bioshock demo and judging from that i cant see how that game is scary.

I just dont fall for those psychick terror stuff in fear, for me to be scared i need to be low on health and a hell knight or a bunch of spiders coming at me :) The stuff in the game needs to be able to hurt you before i can be scared, otherwise there is no reason to be scared, and thats why fear failed in that part with me.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#25 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69566 Posts
I have only played Doom 3 and FEAR, however I have played the demo of Bioshock. Doom 3 scare tactics were so predictable that I wasn't scared at all, more like annoyed than scared because I already new what was going to happen. FEAR scare tactics were great but its only effective on the first run.
Avatar image for DerkaDerkaJihad
DerkaDerkaJihad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DerkaDerkaJihad
Member since 2007 • 873 Posts

I was hoping Bioshock would be scary but it really wasn't. FEAR is just very atmospheric and it makes you tense the entire time you're playing it. Stalker was also a very atmospheric game, the sound was superb in that game.

I for one hate games like Doom3 that have to rely on stuff jumping out at you to scare you. Doom will make me jump every now and then but only because it caught me off guard. It doesn't really do a good job of genuinely scaring you because I know when monsters and what not jump out at me I get more pissed off than scared and then I just shoot the monster out of anger instead of fear like some games make you do.

-AK47-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 -AK47-
Member since 2007 • 3277 Posts

FEAR is scary.

I didn't think Bioshock was scary at all.

Never played Doom 3 yet.

Hewkii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Hewkii
Member since 2006 • 26339 Posts
Doom 3, but I haven't played FEAR yet.
thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
Doom 3
BeErBOnG29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 BeErBOnG29
Member since 2005 • 4387 Posts

I would have to say Doom3 by far. FEAR was like watching any scary movie on DVD and Bioshock was just too cool to look at to be scared.Cracker__Jack

I'd have to agree with the FEAR part. Playing FEAR is similar to watching The Ring or The Grudge.

mimic-Denmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mimic-Denmark
Member since 2006 • 4382 Posts

[QUOTE="Cracker__Jack"]I would have to say Doom3 by far. FEAR was like watching any scary movie on DVD and Bioshock was just too cool to look at to be scared.BeErBOnG29

I'd have to agree with the FEAR part. Playing FEAR is similar to watching The Ring or The Grudge.

When i watched The Ring or The grudge i almost feel asleep. The only thing Fear and those movies have incommen is the wierd little girl and some other japanese horror stuff, other then that fear is just cool action. Fear is more like a john woo movie then anything else.

zbiggie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32 zbiggie
Member since 2004 • 363 Posts

bioshock wasn't scary at all, it was a great game

fear was scary at some parts but overall was just a everyday shooter

doom3 had walls which opened for no reason other then letting a creature out

Nobana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33 Nobana
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="linkthewindow"]F.E.A.R scared me, but by the end, it got a little predictable. With BioShock, I was too busy looking at the world to be scared.Skullheart

Predictable storyline-wise? I'm hoping F.E.A.R. 2 will make a great footprint on the gaming universe as it's predessecor did

The story line was a bit predictable. Except for one (in my opinion) priceless twist at the very end, where you get to see the full hospital scene, though I guess it wasnt really a hospital, but anyone whose played it knows what I mean. Id say fear was the most atmostpheric and gave you a sense of self preservation, but it only made me jump a couple times. same with the others, but to a lesser extent. id have to say fear.

Cracker__Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Cracker__Jack

bioshock wasn't scary at all, it was a great game

fear was scary at some parts but overall was just a everyday shooter

doom3 had walls which opened for no reason other then letting a creature out

zbiggie

Why do people bash Doom 3 and their opening walls for no reason? I know everyone was scared as zhit the very first time they played it you can't convince me otherwise so stop playin

Rowedahelicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 Rowedahelicon
Member since 2002 • 34 Posts

Doom 3 was abit scary. The others... I can't say.

Anyway if you want scary thencheck out System Shock 2, Thief: The Dark Project (scarier), or Penumbra: Overture. The first two may have aged a bit and may take a bit of tinkering to get to run properly, but I guarantee it's worth it.

I dunno i played System Shock 2 for 10 seconds because i couldn't strafe on it. There's no such thing as a scary game or a scary movie because you can't actually get harmed while watching them, so what's to be scared about? It's like omg something jumped outta me and my character die, yeah and so what? I'll just play the level again and if i die again then i'll unistall the game.Grantelicious

I pity you.

Petie_394

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Petie_394
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Id have to say the first time i got really scared plying a game was when i was playing FarCry, and also the flood in Halo has its moments too..

Nice topic btw, even tho i didnt use any of the three games u asked about haha and yea Bioshock is too sweet to look at to care.
seangames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 seangames
Member since 2006 • 162 Posts
I haven't played Doom3 yet (*gasp!*), so I would say F.E.A.R. ofcourse. I could only play that game 30 minutes at a time, otherwise, I would get a freak-out over-load, and probably have my head explode.
Herrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Herrick
Member since 2004 • 4549 Posts

Doom 3 scared the herrick out of me for a while. I think I finally got over it about half way through the game. It was the first scary game I ever played. F.E.A.R. was scary here and there.

BioShock was scary for the first few minutes only because I didn't realize that game has sound for your footsteps whenever you turn around with the mouse. I kept thinking, "Where are those footsteps coming from?!" I don't know of any other game that does this. The game also uses a cheap attempt to scare the player by having a Splicer's voice right in your ear when they are actually quite far away. That was mostly annoying.

nappy65_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 nappy65_basic
Member since 2002 • 1234 Posts

I acatually thought that the very end of FEAR was pretty scary. I was very tense while playing that final section. Other than that, it was just a fun shooter. Doom 3 had some tense moments in the very beginning which went away very quickly. I only downloaded the demo for Bioshock, and the only scary part was my 7600GS trying to run it. :(

way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#40 way2funny
Member since 2003 • 4570 Posts
Stalker was scarier than those 3 IMO
c_doody_1999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#41 c_doody_1999
Member since 2005 • 533 Posts

the end of fear is scairy with the ghosts,

and bioshock isnt rely scairy at all,

doom is very good for making you jump and providing a creepy atmosphere so that. but other that that stalker creeps me out.

SneaKyDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SneaKyDude
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
F.E.A.R for sure, i had to get my friend over to sit with me to play lol, that was how freaked out i was.
pinneyapple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 pinneyapple
Member since 2005 • 5566 Posts
None of them were very scary at all to be honest.
NerdMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 NerdMan
Member since 2002 • 2749 Posts

Am I the only one pansy enough to be creeped out by Bioshock? I'd give some specific moments, but don't want to spoil anything for people.

Playing it in the dark with my surround sound, the game just oozes atmosphere.

Cracker__Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Cracker__Jack
No just no...
Hung_Phat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Hung_Phat
Member since 2002 • 469 Posts

None of them were very scary at all to be honest.pinneyapple

Right

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#47 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts

I didn't think any of them were scary, didn't even make me jump.

STALKER is fairly creepy. The scariest game would have to go to Aliens vs Predator and it's sequel. The only games to make me jump.

mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#48 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts
FEAR scared me the most out of the 3. The only game that really gave me nightmares were the Silent Hill games and RE2
Macolele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Macolele
Member since 2006 • 534 Posts
It must be Doom3.
THGarrett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#50 THGarrett
Member since 2003 • 2574 Posts
I'll say Fear, then again I only played the game at night. Seriously playing creepy games like that when your all alone in your house is quite the experience.