What is the best monitor to use with the Witcher 3 series?

Erik11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Erik11
Member since 2003 • 29 Posts

When considering a new monitor to use when playing Witcher 3, the following are questions that would help my choice. Any insight would be appreciated.

Pixel refresh rate: 1ns? 3ns? 5ns? 7ns? What is the minimum to look for?

Screen refresh rate: 60hz? 144hz? minimum to look for?

TN or IPS panel? I know TN has faster refresh rates, but IPS is supposed to have better color, etc. Which is best for Witcher 3?

G-sync or freesync: I know this depends on your video card, but which is the preferred or best to use?

Screen size: The bigger the better is assumed

Other considerations?

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

There really is no best monitor for the witcher 3 its mostly personal preference. go to a place nearby that has monitors on display and choose which one you like best.

ips its better

high refresh rate is better

response time doesnt matter as much

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

I've got a Gsync monitor, I definitely wouldn't go back to using v-sync.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@Erik11 said:

When considering a new monitor to use when playing Witcher 3, the following are questions that would help my choice. Any insight would be appreciated.

Pixel refresh rate: 1ns? 3ns? 5ns? 7ns? What is the minimum to look for?

Screen refresh rate: 60hz? 144hz? minimum to look for?

TN or IPS panel? I know TN has faster refresh rates, but IPS is supposed to have better color, etc. Which is best for Witcher 3?

G-sync or freesync: I know this depends on your video card, but which is the preferred or best to use?

Screen size: The bigger the better is assumed

Other considerations?

Depends how powerful your PC is to what kinds of resolutions/refresh rate/GSync/Freesync it can push out to to be honest.

Erik11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Erik11

@FelipeInside: I'm building a new system, starting with the monitor. I will buy a video card and motherboard to support it. Not worried about spending a little cash, but wanted to make sure I don't regret getting the wrong gear.

I am limited to a smaller 24" or 27" screen right now and want to wait a while for a 4k monitor.

I was planning to buy a g-sync, but not sure.

The two things I'm not sure of at this point are: TN vs IPS and if 5ns refresh rate was too slow or not.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FelipeInside

@Erik11 said:

@FelipeInside: I'm building a new system, starting with the monitor. I will buy a video card and motherboard to support it. Not worried about spending a little cash, but wanted to make sure I don't regret getting the wrong gear.

I am limited to a smaller 24" or 27" screen right now and want to wait a while for a 4k monitor.

I was planning to buy a g-sync, but not sure.

The two things I'm not sure of at this point are: TN vs IPS and if 5ns refresh rate was too slow or not.

Ok, well here are my two cents:

4K: not really worth it yet (flame shields on). Sure it looks great but most PC games these days are console ports so the big resolution jump doesn't make that much of a difference to most games (in some it makes them look worse). On top of that 4K is expensive because you need strong GPUs to run games that high.

24" or 27": Go 27" or even 32", depends how far you are away from the monitor. 24" is just too small now imo.

G-Sync: if you're getting an NVIDIA card, go G-Sync for sure.

Refresh Rate: don't worry so much about the 2ms, 5ms etc thing, worry more about the Hz. Go 120Hz or 144Hz, don't go 60Hz (once I jumped from 60 to 120 I will never go back to 60)

TN vs IPS: lots of people will swear that IPS look better than TN, but it depends on the model/brand/quality of the monitor. I've seen TN panels look better than IPS, especially if you're going to game on them. Don't let the TN vs IPS thing bother you, go off reviews for each model.

Hope this helps a bit.

Erik11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Erik11

@FelipeInside: Thank you. That helps a lot!

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

LG 4k OLED TV (biggest you can afford)

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 FelipeInside

@KHAndAnime said:

He's looking for a monitor, not a TV.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@Erik11: If you have large budget then I would say go with IPS gaming monitor, it comes with g-sync/freesync and high refresh rate.

If you're tight on budget I would go with IPS monitor with 5ms or lower.

Moved to Hardware forum

Avatar image for PfizersaurusRex
PfizersaurusRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 PfizersaurusRex
Member since 2012 • 1503 Posts

27" 1440p monitor makes most sense for me, for a desk anyway. You'll need GTX 1070 or better for that resolution. For games like TW3 response time is not that important, so don't worry about it, and like the others said, get a 144Hz G-sync monitor + Nvidia GPU, or a free-sync monitor + AMD GPU. Freesync is cheaper, but right now AMD doesn't offer a proper 1440p/4K GPU. They'll release some time this year.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By KHAndAnime

@FelipeInside said:
@KHAndAnime said:

TV's can be used as monitors. They're also often referred to as monitors (TV monitors).

In the OP he said "bigger is better". An LG OLED 65" or 77" would absolutely smoke any wimpy 27". It's like the difference between a Jaguar and a Honda Civic.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FelipeInside

@KHAndAnime said:
@FelipeInside said:
@KHAndAnime said:

TV's can be used as monitors. They're also often referred to as monitors (TV monitors).

In the OP he said "bigger is better". An LG OLED 65" or 77" would absolutely smoke any wimpy 27". It's like the difference between a Jaguar and a Honda Civic.

TVs can be used as monitors but from my experience they aren't as good. A TV is mainly made to watch TV/Movies etc, not play games (except on consoles but that's a lower standard)

Also LG. I've had two LGs TVs in the past and never buying one again. The user interface is crap, the remote controls have buttons in uncomfortable positions and both TVs had ghosting.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By KHAndAnime

@FelipeInside said:

TVs can be used as monitors but from my experience they aren't as good. A TV is mainly made to watch TV/Movies etc, not play games (except on consoles but that's a lower standard)

Also LG. I've had two LGs TVs in the past and never buying one again. The user interface is crap, the remote controls have buttons in uncomfortable positions and both TVs had ghosting.

The latest TV's have exceptionally better screen technology than what's in monitors these days. Monitors have quite a ways to catch up. The only great thing about monitors is high refresh rate and G-Sync, but 120 FPS TVs will be coming out in 2018 with the new HDMI spec.

For some games, high refresh rate might be preferred. But Witcher 3 is an RPG. It's not like the new DOOM or anything (but even that I'd probably use an OLED).

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 _SKatEDiRt_

@FelipeInside: what game looks worse in 4k than 1080?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 FelipeInside

@_SKatEDiRt_ said:

It depends on the monitor and game of course but some console ports look better at 1080/1440 than 4K cause the 4K pushes the resolution up to very high numbers but the textures can't keep up with it.

This will probably stop happening more often as time goes by since "4K" consoles are out and console developers now can play with more power to develop for them.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#18  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17806 Posts

@FelipeInside said:
@_SKatEDiRt_ said:

It depends on the monitor and game of course but some console ports look better at 1080/1440 than 4K cause the 4K pushes the resolution up to very high numbers but the textures can't keep up with it.

This will probably stop happening more often as time goes by since "4K" consoles are out and console developers now can play with more power to develop for them.

It is nice to have the texture detail to take advantage of higher resolutions, but the 4K image will still look better regardless if there are super high resolution textures or not. You will still get a crisper image with less jaggies and more noticeable detail in the geometry.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127503 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:
@FelipeInside said:

The latest TV's have exceptionally better screen technology than what's in monitors these days. Monitors have quite a ways to catch up. The only great thing about monitors is high refresh rate and G-Sync, but 120 FPS TVs will be coming out in 2018 with the new HDMI spec.

For some games, high refresh rate might be preferred. But Witcher 3 is an RPG. It's not like the new DOOM or anything (but even that I'd probably use an OLED).

Any TVs with low input lag? I can't use my TV because of high input lag. Dunno if it has a gaming mode that reduces it though.

for the Witcher I would suggest a IPS panel.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
deactivated-5bda06edf37ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By deactivated-5bda06edf37ee
Member since 2010 • 4675 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:
@FelipeInside said:
@KHAndAnime said:

I'll start using TV on my PC when they have G-Sync, which means never.

Size doesn't define the image quality. That's the dumbest thing i've read all day. Besides, i'd rather not use any bigger screen than 27" from 2-3 feet desktop distance, since i don't feel comfortable spinning me head around when viewing so close.

Thirdly, OLED is absolutely useless on PC use right now because of the burn-in issues. 8 or 10 bit IPS panel is the way to go atm.

I could find an 80" TV for less than a good 27" G-Sync IPS at 1440p, but i choose the latter anyday. You know why? Because it's better for desktop gaming.

EDIT: Also, TVs have more input lag than monitors.

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 _SKatEDiRt_

@groowagon: that is very true size does not make a better image. I have a 19" KDS Rad-9 that will blow my 27" samsung monitor to shreds in terms of color and image quality.