What is a good program to record PC game footage?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LordsLoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 LordsLoss
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts

I have FRAPS, but I don't like it. I was looking for a good program to record my in-game footage in 1080p. I don't mind paying for one if it is pretty good. I already have a video editor and plenty of room on my HDD for footage. Thanks.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts

FRAPS is generally the best, not sure why you don't like it. Some games have capture capabilities built in though.

LordsLoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 LordsLoss
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts
Something just dawned on me. Can you buy FRAPS and then have unlimited time to capture...I don't know why I just thought of this lol
Velocitas8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Velocitas8
Member since 2006 • 10748 Posts

Dxtory is the best DirectX/OpenGL recorder I've found.

You can record video at a framerate independent of your in-game framerate, and you can also set the resolution to anything you like. If you have multiple HDDs, you can use the "RawCap" feature to harness the combined write speed of all your capture HDDs (it splits the file and simultaneously writes different parts to each HDD. You combine them [with a utility built-in to Dxtory] when you're done recording.)

Another nice feature is that you can use 3rd party codecs. I personally use Lagarith, which is the best lossless codec to use if you have a nice processor (higher CPU use, but smaller file sizes.) The default Dxtory Video Codec is also pretty nice, but the default settings generate insane file sizes. (Best to check "compress" and use a YUV colorspace setting.)

It's one of the more expensive options out there, though. The price is $45-ish.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts
Something just dawned on me. Can you buy FRAPS and then have unlimited time to capture...I don't know why I just thought of this lolLordsLoss
Yes
jedikevin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#6 jedikevin2
Member since 2004 • 5263 Posts

FRAPS is generally the best, not sure why you don't like it. Some games have capture capabilities built in though.

ferret-gamer

Fraps is not the best to me. Its the most popular. The most indepth program is dxtory. If you want a great free program use hypercam 2.0 with divx codec. I would even put playclaw over Fraps. Until fraps learns you can untie in game FPS to video FPS, I find it hard to see Fraps as the best. Also, fully uncompressed videos is good but fraps def needs more options then that.