This topic is locked from further discussion.

ray22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ray22
Member since 2003 • 35 Posts

cpu i7-4790 3.60 ghz ram 16 go ddr3

hi . is it whorth upgrading a gtx 660 ti to a gtx 970.

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#2  Edited By neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts

@ray22 said:

If you use a monitor under a 1080p resolution - not really. Or, if you feel your current hardware's performance is at an acceptable level for you - not really.

If you do make the move, it will be a significant performance jump for you.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

yes its worth it..

you could sell your 660 and the 970 only costs about £250 ish...the upgrade would not be expensive and worthwhile.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12806 Posts

@ray22 said:

Nope, upgrade to R9 290.

But yes for your question either GTX970 or R9 290.

ray22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ray22
Member since 2003 • 35 Posts

should i go for ASUS or EVGA

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

@ray22 said:

Both are good, but really I would hold out until next year for a gpu upgrade by then Nvidia will have faster Maxwell's that are 20nm. and AMD will have their next line of gpu's.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12806 Posts

@ray22 said:

Asus STRIX - my favorite 970

vallonen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 vallonen
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

If you go for a new Nvidia card (such as the GTX 970) you could use your 660 as a dedicated physX card.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

@vallonen said:

If you go for a new Nvidia card (such as the GTX 970) you could use your 660 as a dedicated physX card.

Yes you can, However in my experience its useless when you have a high end gpu

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#10 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts

@ray22 said:

ASUS Strix or MSI Twin Frozr V.

vallonen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By vallonen
@04dcarraher said:

@vallonen said:

http://www.volnapc.com/all-posts/how-much-difference-does-a-dedicated-physx-card-make

I guess it can be both a hit and miss, It could still be worth trying out though.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#12 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

@04dcarraher said:

@vallonen said:

This. It will just be added power consumption. Modern day GPUs can handle the workload of physX in itself. I feel you'll be better off selling it and using that money to do whatever you want with it instead.

I recently purchased a GTX 970 and several online friends have as well and they're all VERY satisfied with it. Personally, I went with EVGA SC ACX 2.0 model, and I'm very satisfied. Low noise, even with my "wide open" HAF 932 case, and it maxes out the latest new releases like DA:I, Shadow of Mordor. And, I'm not just talking about "mixed" settings of ultra and high, or even medium. Max = ultra, MSAA 4x, etc, at 1080p. If you game at 1080p, you should be pretty happy with the results.

vallonen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By vallonen

Who cares about power consumption as a power user? It's not as if we're over at SPCR using Pico PSU's and 5200RPM hard drives tinkering around. In any case I say give it a try, if it doesn't work out he can always sell the card.

I don't know what a GTX 660 would go for on the aftermarket but I doubt it would be much, as such it could be more beneficial for OP to keep the card using it as a dedicated physX card together with the new card.

It's just an idea that's all.

I would have tried it myself had it not been for the fact that I'm using an ATI R9 290X.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#14  Edited By Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

@vallonen said:

Who cares about power consumption as a power user? It's not as if we're over at SPCR using Pico PSU's and 5200RPM hard drives tinkering around. In any case I say give it a try, if it doesn't work out he can always sell the card.

I don't know what a GTX 660 would go for on the aftermarket but I doubt it would be much, as such it could be more beneficial for OP to keep the card using it as a dedicated physX card together with the new card.

It's just an idea that's all.

I would have tried it myself had it not been for the fact that I'm using an ATI R9 290X.

Who cares about power consumption? Aren't we wasteful.

I cannot even dignify this with a response. But, I'll go ahead anyway.

Anyone that knows a bit about tech knows that dedicated physX cards are not worth it. Not even 10 years ago. Now, SLi would be worth it if you're gaming at maxed out settings. It would be smarter to sell the card and make some money back. Use that money and do something nice for someone you care about. There are hundreds of other things you can do with that money that would be better than using it as a physX card.

It's not even a nice idea if you really think about it. Go ahead and try if you were going to try it out anyway. Why ask or point it out if you're going to do it anyway. I was simply stating my opinion and it was a valid one. No need to get snappy.

Good. Stick with your "AMD" R9 290x.

vallonen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By vallonen

I have to say that that was a vaginal intro that came across as a bit passive aggressive.

Aren't we wasteful? Define wasteful please. What do you use as a reference point?

Not everyone knows that a dedicated PhysX card isn't worth it, by the way not worth it? Op already owns the card its not like I suggested he buy an extra card to be used for PhysX but judging by the findings made by the guy I linked too it seems to work fairly well.

As for selling the card being smarter all depends on what he can get for it, right? I think we all could agree on that. If the aftermarket value is poor than keeping it and try it out as a dedicated PhysX card would be a valid option. I think that a couple of hours of testing, as "wasteful" as that might be, would be ok.

I wanted to point out the option of what could be done with his 660, but at the end of the day it's OP's decision which route to take, not ours.

I didn't expect people to become so defensive about it.

Ninja edit.

Yeah I'm sticking to my ATI R9 290X, I thought about replacing it with a GTX 970 at first, but the 290 outperforms it and at a much lower cost. In fact, you can get a MSI Ligthning for $320. A no brainer unless you feel it's "wasteful". Also, I'm not sold on the 256Bit maxwells.