Ubisoft did it again

• 77 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kris9031998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 kris9031998
Member since 2008 • 7554 Posts

From dust = Ubisoft failing AGAIN.

Terrible controls, terrible port (THERE ARE NO GRAPHICS OPTIONS.), and worst of all. ALWAYS ON DRM. Whats worse this time is that they said it was one time only, but this happened. Thats it. I am FINISHED with ubisoft, this was just BS.

PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 PublicNuisance
Member since 2009 • 4582 Posts

Terrible controls, terrible port (THERE ARE NO GRAPHICS OPTIONS.), and worst of all. ALWAYS ON DRM. Whats worse this time is that they said it was one time only, but this happened. Thats it. I am FINISHED with ubisoft, this was just BS.

kris9031998

Thanks for the heads up. It's not my cup of tea but now I can warn my friends who are looking at the game.

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

Eh, won't stop me from getting it.

kris9031998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 kris9031998

Phoenix534
Also, the FPS limit is 30.
MythPro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 MythPro1
Member since 2003 • 2746 Posts

kris9031998
A random post from a random forum user is evidence the game contains "always on" DRM? Not good enough.
PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 PublicNuisance

http://store.steampowered.com/app/33460/?snr=1_4_4__13

"3rd-party DRM:Ubisoft Online Service"

Doesn't look good.

kris9031998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 kris9031998

[QUOTE="kris9031998"]

MythPro1

A random post from a random forum user is evidence the game contains "always on" DRM? Not good enough.

Here you go, here you go, and read this, the entire page of threads.

MythPro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MythPro1

[QUOTE="MythPro1"][QUOTE="kris9031998"]

kris9031998

Heh, someone screwed up. Royally.
kris9031998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kris9031998
[QUOTE="kris9031998"]

[QUOTE="MythPro1"] A random post from a random forum user is evidence the game contains "always on" DRM? Not good enough. MythPro1

Heh, someone screwed up. Royally.

And possibly this may be the highest amount of refunds for a game, ever. Thats my prediction, i mean the steam forums and the ubisoft forums are exploding.
ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

to bad I pre-ordered it and dling it now :S I actually hoped it'll be good, I like games where you have godlike powers

-CheeseEater-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 -CheeseEater-
Member since 2007 • 5258 Posts

Yeh I bought it thinking the game was in the clear. I was totally wrong :cry:

kris9031998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 kris9031998

to bad I pre-ordered it and dling it now :S I actually hoped it'll be good, I like games where you have godlike powers

ArchoNils2

Hilarious enough, the problems thread on the steam forums has been viewed over 52,000 times.

Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13 Dante2710
Member since 2005 • 63164 Posts

We are second-class citizens to Ubifosft, so I wasnt expecting anyting else. That is why i dont buy their games or wait for them to be dirt cheap. Im having a fun time with From Dust but the always on DRM and none of my saves actually synchronizing is becoming quite an annoyance.

MythPro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MythPro1

[QUOTE="ArchoNils2"]

kris9031998

Hilarious enough, the problems thread on the steam forums has been viewed over 52,000 times.

That's an old thread that's been converted. It was originally an informative thread about the game itself. It was changed into a "problems" thread today.

kris9031998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kris9031998
[QUOTE="kris9031998"]

[QUOTE="ArchoNils2"]

MythPro1

That's an old thread that's been converted. It was originally an informative thread about the game itself. It was changed today.

Then i have a feeling a good amount of people are disappointed.
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#16 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
damn, i started downloading it today. :(
Falconoffury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Falconoffury
Member since 2003 • 1722 Posts

This is very strange, because some games get the always on DRM, but other games from Ubisoft don't. I already know that Might and Magic Heroes 6 will have an offline mode. I am curious how this decision-making process goes.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

I learned long time ago that Ubi doesn't listen to gamers and worse, they lie to gamers. They fail at Business 101 and as most people have learned, make crappy games. The question is, when will gamers stop buying their garbage and spend it elsewhere?

mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#19 mhofever
Member since 2008 • 3960 Posts

Am I the only person here who is enjoying From Dust?

But what he says about the FPS lock is true, it's locked at 30. However, DRM is the same as AC Brotherhood or Splinter Cell, log in online once and you'd be able to play it offline afterwards.

The game itself IMO is addicting. I think I played it for 8 hours straight yesterday.

SouthyClare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SouthyClare
Member since 2009 • 359 Posts

Im enjoying it to. It is a good little game.I dont have a problem with DRM as im connect to the internet all the time. I can understand it can be anoying for people who cant always be connected to the internet though

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

- It requires Internet access when starting it, but it doesn't require a persistent connection. I unplugged my cable and played it just fine.

- It's a very low-budget game. If it sells well, it will get new content (editor, multiplayer etc.) and a disc version. I'm not complaining about the lack of graphical options given the circumstances.

- There are control options.

And there's something very wrong with people that don't play games because they don't have a graphics menu. As for the 30 fps lock, my guess is it has something to do with the physics engine's tick rate.

PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 PublicNuisance

- It requires Internet access when starting it, but it doesn't require a persistent connection. I unplugged my cable and played it just fine.

- It's a very low-budget game. If it sells well, it will get new content (editor, multiplayer etc.) and a disc version. I'm not complaining about the lack of graphical options given the circumstances.

And there's something very wrong with people that don't play games because they don't have a graphics menu. As for the 30 fps lock, my guess is it has something to do with the physics engine's tick rate.

Baranga

Deus Ex, a game that is 11 years old roughly, has graphics options. Budget is no excuse in my mind for lack of options.

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Baranga

[QUOTE="Baranga"]

PublicNuisance

Deus Ex, a game that is 11 years old roughly, has graphics options. Budget is no excuse in my mind for lack of options.

It is when you're on a shoestring budget and can't afford to create more assets and test new rendering modes. Or when the engine simply doesn't allow any changes because everything is intertwined, like in Darksiders.

heatfanman101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 heatfanman101
Member since 2008 • 2877 Posts

I've been playing it for a bit and I'm actually really enjoying the game, but these issues are very stupid. The FPS is capped at 30 FPS even though you can choose your refresh rate lol, and I now can't play it because the UPlay servers are down and the game has DRM. IF you are going to include DRM (which you shouldn't) then atleast have functional servers. I'm gonna go play Bastion, that game deserves more attention.

kris9031998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 kris9031998

Baranga
The control is bad because of the fact that you cant move with the WASD keys while doing things with your mouse. So if there is an emergency (tsunami) you have to do it by moving your mouse all the way there or using the WASD keys and risking a failure.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
My God... according to that evidence Ubisoft has just come out and plain LIED.... I was going to give this game a go... but I might spend my $15 on Bastion which is soooooooooooooo cuteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Is the game good at least? (From Dust I mean)
PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 PublicNuisance

It is when you're on a shoestring budget and can't afford to create more assets and test new rendering modes. Or when the engine simply doesn't allow any changes because everything is intertwined, like in Darksiders.

Baranga

Well as a proud PC gamer I like my options. I expect my options. Zeno Clash had options and it was a low budget game, Breach was a low budget game with options, Trine was a low budget game with options.

Dante2710

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#29 Dante2710
Member since 2005 • 63164 Posts
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]My God... according to that evidence Ubisoft has just come out and plain LIED.... I was going to give this game a go... but I might spend my $15 on Bastion which is soooooooooooooo cuteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Is the game good at least? (From Dust I mean)

The game is fun, but go ahead and buy Bastion. Might be a better purchase due to Ubisoft`s DRM acting up.
heatfanman101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 heatfanman101

My God... according to that evidence Ubisoft has just come out and plain LIED.... I was going to give this game a go... but I might spend my $15 on Bastion which is soooooooooooooo cuteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Is the game good at least? (From Dust I mean)FelipeInside

Gameplay wise I think it's good, the control system is basicly like trying to control a worm, almost like playing snake... but with lava and tsnuami's. I found it pretty entertaining dropping balls of lava and directing waterfalls onto my villager's head. These issues need to be fixed/removed though... I can deal with the controls fine, but the DRM and FPS cap aren't good. Also, get Bastion... it is fanstastic.

Falconoffury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Falconoffury
Member since 2003 • 1722 Posts

My God... according to that evidence Ubisoft has just come out and plain LIED....FelipeInside

So, have you finally taken the red pill? I have seen you tell people to stop whining about DRM before. If yes, welcome aboard!

jedikevin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#32 jedikevin2
Member since 2004 • 5263 Posts

"We are aware of some confusion over the inclusion of DRM in the release of From Dust on PC. To prevent any on-going confusion we would like to clarify From Dust PC will release with DRM requiring a one-time only online activation. After which you will be able to play the game offline. " - From dust Forum

Lets not overdo it on the DRM issue.. Other issues justifiable but this is not much of a issue...

kris9031998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 kris9031998

[QUOTE="kris9031998"][QUOTE="Baranga"]

FelipeInside

The control is bad because of the fact that you cant move with the WASD keys while doing things with your mouse. So if there is an emergency (tsunami) you have to do it by moving your mouse all the way there or using the WASD keys and risking a failure.

That's just retarded...

Oh? Well than try to get to a tsunami within the next 15 seconds then realizing that you arent moving at all.
kris9031998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 kris9031998

"We are aware of some confusion over the inclusion of DRM in the release of From Dust on PC. To prevent any on-going confusion we would like to clarify From Dust PC will release with DRM requiring a one-time only online activation. After which you will be able to play the game offline. " - From dust Forum

Lets not overdo it on the DRM issue.. Other issues justifiable but this is not much of a issue...

jedikevin2
Wrong. It ISNT one time only. Its every time.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]My God... according to that evidence Ubisoft has just come out and plain LIED....Falconoffury

So, have you finally taken the red pill? I have seen you tell people to stop whining about DRM before. If yes, welcome aboard!

I don't mind the DRM.... although I understand it's bad for people without the net. WHAT I DON'T ACCEPT under any circunstance is when devs straight out LIE about stuff.... that make me want to go Super Sayan....
Brean24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Brean24
Member since 2007 • 1659 Posts
[QUOTE="jedikevin2"]

kris9031998

Wrong, it is one time only, its not every time.
PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 PublicNuisance

[QUOTE="kris9031998"][QUOTE="jedikevin2"]

Brean24

Do either of you own it ? Anyone who actually owns it want to comment ?

kris9031998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 kris9031998

[QUOTE="Brean24"][QUOTE="kris9031998"] Wrong. It ISNT one time only. Its every time.PublicNuisance

I own it. Everytime, it has to use DRM.
PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 PublicNuisance

[QUOTE="PublicNuisance"]

[QUOTE="Brean24"] Wrong, it is one time only, its not every time.kris9031998

Then I trust you. I'll take the word of the man on the ground rather than articles.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
It's not always-on DRM, it's must be online to start DRM. Nearly as bad. The mouse control is pretty terrible. I'd feel better if I'd paid $10 for it, but it is a fun game.
heatfanman101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 heatfanman101

[QUOTE="PublicNuisance"]

[QUOTE="Brean24"] Wrong, it is one time only, its not every time.kris9031998

I own it aswell, and it appears to have constant DRM. I was just trying to play it, then it kicked me out of the game because the Uplay servers aren't working (it's not my internet obviously, i'm posting this right now lol)

theafiguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#42 theafiguy
Member since 2006 • 962 Posts
Well, I was thinking of getting it, but not anymore. Good to know. Thanks fellas.
xLittlekillx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 xLittlekillx
Member since 2005 • 1833 Posts

Get it on Xbox. It's very clearly the console the game was made for.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#44 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
.. That seems extreme for a low budget low priced game..
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Baranga

The control is bad because of the fact that you cant move with the WASD keys while doing things with your mouse. So if there is an emergency (tsunami) you have to do it by moving your mouse all the way there or using the WASD keys and risking a failure.kris9031998

You ARE that worm thing. You move faster as you zoom out. The movement is relative to the world, not to the screen. I don't see a problem. It's very similar to Defense Grid. WASD and mouse controls have the same speed anyway. I believe people complain because they expect a cIassic RTS control scheme. This doesn't play like a level editor... You're racing across the map and modifying things with large brush strokes. It's more like a puzzle game. You're not supposed to have perfect accuracy and it's very forgiving anyway.

In any case, turn off mouse scroll and tweak the sensibility. I use the default scheme and it works like a charm. If I was able to put out all the fires started by lava in the first volcano map, you can do it too.

Buy it on Xbox only if your Internet is a 56k modem connection or you take some sort of nebulous moral stance against Ubisoft. Otherwise enjoy the better graphics and controls. The game is good.

-CheeseEater-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 -CheeseEater-
Member since 2007 • 5258 Posts
I guess I'll wait till a crack comes out so I can play my purchased copy of the game without the blatantly stupid DRM. And guess what, the Ubi Servers are down..can't even play my game at the moment. Brilliant. Just brilliant.
Fairymittens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Fairymittens
Member since 2009 • 31 Posts

I just finished downloading the game - was an impulse buy honestly, only 15$.

After the 1.7gb installation, it installed fine, the Ubisoft online service came up - i already had it due to HoMM6 and other ubisoft games - activated the game no problem at all, took 2 seconds to accept my key.

Pressed play and bam, loaded the game.

After the first 5 or so levels i can say i am enjoying the game, i use the combination of WASD and mouse and it works for me, just had to get use to it though. The camera angle and movement can get annoying.

Graphical wise, well it would be nice to have a option system to customize as i got a beefy computer, but still looks good and works fine no worries, framerate issues or whatever. The ability to shift through the earth, add water, fire, sand etc is great, having a fun time. Along with the totem powers that open the game up abit more.

Will keep me occupied for a few days anyway.

Not the best, not the worst.

With the Ubisoft servers being down - well i don't have any problems and connecting to them just fine? I don't know :/

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 FelipeInside

After the 1.7gb installation, it installed fine, the Ubisoft online service came up - i already had it due to HoMM6 and other ubisoft games - activated the game no problem at all, took 2 seconds to accept my key.

After the first 5 or so levels i can say i am enjoying the game, i use the combination of WASD and mouse and it works for me, just had to get use to it though. The camera angle and movement can get annoying.

Graphical wise, well it would be nice to have a option system to customize as i got a beefy computer, but still looks good and works fine no worries, framerate issues or whatever. The ability to shift through the earth, add water, fire, sand etc is great, having a fun time. Along with the totem powers that open the game up abit more.

With the Ubisoft servers being down - well i don't have any problems and connecting to them just fine? I don't know :/

Fairymittens

Do you need a Ubisoft DRM account? or it just connects to their servers anonymously ....?

Phoenix534

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Phoenix534
Member since 2008 • 17774 Posts

[QUOTE="Phoenix534"]

kris9031998

Also, the FPS limit is 30.

Still won't stop me from buying it.

Fairymittens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Fairymittens
Member since 2009 • 31 Posts

[QUOTE="Fairymittens"]

FelipeInside

Do you need a Ubisoft DRM account? or it just connects to their servers anonymously ....?

I thought your Ubisoft account what you use for their website and so forth act as your DRM account? Because i logged into the service using the same info i would use if i wanted to post on the forums and so forth on their website - don't think there is a seperate DRM/Ubi account system.