To people who say stalker doesnt look good [56k]

• 124 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

StephenHu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#51 StephenHu
Member since 2003 • 2852 Posts
You have to check out all that detail, individual bricks, parallax mapping, or something just check out the washroom, there are fallen tiles, rust buildups on hte drainage pipes, and all the details that make an extremely detailed world, All i have seen in FEAR was plain rooms after another with a few props here and there
onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 onemic
Member since 2003 • 5616 Posts
[QUOTE="PredatorRules"][QUOTE="Letesmetty"][QUOTE="way2funny"]

[QUOTE="Letesmetty"]Looks bad. way2funny

then what looks good for you?

Games with good graphics.

such as F.E.A.R. or R6 Vegas? =)

vegas, yes, but FEAR? fear just has nice gore, and the textures are a lot better in stalker. THe lighting puts FEAR to shame as well

The lighting? FEAR's lighting is a whole lot better than stalkers. Have you even tried fear maxed out and with soft shadows? If your talking about level design though then that goes to STALKER as FEARs levels were extremely repeptitive.

Anyway the game still doesn't look as good as HL2 EP: 1 especially if you factor in stuff like FAKEFACTORY's cinematic mod.

Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#53 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts

The game looks good to me.

guun63

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#54 guun63
Member since 2004 • 45 Posts

I havend played the game yet. But from what i have seen Stalker looks amazing some few things look kinda strange, but for those who say Hl2 look better. Damn com'on and stop saying that **** i've finished Hl2 to many times :P. and Hl2 look good no doubt but its beginning to look old, say what you want but it is. Fear is also beginning to fall back to the group of dated games and the screen shots i've seen of Stalker is way better then Hl2 or Fear.

And for those who say Oblivion looks good, well i cant say they are wrong cuz all have there meaning about a game and its graphics, but in my opinion Oblivion looks like hell the shadows are bad looking and the characters can look good but mostly they look bad, but the world in oblivion looks absolutly amazing no doubt.

Stalker looks good for the standart today, NOT THE CRYSIS/BIOSHOCK standart they arent out yet so forget about those games for now.

my opinion ;)

greatmax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 greatmax1
Member since 2006 • 1868 Posts
it probably has the best lighting/shadowing of all games out right now. Just pull your flashlight out and watch all the shadows it draws on every object and character.
onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 onemic
it probably has the best lighting/shadowing of all games out right now. Just pull your flashlight out and watch all the shadows it draws on every object and character.greatmax1
A lot of games already do that. In fact any game with dynamic lighting does that.
way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#57 way2funny
Member since 2003 • 4570 Posts

Stalker doesnt look good.You have it on high with all the bells and whistles turned on,and prolly a few mods to enhance it even more.But if i take HL2 and turn on its hdr and shadows and stuff it looks way better than crappy STALKER.I have both games,and HL2 beats STALKER in all aspects.And,if you think this beats the 360,you my friend are a dumbass.*cough*GEARS of WAR*cough*.And it doesnt beat the ps3 either,hell god of war 2 on the ps2 looks better.own3r102

I dont have any mods turned on. Yeah no crap i have it on high, do you want me to take some screens of oblivion on low?

I said it looks better than half of the 360 and ps3 games. Do you know what half is? 

And obviously im not your friend, and you dont understand the point of this thread 

inyourface_12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 inyourface_12
Member since 2006 • 14757 Posts
id have to say the lighting effects are the best ever.  as far as anything else gos its dated but it looks very good to me
lycrof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 lycrof
Member since 2005 • 6393 Posts

To people who whine about graphics: I'm having fun!ShotGunBunny

Same. 

Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Meu2k7
Member since 2007 • 11809 Posts

[QUOTE="XBSHX"]it still doesn't look "good". its running on an engine they made like 4 years ago. It looks ok for a 4 year old engine but there are far better looking games out right now. So if there are games out that look better wouldn't that mean that STALKER doesn't look "good"way2funny

just cause there are better looking games, doesnt mean another game looks bad.

Stalker just doesnt look like its graphically better because of the style, but it is.

Its too dated, the quality of the Textures is up to scratch yea, but it looks un-realistic , il use the brick walls as an example, it doesnt look like a brick wall, it looks like Wallpaper of a textured brick wall. Now look at the difference on the up-coming Unreal 3 Engine: [link]http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=9091[/link] Now that "good Graphics" similar to gears of war, STALKER looks like an old Half-Life 2 Engine.
way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 way2funny
[QUOTE="way2funny"]

[QUOTE="XBSHX"]it still doesn't look "good". its running on an engine they made like 4 years ago. It looks ok for a 4 year old engine but there are far better looking games out right now. So if there are games out that look better wouldn't that mean that STALKER doesn't look "good"Meu2k7

Stalker just doesnt look like its graphically better because of the style, but it is.

Its too dated, the quality of the Textures is up to scratch yea, but it looks un-realistic , il use the brick walls as an example, it doesnt look like a brick wall, it looks like Wallpaper of a textured brick wall. Now look at the difference on the up-coming Unreal 3 Engine: [link]http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=9091[/link] Now that "good Graphics" similar to gears of war, STALKER looks like an old Half-Life 2 Engine.

it has a unique style, and it has to not have some graphical effects because of the huge envirement, but for what it is, stalker looks good, and has some of the best effects in pc gaming 

onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 onemic
[QUOTE="Meu2k7"][QUOTE="way2funny"]

[QUOTE="XBSHX"]it still doesn't look "good". its running on an engine they made like 4 years ago. It looks ok for a 4 year old engine but there are far better looking games out right now. So if there are games out that look better wouldn't that mean that STALKER doesn't look "good"way2funny

it has a unique style, and it has to not have some graphical effects because of the huge envirement, but for what it is, stalker looks good, and has some of the best effects in pc gaming

Huge environment? What huge environment? The game is split up into levels!
ardylicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 ardylicious
Member since 2004 • 1107 Posts
The mud textures look dated. On the other hand, the tiles look gorgeous. Vfanek
Yeah so dated they look like Resistance on ps3. I mean floor textures are a joke in that game.
hoket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 hoket
Member since 2005 • 232 Posts
they would look even better except they are saved as .jpgs and are suffering from horrible .jpg artifacting. next time save the screenshots as .png.
way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 way2funny
[QUOTE="way2funny"][QUOTE="Meu2k7"][QUOTE="way2funny"]

[QUOTE="XBSHX"]it still doesn't look "good". its running on an engine they made like 4 years ago. It looks ok for a 4 year old engine but there are far better looking games out right now. So if there are games out that look better wouldn't that mean that STALKER doesn't look "good"onemic

Huge environment? What huge environment? The game is split up into levels!

yeah not oblivion huge, but what other FPS has such a big enviroment and looks as good and has as many effects? Other than crysis. 

way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 way2funny
bump with some more pics

SunnySimantov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#67 SunnySimantov
Member since 2005 • 784 Posts
I don't have a beastly computer and I didn't see this game for real, but the screens put here are simply beautiful to watch as they look very realistic, I feel like looking at a high-quality photograph. Seriousely, I haven't tracked this game ever and the review is the first time I heard about this game. I didn't look at screens. Now I look at the screens in this thread and (without comparison to other games) I think it couldn't look better.
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#68 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
Only a fool would consider it a bad looking game, especially if you can run it maxed out. Even with static lighting and medium settings its comparable to HL2.
WARxSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 WARxSnake
Member since 2006 • 2154 Posts

How about people stop uselessly scrutinizing the graphics and just play the 6 year old game for what it is.

I've seen more user-submitted pics of close ups on bricks and ceramic tiles in the game than Britney spears upskirt shots, and that's bad.

the engine extensively uses normal mapping and dynamic lighting as its primary features, so does any current gen game, its just the low poly models, slightly blurred and outdated textures, and gritty atmosphere of the overall look that make it look like its ugly, when its really a decent looking game, far better looking and more technical than most fps engines out there.

take normal mapping away from any game, especially something like gears of war or doom3, and you loose close to 100% of the texture detail. All the detail that has been transferred from an 8million polygon model to a 5000polygon in-game character model has been done so with normal maps, and this game does a good job with that, especially on the scenery front. I've listed doom3 as an example because that game especially depended on normal mapping and the lighting used in conjunction with Nmapping, because if you look at polycounts on models and static meshes, they are abnormally low.

If you don't know what normal mapping is or how it works, you have no place discussing the potential of a current/next gen gaming engine, as it is one of the primary features of any of such game's engine.

anyway, its a good looking game, play it, if you don't think it looks good, no one will hold that against you, just don't b*tch so much and play something else you think looks good enough for you.

EntwineX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#70 EntwineX
Member since 2005 • 5858 Posts

It does look good, but the grey surrounding just don't do justice to it. A game even with a weaker graphics engine might appear prettier if it includes some scifi setting with huge glass buildings, big breasted leadies and several suns and moons in the sky.

For e.g. this screenshot looks pretty detailed and realistic to me:

But everything is grey, and the crosshair and interface are ugly, or at least old fashioned. You have to look much closer to notice the good things.

zbiggie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#71 zbiggie
Member since 2004 • 363 Posts
personally i feel that the enviroments are some of the most amazing looking ones out there, the character models when you look at them in or around the buildings seem to be cutouts but they by themselves look great, the only problem i had with this game has been the gun models where they really look bad unless you go on the higher graphics settings which isnt always posssible with some comps. Not for me since i do have a7900gtx but for others
AlexRadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 AlexRadu
Member since 2006 • 89 Posts

Imo I say STALKER is a hell of a game and some of u ppl should shut up and be happy u can run games like these maxed out. u cant compare stalker which is an open-environment game(like oblivion, though personally stalker > oblivion) to HL.... HL is a linear game... hello!? and still i say stalker is far better than HL of course with maybe a few negative things.

onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 onemic

Imo I say STALKER is a hell of a game and some of u ppl should shut up and be happy u can run games like these maxed out. u cant compare stalker which is an open-environment game(like oblivion, though personally stalker > oblivion) to HL.... HL is a linear game... hello!? and still i say stalker is far better than HL of course with maybe a few negative things.

AlexRadu
STALKER is no where near being an open-ended game like oblivion. Do you even have the game?
tomjacobs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 tomjacobs
Member since 2003 • 462 Posts
[QUOTE="AlexRadu"]

onemic

STALKER is no where near being an open-ended game like oblivion. Do you even have the game?

I suggest you re-read his post. Slowly. He's not saying open-ended, but open-environment, as opposed to a game that renders corridor-like levels. STALKER is capable of rendering huge distances, like Oblivion, Far Cry and maybe a few others I don't know about. You can pull out your binoculars and look at a building in the distance and it still looks freaking detailed.

Oh, and on a different note, something amazing I've noticed with STALKER's real-time shadows: They actually follow the bumps and holes created by the parallax mapping; for instance when a shadow is projected on a bumpy concrete wall, look closely at the shadow's edge. It's not a straight line like in Doom3, but rather it's deformed by the parallax map on the concrete wall. That's something I haven't seen in any game to date, and it looks freaking incredible. Correct me if I'm wrong. I think the dynamic lighting, combined with the extensive use of parallax maps, creates the most atmospheric ambience I've ever witnessed in a game. Much better than in for instance HL2, even if the characters in that game look much more lifelike.

Cheers,

T.

Avatar image for banjobear_basic
banjobear_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#75 banjobear_basic
Member since 2002 • 2643 Posts
Half-life 2 looks better. I play it on an HDTV and it looks better than those pics you posted
TrueReligion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 TrueReligion_
Member since 2006 • 11037 Posts
There are many games that look better than STALKER, but the graphics are good nonetheless. My only beef with the game are the gun models.
pigman239

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 pigman239
Member since 2004 • 608 Posts
oblivion looks good. crysis looks good. UTIII looks good.  this would have looked "Good" 3 years ago.  now it looks...standard at best.
Liliroots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#78 Liliroots
Member since 2004 • 1411 Posts

It's not DX10 good but it is still "like" HL2. Compare the graphics from STALKER to HL2, STALKER gets a bonus because HL2 is ALSO DX9. And for a bonus to get STALKER, you live in a world that goes on not by player activating triggers but by players just playing if you know what I mean. It's a "free" world compare to HL2 whereas HL2 is a narrow path with story. I'm not saying this to say anything about HL2. I like HL2. I'm just saying this because if you compare those two, not by graphics but overall, I think STALKER will dominate(overall). And as for people who thinks it looks bad, yea it's from 4 years ago and it looks pretty dam good for an engine that was 4 years ago but seriously maybe the engine is ahead of its time and now it comes out just with a DX9 graphics...so? You play games because of graphics? You JUDGE on it? Answer those.

Please don't make examples of Crysis, UTIII, or games that haven't even come out yet. You don't even know the release date for those games! Sure Oblivion looks great, and compare with this, I think they are one of the same. One of the kind that looks great and feels great and plays great. Thought about those? Go play it and see if the graphics in this game make a huge difference.

jeffreee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 jeffreee
Member since 2004 • 200 Posts

"Plenty of games look better than this.  This would be consider good I would think a few years ago.  Sorry but if you think this looks "good" then your standards are low.  However, I imagine it's still a great game."

Funny how the homos keep saying this, yet fail to give en example of a game.

TROLLS...

Game looks great, nice screens man.

onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 onemic
[QUOTE="onemic"][QUOTE="AlexRadu"] Oh, and on a different note, something amazing I've noticed with STALKER's real-time shadows: They actually follow the bumps and holes created by the parallax mapping; for instance when a shadow is projected on a bumpy concrete wall, look closely at the shadow's edge. It's not a straight line like in Doom3, but rather it's deformed by the parallax map on the concrete wall. That's something I haven't seen in any game to date, and it looks freaking incredible. Correct me if I'm wrong. I think the dynamic lighting, combined with the extensive use of parallax maps, creates the most atmospheric ambience I've ever witnessed in a game. Much better than in for instance HL2, even if the characters in that game look much more lifelike.

Cheers,

T.

tomjacobs
Every game with dynamic shadows does that. HL2 doesn't since it still uses static lighting. The lighting is still great though, but for the huge performance hit it has on a PC it's not really worth it.
onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 onemic

"Plenty of games look better than this. This would be consider good I would think a few years ago. Sorry but if you think this looks "good" then your standards are low. However, I imagine it's still a great game."

TROLLS...

jeffreee
Okay, R6 vegas, GRAW, GRAW 2, HL2: EP 1 and 2 (especially if you factor in texture mods by fakefactory) Oblivion, company of heroes....Need I go on?
way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 way2funny
[QUOTE="jeffreee"]

"Plenty of games look better than this. This would be consider good I would think a few years ago. Sorry but if you think this looks "good" then your standards are low. However, I imagine it's still a great game."

TROLLS...

onemic

Okay, R6 vegas, GRAW, GRAW 2, HL2: EP 1 and 2 (especially if you factor in texture mods by fakefactory) Oblivion, company of heroes....Need I go on?

None of those games' effects and lighting match up to STALKERS. The textures are high res, and very detailed, except the style of the graphics are very grainy and washed out, so it looks like it doesnt look as good, but it is. Its just the style to give it a mood. 

PaverPopPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 PaverPopPC
Member since 2006 • 565 Posts

Just all this makes me never want to pick up STALKER. Wait, I wasn't planning on picking it up anyways! :D

All this STALKER stuff needs to stop, who cares. STALKER is a decent looking game, nothing more. STALKER is an average game, nothing more. Games like HL2, CoH, ES:4, CRYSIS all are graphically advanced, far more than STALKER. I swear it is sad that only today people care SO SO much about how the game looks, rather than the game itself.

STALKER, it is official, you suck, nothing more, NEVER MORE.

way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 way2funny

Just all this makes me never want to pick up STALKER. Wait, I wasn't planning on picking it up anyways! :D

All this STALKER stuff needs to stop, who cares. STALKER is a decent looking game, nothing more. STALKER is an average game, nothing more. Games like HL2, CoH, ES:4, CRYSIS all are graphically advanced, far more than STALKER. I swear it is sad that only today people care SO SO much about how the game looks, rather than the game itself.

STALKER, it is official, you suck, nothing more, NEVER MORE.

PaverPopPC

Half life 2 and CoH is not more graphically advanced. You said yourself you havent even picked it up, so how would u know how it really looks, and the atmosphere it creates. I havent seen anything more amazing than a thunderstorm in the middle of the woods in Stalker. Anyway, i made this thread to show people stalker's graphics arent crappy. Its still the most unique shooter ive played in years. 

onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 onemic
[QUOTE="onemic"][QUOTE="jeffreee"]

TROLLS...

way2funny

None of those games' effects and lighting match up to STALKERS. The textures are high res, and very detailed, except the style of the graphics are very grainy and washed out, so it looks like it doesnt look as good, but it is. Its just the style to give it a mood.

Effects? What effects does stalker have? I repeat for the millionth time dynamic lighting isn't exclusive to stalker! If you want a game that has dynamic lighting that's on par with stalker just look at FEAR. I'm not saying stalker looks like crap, but it definitely isn't the best in graphics or in lighting.(although in the lighting category it does come close)
way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 way2funny
[QUOTE="way2funny"][QUOTE="onemic"][QUOTE="jeffreee"]

TROLLS...

onemic

Effects? What effects does stalker have? I repeat for the millionth time dynamic lighting isn't exclusive to stalker! If you want a game that has dynamic lighting that's on par with stalker just look at FEAR. I'm not saying stalker looks like crap, but it definitely isn't the best in graphics or in lighting.

I have FEAR, STALKER stomps it down like nothing. HAve you seen the explosions in stalker? have you seen the fire effects? have you seen the lightening storms? FEAR has great lighting, but everything else about that game is plain, from graphics to gameplay. 

greatmax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 greatmax1
Member since 2006 • 1868 Posts
[QUOTE="way2funny"][QUOTE="onemic"][QUOTE="jeffreee"]

TROLLS...

onemic

Effects? What effects does stalker have? I repeat for the millionth time dynamic lighting isn't exclusive to stalker! If you want a game that has dynamic lighting that's on par with stalker just look at FEAR. I'm not saying stalker looks like crap, but it definitely isn't the best in graphics or in lighting.

in FEAR your flashlight doesnt draw a 2nd or 3rd shadow on objects or even the environment.
PaverPopPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 PaverPopPC
Member since 2006 • 565 Posts

Well that is one out of hundreds. Even though I have yet to play STALKER, I had looked at so many posts. Each saying MAJOR Problems! STALKER is not that great! Besides, you make a thread on graphics, yet comment on the atmosphere.

You may want to argue that STALKER is an overall good game, not the graphics. Maybe four years ago, the graphics were as good as they get, not anymore.

It just baffles me that you can say Half Life 2 is not advanced. That game still looks great even to this day, even though it was released 3 years ago. STALKER, however, does not share the same fate.

way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 way2funny

Well that is one out of hundreds. Even though I have yet to play STALKER, I had looked at so many posts. Each saying MAJOR Problems! STALKER is not that great! Besides, you make a thread on graphics, yet comment on the atmosphere.

You may want to argue that STALKER is an overall good game, not the graphics. Maybe four years ago, the graphics were as good as they get, not anymore.

It just baffles me that you can say Half Life 2 is not advanced. That game still looks great even to this day, even though it was released 3 years ago. STALKER, however, does not share the same fate.

PaverPopPC

i never said half life 2 is not advanced, i just said its not advanced as Stalker.. The atmosphere yes, well the graphics and style used for the graphics make the atmosphere. The only problems with stalker is that its buggy, and i agree, but theres so many unique things to it, that it doesnt matter. I havent had this much fun with an FPS in a while. IT is that great. Yes you have not yet played stalker, so why are you commenting talking about the problems of it when you havent even tried it for yourself? I on the other hand have been playing it for several weeks. 

WARxSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 WARxSnake
Member since 2006 • 2154 Posts
omg who cares WHO CARES
onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 onemic
[QUOTE="onemic"][QUOTE="way2funny"][QUOTE="onemic"][QUOTE="jeffreee"]

TROLLS...

way2funny

I have FEAR, STALKER stomps it down like nothing. HAve you seen the explosions in stalker? have you seen the fire effects? have you seen the lightening storms? FEAR has great lighting, but everything else about that game is plain, from graphics to gameplay.

I have both games. And yes I've seen the lighting storms. As I've said Stalker is definitely up there in terms of lighting, but the performance hit is way too severe. They barely optimized the game at all and this is a damn 4 year old engine we're talking about! In terms of effects though I don't think anyone can deny that FEAR has by far the best effects right now. From explosions, to decals, to blood, STALKER just can't compare.
way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 way2funny
[QUOTE="way2funny"][QUOTE="onemic"][QUOTE="way2funny"][QUOTE="onemic"][QUOTE="jeffreee"]

TROLLS...

onemic

I have both games. And yes I've seen the lighting storms. As I've said Stalker is definitely up there in terms of lighting, but the performance hit is way too severe. They barely optimized the game at all and this is a damn 4 year old engine we're talking about! In terms of effects though I don't think anyone can deny that FEAR has by far the best effects right now. From explosions, to decals, to blood, STALKER just can't compare.

Fear has really cartoony effects, from gunshots to explosions, STALKER's effects are a lot more realistic.  

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kHExvMtgMLk 

yes, it looks really nice, but the fire looks really cartoony.

im currently looking for a stalker explosion, if i dont find one ill take a screen or a vid 

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#93 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts
I completely agree. With how much people were down-talking the graphics, I was ready for a crappy-looking but fun game. Then I installed it, maxed out my graphics, started a new game, and I was floored. I was like, "DAMN". This looks FANTASTIC. It's obviously not the greatest looking game ever, but it looks sooo much better than people seemed to be expecting, and more than competes with any other modern game. Plus, graphics aside, it's one of the best games I've ever played.
way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 way2funny

I completely agree. With how much people were down-talking the graphics, I was ready for a crappy-looking but fun game. Then I installed it, maxed out my graphics, started a new game, and I was floored. I was like, "DAMN". This looks FANTASTIC. It's obviously not the greatest looking game ever, but it looks sooo much better than people seemed to be expecting, and more than competes with any other modern game. Plus, graphics aside, it's one of the best games I've ever played.the_bi99man

Thats all im trying to prove. Im not saying its the best looking game, im just saying its really not as bad as everyone keeps saying, on the contrary, its a pretty darn good looking game in its own right 

onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 onemic

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]I completely agree. With how much people were down-talking the graphics, I was ready for a crappy-looking but fun game. Then I installed it, maxed out my graphics, started a new game, and I was floored. I was like, "DAMN". This looks FANTASTIC. It's obviously not the greatest looking game ever, but it looks sooo much better than people seemed to be expecting, and more than competes with any other modern game. Plus, graphics aside, it's one of the best games I've ever played.way2funny

Thats all im trying to prove. Im not saying its the best looking game, im just saying its really not as bad as everyone keeps saying, on the contrary, its a pretty darn good looking game in its own right

The main reason why people(including me) Are hating on the graphics is because of the games extremely poor optimization. The game is so unoptimized that even high end 7 series(7800+) Are reporting performance problems running the game in dynamic lighting mode. This causes most people(including me) to be forced to play under static lighting mode, and I think everyone can agree that the game doesn't look that good when playing in that mode.
X360PS3AMD05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#96 X360PS3AMD05
Member since 2005 • 36320 Posts
Looks good to me, but i've only been a hermit for 8 months.
way2funny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 way2funny
[QUOTE="way2funny"]

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]I completely agree. With how much people were down-talking the graphics, I was ready for a crappy-looking but fun game. Then I installed it, maxed out my graphics, started a new game, and I was floored. I was like, "DAMN". This looks FANTASTIC. It's obviously not the greatest looking game ever, but it looks sooo much better than people seemed to be expecting, and more than competes with any other modern game. Plus, graphics aside, it's one of the best games I've ever played.onemic

The main reason why people(including me) Are hating on the graphics is because of the games extremely poor optimization. The game is so unoptimized that even high end 7 series(7800+) Are reporting performance problems running the game in dynamic lighting mode. This causes most people(including me) to be forced to play under static lighting mode, and I think everyone can agree that the game doesn't look that good when playing in that mode.

Im not talking about optimization, im just saying if you have the guts to run it, it looks VERY good. Tats the only point im trying to make.  

onemic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 onemic
[QUOTE="onemic"][QUOTE="way2funny"]

[QUOTE="the_bi99man"]I completely agree. With how much people were down-talking the graphics, I was ready for a crappy-looking but fun game. Then I installed it, maxed out my graphics, started a new game, and I was floored. I was like, "DAMN". This looks FANTASTIC. It's obviously not the greatest looking game ever, but it looks sooo much better than people seemed to be expecting, and more than competes with any other modern game. Plus, graphics aside, it's one of the best games I've ever played.way2funny

Im not talking about optimization, im just saying if you have the guts to run it, it looks VERY good. Tats the only point im trying to make.

but most people don't got the hardware to run it. That's the thing. Barely anyone has 8 series card and not that many people have highe end 7 series cards. Even then normal 7800 users are reporting problems running the game with dynamic lighting.
HupHupOranje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 HupHupOranje
Member since 2006 • 1450 Posts
Gameplay > Story/Atmosphere > Graphics
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#100 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58529 Posts

Indoors the game looks equal to Halflife 2: the textures are nice, and environmental effects are nice as well.

Character models are extremely outdated to me however, especially considering how beautiful FEAR's and HL 2's look.  Also, outside environments have a very grainy look and I Have textures on max.

The game still looks fine to me, perfectly acceptable even with all the big-budget beauties we have today (Vegas, Oblivion, FEAR, etc).

Just dont get me started on the poor dynamic lighting STALKER has....that will slow down that fastest of rigs.  I Have a 7600GT and with it on, I got under 25FPs at 1280x1024 or whatever widescreen is.  With it turned off, I get 50+ fps at 1600x1050 with everything on high.  Something is definately wrong with that...