Titanfall beta thoughts

• 126 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

I just got into the beta and let me just say I'm really surprised and a little let down by the graphics quality.

I was hoping to try it out with my GTX470 even though it was old (but just the day before it died, artifacting and everything) so I had to revert to my really old 8800GTS (512) and WTF at the game...

A 7yr old GPU is running the game at 1200p with a mix of medium and low, most options are medium, just the texture and something else is low, and at 60fps... I was expecting all low at 30fps or something.

Is the source engine really that good?

tl:dr

7yr old GPU running game at 60fps on medium

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Arthas045
Member since 2005 • 5800 Posts

I always liked the Source Engine. Granted it is a little dated now.

cyloninside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By cyloninside
Member since 2014 • 815 Posts

welcome to a source engine game..... graphics of 2005.

GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4  Edited By GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12803 Posts

@GTR12 said:

I just got into the beta and let me just say I'm really surprised and a little let down by the graphics quality.

Textures look like sh^t, well you can compare them to MGR.

I've seen better textures on the upcoming Resident Evil 4 HD version.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46280 Posts

Post some screenshots if you want :)

Was hoping to get into the beta to see if the game was anything for me. Not going to buy the game to find that out, oh well.

edit: nevermind. I got a beta code just now. It's a 12GB download, I'm expecting a lot :P

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By R4gn4r0k

Ok, the beta is pretty amazing. Apart from some minor complaints.

Graphics are pretty good I would say, they are definitely not disturbingly bad or anything. The backdrops look really nice.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Arthas045

@R4gn4r0k: Man thats awesome congrats on the beta.... I have yet to receive an email.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

@Arthas045 said:

I always liked the Source Engine.

Ditto. Most of the titles Valve make are highly stylized and tend to look quite beautiful. Even older games like Vamp and Dark Messiah look nice. From the footage of this game I have seen (Titan Fall) it seriously just looks like shit,.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 R4gn4r0k

@Arthas045:

Thanks man :)

I was worried that I wouldn't get in the beta because I didn't get one at first; but apparently they will be sending out codes in batches until monday. I hope you, and as much people as possible get in the beta too.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 uninspiredcup

As someone who has disregarded the media hype as bullshit propaganda, I'm curious as to you fellows and your thoughts on the game (who have played it). Is it the end of all ends?

Croag821

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Croag821
Member since 2009 • 2331 Posts

@GTR12 said:

I was hoping to try it out with my GTX470 even though it was old (but just the day before it died, artifacting and everything) so I had to revert to my really old 8800GTS (512) and WTF at the game...

A 7yr old GPU is running the game at 1200p with a mix of medium and low, most options are medium, just the texture and something else is low, and at 60fps... I was expecting all low at 30fps or something.

Is the source engine really that good?

tl:dr

7yr old GPU running game at 60fps on medium

So your disappointed the game runs well?

It's like if a PC gamer can't run a game it's un-optimized and if a game runs great it has bad graphics haha. But seriously the game does run on a dated engine. I expect it to look clean but not to look amazing.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

I like that the game performs really well, it runs like lightning on my machine. I think that is a really smart decision so that more players can get access to it. As for source engine, it's been used fairly well. It doesn't really feel like a source game much. The maps, guns and movement makes it feel more like call of duty.

As for the game there are lag issues because apparently no dedicated servers in Australia yet (possibly never). This was really obvious in killcams which were jittery and my actions weren't' really matching with what I saw. I wish the titans were rarer, every 2 mins or less is really overkill in a 10 minute round. I feel that all the bots can make for a disappointing game. You get the drop on some enemy and find out it's a bot that recently donated his brain. Despite the fact that Titans can be kinda fun to pilot, I find my Titan being killed really quickly unless I camp. Thus I prefer to be on ground and have the Titan follow me around. That might not be the case with the other Titan types or as I get better.

Game definitely seems to keep you occupied with bots or pilots or titans. It also bombards you with audio messages like how you approach the next hardpoint. I feel like it could be easy to get burned out on this game. You see a lot of stuff in one short round and face a ton of bots. Gunplay is alright I guess, again very cod like but the 120+ pings were doing me no favors. Probably play some more but the beta hasn't drastically changed my opinion.

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

I think the beta has been great so far. I love the way the titans feel. They feel incredibly powerful, but also fragile if you get overwhelmed. One of the best parts of this game is jumping onto an enemys titan and start blasting away at its computer systems.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

@nutcrackr said:

I like that the game performs really well, it runs like lightning on my machine. I think that is a really smart decision so that more players can get access to it. As for source engine, it's been used fairly well. It doesn't really feel like a source game much. The maps, guns and movement makes it feel more like call of duty.

As for the game there are lag issues because apparently no dedicated servers in Australia yet (possibly never). This was really obvious in killcams which were jittery and my actions weren't' really matching with what I saw. I wish the titans were rarer, every 2 mins or less is really overkill in a 10 minute round. I feel that all the bots can make for a disappointing game. You get the drop on some enemy and find out it's a bot that recently donated his brain. Despite the fact that Titans can be kinda fun to pilot, I find my Titan being killed really quickly unless I camp. Thus I prefer to be on ground and have the Titan follow me around. That might not be the case with the other Titan types or as I get better.

Game definitely seems to keep you occupied with bots or pilots or titans. It also bombards you with audio messages like how you approach the next hardpoint. I feel like it could be easy to get burned out on this game. You see a lot of stuff in one short round and face a ton of bots. Gunplay is alright I guess, again very cod like but the 120+ pings were doing me no favors. Probably play some more but the beta hasn't drastically changed my opinion.

I agree with most of your points.

I was amazed at how smooth the beta ran (it's basically the final product), but I too had ping issues being in Australia. Didn't stop me from finishing first in 8 out of 12 matches though, lol...

The graphics are fine for the engine used. It's no Crysis but it will run good for most setups.

For those on the fence, the game is basically COD with Bots running around and Mechs. I agree the Mech drops are too often, so they either have to decide to make them harder to take down or make the round longer. They are not easy to fight with either, a good pilot will have his Mech last a long time, while another pilot will get killed fast. I too leave my Mech guarding POINT B (I play Domination) while I run around capturing the other points.

I don't mind the bots running around. They are not the smartest but I think it's on purpose so players that are not that good can at least get kills and points and feel like they are helping.

Also, FINALLY a game that rewards DEFENSE as much as OFFENSE. The scoreboard has points for both, and your position on the table depends on both.

The controls run perfect, responsive and fast. The parlour also works good.

I don't know if I'll buy it or not, I'm a bit burned out on online FPS and ESO is coming which really surprised me so might use my money for that.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By FelipeInside
@uninspiredcup said:

As someone who has disregarded the media hype as bullshit propaganda, I'm curious as to you fellows and your thoughts on the game (who have played it). Is it the end of all ends?

No it isn't, but it IS trying to do a few new things since every online FPS has just gone the COD route now.

The parlour mechanics, the bots which you can hack, the difference in playstyle inside a mech and outside, etc.

Game is frantic crazy fun.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By GTR12

@nutcrackr:

I'm in Australia as well and don't have a big issue with pings, ~25-40 per game.

I think I'll let other people post screenshots, it doesn't look too pretty on medium anyway.

@FelipeInside I think it will run on basically any setup, not just most ;)

Its like WoW optimized and spec'd.

Anyone got a XP laptop to compare?

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

The gameplay is very smooth. shooting mechanics are more like MW1 than the garbage that came after it. free-running ect works perfectly well. titans are pretty cool.

Graphics are not that bad, you people need to wash your eyes out. it doesn't push any boundaries not, but like any GOOD source engine game it looks very very sharp... so does the artstyle. theres no blur of colours and crap you find in CoD.

overall, a very smooth game, I really wish it would replace cod. but the game modes ect are lacking.... I don't know what would keep me playing for a long time.

They spoke of this "story driven multiplayer" .... yet why is there no "attack/defend objectives mode" like in old respawn games like Wolf/Quake ET? the game mechanics would suit it perfectly... oh welll.... maybe in Titanfall 2 or 3.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

It doesn't run very smooth for me, I get blazing frame rates but it stutters, the friend I played with had the same issue. The game isn't for me, very chaotic and fast paced with low recoil weapons. Bots are just nuisances for the most part. The infantry combat doesn't feel as smooth as Call of Duty and the mech combat isn't as good as something like Hawken. I found I was getting caught up on the terrain as a mech and often friendly mechs would come up behind me and prevent me from escaping to safety when things got hairy.

All my games were 100+ ping, seems all the NA servers are located on the east coast.

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

The game is very intense and I love the how easy the parkour is to get a handle of. And yes having no Australian server is really confusing and kinda makes me think they just don't care about us, developers like leaving us out for some reason. Anywho, I had to put all the graphics to low to get a constant 60FPS which makes me believe the game may use the CPU more than the GPU but that's just my hunch.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By FelipeInside

@blangenakker said:

The game is very intense and I love the how easy the parkour is to get a handle of. And yes having no Australian server is really confusing and kinda makes me think they just don't care about us, developers like leaving us out for some reason. Anywho, I had to put all the graphics to low to get a constant 60FPS which makes me believe the game may use the CPU more than the GPU but that's just my hunch.

They are looking into local Servers, the closest ones are the Singapore MS Azure servers but I believe there aren't any in Australia so that's why.

redskins26rocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By redskins26rocs
Member since 2009 • 2674 Posts

The game seemed to be running bad at first so I tested it in the training mode (turns out the lobby was just extremely laggy for me), and for some reason even with vsync off fraps was saying 60 fps (the game is almost unbearable if I turn it off) and it was the same with both double and triple buffer. It is very easy to run considering I can run it maxed out with 16x Q CSAA and triple buffer on a GTX 760, which considering the graphics that is not really shocking.

The game was a blast after I quit having server issues for like 20 minutes. It was fast paced and other than shooting mechanics that feel pulled from COD it feels quite fresh. Sadly though for some reason the game cant find any servers, hope it is fixed soon.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GTR12

@FelipeInside said:

@blangenakker said:

They are looking into local Servers, the closest ones are the Singapore MS Azure servers but I believe there aren't any in Australia so that's why.

Its been confirmed for awhile now.

http://games.on.net/2013/06/titanfall-confirms-dedicated-servers-local-australian-support-read-our-e3-impressions/

Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#23 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts

The game has very enjoyable free running mechanics and the mech combat is fairly engaging, but the infantry combat is just awful and doesn't feel thought out at all. The bots are an interesting addition from an atmospheric perspective (even mentioning the 'pilots' as you run past them), but they are horrible for the gameplay. They don't provide any challenge, don't add to the gameplay at all, and there's so many of them they just clutter the battlefield. Other than that, it's a fairly well polished game.

Overall, I don't think I'll be dropping money on this game anytime soon.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

so the beta textures are at 25% too or they lied about alpha textures and this abomination is actually how the final game looks like? cuz i saw ppl play it maxed out and it looked on par with MW1 on pc...

EatShanna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By EatShanna
Member since 2008 • 875 Posts

It's not satisfying, you run around stomping braindead bots and the occasional human player.

Respawn succeeded in creating a game that's an even bigger ego boost than CoD.

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#26  Edited By biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts

I really wanted to like this one. Its not terrible. I just don't see it being a COD killer. It might be okay if you're just looking for a fairly mindless arcade shooter and don't look too hard at its flaws. If people want that sort of shooter that's fine.

Personally, I think they haven't got the basics right here. The guns feel pretty flat, there's no recoil, the bot AI is poor. No server browsers, long waiting times, poor matchmaking and unbalanced rounds. The frame rate was dropping to around 40 FPS with AA and texture filtering on.

Sometimes there's just so much happening on screen, this is mostly when you're in a Titan, that you can't even see whats happening.

Take away the Titans and you're twitch killing, capturing points but with a bit of wall running. The formula is there but it should have been better.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By FelipeInside

@silversix_ said:

so the beta textures are at 25% too or they lied about alpha textures and this abomination is actually how the final game looks like? cuz i saw ppl play it maxed out and it looked on par with MW1 on pc...

@GTR12 said:

@FelipeInside said:

@blangenakker said:

Its been confirmed for awhile now.

http://games.on.net/2013/06/titanfall-confirms-dedicated-servers-local-australian-support-read-our-e3-impressions/

WOOP WOOP !!!

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 FelipeInside
@silversix_ said:

I don't know if the textures are lowered for the beta, but it doesn't look like MW1 either.

Game looks fine, nothing amazing or next-gen, but good enough to not bother me... and runs great because of it on most machines.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

@FelipeInside said:
@silversix_ said:

I don't know if the textures are lowered for the beta, but it doesn't look like MW1 either.

Game looks fine, nothing amazing or next-gen, but good enough to not bother me... and runs great because of it on most machines.

When you're boarding an enemy titan, pay attention to the metal pieces you're shooting/holding. It looks worst than bad, its unbelievably low res... Like this is ps360 textures on pc and the only better thing you're getting is high resolution. I don't know what the **** they were thinking but this looks x3 worst than CoD ghosts which looked laughable.

_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

titanfall? you mean the new COD?

rogelio22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 rogelio22
Member since 2006 • 2477 Posts

Game is fun!!! Wish I would've got into the xb1 beta instead of the pc... cause the 1080p is gonna spoil me... since im picking this up on xbox for the friends thing! Well it plays great 1080p x2 msaa maxxed out @ 60fps with occasional stutter (drivers prob) on a i52500k/gtx770

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

I watched TB's video. Looks really fun. Still waiting for a final verdict.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By FelipeInside

@silversix_ said:

@FelipeInside said:
@silversix_ said:

When you're boarding an enemy titan, pay attention to the metal pieces you're shooting/holding. It looks worst than bad, its unbelievably low res... Like this is ps360 textures on pc and the only better thing you're getting is high resolution. I don't know what the **** they were thinking but this looks x3 worst than CoD ghosts which looked laughable.

Yes, there are some low textures here and there but generally the game looks fine. Do people really put THAT much emphasis on graphics? Next gen games like BF4 and Witcher 2/3 have low res textures in some places?

Personally if the game is good fun I really don't let some lower textures bother me. And really, at the speed this game goes, you're not stopping and looking at the textures, lol...

awax187187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 awax187187
Member since 2005 • 277 Posts

I love the game everything that's in it I like, I pre ordered the game probably like 5 games playing the BETA. Only bad thing about it is the servers in Australia. I run everything on MAX and its fine for me but my PC is loading non stop tho so its very CPU intensive. I haven't had this much fun since COD4 never played the other CODS after that one, but one thing I only played hardcore mode during the COD4 days that was more slow paced action this game is full on with action heaps of stuff going on especially when the titans start dropping.

ForsakenWicked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35 ForsakenWicked
Member since 2008 • 3745 Posts

I've been playing the beta since yesterday and I must say I'm really enjoying the game. I didn't have high expectations but it is certainly fun, can't wait to play this with my friends.

The graphics is the only drawback and I believe it's because its running on the source engine.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Arthas045

I am really enjoying it so far. I have only got to play a few games, but it really is making me look forward to the release. I am just wondering how the campaign is going to play out in multiplayer.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Graphics wise it's not as impressive as Battlefield 4 nor was I expecting it to be. Gameplay? HOLY SHIT this game is fun!

iampenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 iampenguin
Member since 2013 • 396 Posts

Think it's pathetic.

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 GTR12

It works again...and they want to open the beta to everyone? servers are gonna be dead again soon.

Since EA are kinda stupid, having sent me 7 codes for 1 email address and me not needing this one, whoever reads this first gets it.

D46N-L32G-K9PP-WEHC-3S5W

You redeem it through origin obviously.

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

Been playing the beta since last night. Can't max the game and it doesn't look very good, but it's extremely fun. I'm hoping some drivers will bump up the performance. The game doesn't look like anything special so I should be able to max (or close to) with no problem.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 AlexKidd5000
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

Titanfall looks awesome, I just wish it wasn't MP only.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 uninspiredcup

@SEANMCAD said:

My issue with the game is not the neat mechanics that everyone loves so much but rather that this mechanic (jumping) is basically the pillar for calling the game 'next gen'. At that rate of innovation it will be thousands of years before we get anything to much radically different then we have now

Tribes has skiing and fluent jet packs about a decade and a half ago. I was watching the front page video of those two fellows playing Titanfall and one of them outright admitted they never played Unreal Tournament. This is the gaming journalists reviewing your games. People who have never played Unreal Tournament.

Arthas045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Arthas045

Does anybody want a key?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 FelipeInside

@SEANMCAD said:

My issue with the game is not the neat mechanics that everyone loves so much but rather that this mechanic (jumping) is basically the pillar for calling the game 'next gen'. At that rate of innovation it will be thousands of years before we get anything to much radically different then we have now

No one is calling this next-gen (except for marketing purposes), games like Tribes already do the jumping mechanics. It's just a different take on the COD formula.

8-Bitterness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 8-Bitterness
Member since 2009 • 3707 Posts

@SEANMCAD said:

Hmm, I had always thought that their actual foundation for calling the game next-gen was utilizing the Azure cloud and their way of narrating the game's story being always online and all. For a console game this is actually pretty next-gen I think.

Even then, the movement mechanics in the game are very different from the vast majority of shooters currently and I think they're really good and totally a welcome addition. Just imagine if we get mod tools and the options for a sort of race mode or whatever, movement in the game is pretty baller man.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By FelipeInside

@8-Bitterness said:

@SEANMCAD said:

Hmm, I had always thought that their actual foundation for calling the game next-gen was utilizing the Azure cloud and their way of narrating the game's story being always online and all. For a console game this is actually pretty next-gen I think.

Even then, the movement mechanics in the game are very different from the vast majority of shooters currently and I think they're really good and totally a welcome addition. Just imagine if we get mod tools and the options for a sort of race mode or whatever, movement in the game is pretty baller man.

I'm worried about that "story" aspect. I didn't see any of it in the Beta.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

its pretty fun.. need to remove that shitty smart pistol. i just wonder how long it will be before the game gets boring

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 FelipeInside

@Flubbbs said:

its pretty fun.. need to remove that shitty smart pistol. i just wonder how long it will be before the game gets boring

The smart pistol still needs 3 lock-ons to kill another pilot (human player) so it's not that OP.

I agree with the boring part, and hence why I might not buy this (and I'm burned on online FPS). The other levels really need to mix it up, and also they really need to push some kind of story forward because there was nothing of the sort in the beta.