The Old Republic dev mission walkthrough from PAX

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SkyWard20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 SkyWard20
Member since 2009 • 4509 Posts

[QUOTE="attirex"]I'm kind of disappointed to see a forum mod pass judgement on a game he/she has never played. C'mon, guys, you're supposed to set an example, not be troll bait. =/Remmib
He's right though. SWTOR looks like the same ole MMO crap with a new coat of paint. And that's real talk for you.

don't think most MMO's are trying to do what TOR does...

though I do hear the same 'real talk' for almost every new MMO from someone.

TheMadGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52 TheMadGamer
Member since 2003 • 8670 Posts

I don't think Bioware is even capable of making a bad game...especially one thats been in the works for 3 years now. In terms of being a developer Bioware is on an equal level with Blizzard or Rockstar. I simply can't see how this game will flop, and if it did, it would be the biggest flop in gaming history.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#53 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58450 Posts

I had no faith in this game at all. It looks like a single player game attempting to be an MMO. A waste of production values being placed on voice acting.

Wasdie

this is exactly my fear as well; I am afraid TOR will be like Tortage in Age of Conan...for the entire game. Sure, there are players on, but whats the point? Its the "singleplayer" portion of the game :P

Also, the voiceacting frightens me. MMOs have thousands of pages of script for hundreds (if not thousands) of unique quests; how do you voiceact all that content without taking resources away from other things?

Of course, Bioware could just be doing this because they realize the one single thing about MMOs that sucks: the grind. I dont care if youre playing your favorite franchise with your favorite lore, but questing gets downright boring because it eventually turns into a grind. Folks that PvE generally PvE solo unless its a tough quest, a buddy is on, or its a dungeon. If Bioware manages to make this game both fun to "solo" (i.e. PvE quest) and maintain a large community, I think it will be the best MMO yet.

THGarrett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#54 THGarrett
Member since 2003 • 2574 Posts

I will admit the dialog sounds good, but it looks just like your typical cookie-cutter MMO. :|

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#55 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58450 Posts

I will admit the dialog sounds good, but it looks just like your typical cookie-cutter MMO. :|

THGarrett

really, cuz it looks like an epic, awesome, tasty Star Wars cookie cutter MMO!

:D

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19592 Posts

It doesnt matter if you sell 20 million copies, using that money for server up-keep and game updates requires many employees to continue working on the game, and then the profit made shrinks until a cash shop is forced. Even if we do not see one at launch for GW2, there WILL be one.Crypt_mx

Even so, Guild Wars 1's cash shop is almost entirely full of cosmetic changes, or the ability to purchase extra character and storage slots. There's nothing imbalancing there, and we have no reason to believe that GW2's inevitable cash shop will be any different.

Of course, Bioware could just be doing this because they realize the one single thing about MMOs that sucks: the grind. I dont care if youre playing your favorite franchise with your favorite lore, but questing gets downright boring because it eventually turns into a grind. Folks that PvE generally PvE solo unless its a tough quest, a buddy is on, or its a dungeon. If Bioware manages to make this game both fun to "solo" (i.e. PvE quest) and maintain a large community, I think it will be the best MMO yet.mrbojangles25

While I agree with you, seeing things like "Jungle Beats Slain 3/20" flash across the top of the screen really quashes any hope of that happening. Throw in the dull-looking combat and the way just about everything else in that questing instance looked like WoW, and...who knows.

Also, is it just me, or could that voice-over be describing any situation in any MMO ever? "He needs to make sure that the beasts don't swarm the healer." "Whoops, he caught his attention. That's bad news - those robes aren't exactly heavy armour!"

GW2 says it'll be story driven, but Arena Net really hasn't showed us.Steameffekt

They have. Haven't you seen any of the character creation stuff?

Sure, they haven't *shown* much of it beyond the intro, but they've described how it will work in great detail. The player's actions will shape their journey through Guild Wars 2, altering story events and changing their home instances. Their race, profession, outlook on life and backstory will all be taken into account too, leading to heaps of replayability.

Maybe it won't work out that way exactly, but then again, I haven't seen much of TOR that's going to be more impressive/deep. You won't even necessarily get to pick dialogue choices in TOR, since the game randomises which party member's dialogue choice wins.

rhazzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#57 rhazzy
Member since 2009 • 1516 Posts

[QUOTE="guynamedbilly"]I don't get why people say that. Galaxies didn't fail, and it hasn't failed yet. It's still got people playing it and is still making money...MadCat46
No, it's pretty much dead at this point. Subscription numbers aren't anywhere near as high as they used to be, staff is much smaller then it used to be, had a server merge not to long ago and from my understanding population is still scarce. It's been like this for years now; some of it can be attributed to age, some towards the boneheaded development decisions which killed the uniqueness of the game, and some to the total lack of any real substantial content updates. My point was IP doesn't guarantee long term success, Ricitello said they need 500k subscribers to turn a profit but SWG never got anywhere near that number, it peaked at around 300k. It's a bit naive to think IP alone will guarantee it the necessary success.

They are going to be cutting staff or moving them to other projects after this launches, whether it succeeds or not. I admit, I'm more interested in this game because I think of it more like a coop KOTOR than an actual mmo, but there's no reason it can't appeal to both.

I meant major staff cuts, all companies let people go after a project is released, usually hiring them back in a few months. And I do believe there is a reason it can't appeal to both, and that's limitation. A story driven experience, be it solo or co-op, is vastly different then the strengths of an MMO which hooks people in for months on end. Accomplishing both literally requires the development of two games which then must be seamlessly merged together. Now they have thrown an absorb amount of money and manhours at this thing, but the idea that they are going to be able to make the game both story driven and world-space content driven just doesn't seem feasible to me. A few games have tried in the past and have failed miserably, and BioWare hasn't done anything to sooth my fears by constantly bragging about the story and voice overs and skimming over everything else. I hope it's a success, I do like the Star Wars lore and typically enjoy BioWare's games, but man from a realistic standpoint I don't know if they'll even get close trying to pull it off.

Pretty much the above...

I also want this game to be a success...but i also have my own brain and i can see things clearly....as much as anyone out there wants this game to be a success...it wont be...

Reisling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#58 Reisling
Member since 2007 • 268 Posts

I have great hopes for this game. I am tempted to try Rift atm but am waiting for TOR. Have to let my scars heal after the incredible disappointment that FFXIV was for me ; ;