Someone please tell me what makes Starcraft II different in any way...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mischievity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Mischievity
Member since 2011 • 366 Posts

Seriously. I see no strategy.

I mean, from what I've watched, it's whoever builds faster and build more, and then rushes quicker, hoping to have more troops than the other guy wins.

Where's the fun in that?

Tuzolord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#2 Tuzolord
Member since 2007 • 1409 Posts

watch pros play each other and you'll see theres a lot more depth in it...

MK-Professor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 MK-Professor
Member since 2009 • 4214 Posts

not sure if serious

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

I think you can oversimplify any strategy game that way. Beating the oponent before he beats you is pretty much the basic staple of any competitive game.

When one player is more skilled than the other, then it doesnt seem like theres much strategy because one has overpowered the other and has likely won in a single attack.

When two roughly equally skilled players fight, then there quite a lot of strategy involved as each attempts to react and counter the opposition. Split second decisions in the middle of a fight can determine the winner.

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
You really see no strategy because you haven't taken the time to play it long enough to understand the game mechanics. It's all about split second decision making and timing. You need to be able to manage resources, manage units, manage unit abilities, scout your opponent and expand in a timely fashion.
QQabitmoar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 QQabitmoar
Member since 2011 • 1892 Posts

I mean, from what I've watched, it's whoever builds faster and build more, and then rushes quicker, hoping to have more troops than the other guy wins.

Where's the fun in that?

Mischievity

So, if you build at the same rate of your opponent and the same amount of stuff, who's gonna win? Exactly, the one with better upgrades, positioning, micro, quicker reinforcements, better overall economy, I could go on and on.

Avatar image for lolatmyaccounts
lolatmyaccounts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 lolatmyaccounts
Member since 2011 • 64 Posts

Where's the fun in that?

Mischievity

Its far more complicated than what you just said.

And the custom games in starcraft are some of the best ive ever seen; Desert Strike, Elemental Tower Defense, Mafia.

chris4355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 chris4355
Member since 2007 • 266 Posts

to be fair, he is a little right.

when i play games like rome total war its all about unit placement, proper timing etc...

a lot of the things in sc2 that make you a good player have more to do with how well you can multitask, and how fast you can think.

in other words.... a world class chess player might not necessarily be a good sc2 player.

There definitely is strategy, but a lot of muscle memory as well.

Kevin-V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9 Kevin-V
Member since 2006 • 5418 Posts
StarCraft II is actually an extremely flexible game in which one match can play out very differently than the last. I have spent many hours watching downloaded replays, studying dozens of different strategies for Protoss alone. You could break any game down to its barest essentials in the way you did. ("What's so special about Battlefield? The teams that win just shoot better!") But even now, I can play someone and see a strategy that I've never seen before that forces me to change my own strategy mid-course. And that element of surprise is what keeps me returning. Describing StarCraft II so simply does not remotely depict the tense enjoyment of a typical match.
Mazoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 Mazoch
Member since 2004 • 2473 Posts

when i play games like rome total war its all about unit placement, proper timing etc...

a lot of the things in sc2 that make you a good player have more to do with how well you can multitask, and how fast you can think.

in other words.... a world class chess player might not necessarily be a good sc2 player.

chris4355

Unit placement, proper timing and so on are also central elements in winning a fight in SC2. The real challenge lies in not just ensuring proper timing and placement but at the same time be able to maintain your economy, keep an eye out of additional attacks and so on.

Often a player can win the fight but lose the war by focusing only on the big fight while forgetting everything else that is going on in the game. It is true that multitasking and the ability to track and deal with multiple situations at once is a core skill in SC2, but that (at least to me) is a valid strategic challenge.

Da_lil_PimP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Da_lil_PimP
Member since 2006 • 4241 Posts

lol wut? I've seen players who are outnumbered win battles simply because they had better control of their units.

Mazoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 Mazoch
Member since 2004 • 2473 Posts

Where's the fun in that?

Mischievity

A central point is that you cannot do both at the same time, this is obviously assuming that the people playing have a reasonable level of experience with the game. However at the beginning of the game, the more resources you invest towards building more economy, the less resources you can invest towards combat units. This creates a dilemma for both players. If you build combat units you risk falling behind your opponents economy. However if you build no military units you risk losing right away if your opponent show up with more military units than you can defend against.

The act of balancing economy with military units is at the heart of SC2s strategy. By effectivly scouting your enemy you can learn at an earlier stage how your opponenet is investing his resources: Is he building a lot of military? Then he might be attacking soon but you'll also know that he'll have a weak economy. No military units? He's going to have a lot of money soon, you'll either want to attack early to damage his economy or ensure that your economy is just as good). Of course there are stragegies to counter of avoid scouting:

- Proxy buildings and placements.

- Walling off your base.

- Letting your enemy see you building one thing, then once he looses sight of the building, cancel the building and change strategy.

In short, you cannot build faster while also building the bigger army, you need to balance those two goals. That is what forms the core of SC2's strategic choices.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

[QUOTE="Mischievity"]

Where's the fun in that?

Mazoch

A central point is that you cannot do both at the same time, this is obviously assuming that the people playing have a reasonable level of experience with the game. However at the beginning of the game, the more resources you invest towards building more economy, the less resources you can invest towards combat units. This creates a dilemma for both players. If you build combat units you risk falling behind your opponents economy. However if you build no military units you risk losing right away if your opponent show up with more military units than you can defend against.

The act of balancing economy with military units is at the heart of SC2s strategy. By effectivly scouting your enemy you can learn at an earlier stage how your opponenet is investing his resources: Is he building a lot of military? Then he might be attacking soon but you'll also know that he'll have a weak economy. No military units? He's going to have a lot of money soon, you'll either want to attack early to damage his economy or ensure that your economy is just as good). Of course there are stragegies to counter of avoid scouting:

- Proxy buildings and placements.

- Walling off your base.

- Letting your enemy see you building one thing, then once he looses sight of the building, cancel the building and change strategy.

In short, you cannot build faster while also building the bigger army, you need to balance those two goals. That is what forms the core of SC2's strategic choices.

I built 5 rax (So that he thought I was rushing marine) at the start of a game and just mass expanded :P The other guy saw my 5 rax at the start and barricaded himself in :P

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
There is no hope in SC 2, that's where the strategy is, it's all carefully planned and improved down to the millisecond, constantly scouting the enemy and countering his/her build, etc, numbers will help you if the other player is bad, but you can't just spam an unit and "hope" to win, you'll never do such a thing. If you never had a hard battle or a close battle, you'll never experience the "fun". From what I saw in the latest threads you also don't really like strategy games, so it's hard to see the fun in the most complex, competitive and harsh RTS available.
KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts
If you need to ask you will never understand. In the end every game in the world come down to something basic like "beat your enemy".
xLittlekillx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 xLittlekillx
Member since 2005 • 1833 Posts

It's strategy, but it's just a different kind of strategy than what you're probably thinking about. It's sort of like "I think my opponent is building a lot of unit As, so I will build a lot of unit Bs to fight them" and you have to do it pretty fast. It's not like HOI where you're influencing a political party in Austria in anticipation of annexing them and assaulting France, or calculating moves in Frozen Synapse.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

chris4355

Starcraft 2 relies on unit placement and timing just as much as Rome: Total War does (if not more). You can have significantly less than your opponent and win with proper strategy.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
SC2 is like CHESS... Easy to learn... Hard to master...
Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#19 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts

[QUOTE="chris4355"]

KHAndAnime

Starcraft 2 relies on unit placement and timing just as much as Rome: Total War does (if not more). You can have significantly less than your opponent and win with proper strategy.

That's tactics; Rome certainly has a deeper tactics system than SC2. Sc2 focuses on strategy, which mostly includes being aware of what your opponent is doing and focus on a build that counters their build. Unit control (micro, not macro) can turn the tides of battle in SC2, but not nearly as much as Rome.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts
I've always wanted to play SC2 online (I've finished the campaign on Easy) I'm just too scared I'll get my butt kicked... I'm not that good with strategy, like I said I finished SP on easy and still had problems finishing some levels...
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"]

[QUOTE="chris4355"]

Swiftstrike5

That's tactics; Rome certainly has a deeper tactics system than SC2. Sc2 focuses on strategy, which mostly includes being aware of what your opponent is doing and focus on a build that counters their build. Unit control can turn the tides of battle in SC2, but not nearly as much as Rome.

I don't care about the depth - I was commenting on the importance of tactics. Starcraft 2 has an equal focus on strategy and tactics. Micromanaging units = tactics - and there's a lot of importance when it comes to micromanagement. Rome's campaign map certainly doesn't constitute as tactics and that's a huge portion of the game. Timing in Rome: Total War is much looser than the timing in Starcraft 2, and that's good because Starcraft 2 requires the need for responsiveness.

Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#22 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts

[QUOTE="Swiftstrike5"]

[QUOTE="KHAndAnime"] Starcraft 2 relies on unit placement and timing just as much as Rome: Total War does (if not more). You can have significantly less than your opponent and win with proper strategy.

KHAndAnime

That's tactics; Rome certainly has a deeper tactics system than SC2. Sc2 focuses on strategy, which mostly includes being aware of what your opponent is doing and focus on a build that counters their build. Unit control can turn the tides of battle in SC2, but not nearly as much as Rome.

I don't care about the depth - I was commenting on the importance of tactics. Starcraft 2 has an equal focus on strategy and tactics. Micromanaging units = tactics - and there's a lot of importance when it comes to micromanagement. Rome's campaign map certainly doesn't constitute as tactics and that's a huge portion of the game. Timing in Rome: Total War is much looser than the timing in Starcraft 2, and that's good because Starcraft 2 requires the need for responsiveness.

That's cool because you're right, SC2 certainly more 'twitchy' than Rome (b/c Rome is casual). As long as you don't think that SC2 is the pinnacle of tactical gameplay. Too many SC2 fans cringe when someone complains about the shallow tactical depth of SC2 (shallow is probably too harsh).

IMO, Macro is considerably more important than micro. That's why most players are told to avoid doing intensive micro until they can insure it doesn't affect their macro. I enjoy playing both games, but there's nothing more satisfying that crushing an army that outnumbers you 3 to 1. I can't do that in SC2 as long as they build the proper soft/hard counter to my units.

Moriarity_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Moriarity_
Member since 2011 • 1332 Posts
There is a ton of strategy and depth in SC2.
Silos911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Silos911
Member since 2010 • 615 Posts

I haven't played a lot of RTS's either. But before Starcraft 2 came out I asked a question similar to this in the Starcraft 2 specific message board. Except I mentioned that I recognized that there was strategy, I just couldn't figure out what skill you would improve to say you are better. The people there told me for someone new to the games, the main thing that would be a skill to improve would be multitasking.

That alone is a lot of strategy. Being able to manage a base, scouting, building a solid offense and defense, reacting to whatever new move your opponent does. Even on a ground level, if you don't want to get into the serious depth, learning to multitask in that game, and doing it well, is a lot of strategy in it's own right. I then watched a couple professional matches. I saw someone with an SCV (a basic unit used for building and collecting resources) go into the middle of an enemy base, and leave with it's life while the opponent's units were attacking it by making various movements to "deke" the opponent. All the while building more units at the SCV owner's base. That's very hard to do.

RTS's are so much more, but just by watching videos if you are new it is easier to pick up on the multitasking elements and learning from that, compared to watching a match and learning tricks on unit position.

sleepingzzz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25 sleepingzzz
Member since 2006 • 2263 Posts

Where's the fun in that?

Mischievity

That is like saying FPS are all about who can aim and click with the mouse/controller the fastest. Yeah, it helps a lot to be fast and percise with the mouse but, there's a lot more to it for both types of games. You just need to play enough and you'll slowly start to get it.

xsubtownerx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#26 xsubtownerx
Member since 2007 • 10705 Posts
I do agree that StarCraft II is all about who can button mash the quickest. Although in 1 v 1 games you do see some neat strategies from the pros..
PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts
There's more to it than that, but it's true that sheer speed plays an important roll.
BlackDevil99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 BlackDevil99
Member since 2003 • 2329 Posts

Where's the fun in that?

Mischievity

exactly, unfounrtantly this is the case in just about ALL online strategy games. so i stick to skirmishes with the computer or friends.

It also helps to play bigger, more strategic games where it takes longer to build up an army, and u control more like a large city then a small military outpost, such as empire Earth, Age of empires or battle for middle earth

pl4yer_f0und

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 pl4yer_f0und
Member since 2009 • 990 Posts

If you don't like the whole action per minute kind of rts play,get company of heroes. You'll feel the depth and strategy right away.