So with console becoming very close to most of todays pc's...

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

demonik_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 demonik_360
Member since 2006 • 1850 Posts
There really isnt a reason to put a game on pc and not the systems(and vice versa) everyone is in it for money these days(excpet blizzard,valve etc.) and i was gonna get the Q6600 and the 8800GTS Nvidia graphics card but i relized i could buy a 360 and wii...but i dont want to turn into a console gamer, i love being a hermit(lol) but i feel im bein ripped off in a way with me paying hundreds of dollars to upgrade(no im not complaining about the cost just simply stating) i could buy a console with equel gaming capabilities...what are you thought on this? should i resort to droppin my pc gaming rig...(sorry if this belongs in a diffren forum i just want certain opnions :D)
demonik_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 demonik_360
Member since 2006 • 1850 Posts
anyone have an opnion on this?
EntwineX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#3 EntwineX
Member since 2005 • 5858 Posts

It all depends on what kind of games you like, PC has a vide variety of games and even tho most big games these days are multiplatform, it's still difficult to get the best TBS or RTS games on a console, not to mention MMORPGs or simulators, and personally I can't stand playing most games(especially FPS) without a mouse.

But if you don't mind playing with a pad, and usually just get the big titles, console definately isn't a bad choise.

ParadoxOne11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 ParadoxOne11
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

There really isnt a reason to put a game on pc and not the systems(and vice versa) everyone is in it for money these days(excpet blizzard,valve etc.) and i was gonna get the Q6600 and the 8800GTS Nvidia graphics card but i relized i could buy a 360 and wii...but i dont want to turn into a console gamer, i love being a hermit(lol) but i feel im bein ripped off in a way with me paying hundreds of dollars to upgrade(no im not complaining about the cost just simply stating) i could buy a console with equel gaming capabilities...what are you thought on this? should i resort to droppin my pc gaming rig...(sorry if this belongs in a diffren forum i just want certain opnions :D)demonik_360

You have a valid point here. Computers nowadays are VERY expensive. A decent gaming machine costs more than 2000 dollars. It's crazy really... With that kind of money you can buy a PS3, a 360, a Wii and a PC for internet and older games. I mean come on you get4 machines instead of one... It's a no-brainer. And with today's multiplatform madness you really wouldn't miss many games on the PC anyway.

EntwineX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 EntwineX

[QUOTE="demonik_360"]There really isnt a reason to put a game on pc and not the systems(and vice versa) everyone is in it for money these days(excpet blizzard,valve etc.) and i was gonna get the Q6600 and the 8800GTS Nvidia graphics card but i relized i could buy a 360 and wii...but i dont want to turn into a console gamer, i love being a hermit(lol) but i feel im bein ripped off in a way with me paying hundreds of dollars to upgrade(no im not complaining about the cost just simply stating) i could buy a console with equel gaming capabilities...what are you thought on this? should i resort to droppin my pc gaming rig...(sorry if this belongs in a diffren forum i just want certain opnions :D)ParadoxOne11

You have a valid point here. Computers nowadays are VERY expensive. A decent gaming machine costs more than 2000 dollars. It's crazy really... With that kind of money you can buy a PS3, a 360, a Wii and a PC for internet and older games. I mean come on you get4 machines instead of one... It's a no-brainer. And with today's multiplatform madness you really wouldn't miss many games on the PC anyway.

Well it's not THAT expensive, I dunno where you are from but in here 2K gives you a lot more than just a decent gaming machine. With 800 you will prolly get a high-end machine capable of running the latest games on high, and if you already own a PC upgrading that will cost even less.
ParadoxOne11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ParadoxOne11
Really? With 800 you get a graphics card for a high end machine and maybe some ram but that's about it...
EntwineX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 EntwineX
Really? With 800 you get a graphics card for a high end machine and maybe some ram but that's about it...ParadoxOne11
No, if you build it yourself you can prolly get a pretty decent machine with it, okay, maybe not a high end, but one that plays current games very well. If you have monitor and OS already, like most people prolly do.
ParadoxOne11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ParadoxOne11
My point is, with 800 dollars you won't get a machine that can handle let's say Crysis at max levels like a PS3 can easily or another machine that is atleast comparable with the graphics power of the PS3. You'll need lik 1400+ to do that...
ParadoxOne11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ParadoxOne11

[QUOTE="ParadoxOne11"]Really? With 800 you get a graphics card for a high end machine and maybe some ram but that's about it...EntwineX
No, if you build it yourself you can prolly get a pretty decent machine with it, okay, maybe not a high end, but one that plays current games very well. If you have monitor and OS already, like most people prolly do.

Yeah I know. Even with 400 dollars you can buy a decent PC second-hand that can play some of todays games but I was talking about the high end stuff like an 8800 sli rig. You need 2000 for that...

EntwineX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 EntwineX

My point is, with 800 dollars you won't get a machine that can handle let's say Crysis at max levels like a PS3 can easily or another machine that is atleast comparable with the graphics power of the PS3. You'll need lik 1400+ to do that...ParadoxOne11

Well at newegg you can get for e.g.

8800GTS 320Mb
650W PSU
Core2Duo E6550
Evga Mobo
2x1Gb DDR2 667Mhz Ram
250Gb HD
+ a cool case

For $820 and it should run Crysis decently on pretty high settings.

WorriorElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 WorriorElite
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

There really isnt a reason to put a game on pc and not the systems(and vice versa) everyone is in it for money these days(excpet blizzard,valve etc.) and i was gonna get the Q6600 and the 8800GTS Nvidia graphics card but i relized i could buy a 360 and wii...but i dont want to turn into a console gamer, i love being a hermit(lol) but i feel im bein ripped off in a way with me paying hundreds of dollars to upgrade(no im not complaining about the cost just simply stating) i could buy a console with equel gaming capabilities...what are you thought on this? should i resort to droppin my pc gaming rig...(sorry if this belongs in a diffren forum i just want certain opnions :D)demonik_360

i totally agree with you. in the old days pc games had a big advantagedue toonline capability,that however is no longer a factor. i mean, if ps3 or a 360 get a keyboard and a mouse, and i kinda hope they do, pc gaming is dead. heck, you can surf the web on a ps3 for crying out loud.

blubsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 blubsi
Member since 2004 • 45 Posts

i feel im bein ripped off in a way with me paying hundreds of dollars to upgrade(no im not complaining about the cost just simply stating) i could buy a console with equel gaming capabilities...what are you thought on this?demonik_360

It's subjective that they are equal. I spend much more of my gaming time on my PC than my 360 because I find it better.

azizalbaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 azizalbaker
Member since 2005 • 409 Posts

[QUOTE="demonik_360"]There really isnt a reason to put a game on pc and not the systems(and vice versa) everyone is in it for money these days(excpet blizzard,valve etc.) and i was gonna get the Q6600 and the 8800GTS Nvidia graphics card but i relized i could buy a 360 and wii...but i dont want to turn into a console gamer, i love being a hermit(lol) but i feel im bein ripped off in a way with me paying hundreds of dollars to upgrade(no im not complaining about the cost just simply stating) i could buy a console with equel gaming capabilities...what are you thought on this? should i resort to droppin my pc gaming rig...(sorry if this belongs in a diffren forum i just want certain opnions :D)WorriorElite

i totally agree with you. in the old days pc games had a big advantagedue toonline capability,that however is no longer a factor. i mean, if ps3 or a 360 get a keyboard and a mouse, and i kinda hope they do, pc gaming is dead. heck, you can surf the web on a ps3 for crying out loud.

sorry for being off topic but is there any gaming peripheral that could link keyboards and mouse into fps games for 360 or ps3 just interested
ParadoxOne11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ParadoxOne11

sorry for being off topic but is there any gaming peripheral that could link keyboards and mouse into fps games for 360 or ps3 just interested

Well with keyboards it's easy. The consoles have USB ports so you just have to stick one in. As for a mouse I don't know if it can be done I will just buy a PS3 and never upgrade my PC again as shooters and strategy games are the only ones that are better on the PC anyways...

BirdofP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 BirdofP
Member since 2006 • 672 Posts

I wouldn't drop your PC jsut yet that $600 PS3 can crank out 1080p which is short for 1920x1080. High endPCs can put out 3 times the resolution of this.The PC may cost 3 times as much but that is becuase it runs so much better.

You also want to consider the versatility of your PC. You surf the net play games type documents edit photos and video put music on your MP3 player. Out of that list your console can only do 2 of those things.

sabazios

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 sabazios
Member since 2004 • 226 Posts

I agree with a previous poster that it depends on what type of game you play. FPS, RTS, MMORPG are definitely at home on the PC, with a great control scheme, general ease of use, etc.

A 2.000$ machine? That's probably not a good rig. Just a bad buy. Who needs TWO 8800 right now? It's ridiculous. Buy one, save your money to buy a 9800 or something a year and a 1/2 from now. With a little thought, you can build a great machine, then stay on top of any newly-released games, with an average spend of 500$ a year. And the games will look sharper than on the 360 or PS3.

And if you say that's more than what consoles cost, you may be right as to the hardware (though that hardware also allows you to surf the web, write, and do hundreds of computer stuff that only a, well, computer can do), but the real issue is THE PRICE OF THE SOFTWARE. Have you checked the price of "next-gen" console games these days? I buy about two games per month, and manage to get each for an average of 20$. The same games, at the same time, cost 60$ on a console. At the end of the year, those 500$ of hardware are a smarter spend.

Also keep in mind that the consoles might be attractively close to PC performance for a year or two, then they'll vanish in the distance as the PC evolves. If you're a demanding power-gamer as you seem to be, you'll cry your heart out a year from now if you renounce PC gaming and see how your console is stuck firmly in 2007.

ParadoxOne11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ParadoxOne11

I wouldn't drop your PC jsut yet that $600 PS3 can crank out 1080i HDTV. That is the equivalent of 1024 x760 resolution on the PC. Nowadays that is considered a lower resolution with resolutions havind a horizontal in the 2 and 3 thousands. The PC may cost 3 times as much but that is becuase it runs so much better.

You also want to consider the versatility of your PC. You surf the net play games type documents edit photos and video put music on your MP3 player. Out of that list your console can only do 2 of those things.

BirdofP

Nah.

"1080i, the former king of the HDTV hill, actually boasts an identical 1,920x1,080 resolution"

So yeah try that on your PC. You will need 8800 dual SLI to do that wich costs more than 1500 dollars. I allready have a PC for the internetDuuuuuuh...

BirdofP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 BirdofP
Might wanna fix that I realized my mistake and edited the post accordingly
Wheelman56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 Wheelman56
Member since 2004 • 169 Posts
You have a valid point here. Computers nowadays are VERY expensive. A decent gaming machine costs more than 2000 dollars. It's crazy really... With that kind of money you can buy a PS3, a 360, a Wii and a PC for internet and older games. I mean come on you get4 machines instead of one... It's a no-brainer. And with today's multiplatform madness you really wouldn't miss many games on the PC anyway.ParadoxOne11
Yeah guys c'mon, why get one really good ham sandwich when you can get 4 sh!t sandwiches for less money! It's a no-brainer, duh!
JN_Fenrir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JN_Fenrir
Member since 2004 • 1551 Posts
My point is, with 800 dollars you won't get a machine that can handle let's say Crysis at max levels like a PS3 can easily or another machine that is atleast comparable with the graphics power of the PS3. You'll need lik 1400+ to do that...ParadoxOne11
The PS3 would not be capable of running Crysis smoothly at the highest settings. The PS3 GPU is roughly equivalent to a Geforce 7800 GTX. 8800 GTS cards currently start at under $300 on Newegg, and even those won't run Crysis smoothly at the highest settings. As far as CPUs go, any dual-core desktop CPU is far more powerful than that of either the PS3 or Xbox 360, especially the PS3's CPU, which is a horribly designed piece of junk. The PS3 is an all-around terrible system, which is exactly why there aren't that many games for it. If you're building an entirely new PC (like I'm going to have to do, because I still have an AGP motherboard and a PSU with the old 20-pin ATX connector), $800 can get you a dual-core Athlon X2, 2GB of RAM and a Radeon X1950XT, a setup that will easily last you 2-3 years, by which time DX10 hardware might actually be worth owning. A new PC is an investment, but I'd dare say it's really not that expensive, and I'm broke as hell, heh. To the OP: It's true that the gaming companies have made consoles a very attractive option for the masses. For a few hundred bones, you get a complete system that is guaranteed to play any game you throw at it without hassle, including a growing number of games that are also available on PC. And you know, as jaded as I've become due to the general lack of innovation and imagination that's been demonstrated in the gaming market over the past decade or so, I can honestly say that the prospect of paying $400 + $8 per rental to play games of today's mediocre quality instead of $800 + $50 a pop makes a hell of a lot more sense to me. EntwineX nailed it though:

It all depends on what kind of games you like, PC has a vide variety of games and even tho most big games these days are multiplatform, it's still difficult to get the best TBS or RTS games on a console, not to mention MMORPGs or simulators, and personally I can't stand playing most games(especially FPS) without a mouse.

But if you don't mind playing with a pad, and usually just get the big titles, console definately isn't a bad choise.

EntwineX
It's whatever works for you. I personally don't really care about running Crysis at its highest settings. In fact, I don't much care about running Crysis at all, because as far as I've seen, the gameplay looks pretty bland, and graphics don't mean a thing to me. However, it does looks as though are going to be some truly great games coming out this year that just won't run at all on my current specs, so I think it's time for me to upgrade. But even though many of these games will be released for the consoles as well, I'd still rather put the money into my PC because I do so many other things with it. Again, it's whatever works for you. Oh, but you should also keep in mind that you'll need a fairly sizable (and thus, expensive) TV if you're going to be gaming on either a PS3 or a 360, so you should factor that into the cost as well. EDIT: I also wanted to add that most PS3 games are not 1080i, they're just 720p artificially upscaled to 1080i.
BirdofP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BirdofP
Another aspect is the fact that you might pay more for a PC but it is 100% backwards compatable and can be upgraded. When games go beyond what a console can take they build a whole new console for whole new games. For the PC you just put in a new video card and you are set. If I wanted to I could play the first ever DOS game in existance. Consoles can't do that. They claim to have backwards compatability but put a PS1 game in a PS2 or a PS2 game in a PS3 and tell me how compatable they are
ForlornHope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ForlornHope
Member since 2006 • 1809 Posts
lol very close? You think consoles are even close to how powerful a pc is?
JN_Fenrir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 JN_Fenrir
If I wanted to I could play the first ever DOS game in existance. Consoles can't do that. BirdofP
I dunno, the Nintendo DS could probably do that. :P
Rockingtime75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Rockingtime75
Member since 2006 • 805 Posts

They claim to have backwards compatability but put a PS1 game in a PS2 or a PS2 game in a PS3 and tell me how compatable they areBirdofP

Very. I was just playing Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee on my PS2 a while ago. Plus all the PS1 Final Fantasys.

Not sure about the PS3, but the ones with emotion engine in it can play Ps2/Ps1 games.

Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 Daytona_178
Member since 2005 • 14962 Posts
if your like FPS's and RPG's you have choice but to get a PC!
Gen-Gawl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#28 Gen-Gawl
Member since 2004 • 3925 Posts

[QUOTE="EntwineX"][QUOTE="ParadoxOne11"]Really? With 800 you get a graphics card for a high end machine and maybe some ram but that's about it...ParadoxOne11

Yeah I know. Even with 400 dollars you can buy a decent PC second-hand that can play some of todays games but I was talking about the high end stuff like an 8800 sli rig. You need 2000 for that...

IMO that's just overkill. You can play all modern games with much less than 4gb ram, quad core processor and 8800 sli. Yeah, you can pay $2,000+ for a top end gaming rig. But, do you need to? Nope.

The best advice I can give is to build your own and be a smart shopper. And try to use parts from your existing rig if you can instead of scrapping it and starting from scratch.

Avatar image for TacticalElefant
TacticalElefant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TacticalElefant
Member since 2007 • 900 Posts
Consoles are always close to PCs at the beginning of their lifespans and into a year or two. Crysis is the beginning of the end of that this generation.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#30 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

anyone have an opnion on this?demonik_360

My opinion is that you're trying to start a console vs PC argument in the forum. Trolling if you want the more technical term.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#31 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

PS3 can handle Crysis at max settings?

BlackHawk340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 BlackHawk340
Member since 2006 • 4418 Posts

[QUOTE="ParadoxOne11"]My point is, with 800 dollars you won't get a machine that can handle let's say Crysis at max levels like a PS3 can easily or another machine that is atleast comparable with the graphics power of the PS3. You'll need lik 1400+ to do that...-Unreal-

PS3 can handle Crysis at max settings?

NO!

bedram793

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#33 bedram793
Member since 2006 • 1741 Posts

[QUOTE="ParadoxOne11"]My point is, with 800 dollars you won't get a machine that can handle let's say Crysis at max levels like a PS3 can easily or another machine that is atleast comparable with the graphics power of the PS3. You'll need lik 1400+ to do that...EntwineX

8800GTS 320Mb
650W PSU
Core2Duo E6550
Evga Mobo
2x1Gb DDR2 667Mhz Ram
250Gb HD
+ a cool case

The thing doesn't even have 1 ghz. It has 667 MHZ

Skullheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Skullheart
Member since 2006 • 2054 Posts

anyone have an opnion on this?demonik_360

Yeah I have an opinion. Consoles are not nearly (nor will they ever hope to be) close to PCs. Don't know where you're getting that. Consoles will die out, and the PC will always be there. That's how it's been for...ever?

jorgeluisbl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 jorgeluisbl
Member since 2005 • 1479 Posts

[QUOTE="demonik_360"]There really isnt a reason to put a game on pc and not the systems(and vice versa) everyone is in it for money these days(excpet blizzard,valve etc.) and i was gonna get the Q6600 and the 8800GTS Nvidia graphics card but i relized i could buy a 360 and wii...but i dont want to turn into a console gamer, i love being a hermit(lol) but i feel im bein ripped off in a way with me paying hundreds of dollars to upgrade(no im not complaining about the cost just simply stating) i could buy a console with equel gaming capabilities...what are you thought on this? should i resort to droppin my pc gaming rig...(sorry if this belongs in a diffren forum i just want certain opnions :D)ParadoxOne11

That's avery good point, well said.

Kool_j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Kool_j
Member since 2005 • 1215 Posts
[QUOTE="EntwineX"]

[QUOTE="ParadoxOne11"]My point is, with 800 dollars you won't get a machine that can handle let's say Crysis at max levels like a PS3 can easily or another machine that is atleast comparable with the graphics power of the PS3. You'll need lik 1400+ to do that...bedram793

8800GTS 320Mb
650W PSU
Core2Duo E6550
Evga Mobo
2x1Gb DDR2 667Mhz Ram
250Gb HD
+ a cool case

The thing doesn't even have 1 ghz. It has 667 MHZ

lol, big deal? the speed really is not that critical.

oh and according to the devs, you can run crysis in ultra high settings with 2GB RAM, E6600 and a 8800GTS. so he should be fine.

greatmax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 greatmax1
Member since 2006 • 1868 Posts
[QUOTE="BirdofP"]

I wouldn't drop your PC jsut yet that $600 PS3 can crank out 1080i HDTV. That is the equivalent of 1024 x760 resolution on the PC. Nowadays that is considered a lower resolution with resolutions havind a horizontal in the 2 and 3 thousands. The PC may cost 3 times as much but that is becuase it runs so much better.

ParadoxOne11

Nah.

"1080i, the former king of the HDTV hill, actually boasts an identical 1,920x1,080 resolution"

So yeah try that on your PC. You will need 8800 dual SLI to do that wich costs more than 1500 dollars. I allready have a PC for the internetDuuuuuuh...

i suggest you go see some benchmarks on how well a single 8800gtx performs at these resolutions. On many games, it gets 30fps+. Also, i find it funny how people talk about how inexpensive the consoles are and the fact that they can play at high resolutions, but they always exclude the price of a damn $2000 HDTV to make the games they play look better than the same game on the pc ( at a lower, more casual res).
MasterStevenX2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 MasterStevenX2
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

EntwineX is completely right. That $800 dollar machine he posted in the first page will play anything today on maximum settings and run Crysis without a hitch. Core 2 Duo's are immensley powerful and god knows what AMD has set next to compete with them. And $2k PC is either 1. Overkill or 2. Your getting ripped off.

sepheronX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39 sepheronX
Member since 2005 • 1388 Posts

Is it me, or are the console morons are good at throwing random numbers out of their **** (mouth)? I built a gaming pc, that is highly overclockable, plays every game at top notch, and comes with a nice big LCD monitor to play games at high resolution. It cost me 1K Canadian (for a friend).

Specs:

Intel E6550

2x1gig PC6400 Patriot Extreme Memory

Asus P5K P35 motherboard

EVGA 8800gts 640mb edition

Acer 22' LCD HDMI PC monitor

Chaintech AV-710 audio card (not best, but good enough for analog, and the fact that it takes off stress off the CPU).

Antec Sanata 3 w/ Antec 500w Earthwatt PSU

Pioneer Dual layer DVD burner.

Got all the parts on sale, and free shipping. Great system, my friend is having tons of fun. As he sold his Xbox 360 cause he did not even need it anymore, as he agreed it could not performe as well as this.

You need to understand, that the consoles are stuck at a constant 30fps for tv wise (that is why it looks like poop on monitors usually) and they are only capable of running decently with today's games. I noticed with playing both consoles, side by side (my uncle, whom is a nerd) and I noticed that games such as "the Darkness" and Gears of war, would dip below 30fps when things get heavy. That is not a good sign, it shows that we already reached the consoles limit, unlike the Xbox, which took a while, till Halo 2 to come out, to really show the xbox's potential.

Also, PC's will allow you to adjust it to your liking, so that means high AA and AF, high resolution, and awsome graphics. You can also make things look better, outside of the game, with modified drivers and such. Also, you can modify the hardware yourself, like I did when I volt modded my 7900gs xt.

If you want a good gaming PC, without paying much, just build it yourself, or have places like Newegg or NCIX build it for you, and usually they charge only 25 bucks for it too.

mismajor99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40 mismajor99
Member since 2003 • 5671 Posts

[QUOTE="ParadoxOne11"]You have a valid point here. Computers nowadays are VERY expensive. A decent gaming machine costs more than 2000 dollars. It's crazy really... With that kind of money you can buy a PS3, a 360, a Wii and a PC for internet and older games. I mean come on you get4 machines instead of one... It's a no-brainer. And with today's multiplatform madness you really wouldn't miss many games on the PC anyway.Wheelman56
Yeah guys c'mon, why get one really good ham sandwich when you can get 4 sh!t sandwiches for less money! It's a no-brainer, duh!

lol

kweeky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41 kweeky
Member since 2003 • 278 Posts

I need a computer for work.

I can't afford to buy a console.

My work computer can run games just fine.

Why should I get a PS3/X360?

JN_Fenrir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 JN_Fenrir
[QUOTE="ParadoxOne11"][QUOTE="BirdofP"]

greatmax1

Nah.

i suggest you go see some benchmarks on how well a single 8800gtx performs at these resolutions. On many games, it gets 30fps+. Also, i find it funny how people talk about how inexpensive the consoles are and the fact that they can play at high resolutions, but they always exclude the price of a damn $2000 HDTV to make the games they play look better than the same game on the pc ( at a lower, more casual res).

Consoles don't even run games at a high resolution. Both the Xbox 360 and PS3 run native 720p and upscale to 1080i artificially (in most cases). I will say, however, that a good HDTV can be had for less than half that price, but it should still be factored into the cost. I mean, you can't play PC games on an analog TV, right? (Actually, technically, you can. I've done it before; I recorded myself playing Half-Life deathmatch. I was super bored. :P)
Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#43 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts

To the topic creator, I'm going to do you a favor.

I'm going to ask that you forget all the PC vs Console crap you heard in this thread.

Forget the comments written by people that understand what Dual core 933 GhZ pixel shading pipeline in SLIGF mode overclocked means but are incapable of giving a response that doesn't reek of bias.

Do what you think is best for you... if you're tired of the patches, the downloads, the crashes, the upgrades and maybe you want to diversify into platformers, and playing 3rd person shooters while sitting on your couch with 4 of your friends then do it.

and after that if you're tired of paying $60 for 10 hour games that don't look as good as what's out on pc, you miss the mouse and keyboard and you're longing for an RTS and some modable FPS's... then feel free to come back to playing PC games.

in the end, you're the only one that knows what makes you happy and you have the power to ignore these PC fanboys

Lonezerth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Lonezerth
Member since 2005 • 322 Posts

Hm... a system wars thread. A thread with people who want to have, and claim they have, the highest numbers as soon as possible for reasons unknown (even to them in some cases), probably to avoid building their own rig with much less expense when it is really needed. I can only see that as a new way of comparing their dicks.

As it has already been stated by some in this thread (and in many others) when a console is new, or almost new, it is pretty much as a computer in terms of "power".

On the other hand, PC gaming is as expensive as you want it to be, for example, I haven't made any major upgrades on my PC for 5 years. Cheap, and I have played any games I wanted to play when they were out. Sure, not always at max settings, but at least on medium. Speaking of hardware, patience can save you a lot of money.

ParadoxOne11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ParadoxOne11

lol

You guys are crazy. What a bunch of nerds. It's all about the games not the system you play them on. I owned anything from Ataris to PS2 and P4's. I was a SNES player but that didn't stop me to enjoy Golden Axe on the PC and then buy one. I don't know where this hate is coming from? I for one never really liked racing games. Then I played Grand Turismo and I loved it. I've allways said that I hate the Xbox for being too big and practically a computer just posing as a console but that didn't stopped me playin Forza Motorsport and enjoying it. But yeah there's one thing u can't do with a PC that you should do and can with a console. Just go out and buy a game from the store, then come home stick it in your system and play it. Oh no you have to wait, half an hour untill you installit and after you do that, IF it works,you still need the DVD. WHY? Oh and the fact you have to deal with Windows, the worst program ever invented. I hated this piece of buggy software from the start when i first tried it out on a 286. I was still using DOS and NC on my 486when the first pentium came out... The first thing I've noticed on Windows 95 was: So you have to push start to close the computer? Right...

Ed1bleTal2get

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Ed1bleTal2get
Member since 2004 • 57 Posts
[QUOTE="BirdofP"]

ParadoxOne11

Nah.

I run almost those resolutions on my 2 year old 6800GS, I dont think you know what youre talking about.

However, I will be updating for Crysis and such this summer.

ParadoxOne11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ParadoxOne11
I doubt you are playing even Battlefield 2at 1,920x1,080resolution with an 6800.So you don't really know what you are talking about and just really like to boast. I wasn't talking about games like Counter-strike that can run on a GeForce 2 ok, which is a good thing. The 6 series suck anyway, I own one so yeah I know what I'm saying, it was a bit hard to shook off that 5200FX lineage... If you said that you owned a 7900 and played games at that setting I would have belived you but with a 6800, no way... You are delirious...
Bedhouin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Bedhouin
Member since 2002 • 469 Posts

Read this blog: PC Gaming Wont Die

At the end of the day, if you can afford both, get both. Some games are better on PC, some games are better on console. Other times you wont have a choice, the game might be exclusive to a platform, so you get the best of both worlds.

I want the best gaming experience possible. Right now consoles and PCs are fairly evenly matched, in 3 years that won't be the case, the 360 and PS3 will still be using the same hardware while I'm sitting behind a 10800GTX , Quad Core, and 8GB of RAM. If you can afford it, go for PC as an ethusiast. If you can't or don't want to stick to a console and just do a single upgrade every 5 years.

Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts

Isn't Crysis PC only, since the consoles can't handle it?

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

... Consoles are in no way becoming close to PCs.. They have yeas upon years to go.. Consoles do not have user made mod communities, customizability in both software, and hardware... The ability to play games over a decade old, being capable of doing things OTHER then play games.. Lets not forget a person who is smart and researchs can outperform any console out there for under $1000 easy..

I find the entire conclusion to your premise as very flimsy because pc is far more complicated.