Sci-Fi versus Fantasy (Poll)

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Nitrous2O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Nitrous2O
Member since 2004 • 1813 Posts

You guys lean more towards Sci-Fi, or Fantasy?

Think along the lines of:

Starcraft vs. Warcraft
Star Wars vs. Lord of the Rings
Mass Effect vs. Oblivion
Or whatever, just to get the idea across...

If there were two similar games, only different themes, and you can only pick one. Which would it be?

ADG_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 ADG_
Member since 2003 • 1654 Posts
Without doubt Sci-fi is what I prefer. The only fantasy-type of game I've enjoyed is Warcraft 2 This unfortunately means that 99% of all RPG games doesn't interest me at all, which is sad as I really like the general idea of RPG games :(
Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts
Fantasy
Darth_Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Darth_Kane
Member since 2006 • 2966 Posts
I'm so sick of fantasy games
TheMotherBrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 TheMotherBrain
Member since 2007 • 284 Posts

Sci-Fi all the way. Fantasy is always the same, there's never anything new. It's not nearly as interesting as the Sci-Fi genre.

Avatar image for Doom_HellKnight
Doom_HellKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Doom_HellKnight
Member since 2005 • 12217 Posts
I prefer Sci-Fi games.
Iron_will

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Iron_will
Member since 2007 • 2837 Posts

I like them both although I prefer Sci-fi.

mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 mfsa
Member since 2007 • 3328 Posts

I far prefer fantasy over science fiction.

My biggest problem with science fiction is that I find it pretty hard to relate to. It's always so distant, so clean and so computerised. Everything feels grey coloured to me when it's science fiction. And things usually are. There's almost never religion, and while I'm not religious myself, I really enjoy fanaticism.Holy wars. That's something you justnever see inscifi, usually.Now, don't get me wrong - scifi is awesome - but I think it takes a very particular style for it to appeal to me.

Fantasy, on the other hand, I just love. I love the clothes and the weapons, the fact that combat is man against man, metal and muscle. I love the speech styles, I love the grittiness of it, the brutality of it. I love how multiple races - with unique cultures and so forth - exist on the same planets more often than not. And most of all, I love magic. Magic can be done very poorly at times, but at its best, it's a raw, almost uncontrollable force of unimaginable power that can cause unimaginable destruction. That appeals to me.

I don't think its a coincidence that my favouroite roleplaying universe - Warhammer 40K, takes the best of each and merges them into my favouritest setting of all: Gothic Science Fantasy. I love how you can have genetic super humans in power armour fighting aliens on another planet, but they're using swords, screaming fanatical religious prayers as magic - an equivalent, anyway - flies around, with devastating effect.

I guess, to sum up in a sentence: I get much more out of stabbing someone with a sword than I do shootig them with a laser gun.

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
i overall prefer fantasty but genrally i have enjoyed fanatsy games more than sci fi. nbut i can read any kind of fanatsy story but i will only read sci-fi if it looks good
Grantelicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#10 Grantelicious
Member since 2007 • 1541 Posts

Sci-Fi all the way. Fantasy is always the same, there's never anything new. It's not nearly as interesting as the Sci-Fi genre.

TheMotherBrain
fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 fireandcloud
Member since 2005 • 5118 Posts
i prefer star wars, a great blend of fantasy and sci-fi. but if pressed to choose one or the other, i'd choose fantasy. i can't do without magic in most of my games.
Grantelicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Grantelicious

i prefer star wars, a great blend of fantasy and sci-fi. but if pressed to choose one or the other, i'd choose fantasy. i can't do without magic in most of my games.fireandcloud

Magic is useless compared to a good blaster kid.

ADG_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13 ADG_
Member since 2003 • 1654 Posts
[QUOTE="mfsa"]IMy biggest problem with science fiction is that I find it pretty hard to relate to.

This is one of the reason I like Sci-Fi more than fantasy. Sci-Fi is easy to relate to, while fantasy on the other hand is IMPOSSIBLE to relate to [QUOTE="mfsa"] Fantasy, on the other hand, I just love. I love the clothes and the weapons, the fact that combat is man against man, metal and muscle. I love the speech styles, I love the grittiness of it, the brutality of it. I love how multiple races - with unique cultures and so forth - exist on the same planets more often than not. And most of all, I love magic

You pretty much nailed everything that I don't like about fantasy (with magic being what I hate the most about it) :)
screamingknife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 screamingknife
Member since 2006 • 1513 Posts
But magic can block the blaster...(the force)...
Wetall_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Wetall_basic
Member since 2003 • 4086 Posts
I'd say Sci-Fi is more interesting to me,though I like sci-fi elements blended with fantasy worlds,like Elves with guns in a futuristic world casting spells. Only game I can think of that truely combind these is Shadowrun,the remake or whatever it was,which unfortunately wasn't very good.
mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mfsa

[QUOTE="mfsa"]IMy biggest problem with science fiction is that I find it pretty hard to relate to. ADG_
This is one of the reason I like Sci-Fi more than fantasy. Sci-Fi is easy to relate to, while fantasy on the other hand is IMPOSSIBLE to relate to
Fantasy, on the other hand, I just love. I love the clothes and the weapons, the fact that combat is man against man, metal and muscle. I love the speech styles, I love the grittiness of it, the brutality of it. I love how multiple races - with unique cultures and so forth - exist on the same planets more often than not. And most of all, I love magicmfsa
You pretty much nailed everything that I don't like about fantasy (with magic being what I hate the most about it) :)

I think the only solution here is for us to fight to the death!!!

Treadstone71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17 Treadstone71
Member since 2002 • 169 Posts
Sci Fi for me. Give me a gun any day over a stupid sword... I just love contemporary/future weapons.
dykunas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dykunas
Member since 2004 • 430 Posts
Well, i had my share of fantasy based games, so currently i want to see some more Fallout type of games
fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 fireandcloud

[QUOTE="fireandcloud"]i prefer star wars, a great blend of fantasy and sci-fi. but if pressed to choose one or the other, i'd choose fantasy. i can't do without magic in most of my games.Grantelicious

thanks for calling me a kid. and i'd disagree. i'd cast protection from energy, then time stop, and steal the blaster from you. then i'd blast you with your own blaster, just for the irony.

redeemer_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 redeemer_spawn
Member since 2007 • 45 Posts
I prefer fantsy over sci-fi games.,
Kh1ndjal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Kh1ndjal
Member since 2003 • 2788 Posts

i dont like sci-fi RPGs because they will give u a ton of words that you have no idea about

if a sword is a faser-taser-light-thingy and ranged weapon is plasma-shmasma-blasta i have to spend hours just figuring out what they mean. and then the next time i see a homo-geno-robo-machine i forget its use. sometimes the visuals are not as easy to make sense of either (a futuristic device is something that someone thought up of, unless he tells what it is, theres no way i can tell what it is just by looking at it).

otherwise, i think sci-fi games are a good change of pace, (starcraft, star wars shooters i really enjoyed)

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
[QUOTE="Grantelicious"]

[QUOTE="fireandcloud"]i prefer star wars, a great blend of fantasy and sci-fi. but if pressed to choose one or the other, i'd choose fantasy. i can't do without magic in most of my games.fireandcloud

thanks for calling me a kid. and i'd disagree. i'd cast protection from energy, then time stop, and steal the blaster from you. then i'd blast you with your own blaster, just for the irony.

hmm.. nice. how about turning sci fi kids into frog :P

imhioncrak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 imhioncrak
Member since 2005 • 31 Posts
Fantasy for sure, although it hasn't been done well lately, i love getting a sword or axe and hack my way through enemies, i usually hate ranged weapons, such as bows, so when it comes to FPS's they have to be amazing, like half-life or CoD. Sci-Fi just gets boring, cuz its always a bunch or lasers on some planet and you follow some linear path all the way through, which can be good sometimes, but not usually. I did like advent rising though, and that was about as sci-fi as you could get, and system shock 2
Lazdude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Lazdude
Member since 2004 • 1520 Posts
I have always preferred sci-fi, and I always will.
JP_Russell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JP_Russell
Member since 2005 • 12893 Posts
This poll needs a "both" option. I have no preference of one over the other, I like them both the same, so I can't vote. :(
mfsa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mfsa
[QUOTE="Grantelicious"]

[QUOTE="fireandcloud"]i prefer star wars, a great blend of fantasy and sci-fi. but if pressed to choose one or the other, i'd choose fantasy. i can't do without magic in most of my games.fireandcloud

He's actually paraphrasing a Han Solo line from Star Wars IV. I doubt he intended any hostility.

OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 OoSuperMarioO
Member since 2005 • 6539 Posts

[QUOTE="fireandcloud"]i prefer star wars, a great blend of fantasy and sci-fi. but if pressed to choose one or the other, i'd choose fantasy. i can't do without magic in most of my games.Grantelicious

Magic>Rifle
OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 OoSuperMarioO
As for which category is best it all depends on the story and atmosphere of character with environments. Hell they both involve imagination.
fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 fireandcloud
[QUOTE="fireandcloud"][QUOTE="Grantelicious"]

[QUOTE="fireandcloud"]i prefer star wars, a great blend of fantasy and sci-fi. but if pressed to choose one or the other, i'd choose fantasy. i can't do without magic in most of my games.mfsa

He's actually paraphrasing a Han Solo line from Star Wars IV. I doubt he intended any hostility.

ah, yes. he butchered the line a bit. it's 'no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.' but still, i was a bit slow on the uptake. thanks for clearing that up.

jmanw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30 jmanw
Member since 2006 • 298 Posts
FANTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!! :D:D:D:D:DD::D
Nitrous2O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Nitrous2O
Member since 2004 • 1813 Posts

Fantasy for sure, although it hasn't been done well lately, i love getting a sword or axe and hack my way through enemies, i usually hate ranged weapons, such as bows, so when it comes to FPS's they have to be amazing, like half-life or CoD. Sci-Fi just gets boring, cuz its always a bunch or lasers on some planet and you follow some linear path all the way through, which can be good sometimes, but not usually. I did like advent rising though, and that was about as sci-fi as you could get, and system shock 2imhioncrak

I was actually thinking less about what's been implemented so far, but more conceptually.

Think about the "perfect game", hypothetically of course. Should it be set in a sci-fi universe or fantasy universe for you?

Personally, I'm a sci-fi fan, so it's very interesting to hear your opinions :)

I just never deeply got into elves, trolls, hobbits, or stuff like Dungeons and Dragons, or Might and Magic games, etc. But I love sci-fi, stuff like Star Wars, Star Trek, Battlestar Galactica, etc.

ps. sorry, I intentionally left out a "both" option, no indecision allowed :P (flip a coin if you need to, if you are that indecisive, then that's probably similar to the method you'd use between identical games with different themes if you could only have one)

harrisi17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#32 harrisi17
Member since 2004 • 4010 Posts

I definately prefer fantasy, with the exception of the star wars movies (I love them), I don't really like sci fi. I have DoW, but don't play it much. I loved oblivion, the lotr RTS games (and of course the movies), now the witcher, and many others (warcraft 2,3, ...)

Crysis is great for the little amount I played it, but it seems more of the near future than true sci fi (well, I haven't gotten to the aliens yet). I don't hate either one, like both, just fantasy more :)

Grantelicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Grantelicious
[QUOTE="Grantelicious"]

That was a star wars joke cause than han solo guy saying "no match for a good blaster kid".

fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 fireandcloud
[QUOTE="fireandcloud"][QUOTE="Grantelicious"]

That was a star wars joke cause than han solo guy saying "no match for a good blaster kid".

got it. i'm a bit slow on the uptake today, i'm afraid.

gner_spree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 gner_spree
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

EVE-ONLINEor WOW? Of course EVE-ONLINE. WOW is just too easy and childish..when in eve you have to actually think, plan your steps ahead and cooperate with people in order to achieve something, and in WOW you just kill hogs to gain XP and do boring quests all the time...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#36 42316
Member since 2006 • 1502 Posts

Lets just say that I'd rather get a kick butt twin barrel machine gune with incendary ammo with a hint of uranium.....added with a mini rocket launcher on the side of that mini gun...............then a long sword that adds 5 to my dexterity and attack speed.....although i like stuff like Devil may Cry which might be fantasy.......lets just say that anything along the lines of Oblivion& WOWis just not my thing unless its something really really special.....and that I normally stick to the star wars type games and the modern games like CoD

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
Indifferent, I equally like both realms.. Thus why Warhammer 40k is one of the most interesting universes imo.. It blends numerosu elements from both universes making for a spectacularly unique experience.. Where swords, hammers etc are just as useful as guns, where demons, and gods exist.. Etc etc..
lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 lordlors
Member since 2004 • 6128 Posts
I will always prefer Fantasy over sci-fi. I prefer twin blades and magic/sorcery over guns.
Dalek200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39 Dalek200
Member since 2007 • 171 Posts

Personally I prefer Cardboard Boxesbut as this is about Games i will have to go withSci-Fi but the Elder Scrolls Series is Awesome. Well oblivion is and that is the only one I have played, but they start work on Number 5 when Fallout 3 is released.

Drrizztt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Drrizztt
Member since 2007 • 53 Posts
I like fantasy but i would have to say I like Sci-fi more.
mimic-Denmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#41 mimic-Denmark
Member since 2006 • 4382 Posts

I almost cant stand fantasy with midgets with big axes on horses.

But i love Sci-Fi and horror. Thats why i love games like Deus Ex or Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines and never really liked anything based in fantasy.

Soothsayerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Soothsayerr
Member since 2006 • 196 Posts

Which one will w1n? Out of sight, out of mind, will be pulling for Sci-fi.

1 Vote - Fantasy. Big daunting mourning stars, ripping into hordes of ironclad flesh. Leaving massive piles of dead, bloody heaps behind. Beats out a little pew pew, any day for me.

1 Vote - Sci-Fi. Stranded on a post-apocalyptic, war ruined alien world. Battling off gnarly toothed, razor hided behemoths. With only your advanced cybernetic nano-suits, and arm mounted lazar cannons, for melting monster's faces. Beats out a flower pooting elf anyday for me.

:question:

RandV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 RandV
Member since 2006 • 69 Posts
I wonder if you can sort sci-fi/fantasy people into demographs. I like Fantasy myself, being athletic and into martial arts, man to man melee combat has always had far more appeal than shooting at each other from a distance with instant kill weapons. Also prefer the more natural environment of fantasy compared to the metallic hi-tech worlds and space ships of sci-fi.
SouRoNas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SouRoNas
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

Fantasy > Sci-fi

In sci-fi game: warrior (or whatever) stands in one place (battlefield) and shoots everyone with his laser-smazer-tiny-sminy-gun, that's not very enjoyable to me. ^^

While in fantasy game: it's all about technique. Amazingly fast sword fighting or amazing skill with bow (i just love Wood elves), lots of different magic; weapons are so simple and at the same time so beautiful..

Also i have NEVER been sucked in sci-fi game story. It's almost always boring to me. (i love astrology - so i do play sci-fi)

But fantasy games is satisfaction for me. almost every time it has interesting, deep story; emotional characters and beautiful places. (:

OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 OoSuperMarioO

Fantasy > Sci-fi

In sci-fi game: warrior (or whatever) stands in one place (battlefield) and shoots everyone with his laser-smazer-tiny-sminy-gun, that's notvery enjoyable to me. ^^

While in fantasy game: it's all about technique. Amazingly fast sword fighting or amazing skill with bow (i just love Wood elves), lots of different magic; weapons are so simple and at the same time so beautiful..

Also i haveNEVER been sucked in sci-fi game story. It's almostalways boring to me. (i love astrology - so i do play sci-fi)

But fantasy games issatisfaction for me. almost every time it has interesting, deepstory; emotionalcharacters and beautiful places. (:

SouRoNas

Then you must not understand the powers of the force. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NE5elL30w4

NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
Sci-fi. I'm a technophile at heart, and couldn't possibly live without what things like guns, vehicles, computers, etc. I do like the brutal melee combat that medieval fantasy brings, but I HATE the general image of magic and sorcery portrayed in most games/movies/books-you just stand there, saying some random blabber, and then something supernatural happens. I don't want to yell something every time I want to chuck a fireball at someone, I just want to make a throwing motion that happens to have a fireball coming from a previously-empty hand. I also don't want to yell an incantation just to use powers like telekinesis or whatnot. That said, I would like more combinations of the two. FASA's Shadowrun universe is a good example(and I'm not talking about the crap that was the PC/X360 game).
ElArab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ElArab
Member since 2007 • 5754 Posts

I like them both, and they both tend to be equally cheesy, but when I think "sci-fi" VERSUS "fantasy, then I'm thinking of like, Warhammer vs. Warhammer 40k, 40k is so much cooler! I wonder though, Star Wars or LotR....They're both cheesy and awesome (I mean c'mon, the death star had this like...tiny hole in it...shoot it...and BOOM there goes billions of dollars.)

Eh, whatever, I like Sci-Fi more.

Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#48 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts
Sci-fi, but both are great... I like a combination of the two, too.
lordlors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 lordlors
Member since 2004 • 6128 Posts
which is better: steampunk or cyberpunk?
NamelessPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 NamelessPlayer
Member since 2004 • 7729 Posts
which is better: steampunk or cyberpunk?lordlors
Cyberpunk(again, I NEED computers!), but steampunk has this nice aesthetic to it. (Perhaps you've seen the picture of that steampunk PC mod featuring an altered LCD and a keyboard whose keys look like those on an antique cash register? Or that huge collection of steampunk watches?)