Rumor: Blizzard might add microtransactions to WoW

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 0

#1 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts

Excerpt of the story:

While the subscription model was once law in the land of MMOs, World of Warcraft is now one of the few games in the genre that hasn't switched over to a free-to-play or microtransaction-driven business model. That could be changing in the next update, judging by an item discovered in a public test version of the game. One sharp-eyed user spotted a potion that is listed as being purchasable from a yet-to-be-implemented in-game store.

The potion in question doubles the amount of experience points earned from killing monsters and completing quests, which would be an easy way for Blizzard to reap some income from impatient players if this truly is the start of a microtransaction item trade. The item was discovered through datamining from the latest Public Test Realm build, and is identified as part of the "5.4 In-Game Store."

Full Article: Here

So, what could this mean? Will Blizzard continue the P2P model and add microtransactions items or will they finally embrace the F2P model like Rift, ToR and many other MMORPG?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58968 Posts

You can buy mounts, they already did. On top of your overpriced game, with it's sub-fee.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

I don't play WOW but this kind of double-dipping is ridiculous. I don't care how unobtrusive they are, microtransactions on top of a subscription is like a slap in the face. 

Pinkscare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Pinkscare
Member since 2013 • 57 Posts
I don't play WoW. However, I loved Warcraft I & II.
Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

people that pay real money for virtual items have serious issues

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

Flubbbs

coming from a runescape player who did that a few years ago, I agree(me not you)

Geosisnl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Geosisnl
Member since 2009 • 143 Posts

I don't play WoW. However, I loved Warcraft I & II.Pinkscare

How is this relevant to this topic?

Ontopic: If they decide to add microtransactions to this already P2P game I'm sure they will lose a substantial amount of subscribers. Even paying for mounts was pushing it but if they go further I don't see it go well in the long run. But hey, it's Blizzard... so who knows.

4StringSamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 4StringSamurai
Member since 2008 • 277 Posts

[QUOTE="Pinkscare"]I don't play WoW. However, I loved Warcraft I & II.Geosisnl

Ontopic: If they decide to add microtransactions to this already P2P game I'm sure they will lose a substantial amount of subscribers. Even paying for mounts was pushing it but if they go further I don't see it go well in the long run. But hey, it's Blizzard... so who knows.

If people didn't leave after the option to pay for mounts then I doubt they will leave after a cash shop gets implemented.

HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 HyperWarlock
Member since 2011 • 3295 Posts

Don't care - It's not like they force you to buy stuff. Also - this might not even happen.

Pinkscare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Pinkscare

Flubbbs
Yeah, look at those Steam badges...
Pinkscare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Pinkscare

[QUOTE="Pinkscare"]I don't play WoW. However, I loved Warcraft I & II.Geosisnl

Sorry for making a comment, forum police. What I meant to say was, I'm glad I never jumped into WoW.
Avatar image for Gamesterpheonix
Gamesterpheonix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Gamesterpheonix
Member since 2005 • 3676 Posts

[QUOTE="Flubbbs"]

TheShadowLord07

coming from a runescape player who did that a few years ago, I agree(me not you)

I agree. I never fall for that crap. Hate it with a passion. With regards to WoW though - I dont know if its a money grab or a money grab and transition towards F2P. I mean look at Team Fortress 2. They did the whole microtransaction thing and then bam it was F2P. Who knows in this case but with such huge population drop off - something has to give. Other F2P MMOs have millions of player (I have no idea why) so its totally possible. It would just be a little different for WoW (also similar to TF2) in that the game is very successful and going F2P doesnt necessarily mean they will have an intrusive system like other F2P MMOs. TF2 is basically the same game it was before F2P with a stupid item system that is just annoying to see sometimes.
_SKatEDiRt_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 _SKatEDiRt_
Member since 2007 • 3117 Posts

I don't play WOW but this kind of double-dipping is ridiculous. I don't care how unobtrusive they are, microtransactions on top of a subscription is like a slap in the face. 

Vari3ty

Live Xbox live and paying for petty pictures and gamertags and even paying to change your name. 

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#14 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

Excerpt of the story:

While the subscription model was once law in the land of MMOs, World of Warcraft is now one of the few games in the genre that hasn't switched over to a free-to-play or microtransaction-driven business model. That could be changing in the next update, judging by an item discovered in a public test version of the game. One sharp-eyed user spotted a potion that is listed as being purchasable from a yet-to-be-implemented in-game store.

The potion in question doubles the amount of experience points earned from killing monsters and completing quests, which would be an easy way for Blizzard to reap some income from impatient players if this truly is the start of a microtransaction item trade. The item was discovered through datamining from the latest Public Test Realm build, and is identified as part of the "5.4 In-Game Store."

Full Article: Here

So, what could this mean? Will Blizzard continue the P2P model and add microtransactions items or will they finally embrace the F2P model like Rift, ToR and many other MMORPG?

Miroku32
Could someone explain to me the business sense there would be for World of Warcraft a game which last i checked had almost 9million paying active subscribers to switch over to F2P and thereby loosing out on a steady income. What makes a ton of more sense is that Blizzard continue to do what they are doing and just add more things you can buy which provide even more income. And no company goes F2P because they want to or because this model is better than paid monthly sub. Companies do it because otherwise people wouldn´t play their game.
Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Jacanuk

Flubbbs
People that pay real money for alcohol, drugs, movies, candy, some food is someone with a serious issue.
Deadpool-n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Deadpool-n
Member since 2012 • 489 Posts

Sounds like it is going to go free to play. Don't forget they just had a big sale on the expansions.

Pinkscare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Pinkscare
[QUOTE="Flubbbs"]

Jacanuk
People that pay real money for alcohol, drugs, movies, candy, some food is someone with a serious issue.

You have a solid point. Who are we to say someone has issues for what they buy... unless it happens to be human feces or something.
Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

Flubbbs

Not as badly as closed minded individuals who can only think up to a very brief length before they shut down and automatically label anyone beyond that fence as having serious issues.

I dont buy virtual items but I can understand the concept. Say someone really only plays a couple games, they buy some virtual items each month for said game, so for 10 bucks a price of a movie ticket they gets weeks worth of entertainment. My best friend has on many occasions for the sims 3. Its the only game she plays really but she has gotten years out of enjoyment out of the game.

Besides if you ever bought a dlc pack for a game you have done the same thing. You paid for some imaginary levels in a game that you wont ever actually own. Ever bought a digital game? Well then again you are paying for a virtual item that only is exclusive to one specific thing and is never a product you can truly own and it will not be yours forever. So I guess youre saying the billions of people who buy digital games and dlc have serious issues as well.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#19 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58968 Posts

Flubbbs

Not really. If someone is investing 50-500 hours into something it obviously has value to the person.

ojugyujxsygrh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ojugyujxsygrh
Member since 2006 • 73 Posts

You guys are all assuming they will be keeping the subscription as it is and add microtransactions on top of it?

If they do it, im expecting them to lower the sub fees in order to make the initial purchase more attractive, since there are so many expansions, so it is starting to get confusing for newcomers.

Here is a blue post

"We are currently exploring the possibility of adding a way for players in certain regions to make purchases directly within the game. As part of this process, elements related to this will be appearing on the PTR. Well provide additional updates on our plans as development progresses."

"certain regions" Maybe this is just for asia where the game is played largely via internet cafes? After all if you are paying by the hour, extra exp seems like something perfectly suited to the internet cafe environment.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Jacanuk

Sounds like it is going to go free to play. Don't forget they just had a big sale on the expansions.

Deadpool-n

Could you please explain to me how you came to that conclusion? While you do that, Activision reported that the first 3 months of 2013 made them close to 300mill$ which after debts, gave them a profit of aprx. 40million. In comparrison Nsoft reported that Guild wars 2 had a sale of 168mill$ which landed them a profit of 50mill, which yes is more, but compare that with WoW´s expense for operation which is 265mill$ So please give me one a good reason as to why Blizzard/Activsion would go F2P.and not just add microtransactions which we all know 99% of games will do in the future.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Jacanuk

You guys are all assuming they will be keeping the subscription as it is and add microtransactions on top of it?

If they do it, im expecting them to lower the sub fees in order to make the initial purchase more attractive, since there are so many expansions, so it is starting to get confusing for newcomers.

Here is a blue post

"We are currently exploring the possibility of adding a way for players in certain regions to make purchases directly within the game. As part of this process, elements related to this will be appearing on the PTR. Well provide additional updates on our plans as development progresses."

"certain regions" Maybe this is just for asia where the game is played largely via internet cafes? After all if you are paying by the hour, extra exp seems like something perfectly suited to the internet cafe environment.

ojugyujxsygrh
Why would you assume they would lower the sub fee? do you think a lot of people that are active now, would disapear because they get to add more things to their account? Infact WoW might even see a increase in the casual gamer base, since they now can buy their way to better Eq, better stats, faster leveling and so on.
soolkiki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 soolkiki
Member since 2008 • 1783 Posts

If it makes money, businesses will probably do it.

ojugyujxsygrh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ojugyujxsygrh
Member since 2006 • 73 Posts

[QUOTE="ojugyujxsygrh"]

Here is a blue post

Jacanuk

Why would you assume they would lower the sub fee? do you think a lot of people that are active now, would disapear because they get to add more things to their account? Infact WoW might even see a increase in the casual gamer base, since they now can buy their way to better Eq, better stats, faster leveling and so on.

To bring more new people in, I have no idea what you are talking about otherwise. Even in the case of wow, lower fees/f2p will lead to a massive jump in playerbase. Everyone has heard of it already, and i know everyone will try it if it was f2p. If it's more profitable in the long term or not, i have no idea. I'm sure they have the data on this stuff though.

Regardless, im betting this is for asia, not the US.

vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#25 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts

Flubbbs
There are people who think you have serious issues for playing a video game.....which you also pay for by the way. You are not immune to being judged either.
-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#26 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

I hate being forced to buy optional stuff that gives me an advantage over other people.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#27 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

[QUOTE="ojugyujxsygrh"]

Infact WoW might even see a increase in the casual gamer base, since they now can buy their way to better Eq, better stats, faster leveling and so on.Jacanuk

What I got from that sentence is that you really don't have a clue about WoW's past, present or any probable plans Blizzard have for it in the future.

RoccoHout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 RoccoHout
Member since 2011 • 1086 Posts

They already have microtransactions, its called the Blizzard Store.

A mount for 20 dollars, and a pet for 10 dollars...

bonafidetk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 bonafidetk
Member since 2004 • 3911 Posts
WoW has been double dipping for a few years now. Just look on their website. It doesnt surprise me at all that they're going to start charging real money for potions in a pay-2-play game.
Avatar image for IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#31 IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
Member since 2006 • 1508 Posts

Vari3ty
I quit WoW shortly into Cataclysm but I agree with this post. I would personally not buy anything if I am paying for a sub.
JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

I don't see Blizzard making World of Warcraft F2P anytime soon. It's install base is so large, doing something like that would be kinda crazy.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
.. Yeah can't say that I really care about this, specifically with a potion.. Scroll of Resurrection for instance gives you the ability to AUTOMATICALLY raise any character to level 80 already..
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

Flubbbs
So I guess a person who buys a DVD of a cartoon also has serious issues, cause you know, the cartoon doesn't really exist...
Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Jacanuk
What I got from that sentence is that you really don't have a clue about WoW's past, present or any probable plans Blizzard have for it in the future.-Unreal-
Eh? could you try again perhaps this time try to form a working sentence which people can read and actually understand what your trying to point out.
DefconRave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#36 DefconRave
Member since 2013 • 806 Posts
Since acti and blizzard merged it's all gone downhill. rip blizzard, once respected by pc gamers.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 FelipeInside
Since acti and blizzard merged it's all gone downhill. rip blizzard, once respected by pc gamers.DefconRave
StarCraft 2 doesn't agree with you...
DefconRave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#38 DefconRave
Member since 2013 • 806 Posts
[QUOTE="DefconRave"]Since acti and blizzard merged it's all gone downhill. rip blizzard, once respected by pc gamers.FelipeInside

Diablo 3 does :D
Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Miroku32
[QUOTE="DefconRave"]Since acti and blizzard merged it's all gone downhill. rip blizzard, once respected by pc gamers.FelipeInside

Although the story in SC2 is laughable. And I was expecting HoTS to have a decent story :cry:
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="DefconRave"]Since acti and blizzard merged it's all gone downhill. rip blizzard, once respected by pc gamers.Miroku32

Although the story in SC2 is laughable. And I was expecting HoTS to have a decent story :cry:

Story is fine. People these days forget that it's a VIDEO GAME and expect a best selling book.
Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Miroku32
[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] Story is fine. People these days forget that it's a VIDEO GAME and expect a best selling book.

Well, after Brood War I was expecting another story full of betrayals and unexpected twists... not prophecies.
FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 FelipeInside
[QUOTE="Miroku32"][QUOTE="FelipeInside"] Story is fine. People these days forget that it's a VIDEO GAME and expect a best selling book.

Well, after Brood War I was expecting another story full of betrayals and unexpected twists... not prophecies.

U can only do so many betrayals and twists.... we have Game of Thrones for that, lol.....
gunmaster55555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 gunmaster55555
Member since 2009 • 712 Posts

Flubbbs
People that say stuff like this not only have serious issues but have a case of stupidity. Should go see a doctor to get it cured.
vfibsux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#44 vfibsux
Member since 2003 • 4497 Posts
[QUOTE="Flubbbs"]

gunmaster55555
People that say stuff like this not only have serious issues but have a case of stupidity. Should go see a doctor to get it cured.

lol, I agree. I was just thinking about a mount I bought in Rift that was available on the store for like $5 worth of gems. People were complaining on the forums because of all the hours they spent grinding to get this mount before f2p hit. Hours upon hours and hours of grinding, now available for $5. I could NEVER stomach grinding faction or lucky coins to get these rare mounts, I just always settled with my crap mounts so I could enjoy the game rather than make it a second job. So now I ask you Mr. Flubbbs.....who has the issues here? The people who spend hours of their lives.....TIME, something that cannot be replace, to grind out for something (the word grind implies boring, repetitive work) virtual.....or the dude who spent $5 on it, roughly the equivalent of 9 minutes of work on my salary. I think I'm okay with that.......
SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

Making it f2p would probably be the ultimate coup de grace for wow atm, its hard enough finding a group of semi competent players as it is already.  I don't think that is whats going to happen though, more likely you can spend even more of your money on a game you already pay a sub for.

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#46 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
I don't play WoW. However, I loved Warcraft I & II.Pinkscare
Warcraft 2 was amazing. Hoping they make a Warcraft 4 and make it like the old style top down view.
James00715

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 James00715
Member since 2003 • 2484 Posts

It's just a matter of time until they switch it over to F2P. They are hemorrhaging subscribers. At the current rate they are losing 5.2 million subscribers per year. It will shut down within two years if they don't convert it to F2P. I hope when that happens the WoW team can start work on Warcraft 4. Any left over developers can move over to Titan.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Jacanuk

It's just a matter of time until they switch it over to F2P. They are hemorrhaging subscribers. At the current rate they are losing 5.2 million subscribers per year. It will shut down within two years if they don't convert it to F2P. I hope when that happens the WoW team can start work on Warcraft 4. Any left over developers can move over to Titan.

James00715
Are you drunk or something? since 2010 which was their best year, they had 10mill active subs, they now have around 8.3-8.5mill subs. which most of the loss in subs being from Asia. Also they have increased their income from 278mill in Q4 2012 to 300mill in Q1 2013, so again why would anyone remove that income? I dont get people and their F2P and statments like its the next wheel
SaintJimmmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SaintJimmmy
Member since 2007 • 2815 Posts
I really think it's time for them to switch over to F2P WoW is still a really popular thing but, i don't think they're is any denying that it isn't what it used to be.
Gooeykat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#50 Gooeykat
Member since 2006 • 3412 Posts
Haven't they already done this to some extent, someone else mentioned mounts?