RPG without a combat-essential storyline?

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

brunalven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 brunalven
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

Combat in RPG has always played a central part, but now it seems the RPG elements seems to vanish more and more, leaving only combat, FPS style. Where is the RPG with a story that has problems and solutions that can push the game forward without using combat? Take the RPG Vampire: the Masquerade for instance. Lots of combat, but also almost no combat if you wanted to solve the game without violence. I want a RPG with lots of customization, good storyline with voiced dialogue and options to resolve problems without always using combat. Where is it? Anyone?

Falconoffury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Falconoffury
Member since 2003 • 1722 Posts

I haven't played it yet, but I heard that Deus Ex: Human Revolution can be completed in a largely non-lethal manner, except for the boss fights.

bigbeebis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 bigbeebis
Member since 2007 • 705 Posts

I haven't played it yet, but I heard that Deus Ex: Human Revolution can be completed in a largely non-lethal manner, except for the boss fights.

Falconoffury
^That
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

Well, theres Planescape:Torment. A high Wisdom score will get you out of most combat situations. Even so, you're immortal, so failure in combat is nearly meaningless. Older title, so it doesn't meet all of your requirements.

Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

That's certainly one thing that's quickly becoming non existent.

It's funny that at the same time, the combat in RPGs are becoming much worse.

brunalven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 brunalven

@falconoffury and BigBeebis

Sure, but Deus Ex offers almost no customization besides implants, you can't create your own character with personality. You're playing a security dude with implants in Deus Ex. Sure, I liked the dialogue and the social options, but still too narrow, with only stealth/violence options to resolve situations just like Splinter Cell games. Not enough RPG for me.

@Xaosll

I liked Planescape Torment when it came. But it still got a D&D-system that made the game a very combat-based experience. You couldn't get to a very high level by being social, for instance. Most of the XP to level you got from slaying monsters.

bigbeebis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bigbeebis

@falconoffury and BigBeebis

Sure, but Deus Ex offers almost no customization besides implants, you can't create your own character with personality. You're playing a security dude with implants in Deus Ex. Sure, I liked the dialogue and the social options, but still too narrow, with only stealth/violence options to resolve situations just like Splinter Cell games. Not enough RPG for me.

@Xaosll

I liked Planescape Torment when it came. But it still got a D&D-system that made the game a very combat-based experience. You couldn't get to a very high level by being social, for instance. Most of the XP to level you got from slaying monsters.

brunalven
The only thing that comes to my mind is Mass Effect, but it's as far from solving things non-violently as it can get.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#8 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Read a book?

Croag821

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Croag821
Member since 2009 • 2331 Posts
Hmm I really can't think of an RPG like the one you described...honestly Deus Ex games are about as close to Vampire: TM as your going to get.
tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

Fallout, I think.

bigbeebis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 bigbeebis

Fallout, I think.

tjricardo089

Lol? I have played all the titles in the series and I cannot think of a way how to do a runthrough without killing anything. And Fallout 3 literally screams "violence" with its slow-mo skull dissolution.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts
Risen has a lot of combat, but also a lot of stuff that can be solved without killing anyone.
AzinAshe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AzinAshe
Member since 2011 • 44 Posts

Falconoffury
This. You don't even need to even stun or take out a guard the entire time.
brunalven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 brunalven

@Wasdie

Why? Do you know any book that interacts? Do you know any good books that let's me customize my own character and makes me feel like I'm part of the story?

Darth_Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 Darth_Kane
Member since 2006 • 2966 Posts

RPG without combat == adventure games

Try Broken Sword, Syberia, Monkey Island

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

Fallout NV has a lot of non-combat choices. Yes, you do still have to shoot things in the face but there are quite a few quests you can solve by simply talking your way out of the situation. Both Fallout and Fallout 2 can be played with never killing anything, too.

Unfortunately, not many new RPGs do what you're asking for but that's mostly because, regardless what the developers and publishers call them, they're not really RPGs. Your character choices (if they can even be called choices) basically boil down to playing either a good Rambo who shoots everything in the face or a slightly grumpy, "bad" Rambo, who also shoots everything in the face.

Then again, most new RPGs are designed to be played by soccer moms so....uhm....yeah....

brunalven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 brunalven

Darth_Kane

You´re missing the point. RPG without combat is NOT the same as adventure games. Also, I'm not after a RPG without combat, just a RPG where combat is non-essential.

Also, let me add something to the discussion: Is it only I that demand this of the RPG-industry and everybody else wants RPG to be solely about combat? Or is it just no market to satisfy the needs for old geezers, like me?

MythPro1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MythPro1
Member since 2003 • 2746 Posts
The choice to use violence or not is what makes it an RPG.
brunalven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 brunalven

The choice to use violence or not is what makes it an RPG. MythPro1

I totally agree, so why can't I do that in RPG's? Skyrim for instance? Or the Witcher? Or Fallout NV? Or Mass Effect? Or Dragon Age?

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#20 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

@Wasdie

Why? Do you know any book that interacts? Do you know any good books that let's me customize my own character and makes me feel like I'm part of the story?

brunalven

Looney Tunes colour books?

brunalven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 brunalven

[QUOTE="brunalven"]

@Wasdie

DraugenCP

Oh, look! Another funny guy.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#22 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

@Wasdie

brunalven

Can't make your own character (so pretend it's a JRPG) but here.

You're really just talking about an interactive novel. Without the combat there isn't much to most games. I do know that you'll be able to play Mass Effect 3 without actually doing any combat. You can literally just talk to people.

Croag821

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Croag821
Member since 2009 • 2331 Posts
The Sims...RPG's have always had combat in them and seeing how you consider Deus Ex too linear I don't think your going to find anything close to what you want out their.
ReaverKS2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ReaverKS2
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
fallout :p
bussinrounds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 bussinrounds
Member since 2009 • 3324 Posts

Arcanum ? It's made by Trokia, the same ones devs that did Bloodlines. Most combat can be avoided in Planescape, like a previous poster had mentioned.

Ragingbear505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#26 Ragingbear505
Member since 2008 • 819 Posts

Hmmm it's easier to find something like that in mmos where there exist non-combat classes but an rpg where combat isn't essential? That's tough and you'd pretty much be looking at the sandbox genre exclusively. It also depends what you believe constitutes an rpg, if you're looking for say, something like a DnD based system I don't think a game like that exists.

skrat_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 skrat_01
Member since 2007 • 33767 Posts
Planescape Arcanum Vampire, kind of then there's other games that aren't necessarily rpgs like To the Moon.
Mazoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#28 Mazoch
Member since 2004 • 2473 Posts

Combat in RPG has always played a central part, but now it seems the RPG elements seems to vanish more and more, leaving only combat, FPS style. Where is the RPG with a story that has problems and solutions that can push the game forward without using combat? Take the RPG Vampire: the Masquerade for instance. Lots of combat, but also almost no combat if you wanted to solve the game without violence. I want a RPG with lots of customization, good storyline with voiced dialogue and options to resolve problems without always using combat. Where is it? Anyone?

brunalven

Interesting post.

I don't think there's any games out there that matches what you're talking about. There are some that have elements of it though:

Fallout 1-2 and NV. The games tend to be fairly good (though not consistent) about offering you a non-combat way out. However, while it's a neat touch it's also fairly clear that the designers expected players to use combat a lot if not most of the time.

Deus Ex. I disagree with Deus Ex in this context, as much as I love the game, it's not really a game that can be played without engaging in combat. It might give you non-lethal combat options, but combat nevertheless. Shooting someone with a tranquilizer dart is still combat.

Mass Effect 1-2. While you cannot avoid combat by any stretch of the imagination, the game does offer a strong emphasis on non-combat-centric character dialog, story and choice. So while the game certainly forces you into a lot of combat, it's also one of the games with the most non-combat activities.

Another interesting option might be King of Dragon Pass. There's a couple of caveats for this on as well. For one, the PC version is from '99, though the game was recently re-released for iPod and iPad's. Second the focus is on 'your' tribe rather than a main character and lastly there's not voice.

It does however do a very good job of offering both combat and non-combat options to solve your problems along with very deep game play and lots of story. -www.gamezebo.com/games/king-dragon-pass/review

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

Hmm...I've always found Arcanum to be a fairly combat intensive game and, unlike FO and FO2, I don't believe it is possible to complete the game without ever fighting. I suppose it might be possible to crank up beauty and charisma and let your companions do all the heavy lifting but that's really just splitting hairs, it's still combat.

Out of newer RPGs, I still find NV to be one of the few that actually lets players minimize (although, sadly, not eliminate) the role combat plays in character development.

In RPGs I usually make my character with a high speech skill so I can limit the amount of combat but now that I've been enlightened (thank you Gamespot!) I think I'd be better off reading a book or playing adventure games instead. I had no idea that had been playing my RPGs all wrong! :roll:

CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30 CaptainAhab13
Member since 2010 • 5121 Posts
There is a fair amount of combat, but the storyline doesn't center around it. I'd check out the Geneforge series, by Spiderweb Software.
Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

RPG without combat is called an adventure game.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#32 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Try Avadon, Planscape Torment or New Vegas. Dont fit all the stuff you asked but some of them.

Avatar image for deactivated-6243ee9902175
deactivated-6243ee9902175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-6243ee9902175
Member since 2007 • 5847 Posts

[QUOTE="tjricardo089"]

Fallout, I think.

bigbeebis

Lol? I have played all the titles in the series and I cannot think of a way how to do a runthrough without killing anything. And Fallout 3 literally screams "violence" with its slow-mo skull dissolution.

You can go through the entire game without killing anyone, I've done it. Even made the final boss kill himself through dialog options.

brunalven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 brunalven

Johnny_Rock

Why? I can't find that definition? To me RPG is the opportunity to customize a character to make it unique in the gameworld and then have the possibility to make different choices in the game that changes the storyline. And I don't mean just skill customization, but also character look and personality customization. Can't get that in an adventure game.

Thx Mazoch and -wildflower- for your insightful input!

I do know that you'll be able to play Mass Effect 3 without actually doing any combat. You can literally just talk to people.

Wasdie

How do you figure? Don't get me wrong, I love ME1 and ME2, but there's no avoiding combat in those games. So why would ME3 be any different. To me it seems like the ME-series is getting less RPG and more FPS.

ArchonOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#35 ArchonOver
Member since 2010 • 1103 Posts

[QUOTE="tjricardo089"]

Fallout, I think.

bigbeebis

Fallout 1 can be finished without killing a SINGLE enemy by weapon. Fallout 2 could ALMOST be done, but the last boss fight is there. However, you can make it so that everyone else fights the boss without, so you just stand there. Only with Fallout 3 did it turn into a combat based game.
scoots9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#36 scoots9
Member since 2006 • 3505 Posts

The first half or so of Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines.

Mazoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 Mazoch
Member since 2004 • 2473 Posts

[QUOTE="bigbeebis"]

[QUOTE="tjricardo089"]

Fallout, I think.

ArchonOver

Fallout 1 can be finished without killing a SINGLE enemy by weapon. Fallout 2 could ALMOST be done, but the last boss fight is there. However, you can make it so that everyone else fights the boss without, so you just stand there. Only with Fallout 3 did it turn into a combat based game.

Im pretty sure F3 can be completed without killing anything as well. Also I could have sworn that you could convince the F2 boss to kill himself. However with that said, for all three games combat was always a central element.

guildclaws

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 guildclaws
Member since 2009 • 7921 Posts

[QUOTE="brunalven"]

@Wasdie

DraugenCP

Definitely this.
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#39 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

[QUOTE="MythPro1"]The choice to use violence or not is what makes it an RPG. brunalven

I totally agree, so why can't I do that in RPG's? Skyrim for instance? Or the Witcher? Or Fallout NV? Or Mass Effect? Or Dragon Age?

Simple, NPC AI. Some NPCs are set to automatically attack you, that's just the way it is in a RPG. If you don't want combat, then you could move to the RTS genre, play Sim City, Rollercoaster Tycoon.:lol: Ever since the beginning, RPGs have had combat.
haafie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 haafie
Member since 2008 • 93 Posts

Ehm... The Guild 2: Renaissance...Minecraft...Dwarf Fortress, unfortunately all without a story line to follow. Thief maybe?

Hard pressed to come up with RPGs without the need for violence.

Avatar image for i_saw_a_mudcrab
i_saw_a_mudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 i_saw_a_mudcrab
Member since 2007 • 1015 Posts

@Xaosll

brunalven

well that's simply wrong. most of the xp in torment you get by completing quests and passing skill checks in dialogues (uncovering stuff with your int/wis, for example). the combat in torment consisted of the occasional thug encounters in sigil which gave barely any xp, a pretty short catacombs section, modron cube (which is, again, pretty short, and i'm sure you got more xp by simply gaining access to modron cube, than killing everything inside), ravel's maze, which is just one room, and talking to ravel in the right way gives you most of tthe xp of that place (you can get huge exp rewards and stat boosts several times during that conversation, i think, by picking the right options and using your WIS), carceri/baator (the largest and most annoying combat section in the game) and the fortress. by the time you reach carceri/fortress the xp reward from monsters will pretty much get you nowhere. iirc, in the fortress the shadow monsters you kill give you 15k exp each. talking to your past selves gives you ~120k for each new important thing you uncover. finding out your true name from the bronze orb gives you 2 million.

Jabby250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Jabby250
Member since 2011 • 524 Posts

brunalven

Vampire: Bloodlines. And Arcanum, to a lesser extent.

edit: nvm, should've read the entire OP. I guess you could try Arcanum, if you don't mind older games.

Jabby250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Jabby250

[QUOTE="brunalven"]

@Wasdie

Wasdie

Can't make your own character (so pretend it's a JRPG) but here.

You're really just talking about an interactive novel. Without the combat there isn't much to most games. I do know that you'll be able to play Mass Effect 3 without actually doing any combat. You can literally just talk to people.

That's not exactly *helpful*, and also untrue imo. Games, especially RPGs could be so much more without the excessive emphasis on combat. To imply that video games basically *equal* combat more or less is doing the whole medium a great disservice. Telling the OP to go read a book makes no sense since he requested a fundamentally different format, one that can provide a far greater level of interactivity than a Choose Your Own Adventure book.

Just look at Portal, or the Sims, or even Bloodlines. Roleplaying has an entirely different meaning than killing stuff.

Jabby250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Jabby250

Johnny_Rock

Then maybe you should pick up a tabletop roleplaying game sometime. The RPG genre as a whole is as far as you can get from just that (at least if you want it to be).

ShimmerMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#45 ShimmerMan
Member since 2008 • 4634 Posts

My little Pony the RPG!!. Not that I've played it but it looks like what you're looking for no?

Darth_Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Darth_Kane
Member since 2006 • 2966 Posts

[QUOTE="Johnny_Rock"]

RPG without combat is called an adventure game.brunalven

Why? I can't find that definition? To me RPG is the opportunity to customize a character to make it unique in the gameworld and then have the possibility to make different choices in the game that changes the storyline. And I don't mean just skill customization, but also character look and personality customization. Can't get that in an adventure game.

Those things are absent in a LOT of RPGs specifically JRPGs (like Final Fantasy) and Hack n Slash Action RPGs (Diablo, Titan Quest etc.). So, that's pretty much only YOUR definition of an RPG

AzinAshe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 AzinAshe
Member since 2011 • 44 Posts
[QUOTE="Darth_Kane"]

The choice to use certain types of combat or not is what makes it a RPG in a way =/
Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19574 Posts
You can technically stealth/speak your way through Alpha Protocol without killing anyone (and get rewards/perks/reputation points for doing so), although there are still bosses to deal with. I got through the entire thing without killing anyone - I'm pretty sure I spared the lives of just about every boss, too...but it's still a tad action-y. Still, it's definitely a lot more of an RPG than the Deus Ex games, so that might be worth a look. What else...hm, Torment, Fallout 1 and 2 and Arcanum are good choices. Less so Vampire Bloodlines - later on in the game, it's pretty much all combat.
nightshadow137

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 nightshadow137
Member since 2011 • 75 Posts

[QUOTE="brunalven"]

@Wasdie

DraugenCP

LOL
kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts

[QUOTE="Johnny_Rock"]

Jabby250

Then maybe you should pick up a tabletop roleplaying game sometime.

Mind telling me any adventure in any pen&paper roleplaying game where combat isn't a majority of the adventure or where the climax of the campaign isn't combat based?