Red Dead Redmeption vs Alpha Protocol

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

shaneras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 shaneras
Member since 2003 • 1346 Posts

I'm kinda at a crossroads: should I get Red Dead Redmption for my PS3, or Alpha Protocol for my PC?

I know that there are quite a few PS3 owners on the PC board, and because I like you guys, I decided to put it here.

First of all, I've been anticipating Alpha Protocol for a long time. Obsidian is one of my favorite developers, and I just plain love RPGs. But RDR looks extremely good, and after reading enough previews and watching enough videos, I'm fairly excited for that as well.

I will buy both of these at one point over this summer, but my first priority is to pre-order Starcraft II, then one of these two.

Thanks duders!

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts
RDR will more than likely come out sooner or later for the PC. I am getting Alpha Protocol because it looks like something I am going to enjoy, and I need an amazing single player game. RDR seems to be focused on MP, which I have enough of already.
Lord_DoDo56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#3 Lord_DoDo56
Member since 2005 • 960 Posts
After looking into both games I lean more towards RDR. I think it's mostly because I just finished Mass Effect 1 & 2 and I hear AP's gunplay is identical to it. Plus I'm ready for a refreshing Western game :D
Avatar image for TekkenMaster606
TekkenMaster606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TekkenMaster606
Member since 2006 • 10980 Posts

RDR won't come to PC. How many R* San Diego games have?

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

TekkenMaster606

Does that mean there won't be one? I do not think so, though I appreciate you coming in just to tell me how I am wrong.

MadCat46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 MadCat46
Member since 2004 • 1494 Posts

TekkenMaster606
Long as there is cash to be made it'll creep it's way onto the PC. PC is still a very large market and a game like RDR would sell well on it. To the original question though, I'd say Alpha Protocol. An RPG made by some legends in the business, a unique setting/scenario and interesting style. Good single player RPG's are to few and far between, got to snatch up and support them whenever possible.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#7 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
Well, lets get a release date for red dead repemtion first and then we talk about it again. I am sure you would have forgotten about the game till then. So lets wait a few months and eventually you will end up buying alpha protocol and a few months later you will have the money for red dead redemption and you would have completed red dead redemption. Thats how i predict it.
gillri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 gillri
Member since 2004 • 5926 Posts

considering the score RDR has been getting, that its a 50/50 whether itll come to PC and that rockstars last port wasnt great,

get RDR for sure, a fan of gaming couldnt wait for this game

PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 PublicNuisance
Member since 2009 • 4582 Posts

I'm kinda at a crossroads: should I get Red Dead Redmption for my PS3, or Alpha Protocol for my PC?

I know that there are quite a few PS3 owners on the PC board, and because I like you guys, I decided to put it here.

First of all, I've been anticipating Alpha Protocol for a long time. Obsidian is one of my favorite developers, and I just plain love RPGs. But RDR looks extremely good, and after reading enough previews and watching enough videos, I'm fairly excited for that as well.

I will buy both of these at one point over this summer, but my first priority is to pre-order Starcraft II, then one of these two.

Thanks duders!

shaneras

I would go for Alpha Protocol. I already have mine pre ordered off of Steam. I guess it depends on if your more in the mood for the wild west or for modern times, RPG or sandbox.

TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 TerrorRizzing
Member since 2010 • 4232 Posts

considering the score RDR has been getting, that its a 50/50 whether itll come to PC and that rockstars last port wasnt great,

gillri

i dont follow, the review scores make it 50/50? Every rockstar game has came to pc except red dead revolver and the warriors, but I think red dead redemption will be successful enough to come to pc. Its all about if rockstar thinks they will make money with a pc version.

PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 PublicNuisance

gillri

I'm a fan of gaming and it isn't even on my radar. I know of it but really could care less.

jedikevin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#12 jedikevin2
Member since 2004 • 5263 Posts
Considering this is NOT SYSTEM WARS and we are comparing a non pc game to a multiplatformer, this thread needs to be locked or moved to System wars.
PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PublicNuisance

Considering this is NOT SYSTEM WARS and we are comparing a non pc game to a multiplatformer, this thread needs to be locked or moved to System wars.jedikevin2

Except system wars is to debate platforms and the OP just wanted to compare games. There was no bickering here. I would much rather all of the tech support garbage questions would go to the hardware forum.

Hate_Squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 Hate_Squad
Member since 2007 • 1357 Posts

[QUOTE="gillri"]

PublicNuisance

I'm a fan of gaming and it isn't even on my radar. I know of it but really could care less.

couldn't care less

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10488 Posts

gillri

agreed it looks like it could be something truly special.

if i had to choose i'd definitely take rdr over alpha protocol (but i don't so i'll be getting both :D)

TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TerrorRizzing

[QUOTE="gillri"]

Macutchi

if i had to choose i'd definitely take rdr over alpha protocol (but i don't so i'll be getting both :D)

i think its worth waiting, 99.9 percent sure its coming to pc. I dont want to waste money on a console game when I can play the same game on my preferred platform a few months later. who knows, it might be a better port than gta iv and have a ton of mods.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10488 Posts

[QUOTE="Macutchi"]

[QUOTE="gillri"]

TerrorRizzing

i think its worth waiting, 99.9 percent sure its coming to pc. I dont want to waste money on a console game when I can play the same game on my preferred platform a few months later. who knows, it might be a better port than gta iv and have a ton of mods.

i salute your optimism and normally would be inclined to wait and see like you but my faith in rockstar's ability to port has been shaken a bit with gta iv and ive got such high hopes for rdr that i just wont be able to resist gettin it for the 360 (reviews pending of course)

RobertBowen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18 RobertBowen
Member since 2003 • 4094 Posts

Go with your heart. If you've been anticipating Alpha Protocol for a while, then go with that first.

TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TerrorRizzing

[QUOTE="TerrorRizzing"]

[QUOTE="Macutchi"]

Macutchi

i salute your optimism and normally would be inclined to wait and see like you but my faith in rockstar's ability to port has been shaken a bit with gta iv and ive got such high hopes for rdr that i just wont be able to resist gettin it for the 360 (reviews pending of course)

fair enough, although my faith in rockstar to make a game that runs well on the 360 is also shaken. Bully and gta iv were pretty much unplayable for me on 360, I can stand the min framerates of 25 fps I get on the pc version of gta iv, but the 15 fps minimums on 360 kill me. Heck as bad as gta iv is on pc, the minimum framerate is close to the 360s average.

to make matters worse, i currently only own a ps3 for a console. My faith in rockstar making a game run right on ps3 is shattered. GTA iv is unplayable for me on ps3. Maybe im just spoiled, but the game is just terrible on ps3.

Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts

[QUOTE="TekkenMaster606"]

millerlight89

Does that mean there won't be one? I do not think so, though I appreciate you coming in just to tell me how I am wrong.

Ahh... I checked into what he was talking about. That is pretty demoralizing:

2003Midnight Club IIPS2, Xbox, PC

2004Red Dead RevolverPS2, Xbox

2005 Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition PSP, PS2, Xbox

2006 Midnight Club 3: DUB Edition Remix PS2, Xbox

2006 Rockstar Games Presents Table Tennis Xbox 360, Wii

2008 Midnight Club: Los Angeles PS3, Xbox 360

2008 Midnight Club: L.A. Remix PSP

2010 Red Dead Redemption PS3, Xbox 360

That studio hasn't put a game on the PC in almost a decade.

Avatar image for charmingcharlie
charmingcharlie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 charmingcharlie
Member since 2006 • 1244 Posts

To be honest Rockstars commitment to the PC is about as strong as Microsofts commitment to PC gaming (yeah that bad). I am doubtful we will see RDR on the PC because a) I don't think the demand is there and b) Rockstar just do not want to bother with the PC. If you want to look at things optimistically then the best you will get is a port probably about a year from now which will be god awful and be so bug ridden as to be unplayable.

I used to be a massive fan of Rockstar but as a PC gamer I have gotten sick of being treated like a second class customer. If Rockstar can't bring their games to the PC, Xbox and PS3 at the same time then I am not going to give this company any more of my money. After all there is just no excuse for it when you consider Avalanche produced Just Cause 2 on all three systems (and made the PC version a lot better) yet the great Mighty Rockstar can't seem to do that. SO I say go with Alpha Protocol at least Sega are treating the PC user with some respect unlike Rockstar.

TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TerrorRizzing

To be honest Rockstars commitment to the PC is about as strong as Microsofts commitment to PC gaming (yeah that bad). I am doubtful we will see RDR on the PC because a) I don't think the demand is there and b) Rockstar just do not want to bother with the PC. If you want to look at things optimistically then the best you will get is a port probably about a year from now which will be god awful and be so bug ridden as to be unplayable.

I used to be a massive fan of Rockstar but as a PC gamer I have gotten sick of being treated like a second class customer. If Rockstar can't bring their games to the PC, Xbox and PS3 at the same time then I am not going to give this company any more of my money. After all there is just no excuse for it when you consider Avalanche produced Just Cause 2 on all three systems (and made the PC version a lot better) yet the great Mighty Rockstar can't seem to do that. SO I say go with Alpha Protocol at least Sega are treating the PC user with some respect unlike Rockstar.

charmingcharlie

oh cmon charlie, rockstar games are full of bugs and perform poorly on console as well, we pc gamers are just spoiled and have high standards. We also have no first party to pay rockstar 50 million dollars.

Anyway, I get the feeling people arent going to like this game as much as they seem to think. Rockstar san diego? no thanks.

gillri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 gillri
Member since 2004 • 5926 Posts

[QUOTE="gillri"]

PublicNuisance

thats called ignorance, why would a potential AAA title not be on your radar? just because its not on your platform? doesnt make sense

thats why I play games on all platforms,

TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TerrorRizzing

[QUOTE="PublicNuisance"]

[QUOTE="gillri"]

gillri

thats called ignorance, why would a potential AAA title not be on your radar? just because its not on your platform? doesnt make sense

its on my radar, but if you can see through the hype there isnt much hope for a good solid performing game at all. Why pay $60 for a game with framerate issues that are noticeable in the trailers? Ive been burned way too many times by console games, they seem to be really junky performance wise this gen.

the_mitch28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 the_mitch28
Member since 2005 • 4684 Posts

I've already got a preorder down for RDR on 360... Alpha Protocol doesn't look nearly as good as this epic.

TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 TerrorRizzing

I've already got a preorder down for RDR on 360... Alpha Protocol doesn't look nearly as good as this epic.

the_mitch28

alpha protocol doesnt have the hype train, but alteast they show actual gameplay (that looks fun). RDR shows us a bunch of cutscenes, and any gameplay they show doesnt seem to perform well...

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dakan45

[QUOTE="gillri"]

[QUOTE="PublicNuisance"]

TerrorRizzing

its on my radar, but if you can see through the hype there isnt much hope for a good solid performing game at all. Why pay $60 for a game with framerate issues that are noticeable in the trailers? Ive been burned way too many times by console games, they seem to be really junky performance wise this gen.

Well, yeah i can see the framerate drops on the trailer, there it is visible and the stutters. This time i gotta agree because i actually see it, i imagine it wil run like crap on the pc. I also got to say that there is not much hype for that game. There is? Well i just have to agree with publicnuisance, i just have not spotted to my radar for some reason, like its not that famous.
TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TerrorRizzing

[QUOTE="TerrorRizzing"]

[QUOTE="gillri"]

dakan45

Well, yeah i can see the framerate drops on the trailer, there it is visible and the stutters. This time i gotta agree because i actually see it, i imagine it wil run like crap on the pc. I also got to say that there is not much hype for that game. There is? Well i just have to agree with publicnuisance, i just have not spotted to my radar for some reason, like its not that famous.

wow we agree, Im surprised you didnt notice the stutters in gta iv on the 360.. same engine same issues.

Back on topic, if I only get one console game this year it will be little big planet 2 easily, and Im waiting for team ico to release last guardian... other than that I have no faith in any console dev anymore.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29 Renevent42
Member since 2010 • 6654 Posts
The game looks nothing short of amazing...can't wait!
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 dakan45
The game looks nothing short of amazing...can't wait!Renevent42
Ehh, which one?
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Renevent42
Red Dead Redemption, of course.
TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 TerrorRizzing
[QUOTE="Renevent42"]The game looks nothing short of amazing...can't wait!dakan45
Ehh, which one?

ill just say alpha protocol, it looks much better and much more polished. they also had the balls to show real gameplay without trying to hide behind cutcenes.
TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 TerrorRizzing

Red Dead Redemption, of course. Renevent42
you say it like it would be crazy to be more excited for alpha protocol.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Renevent42
Alpha Protocol looks boring...especially after reading the preview on gamerzines. Also, there's plenty of real gameplay footage of Red Dead Redemption out there...both of the SP and of the MP. Not sure where TerrorRizzing is getting that from...
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 dakan45
[QUOTE="dakan45"][QUOTE="Renevent42"]The game looks nothing short of amazing...can't wait!TerrorRizzing
Ehh, which one?

ill just say alpha protocol, it looks much better and much more polished. they also had the balls to show real gameplay without trying to hide behind cutcenes.

To be honest i am looking forward to alpha protocol but i wouldnt call it more polished, especially the graphics. I remember noticing a stutter in one of "on the spot" videos.
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 dakan45
Alpha Protocol looks boring...especially after reading the preview on gamerzines. Also, there's plenty of real gameplay footage of Red Dead Redemption out there...both of the SP and of the MP. Not sure where TerrorRizzing is getting that from...Renevent42
To be honest, it looks like mass effect without graphics and more detailed levels/ missions. With more complex gameplay.
TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 TerrorRizzing
[QUOTE="Renevent42"]Alpha Protocol looks boring...especially after reading the preview on gamerzines. Also, there's plenty of real gameplay footage of Red Dead Redemption out there...both of the SP and of the MP. Not sure where TerrorRizzing is getting that from...dakan45
To be honest, it looks like mass effect without graphics and more detailed levels/ missions. With more complex gameplay.

which is full of win. Im fine with the graphics, they aren't the shiny ue3 graphics, but atleast they animations arent so blocky and the gameplay isn't so limited by the graphics engine.
Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Renevent42
The early videos for RDR did look a bit stuttery...but the newer ones look fine. The complaint is really a non-issue. And even in GTAIV on the 360 wasn't really effected by this. Once in a while you got a small frame rate drop but most of the time it was fine. It detracted very little from the game.
TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 TerrorRizzing

Alpha Protocol looks boring...especially after reading the preview on gamerzines. Also, there's plenty of real gameplay footage of Red Dead Redemption out there...both of the SP and of the MP. Not sure where TerrorRizzing is getting that from...Renevent42
watch it again, they show you shooting something then flash to some cutscene over and over. The multiplayer one isnt as bad, but it doesnt really look like a game I would play multiplayer.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Renevent42

I've watched them all, there's plenty of in game footage. There's like 15 videos...

Here, this one is pretty much entirely in game footage:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gameplay-series-red-dead/64783

TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 TerrorRizzing

I've watched them all, there's plenty of in game footage. There's like 15 videos...

Here, this one is pretty much entirely in game footage:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gameplay-series-red-dead/64783

I'd wager that there's more in game footage of RDR than of Alpha Protocol.

Renevent42

naw, there is developer walkthroughs of nothing but actual gameplay for alpha protocol. What you linked is just small bits of gameplay fused with cutscenes. When I watch gameplay, I want to watch actual non-interupted gmaplay.

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Renevent42

Did you even watch it? It was almost entirely in game footage showing real gameplay for the MP component.

Anyways, your claim is obviously without merit. There's plenty of gameplay footage of RDR.

This video is what has me really excited:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gameplay-series-red-dead/64249

flukki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 flukki
Member since 2003 • 69 Posts

Hmmm, I hear more and more people shout "Red Dead Redemption will be better than GTA 4" ... I mean, GTA 4 is listed with 97% aggregated score ... so it's supposed to be "the perfect game" ?!!

No, I won't believe the hype ....

TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 TerrorRizzing

Did you even watch it? It was almost entirely in game footage showing real gameplay for the MP component.

Anyways, your claim is obviously without merit. There's plenty of gameplay footage of RDR.

This video is what has me really excited:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gameplay-series-red-dead/64249

Renevent42
I watched it, im wise to rockstars tricks. I cant even tell what the gameplay is really like at all.
TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 TerrorRizzing

Hmmm, I hear more and more people shout "Red Dead Redemption will be better than GTA 4" ... I mean, GTA 4 is listed with 97% aggregated score ... so it's supposed to be "the perfect game" ?!!

flukki

ya rockstar knows how to throw together a trailer to make something look 1000 times better than it is, although it doesnt fool me because I sit back for a second and think about what im actually watching. Remember how disappointing gta iv was?

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Renevent42

flukki

Maybe because those people don't care about the scores, and are saying that on a personal level? RDR looks to have a lot more features and the setting is much more appealing to me. The 97% score has nothing to do with anything.

You pretend to be "above the hype" yet are knee deep in it to the point of your viewpoints are jaded by it. Maybe you didn't fall for the hype (how silly), but you sure did let it affect you.

ya rockstar knows how to throw together a trailer to make something look 1000 times better than it is, although it doesnt fool me because I sit back for a second and think about what im actually watching. Remember how disappointing gta iv was?

TerrorRizzing

LoL...right. Regardless, there's plenty of in game footage of real gameplay.

Also, GTA IV was awesomesauce.

Avatar image for RichardStallman
RichardStallman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 RichardStallman
Member since 2009 • 1233 Posts

[QUOTE="flukki"]

TerrorRizzing

GTA IV was a great game.
TerrorRizzing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 TerrorRizzing
[QUOTE="TerrorRizzing"]

[QUOTE="flukki"]

RichardStallman

GTA IV was a great game.

it was good, but not even half of what it seemed to be. It also didnt play anything like how the trailers made it seem.
flukki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 flukki
Member since 2003 • 69 Posts

Maybe because those people don't care about the scores, and are saying that on a personal level? RDR looks to have a lot more features and the setting is much more appealing to me. The 97% score has nothing to do with anything.

You pretend to be "above the hype" yet are knee deep in it to the point of your viewpoints are jaded by it. Maybe you didn't fall for the hype (how silly), but you sure did let it affect you.

Renevent42

The setting is also appealing to me, I am a big western fan! But do I run around like some others and say the game will be "better than gta 4" solely based on trailers and before I ever got a hands on the game? No...

First the hype - then the disappointment ... unfortunately it's often that way ... at least for some gamers ...

Renevent42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Renevent42

[QUOTE="Renevent42"]

flukki

The setting is also appealing to me, I am a big western fan! But do I run around like some others and say the game will be "better than gta 4" solely based on trailers and before I ever got a hands on the game? No...

First the hype - then the disappointment ... unfortunately it's often that way ... at least for some gamers ...

To be honest I didn't see anyone flat out say RDR is better than GTAIV...but I didn't read every post in this thread either. Even if someone did, I think it's more relative or just expectation...not actually making that claim outright.