reasons why it's worth to be a PCgamer in 2008

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Raiden8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#601 Raiden8
Member since 2007 • 200 Posts

[QUOTE="Cabal23"]Huge PC gamer, but I am totally unconvinced this will be a banner year. Sorry the games you are talking about are either coming to console or just aren't a big deal. Factually speaking I don't hear PC gamers banging down the door for those titles.Raiden8

Come on dude, The only two games that PC gamers are missing are Halo3 and MGS4 which are not even on the same console. But console fans are missing a lot more. Some RPGs and Strategies and multiplayer. And they are missing playing with keyboard and mouse which is really a great deal in shooting and driving.

Just look at the games you can play this fall:

Week of Aug 31, 2008: Mercenaries 2: World in Flames
Week of Sep 07, 2008: Spore
Week of Sep 14, 2008: Crysis Warhead - STALKER: Clear Sky
Week of Sep 21, 2008: Brothers In Arms Hell's Highway
Week of Sep 28, 2008: Dimensity
Week of Oct 12, 2008: FIFA Soccer 09 - Rise of the Argonauts
Week of Oct 19, 2008: Far Cry 2
Week of Oct 26, 2008: Fallout 3
Week of Nov 02, 2008: Legendary
Week of Nov 09, 2008: Call of Duty : World at War
Week of Nov 16, 2008: Grand Theft Auto IV - Prince of Persia(2008) -Need for Speed Undercover - Left 4 Dead -Tomb Raider Underworld
Week of Dec 28, 2008: Pro Evolution Soccer 2009

So, chill out dude8)

Cabal23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#602 Cabal23
Member since 2003 • 1268 Posts

[QUOTE="Raiden8"][QUOTE="Cabal23"]Huge PC gamer, but I am totally unconvinced this will be a banner year. Sorry the games you are talking about are either coming to console or just aren't a big deal. Factually speaking I don't hear PC gamers banging down the door for those titles.Raiden8

Come on dude, The only two games that PC gamers are missing are Halo3 and MGS4 which are not even on the same console. But console fans are missing a lot more. Some RPGs and Strategies and multiplayer. And they are missing playing with keyboard and mouse which is really a great deal in shooting and driving.

Just look at the games you can play this fall:

Week of Aug 31, 2008: Mercenaries 2: World in Flames
Week of Sep 07, 2008: Spore
Week of Sep 14, 2008: Crysis Warhead - STALKER: Clear Sky
Week of Sep 21, 2008: Brothers In Arms Hell's Highway
Week of Sep 28, 2008: Dimensity
Week of Oct 12, 2008: FIFA Soccer 09 - Rise of the Argonauts
Week of Oct 19, 2008: Far Cry 2
Week of Oct 26, 2008: Fallout 3
Week of Nov 02, 2008: Legendary
Week of Nov 09, 2008: Call of Duty : World at War
Week of Nov 16, 2008: Grand Theft Auto IV - Prince of Persia(2008) -Need for Speed Undercover - Left 4 Dead -Tomb Raider Underworld
Week of Dec 28, 2008: Pro Evolution Soccer 2009

So, chill out dude8)

Are we talking the same things? Almost all of those games are coming out on console. A mouse/keyboard is only necessary for RTS's. FPS's work fine w/ a controller. The only thing I use my PC for is RTS's. The only game type that doesn't transfer over to controller. At least on console I know the games will most likely work out of teh box.

Why should I chill out..I was just making an observation and an opinion?

spudsofpoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#603 spudsofpoo
Member since 2005 • 302 Posts
FPS's work fine w/ a controller.

Cabal23

That is hands down the funniest **** I have seen on boards anywhere in recent memory. I doubt you try to play too many FPS on the consoles that were formerly on PCs. Jeez it's like night and day between console and PC shooting. And doesn't it get boring playing 8 on 8 all day long? I mean I'd get it if you got tired of too many people, I sure as heck like a 5 v 5 scrim in source. But the consoles simply fail in that:

1) No dedicated server to run the games, the other players host them (Connex ftl?)

2) Controllers. Don't most console games compensate controllers with a slight auto aim? Nothing beats using a precise mouse to nail a kid halfway across the map in BF2.

3) Server sizes. In any FPS they rarely have more than 16, 32 if you're lucky. You don't really need more than 32, but with PCs you have something magical called OPTIONS!

Consoles...Limited and only really worth it for the games like MGS4 and sports. Because Madden, NCAA Football, and MLB don't come to my comp anymore :(

IMaBIOHAZARD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#604 IMaBIOHAZARD
Member since 2008 • 1464 Posts

First off, when playing a shooter, the only really good choice is to use a mouse. In games that offer cross-platform multiplayer (eg, COD4, Shadowrun) the PC players are generally the best, because they have the best aim and control. If u don't believe me, just read PC Gamer's December '06 (i think) test where they pitted 2v2 in the original Halo, PC Gamers using a mouse and keyboard vs. ppl from "official xbox magazine" using 360 controllers, let them choose the map and settings, and then duked it out, and the PC Gamer editors ended with over two times the kills than the auto-aiming xbox magazine ppl.

And secondly, I want to make a point. PC Gaming is undoubtedly the best platform to choose (it may cost a bit, but it's worth it) for a variety of reasons. For those new to this thread, I suggest skimming it and finding all of those reasons - they're good ones. But anyways, the PC isn't the best at EVERYTHING. Sports games, for instance. Although u can use a gamepad on PCs, I rly honestly think that consoles do sports games better. And MGS4 on PC would feel kind of awkward. I mean, think of playing Soul Caliber 4 with a keyboard. Blech.

So Consoles have their place in life...but it is a small place. Rlly, wut I'm trying to say is that I (i hope that i can say "we") don't hate consoles. they aren't as good and are so much more restricted than the PC, but they have their place. THink of a servant...if the PC was the master, the consoles would be like the servant.

Raiden8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#605 Raiden8
Heh, just imagine playing in a counter strike tournoment with a console while everybody else is using PC. Yeah ,that would really suck and you're gonna be dead as soon as every round starts. So don't tell me consoles are fine in FPS. And of course you can use gamepads for PC too. You can do whatever you want to do with PC but not with console. I myself used my gamepad for Devil May Cry 4(I don't say it's not fun playing it with keyboard) but for any other games that I've played including FIFAs and Pro Evolution Soccers, keyboard is my piece of cake. And I say again: Because it's PC and it's very very poweful8)
MrTizzay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#606 MrTizzay
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

First off, its my first time posting on the Gamespot forums, so I'm glad to see so many PC gamers flaunting our superiority.

And I can agree, for most FPS it makes more sense to play with a keyboard and mouse. It doesn't even need to be a good mouse and keyboard, but it will do better than say, an XBox 360 controller or, goodness forbid, a N64 controller.

As for titles for the PC, there are a lot of good things coming out this year. Raiden8 already took the words out of my mouth with his elaborate list of titles, so kudos to him.

Most of these titles will be fantastic unless the developers pull a Too Human and make a bad game through lots of money and lots of development time. But anyway, I'm looking forward to most of the games on that list, including Left 4 Dead, Crysis: Warhead, Far Cry 2, Fallout 3, and most of all, Prince of Persia.So there is plenty of titles for this year.

But I can agree with Raiden8 above with how a gamepad can be incredibly usefull sometimes. I use a gamepad for games like Need for Speed. I don't play any sports games, but they would probably work better on gamepads than a PC keyboard. Moreover, gamepads kick a lot of butt when using emulators for N64 games. Super Smash Brothers works fine with a keyboard, but with a Saitek Cyborg, it just is amazing.

Now, my question is this: with so many titles being released with compatibility with Consoles, will there finally be a chance for PC versus Console LAN parties? Imagine Left 4 Deadco-op across a LAN, surviving agaisnt zombies and other players. Thoughts?

bchris02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#607 bchris02
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
Its a sad year for PC gaming when Spore and The Witcher is being considered banner material. I am glad some PC games are going to be released, but the truth is most of them will also be released for console, and many will be console optimized and then ported to the PC, which usually results in a poor experience on PC. That said, I am not so sure that its PC gaming thats in trouble as much as the gaming industry in its entirety is starting to lose its shine. Think about it, most games today, PC and console, are just rehashes of old concepts polished up with better graphics, and its starting to get stale. What is DESPERATELY needed is an independent developer (I'm sick of all this EA crap) to come in and shake things up like Valve did in 1998 and id Software did in 1993. I think that alone might be enough to save PC as a platform.
MrTizzay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#608 MrTizzay

I can agree with that totally. Another Half-Life hit to the gaming industry would be magnificent, and we ALL would benefit. Except the consolers of course, cos they don't deserve it. (Just kidding. Kinda. Sorta. Not really.)

But alas, another hit like that would have to be an engineered miracle. But, we can hope for it at any rate.

Cabal23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#609 Cabal23
FPS's are fine on console when you play against console players. I agree that PC looks shinier and behaves much better for aiming, but you also must play keep up w/ Mohrs Law to play many of the games. Bioshock was an example where the experience was better on XBOX than on pC. PC was riddled with issues and the performance wasn't great. Played it on 360 no issues. A flawless game. I suppose it comes down to taste, my original comment was really that the OP's point of this being such a banner year for PC games is kinda short sited. Those titles are very weak. This year was a weak showing for PC games. I spend 90% of my time on my PC playing games that are PCcentric like turn based games and RTS's, so don't think I don't want a year of better games, but to quote another person on this forum, it is getting really stale when Spore is the highlight of the year. Witcher was good but not that good.
attorihanzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#610 attorihanzo
Member since 2003 • 587 Posts

This year was a weak showing for PC games. Cabal23

The year is not over yet.

Cabal23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#611 Cabal23

[QUOTE="Cabal23"]This year was a weak showing for PC games. attorihanzo

The year is not over yet.

Yes but the games that are coming out have already been announced. Maybe NEXT year will be different, but this year is sealed in stone.

Shinobepp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#612 Shinobepp

Heck no. Fallout 3, Starcraft 2, Gears of War 2, GTA IV will be the best games ever. I think the end of 2008 will be great.

Surprises never die.

blade55555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#613 blade55555
Member since 2005 • 1116 Posts
Starcraft 2 2009 not this year. Fallout 3 looks good, REd alert 3, Cod 5, Farcry 2.
MovieBiff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#614 MovieBiff

Another reason it is good to be a PCgamer is all the free games you can play.

Like on instantaction.com, my personal favorite.

Seriously, they are doing this anti-smoke break thing now that is encouraging people to play more video games and smoke less. Check it out (antismokebreak.com).

I love this site!

Raiden8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#615 Raiden8

Heck no. Fallout 3, Starcraft 2, Gears of War 2, GTA IV will be the best games ever. I think the end of 2008 will be great.

Surprises never die.

Shinobepp

Dude, unfortunately Gears of War 2 is not coming out for PC.

sundquist11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#616 sundquist11
I agree
cifru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#617 cifru
Member since 2005 • 2211 Posts
So i finally decided to sell my ps3 and buy a gaming pc, i hope i'll be welcome in these forums :P
OgreB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#618 OgreB
Member since 2004 • 2523 Posts

Still depressed....

I think I'll hold off upgrading anymore....

There is just not enough games coming out in the last of 08 and the whole of 09 to justify the expense anymore.

I'll wait and see...

Still there are a few games that look really good.

Since I only do SP..my options are limited.

Don't like the human race enough to play online....

gamegoldies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#619 gamegoldies
Fallout 3, heck yeah!
slickchris7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#620 slickchris7777
Member since 2005 • 1610 Posts
[QUOTE="Shinobepp"]

Surprises never die.

Raiden8

Dude, unfortunately Gears of War 2 is not coming out for PC.

this year...

Swoosie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 195

#621 Swoosie
Member since 2002 • 66 Posts

This month's PC Gamer mag (which has rebounded nicely from looking like a pamphlet in 2007...) has a list of PC titles for the remainder of 2008, and it's amazing! I had no idea this many AAA titles were hitting. Again, these are 2008 titles, never mind the 2009 biggies like Diablo III, Starcraft 2, and Dragon Age.

1. Far Cry 2
  2. Cryisis Warhead
  3. Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway
  4. Sacred 2
  5. Mercenaries 2
  6. Street Fighter IV
  7. STALKER Clear Sky
  8. Left4Dead
  9. Fallout 3
  10. Dead Space
  11. Command & Conquer Red Alert 3
  12. NHL 09
  13. Call of Duty: World At War
  14. Mirror's Edge
  15. GTA IV
  16. Prince of Persia
  17. Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning
  18. Lego Batman
  19. World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Litch King

Nice! Of course, yes, you'll need/want to update your PC big-time, and that costs more than a console, and almost all of these are also hitting for the consoles, but...

Mike

mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#622 mhofever
Member since 2008 • 3960 Posts
Man I heard that. You got very good taste, buddy. Almost all of those games are ones I'm looking forward to ( GTA IV and WOTLK being the top that is )
GSgirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#623 GSgirl
Member since 2008 • 581 Posts
Avatar image for Theguywithshirt
Theguywithshirt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#624 Theguywithshirt
Member since 2007 • 213 Posts

OP forgot to add:

'Spending ridiculous ammounts of money on hardware that two weeks later becomes obsolete :D'

(In B4 grammar correction)

IMaBIOHAZARD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#625 IMaBIOHAZARD

The PC is better, 'nuff said.

bOse92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#626 bOse92
Member since 2008 • 39 Posts
the pc will live forever
Jimbojoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#627 Jimbojoy
Member since 2008 • 44 Posts

Yeah, sign me up for Left 4 Dead and Far Cry 2. I also wanna get Stalker 1 and 2, Bioshock, GTA IV, and maybe get back into WoW. I really looked forward to Mirrors Edge, but that got pushed back for the PC:(

zaphod_b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#628 zaphod_b
Member since 2002 • 2201 Posts
Console gaming is like going to buy a brand new GTO. It's fast, it's fun, but it isn't personal and doesn't have the same feel as that hot rod you've been working on. I like PC gaming due to the limitless customization and optimization available. Also, PCs have niche games that never seem to make it to consoles, like great RPG's such has the Diablo series, NWN series, and the Witcher (among others).
UD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#629 UD
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

i can't wait for

far cry 2

mirrors edge

GTA IV

codrutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#630 codrutz
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
Far Cry 2 is here and it's great. Yeah!!
tanerb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#632 tanerb
Member since 2003 • 1300 Posts
The Witcher. You dont need any other reason
InternetFred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#633 InternetFred
Member since 2008 • 43 Posts

The PC is better, 'nuff said.

IMaBIOHAZARD

Yay I concur

fubbal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 377

#634 fubbal
Member since 2008 • 460 Posts
I concur! My only problem is my pc is way out dated but I plan to change that in feb of 09!
flateric125

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#635 flateric125
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
Ridiculous hardware prices, ridiculous software prices, oh and the credit crunch. Not forgetting its almost christmas. Yes what a fab time to be a pc gamer. Maybe the kids could feed them selves for a couple of weeks.
GSgirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#636 GSgirl
Member since 2008 • 581 Posts
So far so good, a great year for PC gaming
Atomic1977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#637 Atomic1977
Member since 2004 • 344 Posts
Is there ever a reason not to be a pc gamer? PC gaming has been the best since people discovered that computers can play games too. screw all those consoles outthere computers is where all the action is.
IMaBIOHAZARD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#638 IMaBIOHAZARD

Is there ever a reason not to be a pc gamer? PC gaming has been the best since people discovered that computers can play games too. screw all those consoles outthere computers is where all the action is.Atomic1977

agreed.

did any1 read the newest issue of PC gamer? I think that the whole article on how to make ur (not quite) virtual reality system was just a mortal wound to console gaming. They're stuck with vibrating controllers - we get vests that mimick where we get shot, mice shaped like guns, and so many other things.

And let's not forget that...um...headband thing that let's you control games WITH YOUR MIND. in case u didn't know, YES, they have recently invented that.

although the peripherals are just a small part of the overall gaming experience, the games are still better than consoles, the PC market is ever-growing (with services like Steam plowing ahead stronger than ever). PC Gaming FTW!

stain450

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#639 stain450

I have been playing Call of Duty Modern warfare like others, I am pretty good at the Free for All version, 7th on a server of about 75,000...

I tired Gears of War from Microsoft...what **** crap.

Half the **** commands do not work when you need them like previous weapon etc.....jesus...

3rd person Microsoft **** and this web site rates it at 9.0 **** losers.

This web site shills for these companies.

IMaBIOHAZARD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#640 IMaBIOHAZARD

I have been playing Call of Duty Modern warfare like others, I am pretty good at the Free for All version, 7th on a server of about 75,000...

I tired Gears of War from Microsoft...what **** crap.

Half the **** commands do not work when you need them like previous weapon etc.....jesus...

3rd person Microsoft **** and this web site rates it at 9.0 **** losers.

This web site shills for these companies.

stain450

amen to that.

Oh, and I have another point to make y PC gaming is superior:

While Consoles are stuck with the same crappy technology for wut is usually 5 yrs, we have the ability to constantly upgrade our PCs to look and run so much better.

david_joseph93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#641 david_joseph93
Member since 2006 • 343 Posts
all i know is that i am waiting for GTA IV for PC and MAFIA 2!! :D
mike6787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#643 mike6787

all i know is that i am waiting for GTA IV for PC and MAFIA 2!! :Ddavid_joseph93

yes.. me too .specially Mafia 2.i think it will be bathar than GTA IV

darknery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#644 darknery

MY fps is great like oOo

darknery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#645 darknery
Sory wrong forum. :)
hystavito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#646 hystavito
Member since 2003 • 4755 Posts

While Consoles are stuck with the same crappy technology for wut is usually 5 yrs, we have the ability to constantly upgrade our PCs to look and run so much better.

IMaBIOHAZARD

Unfortunately for us PC gamers, that advantage is not what it used to be. With all the big name releases lately coming out on PCs and consoles, the PC version while still looking better is seriously held back.

Look at some of this season's big releases like Far Cry 2 and Fallout 3. One is a new engine, the other like a mod, neither actually demonstrates a substantial movement forward in graphics technology, physics, interaction, depth, etc. I honestly believe the reason for this is consoles. Beyond making money in the short term, consoles are what all the major companies want us all to be gaming on, because they are nice little closed platforms that are much easier to control. They want to make the console the little box by your TV that you use to play games, rent streaming movies, or consume any number of other products and/or services.

When I see an RTS like Endwar coming out on consoles before PCs, it blows my mind. AN RTS!!! That would've been the domain of only PCs not long ago.

Don't get me wrong though, I don't deny that games like Fallout 3 and Far Cry 2 are good, they are. However, they are not GREAT, they are not new, they are not advancing the state of the art in PC gaming. And yes, I believe games SHOULD advance, for a number of reasons I won't go into specifically, this post is getting long :).

Oh, and on another note, I am kind of sickened by the professional reviews this season too, seems like they are all onboard like part of some conspiracy and quietly avoiding criticizing the games on points like I am making, and I know I am not alone here.

beedubaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#647 beedubaya
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts

Games today seem to still be getting evermore stale, for both PC and console.  I started to lose interest in online FPS shortly after the BF2 era.  I still love a good single player, story driven game but there are very few of those coming out these days.  There is only a few that even look interesting to me today.  A big reason for this is EA buying up all the independent developers and turning it into a big business.  Today its all about marketing to the kids and not creating quality content.  The games that are doing well right now are "party" games like Guitar Hero, Rock Star, etc.  I don't plan on upgrading my PC or buying a console in the near future.

Maybe its my age, because I am well past my teen years, but games today are not what they once were.

blackcee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#648 blackcee
Member since 2004 • 511 Posts

Not trying to "own" a band!

If no person has busted out with that before.

a console band is funny.

lanceja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#650 lanceja
Member since 2008 • 117 Posts
because WoW WotLK came out duh:)