"A free demo is a luxury" says Crytek

• 86 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lucfonzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 lucfonzy
Member since 2008 • 1835 Posts

http://daxgamer.com/2010/04/crytek-free-demo-luxury/

I don't fully understand what they are trying to say in the article, i mean surely you just take one level out of the game and let people play it.

MEOWWW123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MEOWWW123
Member since 2008 • 870 Posts

Wow please no... Games are already starting to charge for that once extra gun (pre order and spend the extra 10$ and get X) but please lets not start this, Crytek is one of those companies that i thought was totally seperate form Activision. Lets hope it stays that way

nintendog66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 nintendog66
Member since 2006 • 2300 Posts
Why is Crytek trying so hard to be hated nowadays? Bad mouthing everything and everyone and claiming to be all high and mighty. I remember they weren't so stuck up their asses before. I put my money on free publicity and consoles.
dinuattila

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dinuattila
Member since 2005 • 1355 Posts

Lately Crytek says way too much. Maybe it is just me but these things can backfire on them after a while.

chandu83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#5 chandu83
Member since 2005 • 4864 Posts
I am hoping there would be a demo for Crysis 2.
lucfonzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lucfonzy

Lately Crytek says way too much. Maybe it is just me but these things can backfire on them after a while.

dinuattila

Yeah true that.

I mean alot of what they say is fairly accurate, but then again alot of it is very opinionated. I think they could very easily lose the respect they earned through Crysis.

carlandcarl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#7 carlandcarl
Member since 2004 • 1251 Posts

it makes sense though, that we are taking demos for gratted. They spend a lot of time making the games and then we expect them to just let us try their game for free. Though charging for a demo is a little stupid

badtaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 badtaker
Member since 2009 • 3806 Posts
crytek wants to beat Peter Molyneux in terms of hyping.:P
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts

So he is saying that having a demo all those years is something that maybe was done all those years, no big deal. But now it takes more resources and ea is doing the right thing, they dont try to increase profits but they believe that they have to give something more than a demo to the game now that the piracy...."insert various other crap"......and try to combat this!! :o

Thats what i understand. That its a random discussion of crytek that makes no sense. Do you wanna give a demo or do you wanna give something more? He said that its right to give the player something more than a demo, yet he intentionally did not talk about paying.

Honestly this sound to me like a random messup. I dont get this crap, why gamedevelopers wanna stop making demos and dedicated servers that were there all those years? If anything the technology is now cheaper.

After all that, do you really believe that paying those idiots is the right thing to do? No we should not buy their games for deciding to do stuff like that. Since if they make big bucks they still not gonna give a damn and continue to make us pay for everything. Now i understand why people complained so much about mw2 and ubisoft drm. Most gamedevelopers/publishers are turning into jerks who dont care about the gamer at all, they wanna make more and more money and have as less expenses by eliminating the free stuff.

Ofcourse there are exeptions like valve that live in their own world regarding timescale and profits...but if this actually happens then expect people to start pirating demos just because they dont wanna try a, say : " 1 hour demo" that costs 3-5 bucks.

Well a valid reason will be that games nowadays are becoming bigger and bigger in data. Just like arma 2 for example that the demo was huge. So its expensive to upload such a big file and provide for millions of people, free to download with high speed.

^That i can understand.

dinuattila

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 dinuattila
Member since 2005 • 1355 Posts

[QUOTE="dinuattila"]

lucfonzy

Yeah true that.

I mean alot of what they say is fairly accurate, but then again alot of it is very opinionated. I think they could very easily lose the respect they earned through Crysis.

The only thing that does not make sense to me is that they think like they are the best developer. And the way they make these statements gives an impression as if these things are actually facts.

Avatar image for deactivated-5926b7362eeb7
deactivated-5926b7362eeb7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5926b7362eeb7
Member since 2009 • 126 Posts

I saw nothing negative in that article. Just a dev saying releasing demo's may be coming to an end due to costs.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 dakan45
[QUOTE="nintendog66"]Why is Crytek trying so hard to be hated nowadays? Bad mouthing everything and everyone and claiming to be all high and mighty. I remember they weren't so stuck up their asses before. I put my money on free publicity and consoles.

Crytek? Everyone is trying to be hated nowadays. Everyone!!
RiseAgainst12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 RiseAgainst12
Member since 2007 • 6767 Posts

Ill make it my goal to boycott every single game that charges for a bloody demo. Movies have trailers, Music has previews of songs. Unlike movies and music games are interactive, you can't base a decision on gameplay footage, you need to feel the controls for yourself. Bad controls and gameplay ruin a game.. and those things can be hidden well in trailers.

Ondoval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ondoval
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

I don't fully understand what they are trying to say in the article, i mean surely you just take one level out of the game and let people play it.

lucfonzy

Is more complicated. In some games as Oblivion or GTA ones you can't simply "take a level" to let the gamers play for and hour. Then is the problem about that sometimes is hard for a demo to be representative about the full game. Often the demos are bad and discourages the players to buy the game. And above all this problems is the fact that you need time and developers to make a demo, which means: it cost money.

I'll be very suprised if Crysis 2 gets a demo. Half-Life and Episodes doesn't have a demo, nor COD/MW games, or BC 2, or ArmA II, or The Witcher, or Dawn Of War II, etc. In fact, I like more the betas in mp than the sp/mp demos.

LongZhiZi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 LongZhiZi
Member since 2009 • 2453 Posts
In response to piracy and costs, they're going to eliminate demos? Yeah, that'll work well. Now that I can't try out the game for free, I'll definitely want to shell out full price and not pirate it. :roll: And by the way, Crytek, those "costs" are part of marketing a game. Remember the old saying, "You have to spend money to make money." The only way I could see this being slightly feasible is if you paid say $5 for a demo digitally and buying the full game off the service would cost an additional $45. But I still don't think most gamers would go for it.
KalDurenik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 KalDurenik
Member since 2004 • 3736 Posts

A "luxury"? Correct me if im wrong but aint a demo basicly a CHEAP version of advertisment? Instead of spending milions on things they could make a demo and it will do better then a picture saying "omg epic game buy now"

LongZhiZi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LongZhiZi

[QUOTE="lucfonzy"]

Ondoval

Is more complicated. In some games as Oblivion or GTA ones you can't simply "take a level" to let the gamers play for and hour. Then is the problem about that sometimes is hard for a demo to be representative about the full game. Often the demos are bad and discourages the players to buy the game. And above all this problems is the fact that you need time and developers to make a demo, which means: it cost money.

I'll be very suprised if Crysis 2 gets a demo. Half-Life and Episodes doesn't have a demo, nor COD/MW games, or BC 2, or ArmA II, or The Witcher, or Dawn Of War II, etc. In fact, I like more the betas in mp than the sp/mp demos.

What? Most of those games you listed have demos. Not all, but at least half...
Ondoval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Ondoval

Honestly this sound to me like a random messup. I dont get this crap, why gamedevelopers wanna stop making demos and dedicated servers that were there all those years? If anything the technology is now cheaper.

dakan45

They made a demo with Far Cry, and a mp beta and a demo with Crysis, but not with Warhead. I think that they aren't saying that will made per-pay demos in their future games, but that probably will not make demos at all, and some developers will not made demos and will sell these stuff.

The dedicated servers is a different kind of discussion; some console games uses dedicatd servers, ad most of the PC ones -in multiplayer-. Threre's no discussion about that dedis enhances and improves the quality of the gameplay, it's only that some companies prefer to rely in matchmaking peer to peer due the lower cost.

What I don't understand is how people can pay 15 $ to get the MW2 Stimulous Pack: barely 3 new mp maps and 2 redone ones, when I have more than 100 mp maps from modders in UT 2004 and over 50 in Crysis Wars, aside from the official ones, and all were free. So instead of offering free new stuff to potential buyers in order to attract new customers they prefer to split the community between the ones with all the maps and the others with only someones.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 dakan45

[QUOTE="dakan45"]

Ondoval

They made a demo with Far Cry, and a mp beta and a demo with Crysis, but not with Warhead. I think that they aren't saying that will made per-pay demos in their future games, but that probably will not make demos at all, and some developers will not made demos and will sell these stuff.

The dedicated servers is a different kind of discussion; some console games uses dedicatd servers, ad most of the PC ones -in multiplayer-. Threre's no discussion about that dedis enhances and improves the quality of the gameplay, it's only that some companies prefer to rely in matchmaking peer to peer due the lower cost.

What I don't understand is how people can pay 15 $ to get the MW2 Stimulous Pack: barely 3 new mp maps and 2 redone ones, when I have more than 100 mp maps from modders in UT 2004 and over 50 in Crysis Wars, aside from the official ones, and all were free. So instead of offering free new stuff to potential buyers in order to attract new customers they prefer to split the community between the ones with all the maps and the others with only someones.

Like i said, they are greedy bastards despite "costs" excuses. Even if they had trillions, still they would keep on ripping us off just because they can. In the past we had dedicated servers but now that the technology is cheaper they prefer to exclude it because simply they dont give a damn. Greedy bastards indeed. I am expecting crytek to receive massive flamming for "whatever" move they decide to do in crysis 2. "Ho do you know what..." I dont but with all those things happened recently , i "expect" something to happen in this case too!!

Mr_Ditters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#20 Mr_Ditters
Member since 2008 • 1920 Posts

A free demo is called marketing...

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

When I'll have my own forum, I'll ban everybody that comments without reading the article and everybody that makes such misleading titles.

I'm getting sick of this tabloid crap on Gamespot, just as I'm getting sick of people calling boycott on everything even if they have no idea what all this is about.

Ondoval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Ondoval

What? Most of those games you listed have demos. Not all, but at least half...LongZhiZi

IW did a demo with MW, but not with MW 2. Relic made demos with DoW 1 and CoH, but with DoW II was only a beta. There's a pattern involving a reduction of the number of games that arrived with demos or edition tools in the latest years. Also, some developers think that a bad demo is a good way to kill sales, and to make a good demo is sometimes hard to do.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dakan45

[QUOTE="LongZhiZi"]

What? Most of those games you listed have demos. Not all, but at least half...Ondoval

IW did a demo with MW, but not with MW 2. Relic made demos with DoW 1 and CoH, but with DoW II was only a beta. There's a pattern involving a reduction of the number of games that arrived with demos or edition tools in the latest years. Also, some developers think that a bad demo is a good way to kill sales, and to make a good demo is sometimes hard to do.

and AVP had only an mp demo. What the? I thought the game was mainly for sp.
pure89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 pure89
Member since 2009 • 211 Posts

i really want a demo for crysis 2 , if not i'm not gonna buy it

Agent_Kaliaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#25 Agent_Kaliaver
Member since 2004 • 4722 Posts

[QUOTE="LongZhiZi"]

What? Most of those games you listed have demos. Not all, but at least half...Ondoval

Well considering how games lately have been using the word "beta" to replace "demo" then I still see many as demos, and I know many betas (but not all) are still being used as betas. and DoW2 had a open beta that, if I am correct, anyone on steam could access, essentially making it a mp demo. The problem is that for many popular games, Halo, CoD, Crysis 2, Elder Scrolls games, Half-Life, and more a demo would hurt sales most likely. Which is why we tend to see less demos for those games because well.... hype sells. But for games that are not as popular and do not have much hype around, a demo seems almost necessary to try and get people to buy it. I think a better solution would be to stop releasing demos prior to release and just release them either days to one week after the games release. That way the game would still sell to whatever hype it has and then those on the fence can test it out. That way the demo would not remove any of the "will buy no matter what" sales. Plus if a game sells well enough then the developer may not need to make a demo at all. Plus I am confused on how something that goes on so long has now reached a point where it is not worth being free. I understand it does cost money to make a demo, but companies would not have done it for the past 10+ years if they did not think it profitable. Along with that, if this is not worth being free to users than what about trailers being made, or advertisements on websites? I can see those for free; why not make those cost make to actually view? Why don't they? Because that would help butcher any type of hype they try to create. If demos start to be pay-for then I will only buy the games that I am completely hyped for and never buy games I am on the fence about. Right now I am willing to buy both types if I can test some out with a demo, but now all those fenced games won't be bought for me, which is pretty big because I would say half the games I buy I only buy after a demo.
LongZhiZi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 LongZhiZi

[QUOTE="LongZhiZi"]

DoW II has a demo on Steam. I downloaded it last month. Half-Life has a demo, as well as Arma 2 and the Witcher. http://store.steampowered.com/app/15680/ Games with a huge fanbase will probably see less demos, but new IPs will most certainly get them.
brentsonier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 brentsonier
Member since 2009 • 39 Posts

EA is just a bunch of money grubbing wh*res!!!

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

[QUOTE="lucfonzy"]

Ondoval

ArmA 2, Battlefield 2, Half Life 2, and CoD 4: MW had demos. The only reason I finally decided to buy Crysis was after playing the demo which was great and contrary to what the haters where saying.

Of course, demos are a luxury. I admire even more companies that take the extra effort to provide one.

lucfonzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 lucfonzy

Mr_Ditters

Precisely. And to Ondoval, you mentioned games such as GTA or Oblivion not having demos because of the nature of the games, how about Just Cause 2? That was an immense demo and I'm sure it boosted sales tremendously. Now imagine if you had to pay for that demo, do you think the game would have done as well?

IMO companies are getting exceedingly greedy, as Mr Ditters said, a free demo is marketing, you are supposed to invest money to make money.

Edit: Typos

Avatar image for Too_tight_shoes
Too_tight_shoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Too_tight_shoes
Member since 2009 • 2486 Posts

Mr_Ditters
Use to be but now gaming has become mainstream... they can sell on hype and trailer alone.
Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
I was under the impression that demos were suppose convince us to buy their games.
OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 OoSuperMarioO
Member since 2005 • 6539 Posts

Depends on the Gamer, Videogame/platform, but for me personally a good demo can motivate to make a purchase. In Crytek's case I'm not sure if it's really that important to distribute a demo for Crysis 2, however for a smaller dev a great demo can be significant to encourage gamers to try it out to decide a purchase(Thanks to Runic Games by releasing a Torchlight demo).

Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

[QUOTE="Mr_Ditters"]

lucfonzy

Precisely. And to Ondoval, you mentioned games such as GTA or Oblivion not having demos because of the nature of the games, how about Just Cause 2? That was an immense demo and I'm sure it boosted sales tremendously. Now imagine if you had to pay for that demo, do you think the game would have done as well?

I would gladly pay for such demos. The Crysis demo was also worth paying for.

OoSuperMarioO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 OoSuperMarioO
Member since 2005 • 6539 Posts

When I'll have my own forum, I'll ban everybody that comments without reading the article and everybody that makes such misleading titles.

I'm getting sick of this tabloid crap on Gamespot, just as I'm getting sick of people calling boycott on everything even if they have no idea what all this is about.

Baranga

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WINDtlPXmmE&

That or help me build my Spaceship.

Avatar image for hartsickdiscipl
hartsickdiscipl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#35 hartsickdiscipl
Member since 2003 • 14787 Posts

I will never pay for a demo, period. A demo is not a "luxury." There were free demos for almost every game back in the late 90's and early 2000's. I'm seeing fewer and fewer free playable demos coming out, and it's pissing me off. I've bought more games in the last few years that I regret buying because I didn't have a chance to play a demo first. I think Crytek are absolute idiots for thinking this way. I'm a big fan of Crysis and Warhead, but I don't know if I would've even bought the first Crysis if not for the demo. All I heard were people oooing and awwing over the graphics, but saying that no GPU could run the game right with maxed-out settings. If I hadn't had a chance to play the demo for myself, I might've been discouraged from buying it by all the detractors.

Playable demos are marketing for the dev/publisher, and they get people excited to play your game. There's nothing wrong with them being free, because they end up charging full price for the finished game anyways. Free demos were around before Crytek, and I pray that they're around after Crytek is gone. When I play a demo for an upcoming game, I finish it and want more! You know what I do when I want more? I go buy the full game. That's how it works Crytek.. always has.

Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts

Mr_Ditters
^^ Exactly. A demo is there to let you try a part of the game before deciding if you want to buy it or not. And particularly important for Crytek, it lets potential customers know how well their new game might run on that persons PC. After Crysis 1 going all out to use the latest and greatest, it was hardly surprising to find that it ran like crap on high settings for a lot of people, so a demo is even more important. You can release all the videos you want showing tiny clips of the game spliced together into an action packed montage, but it is not a substitute for someone actually playing a section of the game and judging for themselves how good it is.
HavocEbonlore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 HavocEbonlore
Member since 2007 • 483 Posts

A luxury? Lol, yeah, and I'll buy a car without test driving it. Demo or gtfo.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 dakan45
^LoL...you are right, luxury is having many "usefull" stuff. Trying out something is not luxury, its marketing. You wouldnt buy the crappiest car without test drive now would you? But at the end its just a choice. If they dont want to make a demo, thats fine. But please dont call it "luxury"
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#39 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58557 Posts

Crytek is reeeeaallly pushing it...

Bristar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Bristar
Member since 2002 • 495 Posts

A "luxury"? Correct me if im wrong but aint a demo basicly a CHEAP version of advertisment? Instead of spending milions on things they could make a demo and it will do better then a picture saying "omg epic game buy now"

KalDurenik

You are so right...a demo is a friggin advertisement. They have some balls when they start claiming it's a luxury or want to charge for it. Yes it costs them money, but so does most advertisng worth a damn. These developers are getting way too cocky lately. A demo is made to sell their product not as a favor to the customer...they should be saying thank you for downloading it, not acting like they are doing some God like favor to us.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
Well Crytek, have people pay for your game instead of pirating it is a luxury too. ;)
albertafox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 albertafox
Member since 2004 • 165 Posts

"A free demo is a luxury" ?

Perhaps I can make this statement better.

"A video game is a luxury"

And other would state that "having enough time to play games is a luxury"

Meanwhile, insiders are saying that test driving a new car or perhaps, viewing a home before purchasing is a "luxury" now, because it costs to much time and money to actually try and sell something.

Seems like a entitlement attitude to me.

GhoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#43 GhoX
Member since 2006 • 6267 Posts
Why do people keep on thinking that demos are free and cost no money at all?
schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 schu
Member since 2003 • 10191 Posts

I always assumedCrytek had a decent amount of autistic people on its staff....I don't think normal human beings are capable of making the crap they make..

Probably have to sacrifice a bit in the "personability" department to get that type of talent.

k0r3aN_pR1d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#45 k0r3aN_pR1d3
Member since 2005 • 2148 Posts
That has to be the dumbest statement I've seen. Movie trailers cost production firms alot of money surprisingly. Not only do you have to assemble the scenes together, but you have to hire a voice team (if needed) and you need to pay tens of millions for primetime ad spots on TV/newspapers/billboards. Methinks Crytek is lacking confidence that they wouldn't easily recoup the cost of making a demo which wouldn't even cost you as much.
lucfonzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 lucfonzy

Why do people keep on thinking that demos are free and cost no money at all?GhoX

We aren't saying they don't cost money to produce, because that would be a lie, of course they cost money to produce, but so does advertisement, companies spend millions on marketing, a demo is just a form of advertisement.

Then again I'm not saying Crytek should give us a demo, because we don't necessarily need one, the point is if they do make on, the chances are they will follow EA and make us pay for it.

Artosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Artosa
Member since 2005 • 5063 Posts

[QUOTE="lucfonzy"]

Ondoval

Call of duty 1 to 5 all have demo ArmA 2 has a demo so does the witcher and dow2 a demo ceases to become a demo when you have to pay for it
SinfulPotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 SinfulPotato
Member since 2005 • 1381 Posts

You **** about priacy.. now this? Make up your mind do you want MORE pirates? If you have no demo people will pirate to try your game out.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 dakan45

I always assumedCrytek had a decent amount of autistic people on its staff....I don't think normal human beings are capable of making the crap they make..schu

I loled. :lol: Well yeah sometimes i get that feeling too. Seriously sometimes you gotta ask youself do the gamedevelopers really give a damn anymore? Or they completly given up on trying to do their work.

General_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 General_X
Member since 2003 • 9137 Posts
ITT: People complaining without reading between the lines Crytek is just defending EA's plan on making paid demos. You know, EA, the publisher of Crytek's games and the entity that pays for distributing their games...