Problems running Battlefield 2 on vista

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FUBAR24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 FUBAR24
Member since 2005 • 12185 Posts
I got a new laptop this christmas which has high enough specs to run BF2. The only problem is when i first installed it it said that it was only tested with windows XP. I installed it and restarted my computer and tried starting the game and the screen comes up like it is about to load the game but then it just quits and goes back to the desktop.

My hardware is:
HP Pavilion DV6654US
-1.50 GHz Intel Centrino Duo processor technology featuring Intel Core 2 Duo processor T5250 w/2 MB L2 Cache
-2048MB DDR2 System Memory
-Intel Graphics Media Accelerator X3100
-250 GB Harddrive

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#2 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts
Easy fix. Instead of double left clicking it, right click and run as an Administrator. Some older games require this. BF2 happens to be one of them.
cobrax75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 cobrax75
Member since 2007 • 8389 Posts
your hardware has an intergrated Video card...which is not expected to run more demanding games....if possible, you should install a new video card.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Wasdie  Moderator

your hardware has an intergrated Video card...which is not expected to run more demanding games....if possible, you should install a new video card.cobrax75

He has a laptop, that isn't really an option.

FUBAR24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 FUBAR24

Easy fix. Instead of double left clicking it, right click and run as an Administrator. Some older games require this. BF2 happens to be one of them.Wasdie

i tried that and it would bring up the BF2 loading screen, the screen goes black, then it goes back to my desktop and it brings up an error saying Battlefield 2 has stopped working

your hardware has an intergrated Video card...which is not expected to run more demanding games....if possible, you should install a new video card.cobrax75

how do you install a graphics card on a laptop

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]Easy fix. Instead of double left clicking it, right click and run as an Administrator. Some older games require this. BF2 happens to be one of them.FUBAR24

i tried that and it would bring up the BF2 loading screen, the screen goes black, then it goes back to my desktop and it brings up an error saying Battlefield 2 has stopped working

So one problem to another. I would try a fresh install. Uninstall everything, restart, reinstall. If that doesn't do the trick, you comp probably can't handle BF2.

FUBAR24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 FUBAR24
[QUOTE="FUBAR24"]

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]Easy fix. Instead of double left clicking it, right click and run as an Administrator. Some older games require this. BF2 happens to be one of them.Wasdie

So one problem to another. I would try a fresh install. Uninstall everything, restart, reinstall. If that doesn't do the trick, you comp probably can't handle BF2.

damn oh well its not like its that big of a deal. i picked it up for 10 bucks at target

gotcha455

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 gotcha455
Member since 2006 • 2611 Posts
I doubt it's his lousy integrated GFX chip that's the problem. If that was the only problem, then he's at least get to the game menu, only to try and play the game and have it fail to load the map.....
AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 AdamPA1006
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

I doubt it's his lousy integrated GFX chip that's the problem. If that was the only problem, then he's at least get to the game menu, only to try and play the game and have it fail to load the map.....gotcha455

No, BF2 shows the splash screen then goes back to desktop when the graphics card isnt supported. That is his problem.

RK-Mara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 RK-Mara
Member since 2006 • 11489 Posts
As far as I know, Battlefield 2 doesn't support any of the integrated Intel chips.
FUBAR24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 FUBAR24

As far as I know, Battlefield 2 doesn't support any of the integrated Intel chips.RK-Mara

well like i said i got it for ten bucks and it was a gift card so no skin off my back

sysypizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 sysypizza
Member since 2006 • 222 Posts
thats weird the x3100 should be able to handle battlefield 2, low to medium settings, at playable frames. Check youtube.
steshere05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 steshere05
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

I have just installed Vista on my XP Alienware. Ive played BF2 for about a year on the old, i installed BF2 and now its stopped, i double clicked and also tried the administrator open, still no luck. I have a good knowledge of comps and looked around, but asking in here is my last hope. what you think guys? this is a fresh install on a comp that happily played it before.

Ste

spyke3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 spyke3
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

You are all wrong. BF2 Requires a refresh rate of 60hz. Your refresh rate is probably locked in at 59hz. Reguardless of what it is you can fix that by doing this: Go to My Documents\Battlefield 2\Profiles\Default. Find video.con and open it with notepad. Find the section that shows the screen size and refresh rate and change it to match your refresh rate. Do not change the screen size just the refresh rate. I had this problem and emailed EA about it and they replied with this:

Hello!

Thank you for contacting Electronic Arts Technical Support. I apologize for the difficulty you're having with Battlefield 2142.

Unfortunately, the game does not support and is not tested to run in 59 Hertz refresh rate. Please make sure that the refresh rate is set to 60 Hertz in order to run the game.

Should you require further assistance about this or any Electronic Arts games in the future please visit our website and review our extensive Self Help knowledgebase (http://support.ea.com)/.

Sincerely,

Chris P.
EA Technical Support

billmurton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 billmurton
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

BF2 on Vista not working to working!!!!

I just got a new Dell studio 17. I installed BF2 demo to make sure BF2 would work on my machine. I worked great. Then I put on BF2 retail.

Installed fine but would not run. Got BF2 splash screen then black then desktop I tried everything. Then I went to my document folder and deleted the BF2 folder and renamed the Battlefield 2 demo folder to Battlefieds 2 and started the game and it worked. I just used the demos setting to get it to work. This is the answer!!!! I hope it works for you!!!!

simardbrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 simardbrad
Member since 2004 • 2355 Posts
if your laptop can't run battlefield 2 at all, have fun trying to play anything from 2003+
BF_DoUg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 BF_DoUg
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

i have the same problem tho mines a bit different i have the same graphic axcelirator, 2.0GHz duel core 2gb DDR 2 ram and a 160gb hard drive but when i install BF2 it gets up to installing the maps and fails its also the saem with halo 1 y cant i install maps?

loharv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 loharv
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Hi, Im getting a crash to desktop as soon as BF2142 attempts to launch. I've tried updating everything. I went to change the hz rate to 60 as suggested, and it was already at 60. Tried running in compatibility mode and as admin. If I need to change this refresh rate to match my system, how do I find out my systems refresh rate?