PC Gaming Isn't Dead

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dev_ron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 dev_ron
Member since 2005 • 2465 Posts

The PC, as a format, always wins and it always wins because it keeps waits out the competition. It's amorphous. Maybe next-gen PCs will play 360 games, or there will be no discs at all? PC games also tend to be more sophisticated and interactive; I just can't see doing Age of Empires 3, Evil Genius, Warcraft 3, Black and White 2, or The Movies on the Xbox 360.
The real question is, what will next-gen PC games look like? I've seen early renders of Unreal 3 stuff, and it's ridiculously detailed. Can you imagine what will happen when we think 360 games, like Call of Duty 2, look simple and ugly?

harrisi17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#2 harrisi17
Member since 2004 • 4010 Posts
PC gaming is more alive than ever and it seems like this fall will boost it even more. ev3er since I started playing on a PC, I haven't stopped.
Shegevara

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#3 Shegevara
Member since 2005 • 2124 Posts
whoever says PC gaming is dead is retarded cons0le lover. PC gaming is the opposite of dying
dev_ron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dev_ron
whoever says PC gaming is dead is retarded cons0le lover. PC gaming is the opposite of dyingShegevara

110 out of 100
Avatar image for justheretodl124
justheretodl124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 justheretodl124
Member since 2005 • 1255 Posts
It's not dead obviously but it is in a decline there's just so few good games being released and I don't think its going to get better any time soon.
Bass7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 Bass7
Member since 2004 • 6614 Posts
Wow, who said PC gaming is dead? lol, they must be out of their mind. BTW you should move this to the System Wars thread, because some fanboy is bound to come in here and bash the PC.
DarKre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DarKre
Member since 2003 • 9529 Posts
These PC gaming isn't dead" threads are becoming just as annoying as "pc gaming is dead" threads.
Anthony9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 Anthony9000
Member since 2006 • 2173 Posts
*skips thread and goes onto the next*
Pinb0t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 Pinb0t
Member since 2007 • 615 Posts
Who ever said PC gaming is dead?
Revolution_DDM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Revolution_DDM
Member since 2005 • 274 Posts
If anything, console gaming is slowly dying. You'll notice how much consoles are becoming like PCs. I really see no reason why someone would buy a console except for the exclusives, but that's probably just me.
Avatar image for -InsrtNameHere-
-InsrtNameHere-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 -InsrtNameHere-
Member since 2005 • 2981 Posts
I don't really play PC games a whole lot, but I have noticed that it really has picked up. Maybe with Microsoft's plan of gaming between the 360 and PC users, with such games as Shadowrun, will help even more.
A55kicka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 A55kicka
Member since 2007 • 93 Posts

Some good games that will bring PC gaming from declining to gaining:

Warhammer Online

Tabula Rasa

The Agency

Huxley

All Points Bulletin

In my opinion I think MMOs are the best PC games, I dont like playing shooters onkeyboards with mouses. I think these MMOs will bring PC gaming on the rise though.

Skullheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Skullheart
Member since 2006 • 2054 Posts

The PC, as a format, always wins and it always wins because it keeps waits out the competition. It's amorphous. Maybe next-gen PCs will play 360 games, or there will be no discs at all? PC games also tend to be more sophisticated and interactive; I just can't see doing Age of Empires 3, Evil Genius, Warcraft 3, Black and White 2, or The Movies on the Xbox 360.
The real question is, what will next-gen PC games look like? I've seen early renders of Unreal 3 stuff, and it's ridiculously detailed. Can you imagine what will happen when we think 360 games, like Call of Duty 2, look simple and ugly?

dev_ron

I don't get why people are always like, "OMG PC GAMING IS DEAD! I GO BUY TEH UNRELIABLE CONSOLE SYSTEM INSTEAD!"

jazilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#14 jazilla
Member since 2005 • 2320 Posts
Phew...I thought I bought a new computer for nothing! Thanks for clearing up that business about PC gaming being dead. I was really worried that it was truly 6 feet under, and maggots were feasting on PC's rotting carcass. I am so relieved.
Feran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Feran
Member since 2003 • 968 Posts
deffinatly not dead just too many good games coming out to say other wise. Consoles may be more main stream but PCs are alive and well and has its foot in the door ;)
tony2077ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 tony2077ca
Member since 2005 • 5242 Posts
these threads are getting very annoying
bonejester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 bonejester
Member since 2003 • 789 Posts
everytime some one posts that pc gaming isn't dead (or dying), it becomes more and more obvious that it is. you don't see console gamers saying consoles aren't dead. they have no one to convince.
DarthMaul135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DarthMaul135
Member since 2004 • 1076 Posts

Reasons why its worth being a PC Gamer in 2007 - http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=24525221

check out that thread man. and its still gonna get better and better for us PC Gamers, no matter how much console fans try to deny our superiority.

brood_aliance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#19 brood_aliance
Member since 2004 • 1005 Posts

As much as a PC fanboy I am, I think PC gaming popularity is going downhill. All the great PC games just become ports because publishers and developers want more money. Look at C&C3, Half-Life 2, CS. ALL ports. Potentially good games like Universe at War, World in Conflict, Unreal Tournament 3, Enemy Territory, could be found on consoles. I think it will slowly die, because the consoles are alot more popular. The minimum requirement for new games NEED to be lower for mainstream gamers and PC users. I'm a hardcore gamer, and I can't even play the new games with my new PC, and I simply can't afford to get a new graphics card and power supply.

Avatar image for justheretodl124
justheretodl124

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 justheretodl124
Member since 2005 • 1255 Posts

Reasons why its worth being a PC Gamer in 2007 - http://www.gamespot.com/pages/forums/show_msgs.php?topic_id=24525221

check out that thread man. and its still gonna get better and better for us PC Gamers, no matter how much console fans try to deny our superiority.

DarthMaul135

I love how nearly half of those games are still tba or could likely be pushed into 08

1carus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 1carus
Member since 2004 • 1454 Posts

The only thing that's gonna stop me from playing PC Games is if Microsoft completely takes over and turns it into a console... but that's for another thread.

Yes, PC Gaming is the greatest platform. And I'm actually going to admit that PC Gaming isn't as good as it was back in 96-99, but it's still far more rich, interesting and complex than the crappy dumbed down, watery bull**** they get over on the consoles. However, non-exclusives really do bug me. Why don't developers ever make PC Games, JUST PC Games anymore!? There's like, Crysis and Starcraft II...

Avatar image for deactivated-5c20477a5e387
deactivated-5c20477a5e387

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5c20477a5e387
Member since 2003 • 4291 Posts

PC gaming isn't dead, but as someone said, it is certainly going downhill. Compare the state of PC gaming in the 90s with the modern day. Those who spew nonsense like "PC gaming is more alive than ever" are blind fanboys.

But as for the decline of PC gaming, I'd say the Xbox/Xbox 360 is the biggest factor.

Skullheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Skullheart
Member since 2006 • 2054 Posts

Phew...I thought I bought a new computer for nothing! Thanks for clearing up that business about PC gaming being dead. I was really worried that it was truly 6 feet under, and maggots were feasting on PC's rotting carcass. I am so relieved.jazilla

Why would you even think that way? The PC, has an AWESOME lineup from now to Q4 of 2008. Since the beginning of gaming, the PC has always ... always lasted and waited out consoles like the TC mentioned. Consoles always die. The PC lives forever :/

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts

whoever says PC gaming is dead is retarded cons0le lover. PC gaming is the opposite of dyingShegevara

QFT

KhanhAgE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 KhanhAgE
Member since 2004 • 1345 Posts

dev_ron

Who said PC gaming was dead?

Oh, that one guy.....*rolls eyes*.

mes323

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26 mes323
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

PC gaming isn't dead or dying anytime soon. just look at the facts. Every year Microsoft, AMD, Intel, and Nvidia just to name a few dump millions of dollars into game and hardware development. You think they'd still be doing that if they knew there wasn't going to be a PC game market 2-4 years from now?

another thing, Dell sells pimped out XPS rigs for something like $4,000. who would buy a $4,000 dell designed for gaming? Obviously someone did because dell still makes em. AND Dell wouldn't manufacture a gaming PC unless well....THERE WERE GAMES FOR IT.

I own both a 360 and a gaming PC which I built myself and I have to say I enjoy playing games on my PC more so than on my 360. Even though Oblivion and a few others are also out for 360, I have PC versions of them all for better graphics, the addition of mods and the use of a good old fashioned keyboard and mouse. I also plan to get Bioshock (for the PC of course) and CRYSIS just to name a few. anyway, my point is there's always gonna be PC gamers out there interested in putting a little extra time and money intowhat I feel isthe most complete gaming experience out there.

Dabunzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Dabunzie
Member since 2006 • 453 Posts

It just seems like that because the big 3 just released their new consoles, so many developers will be publishing games on the consoles while the technilogical gap is still small. In a year or two, the pc will be seeing many more big exclusives because dx10 will become standard and overall technology will have left consoles in the dust.

I think i remember seeing somewhere that sony or microsoft plans to not release another console until 2012.

tony2077ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 tony2077ca
i think devs are focusing on making games look good then on good gameplay or story. some have good gameplay or story's but they're rare
Herrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Herrick
Member since 2004 • 4549 Posts

[QUOTE="jazilla"]Phew...I thought I bought a new computer for nothing! Thanks for clearing up that business about PC gaming being dead. I was really worried that it was truly 6 feet under, and maggots were feasting on PC's rotting carcass. I am so relieved.Skullheart

Why would you even think that way? The PC, has an AWESOME lineup from now to Q4 of 2008. Since the beginning of gaming, the PC has always ... always lasted and waited out consoles like the TC mentioned. Consoles always die. The PC lives forever :/

I believe he was being sarcastic, mang.

m_j_skin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 m_j_skin
Member since 2006 • 175 Posts
The thing is, PC's have no limits! the graphics and detail in games just keeps getting better and better.
I'm scared to think of what PC games will be like in 10 years time haha :)
Avatar image for MJ0LNIR_SPARTAN
MJ0LNIR_SPARTAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MJ0LNIR_SPARTAN
Member since 2007 • 409 Posts
It's not dead and it never will be. However it's not more alive than ever either, but it is going to have one of it's better years with crysis being hyped up so much. Personally i'm looking forward to Far Cry 2.
demonik_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 demonik_360
Member since 2006 • 1850 Posts
demonik_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 demonik_360
Member since 2006 • 1850 Posts

PC gaming isn't dead, but as someone said, it is certainly going downhill. Compare the state of PC gaming in the 90s with the modern day. Those who spew nonsense like "PC gaming is more alive than ever" are blind fanboys.

But as for the decline of PC gaming, I'd say the Xbox/Xbox 360 is the biggest factor.

_Memento_
the 360 is enjoyable to us...but its killing microsoft little by little...they have a lot of money but you can tell me 3.2 billion in losses is good...they will have to work HARD to get that back
pop_yoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#34 pop_yoo
Member since 2005 • 198 Posts
Pc gaming rocks can't wait for this fall lots and lots of cool games :D
Avatar image for MJ0LNIR_SPARTAN
MJ0LNIR_SPARTAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 MJ0LNIR_SPARTAN
Member since 2007 • 409 Posts

The only thing that's gonna stop me from playing PC Games is if Microsoft completely takes over and turns it into a console... but that's for another thread.

Yes, PC Gaming is the greatest platform. And I'm actually going to admit that PC Gaming isn't as good as it was back in 96-99, but it's still far more rich, interesting and complex than the crappy dumbed down, watery bull**** they get over on the consoles. However, non-exclusives really do bug me. Why don't developers ever make PC Games, JUST PC Games anymore!? There's like, Crysis and Starcraft II...

1carus

I believe now the pc gets the watery bull**** dumbed down ports.

1carus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 1carus
Member since 2004 • 1454 Posts
[QUOTE="1carus"]

MJ0LNIR_SPARTAN

I believe now the pc gets the watery bull**** dumbed down ports.

Are you agreeing with me? Because I think it's annoying that we ARE constantly getting these ports from all the other consoles.

ikwal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ikwal
Member since 2004 • 1600 Posts

It's not dead obviously but it is in a decline there's just so few good games being released and I don't think its going to get better any time soon.justheretodl124

Seriously you are joking right?

123monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 123monkey
Member since 2004 • 254 Posts

these threads are getting very annoying tony2077ca

Amen to that, very annoying indeed!

dev_ron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 dev_ron

I distinctly remember when the Nintendo 64 launched in the U.S. The common wisdom among developers at that time was that the Nintendo 64 was hugely more powerful than the top gaming PC (in 1997, roughly a Pentium 100 Mgz CPU, a 1 GB hard drive, and right around 32 MB of system RAM). At the time, Goldeneye on the N64 was seen as bleeding-edge.

The N64 produced some visually stunning games, especially for its time. But a year or so later, a funny thing happened: The PC walked right past the Nintendo 64 and never looked back. Games like Half-Life, Quake 2, and Unreal came along in 1998 and 1999 and changed everything. They looked--and controlled--immeasurably better than the best PSX or N64 games. Which means that the Xbox 360 and PS3, as powerful as they are, stand no chance against the ever-growing PC. 8)

DarthMaul135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DarthMaul135
[QUOTE="DarthMaul135"]

justheretodl124

I love how nearly half of those games are still tba or could likely be pushed into 08

You seem to have missed the point, that it isnt about the year tis about the EXCLUSIVES we are getting. Over all youd be crazy to say this list of games isnt good enough.

Daytona_178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#41 Daytona_178
Member since 2005 • 14962 Posts

I will second that comment good sir!

CaptainCrazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#43 CaptainCrazy
Member since 2002 • 6856 Posts
PC's are the best medium for gaming but they will always be a niche market due to the technical knowledge needed and high price of upgrading. Also, due to the fact that PC games are more sophisticated, they are beyond the reach of the mass market/casual gamer. Consoles are much more user friendly which is why they will alwasy be the driving force behind the gaming industry. You can literally count the number of PC games on one hand that have managed to garner mass appeal, The Sims and World of Warcraft, maybe a couple of others.
Pete5506

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#44 Pete5506
Member since 2006 • 10112 Posts

I have many systems and the best one is the PC all the way, its never going to die

DarthMaul135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DarthMaul135

PC's are the best medium for gaming but they will always be a niche market due to the technical knowledge needed and high price of upgrading. Also, due to the fact that PC games are more sophisticated, they are beyond the reach of the mass market/casual gamer. Consoles are much more user friendly which is why they will alwasy be the driving force behind the gaming industry. You can literally count the number of PC games on one hand that have managed to garner mass appeal, The Sims and World of Warcraft, maybe a couple of others.CaptainCrazy

Meh so what if it requires higher IQ people to play it :P there are alot us.

tony2077ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 tony2077ca

consoles are better because you don't have ask yourself can my system run this

proud consoles andpc lover

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#47 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts
onsoles are better because you don't have ask yourself can my system run thistony2077ca
Hehe, if you're smart, you don't have to ask that question for PC games either. It's been 6 months now since the last time I even bothered to look at the requirements before buying games.
shatgan2222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#48 shatgan2222
Member since 2007 • 264 Posts
pc gaming will never die...because pcs always keep going up with tecnology same as the gaming consoles..
Avatar image for ChinoJamesKeene
ChinoJamesKeene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ChinoJamesKeene
Member since 2003 • 1201 Posts

MasterMarioChIEf says

"BLAH BLAH BLAH 360 PWNS! WII360! BLAHHHH..."

fail

mazare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 mazare
Member since 2005 • 687 Posts
People who prefer console games are spreading paranoia about dying PC gaming. For example on Xfire forums i haven`t seen a topic like PC gaming is dying or PC gaming is dead. Many people still play CS, WOW, and even ET scene isn`t dead in Europe. PC gameing won`t die so soon if it will, it will take at least 15 years.