PC games should be free to play

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

superzero14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 superzero14
Member since 2007 • 86 Posts
 Every time i find out about a game that looks great  and sounds great they make it so that u have to pay to play i would never in my whole entire life pay tp lay a game online like WoW even tho its awesome i still wouldnt care because u should just have to buy it not pay to play i think the people who made the games like that made a huge mistake because if people didnt have to pay to play then more people would play the game because if i wanted to i would have played WoW by now but i found out that u have to pay to play and that ends my message:D
oscar530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 oscar530
Member since 2005 • 4430 Posts
lol if u don't wanna play then go play console games or those games you get of the websites
Avatar image for Rockin_MixMasta
Rockin_MixMasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Rockin_MixMasta
Member since 2004 • 3427 Posts
Umm... Dude... There are like 5 games out there worth buying that you have to pay-2-play for. Stop complaining, please. Majority of the games are free. I pay-2-play. So do over 8.5million other people. I'm sorry if they can't please the people with no jobs/parental support.
Avatar image for Rockin_MixMasta
Rockin_MixMasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Rockin_MixMasta
Member since 2004 • 3427 Posts
www.miniclip.com Problem solved.
oscar530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 oscar530
Umm... Dude... There are like 5 games out there worth buying that you have to pay-2-play for. Stop complaining, please. Majority of the games are free. I pay-2-play. So do over 8.5million other people. I'm sorry if they can't please the people with no jobs/parental support.Rockin_MixMasta
lol nice man
edgeofforever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 edgeofforever
Member since 2004 • 349 Posts
Hahaha, yeah. I'm sure Blizzard are really broken up about the fact that they aren't getting your money. Seriously though, they make WAY more money this way, and they have to keep making money to keep the servers up and updated, and to keep updating the game. 
oscar530

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 oscar530
[QUOTE="Rockin_MixMasta"]www.miniclip.com Problem solved.

wow i can't believe that sites still running man brings back great old memories
BloodMist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 BloodMist
Member since 2002 • 32922 Posts
Well either get a job so you can pay 15 measly bucks a month or stop complaining.Or play the multitude of free to play games out there, geez.
Deihmos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Deihmos
Member since 2007 • 7819 Posts

Well either get a job so you can pay 15 measly bucks a month or stop complaining.Or play the multitude of free to play games out there, geez.BloodMist

And people complain about paying $50 a year for Xbox Live. $15 a month is $180 a year.

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

Every time i find out about a game that looks great  and sounds great they make it so that u have to pay to play i would never in my whole entire life pay tp lay a game online like WoW even tho its awesome i still wouldnt care because u should just have to buy it not pay to play i think the people who made the games like that made a huge mistake because if people didnt have to pay to play then more people would play the game because if i wanted to i would have played WoW by now but i found out that u have to pay to play and that ends my message:D
superzero14

Using WoW as the example, if noone needed to pay, then who is going to fork over the millions of dollars per month it takes to keep allthe servers up???  If you didn't pay, there would be no WoW.

P.S.  The period button is two spaces to the right of the letter "M".  Try it out sometime.

Ryan_Gaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ryan_Gaston
Member since 2003 • 353 Posts

[QUOTE="BloodMist"]Well either get a job so you can pay 15 measly bucks a month or stop complaining.Or play the multitude of free to play games out there, geez.Deihmos

And people complain about paying $50 a year for Xbox Live. $15 a month is $180 a year.

It always takes a bite out of my a** when people give me the figures for how much you're really spending a year on a single game... $180 = 1 year $360 = 2 years $540 = 3 years so on and so forth... but think about it... if you get paid over $300 a month then it's not that bad, yes the figures over time look awful and bring about a reality to where your money is actually going and where that money COULD have gone... but think about it... minimum wage now *at least in colorado* is $6.85... i work 30 hours in 2 weeks, if not more... so i get at minimum $205 a paycheck (gross) so i get about $195 net pay every 2 weeks just working 3 - 5 hour shifts...sometimes longer... i'm still in highschool so that's reasonable... but the fact of the matter is... $15 out of the near $400 a month is just as expensive as going to chipotle for lunch with one of your friends.... or having 2 burritos in one day or one two days in a row... which doesn't seem too bad... BUT! around here... people buy those $7 burritos every day after school... now if they did that for a month they'd be paying $210 on food a month... and the rest of their money usually goes to gas... so, $15 a month isn't really a whole lot, but when people throw a statistic in there for each year you've been playing, it makes you think... what COULD that money have gone too... but of course, that's not as bad as making those poor bastards who ate chipotle every day after school think about where their money COULD have gone too... because it only lasts for 3 minutes... and Poof*** no more burrito...
Skage44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Skage44
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
    There are much better free games out there trust me, most of the pay 2 play games are just lame rpgs anyway that get boring after the first month or 2.  If you really wanna play WoW, just pay for 1 or 2 months subscription, and play a whole lot so you get your moneys worth.  For me, it was really fun until I got 60 and had done all the instances a few times and the game became very repetitive.
Swiftstrike5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#13 Swiftstrike5
Member since 2005 • 6950 Posts
what COULD that money have gone too... but of course, that's not as bad as making those poor bastards who ate chipotle every day after school think about where their money COULD have gone too... because it only lasts for 3 minutes... and Poof*** no more burrito... Ryan_Gaston
^^^ROFLMAO
daghettopirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 daghettopirate
Member since 2004 • 54 Posts

Using WoW as the example, if noone needed to pay, then who is going to fork over the millions of dollars per month it takes to keep allthe servers up??? If you didn't pay, there would be no WoW.

P.S. The period button is two spaces to the right of the letter "M". Try it out sometime.

Johnny_Rock
Okay, you're right about his punctuation, its bloody atrocious but you're completely wrong about "millions of dollars needed to keep the servers up" game companies don't NEED to charge for their service. Especially with a company like Blizzard that has been around for years making a huge amount of money. It really doesn't matter, they aren't charging THAT much. but saying they NEED to do it is false. I don't really care one way or the other. If you want to pay for a game like WoW then go for it. If not, then don't and everyone is happy.
daghettopirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 daghettopirate
Member since 2004 • 54 Posts
Oh and if you break down the cost the other way... its like 50 cents a day... so don't bother using that arguement
Dracunos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Dracunos
Member since 2004 • 1154 Posts
daghettopirate wrote: Oh and if you break down the cost the other way... its like 50 cents a day... so don't bother using that arguement Yeah, I'm a greedy and I take a lot of my life griping and **** over things like how much money I'm actually spending on things.. But then, when I buy single items that cost a few thousand, like a new PC, or 6k on a car, which is extreeeeeemely cheep in the realm of cars.. I consider that all the penny-pinching I had to get over to spend a whooole huge 100 dollars (which it seemed at the time) to buy a palmone PDA was really like.. such a tiny amount of money, considering that things going to last me for a few years, hopefully. It's just aggrivating, so all I really do is try my reasonable best to not waste money, and to spend as little as possible while still thoroughly enjoying myself, and my money is increasing and I'm not in debt right now, so I suppose compared to everyone else I'm doing above average :p emo people depress me and make me wanna cut myself and suicide.
Sirthugalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Sirthugalot
Member since 2007 • 67 Posts
Maybe if electricity is free or they have cheap server admins and maintenance. It's impossible to make MMORPG's free to play unless you lower the content and have loads of expansions.

And don't say Guild Wars is free, I know it is, but that game is like a single player, you can play it without people.
GeryGo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 GeryGo  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 12806 Posts
superzero14
dude - the company of any MMORPG need to maintain their servers - and that's cost money - fixing bugs, keeping that their servers won't lag - those things cost money - well maybe monthly payment is a bit high but still need to pay , if you don't want to pay monthly for MMORPG just search for private servers - but you've been warned - people don't pay for the servers so it's lagging there
TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TheCrazed420
Member since 2003 • 7661 Posts
Ok, sure Blizzard needs to maintain their servers, I understand that, but guys, what is there, 10 million subscribers now? 10 mil x $15 = $150 000 000 A MONTH! Ok, I'm no economist here, but I seriously doubt it costs that much in maintenance fees per month. Face it, Blizzard should be dropping the price of their subscription, but they won't. Why? Because they have those 10 million subscibers by the cahones.
FlameMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 FlameMe
Member since 2006 • 1165 Posts
Ok, sure Blizzard needs to maintain their servers, I understand that, but guys, what is there, 10 million subscribers now? 10 mil x $15 = $150 000 000 A MONTH! Ok, I'm no economist here, but I seriously doubt it costs that much in maintenance fees per month. Face it, Blizzard should be dropping the price of their subscription, but they won't. Why? Because they have those 10 million subscibers by the cahones.TheCrazed420
Its because they can charge that much and people are willing to pay it. If people started cancelling there subscriptions then things would change, but people won't, so things won't change. Its not the companies fault the players won't ban together and demand a change. Plus, you constantly get new content so stop being cheap about it and just pay the monthly fee.
MyndFlyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 MyndFlyte
Member since 2005 • 1103 Posts

www.miniclip.com Problem solved.Rockin_MixMasta

Haha

TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TheCrazed420
[QUOTE="TheCrazed420"]Ok, sure Blizzard needs to maintain their servers, I understand that, but guys, what is there, 10 million subscribers now? 10 mil x $15 = $150 000 000 A MONTH! Ok, I'm no economist here, but I seriously doubt it costs that much in maintenance fees per month. Face it, Blizzard should be dropping the price of their subscription, but they won't. Why? Because they have those 10 million subscibers by the cahones.FlameMe
Its because they can charge that much and people are willing to pay it. If people started cancelling there subscriptions then things would change, but people won't, so things won't change. Its not the companies fault the players won't ban together and demand a change. Plus, you constantly get new content so stop being cheap about it and just pay the monthly fee.

Haha, nice contradiction. So you're telling me that it's not the companies fault for overcharging a product, and that the onus is on the player's to demand a lower price. And then you tell me "but you get the new content" and to stop complaining and pay up. Sorry, no. Sorry, I was subscribed to WoW for about a year, and the amount of new content put in does not equal to the money flow they get. I won't deny it, WoW is a great game, but once I got to the point where I was grinding more than playing, I quit. Guild wars doesn't have nearly as much content as WoW does, but they've managed to make 3 games and maintain their servers, all without charging a monthly fee. You are partially right. We as a community of gamers should protest this very obvious gouging of paying subscribers. But just as in today's politics, the illusion of democracy will shine thru, and we will get nowhere.
dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 dnuggs40
Member since 2003 • 10484 Posts

[QUOTE="FlameMe"][QUOTE="TheCrazed420"]Ok, sure Blizzard needs to maintain their servers, I understand that, but guys, what is there, 10 million subscribers now? 10 mil x $15 = $150 000 000 A MONTH! Ok, I'm no economist here, but I seriously doubt it costs that much in maintenance fees per month. Face it, Blizzard should be dropping the price of their subscription, but they won't. Why? Because they have those 10 million subscibers by the cahones.TheCrazed420

Haha, nice contradiction. So you're telling me that it's not the companies fault for overcharging a product, and that the onus is on the player's to demand a lower price. And then you tell me "but you get the new content" and to stop complaining and pay up. Sorry, no. Sorry, I was subscribed to WoW for about a year, and the amount of new content put in does not equal to the money flow they get. I won't deny it, WoW is a great game, but once I got to the point where I was grinding more than playing, I quit. Guild wars doesn't have nearly as much content as WoW does, but they've managed to make 3 games and maintain their servers, all without charging a monthly fee. You are partially right. We as a community of gamers should protest this very obvious gouging of paying subscribers. But just as in today's politics, the illusion of democracy will shine thru, and we will get nowhere.

They are not overcharging for thier product. The simple FACT is that millions of people are willing to pay $15 for this game. How can they gouge? Last time I checked playing a game was OPTIONAL, gouging only happens with things like gas, food, utilities, and other things that you must have and dont have a choice. Simple easy fact, WoW is a game and is optional, the fact that millions pay the price tells you that the fee is fair. Learn a bit about business before claiming a company is ripping people off.

And to answer your question, yes, the onus is on the people.  If nobody was willing to shell out $15 for the game, Blizzard would have to reduce thier fees.  Welcome to capitalism...

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58319 Posts
[QUOTE="Deihmos"]

[QUOTE="BloodMist"]Well either get a job so you can pay 15 measly bucks a month or stop complaining.Or play the multitude of free to play games out there, geez.Ryan_Gaston

It always takes a bite out of my a** when people give me the figures for how much you're really spending a year on a single game... $180 = 1 year $360 = 2 years $540 = 3 years so on and so forth... but think about it... if you get paid over $300 a month then it's not that bad, yes the figures over time look awful and bring about a reality to where your money is actually going and where that money COULD have gone... but think about it... minimum wage now *at least in colorado* is $6.85... i work 30 hours in 2 weeks, if not more... so i get at minimum $205 a paycheck (gross) so i get about $195 net pay every 2 weeks just working 3 - 5 hour shifts...sometimes longer... i'm still in highschool so that's reasonable... but the fact of the matter is... $15 out of the near $400 a month is just as expensive as going to chipotle for lunch with one of your friends.... or having 2 burritos in one day or one two days in a row... which doesn't seem too bad... BUT! around here... people buy those $7 burritos every day after school... now if they did that for a month they'd be paying $210 on food a month... and the rest of their money usually goes to gas... so, $15 a month isn't really a whole lot, but when people throw a statistic in there for each year you've been playing, it makes you think... what COULD that money have gone too... but of course, that's not as bad as making those poor bastards who ate chipotle every day after school think about where their money COULD have gone too... because it only lasts for 3 minutes... and Poof*** no more burrito...

Ya, its all about perspective.  I dont want to know how much money Ive spent on booze in the past month, let alone the year.  180 a year doesnt seem so bad for WoW.

Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
Ok, sure Blizzard needs to maintain their servers, I understand that, but guys, what is there, 10 million subscribers now? 10 mil x $15 = $150 000 000 A MONTH! Ok, I'm no economist here, but I seriously doubt it costs that much in maintenance fees per month. Face it, Blizzard should be dropping the price of their subscription, but they won't. Why? Because they have those 10 million subscibers by the cahones.TheCrazed420
What about just the general rent of the place to store these servers? What about salaries to the technicians and other employees in different parts of the world who need to be paid their salary? Blizzard hasn't made anything new since what? 2004? Just the maintenance of the servers isn't the only expense blizzard has to cover.
TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TheCrazed420

[QUOTE="TheCrazed420"][QUOTE="FlameMe"][QUOTE="TheCrazed420"]Ok, sure Blizzard needs to maintain their servers, I understand that, but guys, what is there, 10 million subscribers now? 10 mil x $15 = $150 000 000 A MONTH! Ok, I'm no economist here, but I seriously doubt it costs that much in maintenance fees per month. Face it, Blizzard should be dropping the price of their subscription, but they won't. Why? Because they have those 10 million subscibers by the cahones.dnuggs40

They are not overcharging for thier product. The simple FACT is that millions of people are willing to pay $15 for this game. How can they gouge? Last time I checked playing a game was OPTIONAL, gouging only happens with things like gas, food, utilities, and other things that you must have and dont have a choice. Simple easy fact, WoW is a game and is optional, the fact that millions pay the price tells you that the fee is fair. Learn a bit about business before claiming a company is ripping people off.

And to answer your question, yes, the onus is on the people.  If nobody was willing to shell out $15 for the game, Blizzard would have to reduce thier fees.  Welcome to capitalism...

I understand it's optional. They aren't forcing anyone to play their game. But we can compare WoW's monopoly of the MMO genre to MS's monopoly with PC OS's. They have gotten such a large chunk of the market that the genre is bleeding to death. Other companies cannot hope to compete with the empire that is Blizzard's game. Blizzard knows this. If there was a true competitor to it's game, the price would drop. And then what would you all say? Oh, I guess the employees took a pay cut, or they got cheaper servers or something. No, they would just be losing a little off the top. I would be less adamant about this if Blizzard was working on other titles, but I'm STILL waiting for Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2. They've grown too comfortable in their little nest and they will ride this wave as long as they can. Of course, from a business standpoint, I can't blame them, but at the same time, from a gamer's standpoint, I'd like to see the genre expand into more than just grind games. An MMO type game could have so much more to offer.
Alaris83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Alaris83
Member since 2004 • 1620 Posts
Well I guess I better cancel my cable tv and my internet connection because apparently paying for a service is immoral, unethical, and gosh darn it, just ain't right.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mrbojangles25
[QUOTE="dnuggs40"]

[QUOTE="TheCrazed420"][QUOTE="FlameMe"][QUOTE="TheCrazed420"]Ok, sure Blizzard needs to maintain their servers, I understand that, but guys, what is there, 10 million subscribers now? 10 mil x $15 = $150 000 000 A MONTH! Ok, I'm no economist here, but I seriously doubt it costs that much in maintenance fees per month. Face it, Blizzard should be dropping the price of their subscription, but they won't. Why? Because they have those 10 million subscibers by the cahones.TheCrazed420

I understand it's optional. They aren't forcing anyone to play their game. But we can compare WoW's monopoly of the MMO genre to MS's monopoly with PC OS's. They have gotten such a large chunk of the market that the genre is bleeding to death. Other companies cannot hope to compete with the empire that is Blizzard's game. Blizzard knows this. If there was a true competitor to it's game, the price would drop. And then what would you all say? Oh, I guess the employees took a pay cut, or they got cheaper servers or something. No, they would just be losing a little off the top. I would be less adamant about this if Blizzard was working on other titles, but I'm STILL waiting for Diablo 3 and Starcraft 2. They've grown too comfortable in their little nest and they will ride this wave as long as they can. Of course, from a business standpoint, I can't blame them, but at the same time, from a gamer's standpoint, I'd like to see the genre expand into more than just grind games. An MMO type game could have so much more to offer.

Blizzard was working on The Burning Crusade for the last couple years, and it was just released.  I am sure in a month or two, or even right now, they are working on their next title.

As for the monopoly, I think thats untrue.  The simple fact is that there are tons of MMOs out there, and they all suck!  WoW is successful because it is the most appealing MMO to a wide range of players, from the hardcore to the casual.  As soon as a worthy MMO comes out, I guarentee that people will flock to it in the hundreds of thousands, if not millions.

And 15 dollars is pretty standard rate, even for less successful MMOs.  Auto Assault, 15 dollars.  Everquest 2, 15 dollars....

TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TheCrazed420
But the question remains, will a developer stand to risk millions and millions of dollars to make an MMO of WoW caliber, just to see it fall thru the cracks? Especially if they are actually trying to do something unproven and innovative in the genre? I don't mind the pay-to-play thing, it's just that I would like to see companies like Blizzard give a little back to their community for contributing to their success. It wouldn't be impossible for them to trim a dollar or two off their subscription as a thank you. Is that such a ridiculous thing to think? Probably...
dnuggs40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 dnuggs40
Member since 2003 • 10484 Posts
But the question remains, will a developer stand to risk millions and millions of dollars to make an MMO of WoW caliber, just to see it fall thru the cracks? Especially if they are actually trying to do something unproven and innovative in the genre? I don't mind the pay-to-play thing, it's just that I would like to see companies like Blizzard give a little back to their community for contributing to their success. It wouldn't be impossible for them to trim a dollar or two off their subscription as a thank you. Is that such a ridiculous thing to think? Probably...TheCrazed420
Sure, who wouldn't want Blizzard to trim a few bucks or two from the price. I don't think that really has any bearing on anything though. Now I somehwhat agree, personally I think they deffinetly could offer more content for how well they are doint as a thank you. Personally, I think the expansion is a slap in the face to paying customers. Isn't that what you are paying for? More content? Evolving world? But whatever my personal opinion is, I don't think it is appropriate to say they are ripping people off or gouging it's customers. Obviously many many people believe it is, and therefore pay for it. Afterall, the value of any given item is how much people will pay for it. And for the monopoly thing, they dont have one. in fact, they are not even the most popular MMO right now, Lineage II supposedly has a good 7mil more customers then WoW does (according to their press release, and yes, I know those can be fudged somewhat). Not to mention there are other MMO's out there making money just fine. Also, let's look at the market, the fact there are a bunch of MMO's slated for release tells me that the publishers and developers believe there is plenty of money to be made in the MMO market. I am sure they have a much better understanding of the MMO market then you and me both.
monco59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#32 monco59
Member since 2007 • 2473 Posts
There are tons of PC games that are NOT pay-to-play, just do some research...
Guggu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Guggu
Member since 2004 • 300 Posts
Blizzard will never get monopoly on the MMO-genre. A game isn't the same as an operating system..The game is OPTIONAL, not a must. An operating system, however, is a must. And there are very few options, like Linux over Windows..and they don't appeal that well to the masses.

The true reason to why most MMOG's in the past have sucked is because Blizzard and WoW set new standards on the MMO-genre..

The developers wants cash..so then they see WoW and attempt to do a clone. Low system requirements, ease-of-use and easy gameplay.

Thus far, like all of them have failed. Will be interesting to see if Warhammer pulls it off correctly. Vanguard got screwed up, because Sigil decided to go the WoW-way and changed their vision of the game, and then combined hardcore elements with casual elements, which gave a weird feeling as if you were playing Evercraft. Either you go hardcore-elements all the way or casual elements all the way. Trying to do a WoW-clone combined with both hardcore gameplay and casual = pure failure.

Blizzard did it right. The other developers are simply looking at popular games and attempting to combine their vision with what the crowd might like, which almost never works.

*Sigh* I wish developers would just stop trying to make games based on what the average gamer *might* like, and stick to their visions. If it works, it works. If it doesn't, well, at least it was worth a shot.
Pete5506

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#34 Pete5506
Member since 2006 • 10112 Posts
Well get use to it, the people that made the game have to make money some how
kezsim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 kezsim
Member since 2005 • 40 Posts

:idea:I'm all for free to play PC games, ya know viva la proletariat and all that, but i mean, DO THE MATH:

World of Warcraft over a billion subscribers monthly fee = $$$$$$$$$$$!!!!!

servers aren't cheap, but there not expensive either, even with $1.00 subscription, times a billion subscribers, and they would still be rolling in dough.

A Blizzard,..... OF CASH!!!!!

Narroo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Narroo
Member since 2006 • 2165 Posts
[QUOTE="superzero14"] Every time i find out about a game that looks great and sounds great they make it so that u have to pay to play i would never in my whole entire life pay tp lay a game online like WoW even tho its awesome i still wouldnt care because u should just have to buy it not pay to play i think the people who made the games like that made a huge mistake because if people didnt have to pay to play then more people would play the game because if i wanted to i would have played WoW by now but i found out that u have to pay to play and that ends my message:D
PredatorRules
dude - the company of any MMORPG need to maintain their servers - and that's cost money - fixing bugs, keeping that their servers won't lag - those things cost money - well maybe monthly payment is a bit high but still need to pay , if you don't want to pay monthly for MMORPG just search for private servers - but you've been warned - people don't pay for the servers so it's lagging there

Ha! Your sig is wrong! I use Earthlink, not Verizon.
kx6593

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 kx6593
Member since 2004 • 1598 Posts
I see with no problem charging for an MMO. For exaomple WoW, it costs them a lot of money to keep their servers running so they charge us a monthly fee.
kx6593

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 kx6593
Member since 2004 • 1598 Posts
I see with no problem charging for an MMO. For example WoW, it costs them a lot of money to keep their servers running so they charge us a monthly fee.
BenTheJamin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39 BenTheJamin
Member since 2005 • 927 Posts
get a job
jrhawk42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#40 jrhawk42
Member since 2003 • 12764 Posts
Here's a few gripes I have about the MMO industry.

first you are paying $50 for a game you can't play without paying another $15 per month.  They need to add a free crappy server, drop the price, or have an offline mode.

Most MMO's force you to buy a subscription in the US.  For gamers like me this sucks because I might not feel like playing a certain game all the time.  One week I'll be playing this, and then the next week I'll want to play something else, and then I'll come back to the original game 3 weeks later.  So with an mmo I'm basically just flushing money down the drain.

Last I hate grinding which are many MMO's bread n' butter.  I can't really say this is a bad strategy, but it's not my preference.
nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#42 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
Most PC games are free to play and often cheaper than console counterparts. Steer clear of MMORPG games if you don't want to pay. Remeber they have a fee because they have the content and are designed to be played for many hours.
exds01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 exds01
Member since 2006 • 281 Posts
you pay because they add content and maintain the servers with the money they charge per month.
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 mrbojangles25

you pay because they add content and maintain the servers with the money they charge per month.exds01

Even without the expansion, they did add a whole bunch of content to the game with every other patch.  New dungeons, better balance, more armor sets, more weapons, new talents, new skills, new tradeskill recipes.  I think they are doing something constructive with my money.

t3h_MarK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 t3h_MarK
Member since 2006 • 363 Posts

There's always unofficial & unsupported servers that are free, but have less stuff and lack real support

but hey at least it's free and you can play

njdss4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#46 njdss4
Member since 2003 • 2721 Posts
Every time i find out about a game that looks great and sounds great they make it so that u have to pay to play i would never in my whole entire life pay tp lay a game online like WoW even tho its awesome i still wouldnt care because u should just have to buy it not pay to play i think the people who made the games like that made a huge mistake because if people didnt have to pay to play then more people would play the game because if i wanted to i would have played WoW by now but i found out that u have to pay to play and that ends my message:D
superzero14
If you want the online games to be free then you can't complain if they're not maintained at all. No one is paying them to. But then again you found a way to complain about the most popular MMO of all time so I guess nothing satisfies you.
doomsdaydave11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#47 doomsdaydave11
Member since 2006 • 1159 Posts
Nothing is free in life; not even life itself anymore...
mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 mrbojangles25

Nothing is free in life; not even life itself anymore...doomsdaydave11

Wow doomsdaydave, I am gonna go hang myself now.  Thanks for your positive outlook on life.

jsl99944704

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 jsl99944704
Member since 2005 • 72 Posts

[QUOTE="doomsdaydave11"]Nothing is free in life; not even life itself anymore...mrbojangles25

Wow doomsdaydave, I am gonna go hang myself now. Thanks for your positive outlook on life.

lolz
tekno_monkey12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 tekno_monkey12
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
superzero14
wow you are dumb, Blizzard and other companies like them, charge people to play Massively Multiplayer Games so that they can maintain the servers in which people play. Otherwise, there would be frequent crahses as the employees do not care about you anymore