Origin required to play Battlefield 3

• 135 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 0

#1 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

Read the entire article here.

Who didn't see this coming?

PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 PublicNuisance
Member since 2009 • 4582 Posts

UpInFlames

I'm not mad I have plenty of other games I could buy. I am not uber pumped up for it anyway. I am much more looking forward to deus ex 3 and Hard Reset. I also need to get me the Witcher 2. I'd rather preorder masss effect 3 than buy BF3. In the end it is very low on my list of games to drool over.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#3 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

I'm not mad I have plenty of other games I could buy. I am not uber pumped up for it anyway. I am much more looking forward to deus ex 3 and Hard Reset. I also need to get me the Witcher 2. I'd rather preorder masss effect 3 than buy BF3. In the end it is very low on my list of games to drool over.PublicNuisance

Personally, I don't have anything against Origin in and of itself, I just think that this finally shows without any doubt that EA was using Steam's DLC policy as a convenient excuse to shun Steam and push Origin all the while making Valve out to be the bad guys. Not only was it completely unecessary, but I also very much dislike being treated like some sort of simpleton that can't put 2 and 2 together. The whole tactic is lame and insulting.

PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 PublicNuisance

[QUOTE="PublicNuisance"]I'm not mad I have plenty of other games I could buy. I am not uber pumped up for it anyway. I am much more looking forward to deus ex 3 and Hard Reset. I also need to get me the Witcher 2. I'd rather preorder masss effect 3 than buy BF3. In the end it is very low on my list of games to drool over.UpInFlames

Personally, I don't have anything against Origin in and of itself, I just think that this finally shows without any doubt that EA was using Steam's DLC policy as a convenient excuse to shun Steam and push Origin all the while making Valve out to be the bad guys. Not only was it completely unecessary, but I also very much dislike being treated like some sort of simpleton that can't put 2 and 2 together. The whole tactic is lame and insulting.

Yep but think of all those who couldn't see the truth. They're the majority man, it's a scary world.

deathshand707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 deathshand707
Member since 2007 • 955 Posts

[QUOTE="PublicNuisance"]I'm not mad I have plenty of other games I could buy. I am not uber pumped up for it anyway. I am much more looking forward to deus ex 3 and Hard Reset. I also need to get me the Witcher 2. I'd rather preorder masss effect 3 than buy BF3. In the end it is very low on my list of games to drool over.UpInFlames

Or they just want to use their own software for their own game... it kind of makes sense does it not. Of course the DLC policies come into mind, beccause bf3 is also on other DD sites. Its a marketing strategy, many companies use them, dont hate on origin, theres nothing wrong with it.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 FelipeInside
Member since 2003 • 28548 Posts

I HAVE A QUESTION !!!

Can I use my EA Account from Bad Company 2 for Battlefield 3?

As in do I need to create a new account for Origin or does my EA account pass over?

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

Yeah don't think I will be getting this in less the game is just amazing.. And based what I have seen I am not that impressed.. It just looks like a better graphic game of the same type game we have been seeing for years now.. Modern warfare involving the same story, same environment and same gameplay mechanics.. As for Origin.. I have no problem with download services.. Inless the game is just jaw dropping.. I really justdon't to have mutliple online platforms on my system.. Steam is enough.. If they must do something, make it like battle.net.. A system thats within the game it self.. Instead of something thats outside of the game that I have to keep track of.

deathshand707

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deathshand707
Member since 2007 • 955 Posts

I HAVE A QUESTION !!!

As in do I need to create a new account for Origin or does my EA account pass over?

FelipeInside

yes, I think, thats how it was for me when I was playing the alpha. I think.....keyword. I dont remember.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 FelipeInside

Yeah don't think I will be getting this in less the game is just amazing.. And based what I have seen I am not that impressed.. It just looks like a better graphic game of the same type game we have been seeing for years now.. Modern warfare involving the same story, same environment and same gameplay mechanics.. As for Origin.. I have no problem with download services.. Inless the game is just jaw dropping.. I really justdon't to have mutliple online platforms on my system.. Steam is enough.. If they must do something, make it like battle.net.. A system thats within the game it self.. Instead of something thats outside of the game that I have to keep track of.

sSubZerOo

What more are you expecting? The Soldiers to grow wings and start flying?

PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 PublicNuisance

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

FelipeInside

That would make a great mod lol.....if they thought we were smart enough to mod the frostbite 2 engine :(

heatfanman101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 heatfanman101
Member since 2008 • 2877 Posts

I HAVE A QUESTION !!!

FelipeInside

I'm pretty sure your EA account and Origin account are the same thing

PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PublicNuisance

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

I HAVE A QUESTION !!!

heatfanman101

I'm pretty sure your EA account and Origin account are the same thing

This is correct.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

FelipeInside

IDK make some kind of alterante reality plotline where something extremely unfeasible would happen like World War 3? I would like to see some variance in the setting and plotline.. Its as cliche as the Middle Earth fantasy theme.

danjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 danjammer69
Member since 2004 • 4331 Posts

Yeah, I thought of that Steam debacle as soon as I got into the BF3 alpha and saw origin. That program has had to been in development for months. They didnt just whip it up as a result of Steam. I have no issue with the program itself, but it does seem to be a resource hog. It was loading at startup and making my startup take like 30 seconds longer, which is insane for one application.
Avatar image for spiderman120988
spiderman120988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

#15 spiderman120988
Member since 2005 • 1421 Posts
Don't care, still getting this game. Origin isn't bad, if its hogging resources, disable the Start-up option.
PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PublicNuisance

Can one still buy it from Retail and register on origin ? I don't have a credit card so if I can't buy retail then they lost any chance of my sale.

Avatar image for spiderman120988
spiderman120988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

#17 spiderman120988
Member since 2005 • 1421 Posts

Can one still buy it from Retail and register on origin ? I don't have a credit card so if I can't buy retail then they lost any chance of my sale.

PublicNuisance
I think that's exactly how it works for the retail version, you activate it on Origin just like you do it for a Steam game.
PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 PublicNuisance

[QUOTE="PublicNuisance"]

spiderman120988

I think that's exactly how it works for the retail version, you activate it on Origin just like you do it for a Steam game.

Good to hear. I didn't think EA would ditch retail but I was unsure.

Knuckle_Head40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Knuckle_Head40
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
Non issue for me.
heatfanman101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 heatfanman101
Member since 2008 • 2877 Posts

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

sSubZerOo

IDK make some kind of alterante reality plotline where something extremely unfeasible wouldhappen like World War 3? I would like to see some variance in the setting and plotline.. Its as cliche as the Middle Earth fantasy theme.

Isn't that the plot of Modern Warfare 3 lol?

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

heatfanman101

IDK make some kind of alterante reality plotline where something extremely unfeasible wouldhappen like World War 3? I would like to see some variance in the setting and plotline.. Its as cliche as the Middle Earth fantasy theme.

Hahahah, exactly. MW3 is World War 3...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="heatfanman101"]

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

FelipeInside

Is it? I haven't been paying attention.. My point is I would like to have some kind of fantastical element be a scifi twist or are rewirting of history to put overall change into the setting and make it unpredictable for once..

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="heatfanman101"]

sSubZerOo

Is it? I haven't been paying attention.. My point is I would like to have some kind of fantastical element be a scifi twist or are rewirting of history to put overall change into the setting and make it unpredictable for once..

Ehhh, if you put sci-fi setting then it stops being a military shooter? Even so, games like BlackSite or Half Life are military shooters with SciFi Elements. As for rewriting of history.... I think some games attempted that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-59d151f079814

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"] Hahahah, exactly. MW3 is World War 3...FelipeInside

Ehhh, if you put sci-fi setting then it stops being a military shooter? Even so, games like BlackSite or Half Life are military shooters with SciFi Elements. As for rewriting of history.... I think some games attempted that.

I don't think it has to be anything major in change or difference.. They are just running into the same problems I felt WW2 shooters ran into.. IN that they kind of covered the same things over and over again.

Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Mystic-G
Member since 2006 • 6462 Posts

Well I don't like it, but I can't say I'm surprised. I seen this coming from a mile away. EA clearly set out to force Origin's success. By forcing people to use it they're basically trying to open up the door to be another Steam.

Unfortunately I'm saddened by this, because if Origin is successful, I foresee every other publisher trying to replicate it which will segment the PC ganing market into a mess of uneccessary software programs. One can only hope PC gamers will continue to buy their games from EA by other means other than Origin. If there's one thing I can't stand is when companies force uneccessary things on you just cause you want one product.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
Member since 2008 • 5396 Posts

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

I HAVE A QUESTION !!!

deathshand707

yes, I think, thats how it was for me when I was playing the alpha. I think.....keyword. I dont remember.

Yur EA account is your origin account.

FelipeInside

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 FelipeInside

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"][QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

sSubZerOo

I don't think it has to be anything major in change or difference.. They are just running into the same problems I felt WW2 shooters ran into.. IN that they kind of covered the same things over and over again.

I understand your point. I think MW3 is actually trying to be a bit different on this one... they are reproducing World War 3 after all... fingers crossed.
Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts

UpInFlames

Oh look, the REAL reason why it isn't on Steam! *rolls eyes*

Born_Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Born_Lucky
Member since 2003 • 1730 Posts

[QUOTE="UpInFlames"]

[QUOTE="PublicNuisance"]I'm not mad I have plenty of other games I could buy. I am not uber pumped up for it anyway. I am much more looking forward to deus ex 3 and Hard Reset. I also need to get me the Witcher 2. I'd rather preorder masss effect 3 than buy BF3. In the end it is very low on my list of games to drool over.PublicNuisance

Yep but think of all those who couldn't see the truth. They're the majority man, it's a scary world.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#30 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

[QUOTE="FelipeInside"]

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

sSubZerOo

IDK make some kind of alterante reality plotline where something extremely unfeasible would happen like World War 3? I would like to see some variance in the setting and plotline.. Its as cliche as the Middle Earth fantasy theme.

So like Call of Duty and Homefront?

Playing an FPS for the story is same as watching porn for the story.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Wasdie  Moderator

Everybody keeps saying forcing it, but if you've been following you'll know they have implemented a massive amount of community features into BF3. We are talking friends lists, clans, replays, and so much more. It's not that we are just going to use Origin to start up the game. Origin is going to be used somewhat like Steam is for Steamworks games.

I don't like having to install and run Origin that much either, but it's kind of a big part of the online experiance for BF3. They don't just want a game with a server browser, they really want a community experiance.

guildclaws

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 guildclaws
Member since 2009 • 7921 Posts

I HAVE A QUESTION !!!

FelipeInside
i got an e-mail 5 days ago, it says my EA account is now an Origin account
Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Mystic-G

Everybody keeps saying forcing it, but if you've been following you'll know they have implemented a massive amount of community features into BF3. We are talking friends lists, clans, replays, and so much more. It's not that we are just going to use Origin to start up the game. Origin is going to be used somewhat like Steam is for Steamworks games.

I don't like having to install and run Origin that much either, but it's kind of a big part of the online experiance for BF3. They don't just want a game with a server browser, they really want a community experiance.

Wasdie
Have you ever played World in Conflict?
AgnosticDrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 AgnosticDrop
Member since 2005 • 26 Posts

Well I don't like it, but I can't say I'm surprised. I seen this coming from a mile away. EA clearly set out to force Origin's success. By forcing people to use it they're basically trying to open up the door to be another Steam.

Unfortunately I'm saddened by this, because if Origin is successful, I foresee every other publisher trying to replicate it which will segment the PC ganing market into a mess of uneccessary software programs. One can only hope PC gamers will continue to buy their games from EA by other means other than Origin. If there's one thing I can't stand is when companies force uneccessary things on you just cause you want one product.

Mystic-G

This is exactly my feelings on the matter.

Competing and Forcing are two very different things.

Avatar image for the_ChEeSe_mAn2
the_ChEeSe_mAn2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 the_ChEeSe_mAn2
Member since 2003 • 8463 Posts
No different than COD MW2 or BO forcing Steamworks on you.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Mystic-G

Yes... I beta tested it.

I understand those features are built into WiC but Origin goes even further than that.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

Where's the news/bad news? do people seriously not know how EA games work, retail EA games after all this time...?

mhofever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#38 mhofever
Member since 2008 • 3960 Posts

I want them to have an in-game menu, not the menu where it takes you to the Battlelog website, I mean come on!

psx_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 psx_warrior
Member since 2006 • 1757 Posts
I don't have a problem with it myself. I know I'll be getting the game. Looking forward to seeing how high I can turn the settings before my 4850 begs for mercy.
Avatar image for IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
IxX3xil3d0n3XxI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#40 IxX3xil3d0n3XxI
Member since 2006 • 1508 Posts
Non issue for me. Will still buy BF3 day one. Ive been using Orgin since around ME2 time. Wouldnt be surprised if Activision(other big publisher) did the same thing down the line. People complain about multiple services but I welcome it. With more competition, the customers win.
Avatar image for deactivated-64b76bd048860
deactivated-64b76bd048860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-64b76bd048860
Member since 2007 • 4363 Posts
At this point, I don't care anymore about Origin - I just want my Battlefield 3 :P.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#42 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
lol my computer probably won't be able to play it anyway :(
Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Rage010101
Member since 2006 • 5470 Posts

i lost interest in bf3. i will not be buying it. there are so many better games than it coming out this year and quite frankly im getting sick and tired of FPS games.

Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Mystic-G

[QUOTE="Mystic-G"][QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Wasdie

Yes... I beta tested it.

I understand those features are built into WiC but Origin goes even further than that.

Care to elaborate what BF3 will do that WiC has not?
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DanielDust
DICE is incapable of making a mere functional server browser and you want them to add more community features in the actual game? do you hate BF 3 that much?
brandontwb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 brandontwb
Member since 2008 • 4325 Posts
Unless we don't have to use or see our EA account name, or we are able to name soldiers differently, or we are given the option to change our ea account name, I'm not getting this.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 DanielDust
Unless we don't have to use or see our EA account name, or we are able to name soldiers differently, or we are given the option to change our ea account name, I'm not getting this.brandontwb
No, yes, no, you already knew the answer to these questions if you ever played BC 2 or any EA game in the last 4-6 years.
brandontwb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 brandontwb
Member since 2008 • 4325 Posts
[QUOTE="brandontwb"]Unless we don't have to use or see our EA account name, or we are able to name soldiers differently, or we are given the option to change our ea account name, I'm not getting this.DanielDust
No, yes, no, you already knew the answer to these questions if you ever played BC 2 or any EA game in the last 4-6 years.

I thought that too, until I played Need for Speed Hot Pursuit. Don't think you can change your display name at all.
DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 DanielDust
Of course you can't, you don't have multiple profiles on autolog, you have one persona on all autolog games, you never use your account name, personas aren't the same thing as your account, unless you make one that way, it was about BF and it'll allow you to make multiple soldiers for your account and just like Steam, it's impossible to change your account name, absolutely no reason to implement such a thing ,you see personas not account names.
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
I'll skip it. To be honest, it doesn't look like all that much of an improvement from BFBC2 anyways.