Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Evo_nine
Member since 2012 • 2224 Posts

@Truth_Hurts_U said:

If only it was 4 months sooner... I would have bought it. But they waited to long and now they wont get any more money from me till next year. 35-40% increase over 970 isn't to shabby.

Yeah 35% increase for double the price. GREAT DEAL!

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#52  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17812 Posts
@Evo_nine said:
@Truth_Hurts_U said:

If only it was 4 months sooner... I would have bought it. But they waited to long and now they wont get any more money from me till next year. 35-40% increase over 970 isn't to shabby.

It is more like 40-50% depending on the game.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_980_Ti/1.html

As always, top end products come with diminishing returns. People who buy these products know this. However, if you are doing 4K/60fps or 1440p/144 fps, you need to look at setups like 980 Ti SLI. Not everyone has the same setup and not everyone wants to wait a year for the next Nvidia cards. If people can afford it, what is the problem? The cards can always be sold when Pascal comes out.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@Evo_nine said:
@Truth_Hurts_U said:

For a single card pushing the top-end, it's not bad, and you could get a 55%+ increase with an OC model. That's a lot of extra power if you think about it. If you don't plan to SLI, it's probably not worth it at the moment. It's only for targeting things the GTX 970 can't do.

PernicioEnigma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54 PernicioEnigma
Member since 2010 • 6662 Posts

I would consider getting this if there were more good games that actually push modern PC hardware. Unless you're gaming at really high resolutions I don't think the cost is justifiable.

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#55 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

@Evo_nine: Single GPU > SLI.

Sure the price sucks... But what can you do? There are only 2 main GPU makers. 1 is getting it's butt kicked and the other milks the lead they have.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 horgen  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 127508 Posts

@Coseniath said:
@horgen said:

Yeah.. But as I said, I will wait for 14 orr 16nm GPU to arrive with Pascal... This card is very tempting though.

Thats what I am trying to do. Haha...

ps: If I had your GPU I would wait for Pascal 100%. I could even wait with GTX570 if it was still alive...

You got a GTX 970. Waiting for you should be easy. I'm playing Skyrim atm, modded it a lot. Using 2GB VRAM most of the time I'm playing now. Going to add another mod later that increases the amount of polygons on characters... I'm afraid it will be to much for my card with CTD or low framerate because I'm going over the 2GB limit I got.

Same happens if I add the grass on steroids mod. That also increases RAM usage by 1-2GB :P

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Coseniath
Member since 2004 • 3183 Posts
@horgen said:

You got a GTX 970. Waiting for you should be easy. I'm playing Skyrim atm, modded it a lot. Using 2GB VRAM most of the time I'm playing now. Going to add another mod later that increases the amount of polygons on characters... I'm afraid it will be to much for my card with CTD or low framerate because I'm going over the 2GB limit I got.

Same happens if I add the grass on steroids mod. That also increases RAM usage by 1-2GB :P

I stayed with iGPU of 4770K, HD4600 for 6 months after my GTX570 died. I patiently waited for non-reference Maxwell...

But I wasn't playing heavy modded Skyrim. :P

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#58 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts

:)

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#59 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4400 Posts

@ShadowDeathX said:

:)

If I didn't have kids, I'd have money to feed my upgrade needs.....very nice pair of cards there. Do enjoy!

Avatar image for deactivated-579f651eab962
deactivated-579f651eab962

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 deactivated-579f651eab962
Member since 2003 • 5404 Posts

@neatfeatguy: I have half as many Titans as I have children

@ShadowDeathX: Yaaay, Love that new gpu smell.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By BassMan

@ShadowDeathX: Congrats! Hopefully your third one arrives soon. Gonna be a beast setup.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 ShadowDeathX

@BassMan said:

@ShadowDeathX: Congrats! Hopefully your third one arrives soon. Gonna be a beast setup.

When they stop being sold out...yeah lol

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 horgen  Moderator

@ribstaylor1 said:

Why would any body in their rite mind be buying these? DX12 is literally months away, and the next generation not iteration of cards is about to drop by the end of the year for at least amd and at the latest spring for nvidia. Expensive fucking card to be buying, when such a large leap in performance and efficiency is literally months away.

I think the rumours are Q1 for Pascal cards from nVidia. Possible 9 months from today.

Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#64  Edited By insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts
@horgen said:
@ribstaylor1 said:

Why would any body in their rite mind be buying these? DX12 is literally months away, and the next generation not iteration of cards is about to drop by the end of the year for at least amd and at the latest spring for nvidia. Expensive fucking card to be buying, when such a large leap in performance and efficiency is literally months away.

I think the rumours are Q1 for Pascal cards from nVidia. Possible 9 months from today.

Sounds like it'd be true. Maxwell has already been out for about 8 months.

@KHAndAnime said:
@BassMan said:

@KHAndAnime: I am tempted to upgrade to 980 Ti SLI just because of the performance difference between a 970 and 980 Ti. I would like to be gaming as close to 144 fps as possible in 1440p Ultra with all games. I am probably going to hold out until pascal though. Plus G-sync helps with the lower frame-rates. I never dip below 60 in any game though. If that was happening, I would be upgrading right away. I am such a graphics and frame-rate whore. lol

Even the performance difference between a 125% clocked GTX 980 Ti and my GTX 980 is very enticing (17.4k in Firestrike vs my 11.5k). Having two would be pretty damn future proof. After getting my new monitor, I definitely want as close to 144 FPS as possible too (with ultra settings :p).

Every setup is different so you can't really rely on those benchmarks. You're also getting lower scores because your CPU is so old. But if we're gonna judge games by benchmarks then you really see no increase between 4GB and 6GB of VRAM. It won't even really matter once DX12 comes out.

Look how close my overclocked R9 290's are to GTX 980's: http://www.3dmark.com/fs/4955775

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By ShadowDeathX

@horgen said:
@ribstaylor1 said:

I wouldn't be so optimistic. Hynix has been having yield issues with HBM Gen1 chips. The Radeon Fury cards are rumored to be short supplied when they launch because of it.

The next-gen Nvidia and AMD cards might be held back because of HBM2 yields, especially with the lineup of HBM cards being vastly larger than just Radeon Fury.

So Q1 2015? I would say unlikely. Maybe Middle 2016 or Q3.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 horgen  Moderator

@ShadowDeathX said:
@horgen said:
@ribstaylor1 said:

I wouldn't be so optimistic. Hynix has been having yield issues with HBM Gen1 chips. The Radeon Fury cards are rumored to be short supplied when they launch because of it.

The next-gen Nvidia and AMD cards might be held back because of HBM2 yields, especially with the lineup of HBM cards being vastly larger than just Radeon Fury.

I said Q1 because Samsung's 14nm node was ahead of schedule or so. If Pascal isn't released before Q3... My current card won't last me that long :(

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 ShadowDeathX

@horgen said:
@ShadowDeathX said:
@horgen said:
@ribstaylor1 said:

I said Q1 because Samsung's 14nm node was ahead of schedule or so. If Pascal isn't released before Q3... My current card won't last me that long :(

Ah, I think Nvidia is going with TSMC's 16nm process and AMD is going with Samsung/Global Foundries 14nm. I don't think those will cause any issues. Just that HBM memory.

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 horgen  Moderator

@ShadowDeathX: Damn it... Always something causing problems. Maybe I should just get 980Ti and call it the day... But alas I need a job first.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 BassMan
@horgen said:

@ShadowDeathX: Damn it... Always something causing problems. Maybe I should just get 980Ti and call it the day... But alas I need a job first.

That usually helps. ;)

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 horgen  Moderator

@BassMan said:
@horgen said:

That usually helps. ;)

Yup. Still got 7 weeks left on my old job.... Well 7 weeks left with being paid at least.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 ShadowDeathX

So I think I underestimated these cards and might actually not need a third one.

1500+ Mhz Core Clock. :)

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By KHAndAnime

So, to help fuel my 1440P experience, I decided I'm selling my GTX 980 and getting a 980 Ti (and another one a few months down the road). What is the best looking 980 Ti card to be coming out? I've seen some AIO hyrbid (water+air cooled) ones, a sweet looking Zotac one, MSI's, Gigabyte's offerings, etc.

I assume it might not be out yet, so how long would the wait be for these better cooled cards to hit the market?

horgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 horgen  Moderator

@ShadowDeathX said:

So I think I underestimated these cards and might actually not need a third one.

holy ****

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 KHAndAnime

@ShadowDeathX said:

If that's just on the reference cooler, then some of the non-reference iterations should be slaying in the benchmarks.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 ShadowDeathX

@KHAndAnime said:
@ShadowDeathX said:

If that's just on the reference cooler, then some of the non-reference iterations should be slaying in the benchmarks.

No. Underwater.

Reference causes a lot of throttling since it can't handle the heat. Starts getting artifacts at 88 - 90 C.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 KHAndAnime

@ShadowDeathX said:
@KHAndAnime said:
@ShadowDeathX said:

No. Underwater.

Reference causes a lot of throttling since it can't handle the heat. Starts getting artifacts at 88 - 90 C.

I figured that would be the case. My GTX 980 throttles a bit and gets hot (not 88-90 hot though). :P

I put my GTX 980 on Craigslist to see if I could get any offers, put my # and said to text me if interested, and some dude called my phone # a bunch of times early this morning trying to get it. Really, I just hope they roll out their enhanced coolers sooner than later, I want my card in time for Arkham Knight. :)

Avatar image for GiveMeSomething
GiveMeSomething

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 GiveMeSomething
Member since 2007 • 1323 Posts

@kitty: omg you are the best mod ever, your name is the cutest. I would follow you if I knew how, /Kappa

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Coseniath
@KHAndAnime said:
@ShadowDeathX said:

Winte Lightning is coming! :P

From Guru3D:

The MSI GTX 980 Ti Lightning edition. This is the most common question, will there be a lightning edition ? Yes, there will be. Unfortunately I cannot share details, but within the time-frame of say two months there will be a MSI GTX 980 Ti Lightning edition, currently MSI is working on design & features, followed by implementation. So if you want something really serious, you've gotta be patient a bit for that one. Don't pin me on the time-frame though, it is an indication !

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 KHAndAnime

@Coseniath said:
@KHAndAnime said:
@ShadowDeathX said:

Winte Lightning is coming! :P

From Guru3D:

The MSI GTX 980 Ti Lightning edition. This is the most common question, will there be a lightning edition ? Yes, there will be. Unfortunately I cannot share details, but within the time-frame of say two months there will be a MSI GTX 980 Ti Lightning edition, currently MSI is working on design & features, followed by implementation. So if you want something really serious, you've gotta be patient a bit for that one. Don't pin me on the time-frame though, it is an indication !

I don't know if this is something I want to wait a couple months for. I was hoping to snag one by the time Arkham Knight came out. :P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 deactivated-579f651eab962

@ShadowDeathX: Still waiting on your bench results

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 ShadowDeathX

@klunt_bumskrint said:

@ShadowDeathX: Still waiting on your bench results

Will post after work and after I flush out my WC system.

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

@PredatorRules said:

I don't get it, you could buy 2x 290s for 500$ and get better performance, why paying 650$ and get lower performance?

I know the advantages of single card vs SLI/Crossfire, I do know you'll need bigger PSU capacity and proper mid case with 5 fans - let's assume you have all of these already, I just don't see a reason to buy 980Ti.

Heat output, power usage, and more importantly a lot of microstutter, and each card adds 1 additional frame of input lag. So if you run quad sli or crossfire you will be 4 frames behind.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#83 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23832 Posts

AMD has been pushing the 300w gpu power limit for too long, they need to refocus their gpu's efficiency.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Coseniath

Holy...

I just read this review and I can say that probably all factory o/ced GTX980Ti will be beasts...

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming SOC Review

Just a pic from the review:

Just 2FPS behind GTX980 SLI...

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5557 Posts

Any ideas if something like this ever restocks?? It is literally sold out everywhere online.

Do GPUs restock.. or do I have to wait for the next line of models.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 BassMan

@enzyme36 said:

Any ideas if something like this ever restocks?? It is literally sold out everywhere online.

Do GPUs restock.. or do I have to wait for the next line of models.

Of course they restock them. They want to sell as many as possible.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 BassMan
@Coseniath said:

Holy...

I just read this review and I can say that probably all factory o/ced GTX980Ti will be beasts...

How about vs. 980 SLI that are actually OC? I never liked how sites pimp the performance of an OC card vs. stock card. When the 970 came out... You can OC a 970 to 980 performance! It is all irrelevant as I can OC that 980 too and still maintain a performance gap. I think when comparing OC cards, all cards in the benchmarks should be OC as well. Those are the true results.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Coseniath
@BassMan said:

How about vs. 980 SLI that are actually OC? I never liked how sites pimp the performance of an OC card vs. stock card. When the 970 came out... You can OC a 970 to 980 performance! It is all irrelevant as I can OC that 980 too and still maintain a performance gap. I think when comparing OC cards, all cards in the benchmarks should be OC as well. Those are the true results.

This is just the default clock from Gigabyte.

The reviewer o/ced to higher lvls:

Original This sample (Gaming / OC mode)Overclocked
Core Clock: 1002 MHzCore Clock: 1152 / 1241 MHzCore Clock 1302 MHz
Boost Clock: 1076 MHzBoost Clock: 1241 / 1291 MHzBoost Clock: 1452~1477MHz
Memory Clock: 7012 MHzMemory Clock: 7012 MHzMemory Clock: 7818 MHz

Yes correct - the reference GTX 980 Ti did 15656 points in this test, pretty crazy huh ? ;)

Unless you are talking about comparing it against Gigabyte G1 GTX980...

Even then, the SLI scaling would limit the result...

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By BassMan

@Coseniath: It is more just a rant and not specific to that review. I just want fair and honest comparisons. I want to see OC results (in addition to stock) for all cards in benchmarks. That way the buyer knows where that card truly stands compared to other cards.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By Coseniath
@BassMan said:

@Coseniath: It is more just a rant and not specific to that review. I just want fair and honest comparisons. I want to see OC results (in addition to stock) for all cards in benchmarks. That way the buyer knows where that card truly stands compared to other cards.

I agree and I would love to see them too.

But as I said SLI would limit the result (you would have to set both cards to max oc of the lowest GPU oc and also the performance scaling wouldn't be linear...). And the final picture wouldn't change...

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#91 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

Pretty nuts Witcher 3 eats GPU's.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By KHAndAnime

@Coseniath said:

Holy...

Considering my current EVGA GTX 980 doesn't OC too well, seems like picking up one of these Gigabyte cards is a no-brainer.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 deactivated-579f651eab962

@Coseniath said:

Holy...

I'm guessing that's a stock 1000MHz Titan X....

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By Coseniath
@klunt_bumskrint said:

I'm guessing that's a stock 1000MHz Titan X....

Yeah. They are all stock clocked. There is even a stock clocked GTX980ti aswell.

The Gigabyte G1 is the only GPU in the chart with factory OC.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 deactivated-579f651eab962

So a 980 Ti gets DOUBLE fps than a original Titan in W3....?

Bench is jank

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By ShadowDeathX
  1. Bought Dying Light.
  2. Boot it Up.
  3. Played for 5 minutes.
  4. PC Crashes.
  5. Restarts. Endless Loops of Blue Screens.
  6. GTX 980 Ti Dead. The 2nd One.

LOVELY..... and they weren't even heavily clocked too. I was willing to forgive the driver issues I was getting, but =( wth...

I must have some bad juju from the beginning. First time I booted the PC with the Nvidia cards it gave me a Blue Screen.

Anyone know Nvidia's RMA process and turn around time. This is lame.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

@ShadowDeathX said:
  1. Bought Dying Light.
  2. Boot it Up.
  3. Played for 5 minutes.
  4. PC Crashes.

LOVELY..... and they weren't even heavily clocked too. I was willing to forgive the driver issues I was getting, but =( wth...

I must have some bad juju from the beginning. First time I booted the PC with the Nvidia cards it gave me a Blue Screen.

Depends on which company you purchased the 980ti from.

Usually it's around a week or two between shipping the card back and having them ship it back to you.

RyviusARC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 RyviusARC
Member since 2011 • 5708 Posts

@Truth_Hurts_U said:

Pretty nuts Witcher 3 eats GPU's.

I am going to have to call BS on that 970 sli reading.

I have my game running at far beyond ultra and even then my average fps at 1440p is above 44.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 ShadowDeathX

@RyviusARC said:
@ShadowDeathX said:
  1. Bought Dying Light.
  2. Boot it Up.
  3. Played for 5 minutes.
  4. PC Crashes.

Depends on which company you purchased the 980ti from.

Usually it's around a week or two between shipping the card back and having them ship it back to you.

Bought it from Nvidia directly.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 ShadowDeathX

3 to 4 days turn around time. Nvidia is paying for all the shipping costs.