This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for silentassasin05
silentassasin05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 silentassasin05
Member since 2004 • 658 Posts

Hey, am looking to buy a netbook. They are reasonably cheap. Just wanting one to do some writting on and what not. And they are capable of running dosbos. So that solves playing games. Got my main PC which can handle todays games. Just after something to use in me room and stuff.

Was just wondering if anyone could offer some ideas and help.

Thanks.

Gamerkat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 Gamerkat
Member since 2008 • 1693 Posts

The best netbook is the Msi wind, get it with a 6 cell battery and the 2gb ram option if you can. I just got one about 3 weeks ago, I was in Egypt recently on tourism, it was amazing in the conditions. The internet adapter worked when it was 100f outside, and the antenna was at least 300 yards away (they werent using standard routers)

The camera is great, the microphone is also very good, the monitor is crystal clear, the keyboard is responsive

silentassasin05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 silentassasin05
Thanks for the quick reply. I will look into it now :). The price is a major factor for me.
Gamerkat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Gamerkat

The MSI wind is at a good price, just make sure you get it with the 6 cell battery. Also, get the 2gb version.

silentassasin05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 silentassasin05
You say its the best. What makes is so much better compared to others you find? good battery life?
jimmyjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 jimmyjammer69
Member since 2008 • 12239 Posts
I don't think there's really too much in it. As the poster above mentioned, the MSI Wind is sturdy and sells for a competitive price. To be honest, though, the majority of non-gaming netbooks are built to the same hardware specifications, incorporating an Atom N270 processor, 1-2gb of RAM (1gb is sufficient for everyday activities), an Intel GMA 950 chipset (fine for very basic 3d gaming and 2d graphics), and often come with a choice of solid state or mechanical hard drive (this basically boils down to a choice between slightly extended battery life and lower weight against space, respectively). Seeing as most netbooks are near identical, you only have to worry about the trade-off between weight, screen size, hard disk space and battery life. Personally, I chose to go with a pretty much unknown make, saving myself a lot of money. I'm perfectly happy I chose the cheapest option with mechanical hard drive, and the only options I would really recommend is to ensure you have XP pre-installed and that you go for the 6 cell battery.
Gamerkat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Gamerkat

The construction of the machine itself is very good compared to the Acers and Asus that i've seen. Also, I can get about 4 hours out of the 6 cell battery when im browsing the internet. Maybe a little less if im listening to music at the same time. There is nothing wrong with it so far, and according to Pc shopper magazine, this is the best rated netbook so far. Of course mine isnt from the U.S, I have a Hungarian version with a Hungarian keyboard, but its the same machine.

silentassasin05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 silentassasin05
I'll look into it. Looked at the MSI Wind and it says 699$ AUD. A bit hight. But i will have a look around. Thanks.
erikgergal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 erikgergal
Member since 2006 • 902 Posts

try and find this model of the wond. it comes with a 9-cell battery. wont let me link it for some reason

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=39575&vpn=U100M-BN271610HW09L&manufacture=MSI%2FMicroStar

silentassasin05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 silentassasin05

try and find this model of the wond. it comes with a 9-cell battery. wont let me link it for some reason

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=39575&vpn=U100M-BN271610HW09L&manufacture=MSI%2FMicroStar

erikgergal
Looks rather good. 9 cell battery. First i have heard of that. How much of a difference would that make? And whats the main differences between that model and others?
erikgergal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 erikgergal
Member since 2006 • 902 Posts

well on their website it doesnt give the most detail but their standard battery gives 6 hours battery life so i would assume the 9-cell would give close to 10 hours at least.

xXDrPainXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 xXDrPainXx
Member since 2008 • 4001 Posts
I have both a Dell Mini 9 and a Asus EEE PC 701 and can say the Mini 9 is a great machine with a lot of options. I was able to get mine for about 350 bucks with a 1.6GHz processorc 2GB RAM and a 32GB SSD. It also has the option of running Mac OSX if you are into tweaking and modifying systems to do things the manufacture didn't want to be done.
Gamerkat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Gamerkat

The 9 cell version should get you about 6 hours. Again, the differences come in terms of quality and user ability. There is no definite netbook that you need to buy, its up to you whether you want a good Msi quality netbook, or lets say an Hp quality netbook. The msi wind got a score of 8.7 in the Pc shopper magazine, which is over .5 more than the Asus did.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#14 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
They're all basically the same - it just comes down to how you like the appearance, the battery life, and how much you want to pay. The latter is probably the biggest one, since the price of many netbooks creeps over budget laptops which is ridiculous given their limited use. It's something most of the manufacturers have forgotten about. Especially Asus - and they started making the bloody things.
starwa1ker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 starwa1ker
Member since 2009 • 213 Posts
I would recommend the one I have - Samsung NC-10, battery life is around 6 hours and it has a near full size keyboard. It doesn't use SSD, so there's a 120gb hard drive. The only con I see for mine is that its a little on the thick side and the trackpad is a little small.
silentassasin05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 silentassasin05
Thanks heaps all. Some good help here. Am liking the sound of 9 cell. And one thats around 350$. That sounds like it would suit me fine. Except the SSD. Prefer a HDD. But all these opinions have been a great help.