Most Overated PC Game

• 103 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#51 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

Bioshock is a great game.....it deserves all its praise IMO

Personally I think The Longest Journeywould be my pick, but perhaps point-and-click adventures are just not my thing.

Still, it has some of the most ridiculous unintuitive puzzles ever, including one early on involving I believe a rubber duck or something.

fivex84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 fivex84
Member since 2006 • 1216 Posts

World of Warcraft

jwsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#53 jwsoul
Member since 2005 • 5468 Posts

Counterstrike Source. The zombie mod was the only thing i played that game for.

Pdiddy105
Gotta agree. Worst thing is all the players who think Counter Strike is a simulation of real guns and how they perform....
jwsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#54 jwsoul
Member since 2005 • 5468 Posts

[QUOTE="duxter1"]

Starcraft and CSS

Edit: All Blizzard games

Ondoval

Sure? I had the feeling that until World Of Warcraft the press was underrating the Blizzard games, since the scores from Starcraft, Warcraft II, Diablo II and Warcraft II were lower than 90 in a lot of magazines and sites. But, ironically, Starcraft, Diablo II and Warcraft III are still in the top 25 of most played online games, even 10 years after the shipment.

Yeah thats not a good thing mate. People are not bothering with new games just sticking to the old = less games for us.
ironman388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 ironman388
Member since 2006 • 1454 Posts

DoW series

Sims series (such a boring series of games IMO)

wigan_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 wigan_gamer
Member since 2008 • 3293 Posts
WoW.
Avatar image for deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
deactivated-64ba3ebd35404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#57 deactivated-64ba3ebd35404
Member since 2004 • 7590 Posts

Bioshock. Sure, it had a great atmosphere. But the rest of the game was mediocre at best.

The CoD games, ALL of them. But especially the last 3.

Fallout 3, it was a good game, I'll never deny that, but it just didn't live up to the legacy of the first two games.

C&C:Red Alert 3. It was an alright game, but a large step down from C&C3. The game became too focused on finding out your opponent's units then spamming the hell out of whatever countered those. Rather than C&C3's large focus on map control and strategy.

Dawn Of War 2. Do I really need to explain this one? It was too simplistic and repetitive. Its saving graces are The Last Stand mode which was added in after launch, and the multiplayer. Both of which suffer from terrible netcode and thus lots of lag.

Mike0698

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Mike0698
Member since 2007 • 137 Posts

[QUOTE="DanielDust"]

I don't think anyone ever said that CoD 4 was groundbreaking...just fun which all of you admitted. 5 wasn't good at all and MW 2 is pretty decent but far from overrated, it scored 86/100, that's about right.

Overrated games:

HL 2, good game but let's be serious 96...

Bioshock, again 96, this is not a 96 game, more like 85 or so.

Oblivion, 94, without mods I wouldn't rate it higher than 55, with mods, no more than 75.

BLUBBBER

I disagree with every one of your points. Those are my top favourite games, and they deserve above 90 (except Oblivion without mods) because of their innovation and creativity. HL2 allowed you to have a real connection and care for the characters, Bioshock had a really good setting, and Oblivion has so many mods the possibilities are endless. Though you're kind of right about Oblivion without mods, it sucked

I don't know whats wrong with you guys, I didn't like bioshock I enjoyed it for a bit, but just a bit to freaky for my taste, however oblivion without mods is still a very very very good game. Hours of play w/o expansion or mods, hell of a lot of lute, Adding on the expansion just gives you a hell of more hours and then mods are just spectatular. When it comes to RPGs, oblivion is the most open world game ive ever seen, since you can talk and steel most anything, hell its even more open worlded then any GTA ive played. and HL2 is pretty beast too, a 96 is a good score.

NoctisCaelum52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#59 NoctisCaelum52
Member since 2009 • 1359 Posts
WoW.wigan_gamer
I second THIS !!
DieselCat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#60 DieselCat18
Member since 2002 • 3006 Posts

[QUOTE="DieselCat18"]

DoW II

CoH

WiC

Stalker

*+

with_teeth26

*Gasp* I have a new Nemesis! Three of those games are on my top ten list!

Just out of interest, what RTS's do you consider to be good? CoH and WiC are two of the best to have come out in the last 5 or so years!

Hands down ....Supreme Commander, Warhammer 40K Dow and also include Homeworld.....CoH and WiC have no strategy...just tactics which IMO takes a lot away, not making them true strategy games....

*+

ghost117007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 ghost117007
Member since 2008 • 145 Posts

cod2 was the best one

jpph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 jpph
Member since 2005 • 3337 Posts

I don't think anyone ever said that CoD 4 was groundbreaking...just fun which all of you admitted. 5 wasn't good at all and MW 2 is pretty decent but far from overrated, it scored 86/100, that's about right.

Overrated games:

Bioshock, again 96, this is not a 96 game, more like 85 or so.

Oblivion, 94, without mods I wouldn't rate it higher than 55, with mods, no more than 75.

DanielDust

yeah, id agree with this. loved hl2 and bioshock, but (PCZ) 97 and 96? nope. sorry.

and i tried oblivion long enough to se it it was 95. it wasnt

jpph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 jpph
Member since 2005 • 3337 Posts

most overated (by a good 20%) for me is without a doubt halo and the original farcry.

farcry had graphics. what else? featureless open world? check. utter **** story? check. cliched characters? check. ai that can see through anything? check. to be fair, it had great sniping tho

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#64 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

most overated (by a good 20%) for me is without a doubt halo and the original farcry.

farcry had graphics. what else? featureless open world? check. utter **** story? check. cliched characters? check. ai that can see through anything? check. to be fair, it had great sniping tho

jpph

talk about extremes.....

I completely agree with you about Halo, but

I completely disagree with you about FarCry, great game and better than Crysis. In fact, hmmmmm, Crysis is overrated come to think of it.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#65 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23285 Posts

Dragon Age: Origins.. (no, seriously)

I only played it for about 1 hour and exchanged it with left 4 dead 2.

MugiwaraNo
HEATHEN BEGONE! :P Seriously,to me Warcraft 3,WoW,Oblivion,Mass effect and CoD4.
Avatar image for mechwarrior_bob
mechwarrior_bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#66 mechwarrior_bob
Member since 2006 • 1789 Posts

• Empire Total War
  • Dawn of War 1

pvtdonut54

?!?!??!?!?!?!?!??!??!?!?!??!!?

Dawn of War was HUGE no more turtling! Great action, animations, sounds, characters.

Empire Total War is great too the pinnacle of the Total War franchise.

Most overrated game for me...uhhhh....I'm not sure I like pretty much all my games...only thing I can't really stand is ARMA 2 but it wasn't rated that highly n e way.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts

HL2 allowed you to have a real connection and care for the characters, Bioshock had a really good settingBLUBBBER

HL 2: Did no such thing for me, I only thought it's good because of the gameplay, story wasn't that interesting for me at least.

Bioshock: I agree, reason it deserves around 85, because of the art style and pretty good gameplay, but it isn't anything spectacular. The setting was so good even the demo impressed me, problem is, after I got the demo it's been death boring (the full game), even the first levels that were also in the demo were pretty average and monotonous after I played them once.

About Oblivion, all I can say is that mods don't make a game's rating, it could be the best game in the world with superb mods, but it still wouldn't deserve a great score because the base game gets a rating, not the game with mods.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#68 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11513 Posts

Hands down ....Supreme Commander, Warhammer 40K Dow and also include Homeworld.....CoH and WiC have no strategy...just tactics which IMO takes a lot away, not making them true strategy games....

*+

DieselCat18

Fair enough, i like my tactics, although i guess all of those games are pretty micromanagement heavy, which isn't for everyone. I agree that Warhammer 40K Dow is excellent though, havent played supreme commander although i'm sure i would like it.

CellAnimation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 CellAnimation
Member since 2007 • 6116 Posts
Half-Life 2 - I'm not sure what is meant to be so great about it, but whatever it is I just don't get it.
DieselCat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 DieselCat18
Member since 2002 • 3006 Posts

[QUOTE="DieselCat18"]

*+

with_teeth26

Fair enough, i like my tactics, although i guess all of those games are pretty micromanagement heavy, which isn't for everyone. I agree that Warhammer 40K Dow is excellent though, havent played supreme commander although i'm sure i would like it.

Hey...it's all good...everyone's opinion's may differ with how similar things are looked at.... With the games I mentioned I felt were over-rated, I just didn't get that same WOW factor that many other did....just my take on that....

*+

Shazard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#72 Shazard
Member since 2006 • 80 Posts

Starcraft is another overrated one.

Crysis and Farcry are the best FPS's of all time!!!

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Arach666

Shazard
Although I respect your opinion,I would like to know why do you think Starcraft is overrated.
dont-read-this

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 dont-read-this
Member since 2009 • 825 Posts
Every Valve game except HL1 & TF2.
Dark_prince123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#75 Dark_prince123
Member since 2008 • 1149 Posts
All games are overrated !!
Shazard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Shazard
Member since 2006 • 80 Posts

[QUOTE="Shazard"]

Arach666

Although I respect your opinion,I would like to know why do you think Starcraft is overrated.

I know that Starcraft (1) still has a fairly large fan base and apparently they still play it professionally in Korea. However after playing it for myself it is clear that the game cannot match up to today's standards. It was probably amazing when it first came out but I simply cannot enjoy it. Warcraft 3, on the other hand, was an epic creation by Blizzard

Avatar image for eh7nkjn4bFFF9nw
eh7nkjn4bFFF9nw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 eh7nkjn4bFFF9nw
Member since 2005 • 353 Posts
Oh give me a break people. DoW was pretty frickin amazing back in the day. It's just that it hasn't aged very well. The detail put into the units was mind-boggling at the time.
F1_2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 F1_2004
Member since 2003 • 8009 Posts
Every Valve game except HL1 & TF2.dont-read-this
QFT. Good games for sure, but way over-hyped.
Erratic_Knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 Erratic_Knight
Member since 2003 • 167 Posts

Dragon Age

World of Warcraft

Half-Life 2

Call of Duty 4 - Present

yobaby2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 yobaby2009
Member since 2009 • 369 Posts

dragon age origins

9.5 oh my god

eawadbr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 eawadbr
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

[QUOTE="fudgeblood"]Call of Duty 4, 5 or 6.BeErBOnG29
B I N G O

BINGO INDEED

al-fatahy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 al-fatahy
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

assasin creed is too monoton i guess..its quite really an a** for such gameplay

Aizen_Fangirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Aizen_Fangirl
I would have to say World of Warcraft. It's alright, but nothing special. All of my friends freaked out about it worse than preppy girls at a shoe sale -.- That and Runescape. Okay games to kill some time, but not the best. That's just my opinion, though, so feel free to think whatever you want.
Darksonic666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#85 Darksonic666
Member since 2009 • 3482 Posts
Elder scrolls 3 morrowind it is really boring and hardly enjoyable at all which is weird because I really like elder scrolls 4 oblivion
Tuzolord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#86 Tuzolord
Member since 2007 • 1409 Posts

The Sims

nikola96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#87 nikola96
Member since 2008 • 836 Posts

Warcraft 3 and Call of duty 5

-Origin-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 -Origin-
Member since 2007 • 1816 Posts

disagree about bioshock

totally agree about COD

Lemonio

yeah same, bioshock was original as hell and cod, it's fun however it's overrated for sure.

-Origin-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 -Origin-
Member since 2007 • 1816 Posts

Elder scrolls 3 morrowind it is really boring and hardly enjoyable at all which is weird because I really like elder scrolls 4 oblivionDarksonic666

maybe it's because you don't like reading. The dialogue in morrowind was all text whereas oblivion was done by voice actors.

Avatar image for i_saw_a_mudcrab
i_saw_a_mudcrab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 i_saw_a_mudcrab
Member since 2007 • 1015 Posts

Oblivion.

Also most games above with ratings above 9(0) are overrated.

Blind0bj3ct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 Blind0bj3ct
Member since 2008 • 534 Posts

[QUOTE="DieselCat18"]

DoW II

CoH

WiC

Stalker

*+

with_teeth26

*Gasp* I have a new Nemesis! Three of those games are on my top ten list!

Just out of interest, what RTS's do you consider to be good? CoH and WiC are two of the best to have come out in the last 5 or so years!

STALKER is underrated if anything.
ZuljinRaynor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 ZuljinRaynor
Member since 2005 • 1310 Posts

Deus Ex

I would list reasons but Deus Ex Fanboys wouldn't care.

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 Arach666

Deus Ex

I would list reasons but Deus Ex Fanboys wouldn't care.

ZuljinRaynor

Let´s hear it.

Trinners

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Trinners
Member since 2009 • 2537 Posts

Half-Life 2

ZuljinRaynor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 ZuljinRaynor
Member since 2005 • 1310 Posts

I didn't find the game to be as engaging and didn't find it so strike a good mix of complexity and flow. System Shock 2, while not in my opinion the best FPS/RPG (that would be VTMB) only was really clunky with the interface for handling inventory (and of course the crappy weapon degredation). But besides that, I found the action and atmosphere in System Shock 2 to be more engaging that Deus Ex. So you already have Deus Ex starting off as a handicap. Now I will admit I didn't play Deus Ex when it came out. I didn't play System Shock 2 either, or VTMB. In the last 3-5 years or so I've played these three in this order: System Shock 2, VTMB, DX. Hype is a big killer for me, and the two games which have ever met my expectations and exceeded them from hype have been X-Com UFO Defense (which I wouldn't say is overrated but probably is cause I'm a huge fan of it, and as many other X-Com fans will say it's the best game ever to which I would agree but we're not unbiased, but I can't find any TBT/TRPG that matches X-Com in an overall package) and Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines.

When I played Bloodlines, people told me "it's Deus Ex with Vampires," "it's awesome," "FIRE AX!!!!" "Malkavian is so funny!" "John DiMaggio man! John DiMaggio!" so I had pretty high expectations. This is before playing Deus Ex also. So seriously, I freaking loved that game. Everything about it, even the crappy shooting mechanics and all the bugs that were left cause Activision made them rush the game. It remains the only game, besides Spear of Destiny and Doom 2, that I've beat more than 8 times.

So I eventually came to play Deus Ex. It had to be better than VTMB from everything people were saying, but I couldn't get into it. Even when I did, the story was rather poorly told and I had no idea why I was doing some things anymore. Not to mention the game hasn't aged well, but that shouldn't stop me since I fell in love with X-Com in 2007 after all. Also I love Diablo and that's an oldie but the voice acting is top notch. I didn't find any of that in Deus Ex. I found it really unattractive to look at and to play. It was clunkier than System Shock 2.

Now you can say that oh games built off of Deus Ex and improved it, but Deus Ex is still the best... but I can't see that. If a game is really good it will stand the test of time and quite frankly I couldn't find Deus Ex to stand it. Oh also if you want to hate me some more, I rather like the sequel.

tl;dr I played VTMB and System Shock 2 before Deus Ex so I didn't find Deus Ex to be that great.

tl;dr for fanboys edition: hurr i sux @ deus ex so liek h8 me; i also like invisible war

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#96 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts
Borderlands, Resident Evil 5
Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Arach666

I didn't find the game to be as engaging and didn't find it so strike a good mix of complexity and flow. System Shock 2, while not in my opinion the best FPS/RPG (that would be VTMB) only was really clunky with the interface for handling inventory (and of course the crappy weapon degredation). But besides that, I found the action and atmosphere in System Shock 2 to be more engaging that Deus Ex. So you already have Deus Ex starting off as a handicap. Now I will admit I didn't play Deus Ex when it came out. I didn't play System Shock 2 either, or VTMB. In the last 3-5 years or so I've played these three in this order: System Shock 2, VTMB, DX. Hype is a big killer for me, and the two games which have ever met my expectations and exceeded them from hype have been X-Com UFO Defense (which I wouldn't say is overrated but probably is cause I'm a huge fan of it, and as many other X-Com fans will say it's the best game ever to which I would agree but we're not unbiased, but I can't find any TBT/TRPG that matches X-Com in an overall package) and Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines.

When I played Bloodlines, people told me "it's Deus Ex with Vampires," "it's awesome," "FIRE AX!!!!" "Malkavian is so funny!" "John DiMaggio man! John DiMaggio!" so I had pretty high expectations. This is before playing Deus Ex also. So seriously, I freaking loved that game. Everything about it, even the crappy shooting mechanics and all the bugs that were left cause Activision made them rush the game. It remains the only game, besides Spear of Destiny and Doom 2, that I've beat more than 8 times.

So I eventually came to play Deus Ex. It had to be better than VTMB from everything people were saying, but I couldn't get into it. Even when I did, the story was rather poorly told and I had no idea why I was doing some things anymore. Not to mention the game hasn't aged well, but that shouldn't stop me since I fell in love with X-Com in 2007 after all. Also I love Diablo and that's an oldie but the voice acting is top notch. I didn't find any of that in Deus Ex. I found it really unattractive to look at and to play. It was clunkier than System Shock 2.

Now you can say that oh games built off of Deus Ex and improved it, but Deus Ex is still the best... but I can't see that. If a game is really good it will stand the test of time and quite frankly I couldn't find Deus Ex to stand it. Oh also if you want to hate me some more, I rather like the sequel.

tl;dr I played VTMB and System Shock 2 before Deus Ex so I didn't find Deus Ex to be that great.

tl;dr for fanboys edition: hurr i sux @ deus ex so liek h8 me; i also like invisible war

ZuljinRaynor

Ok.....let´s see: Well,first of all let me congratulate you for playing great games(X-com,VTMB,Doom 2,SS2 and of course,Deus ex).

As you migth expect,I don´t really agree with you,but you have your opinion(wich is more than I can say regarding some people),and since it´s only your opinion it´s obviously acceptable.You don´t like Deus ex; I do.

Regarding the atmosphere of the game,I can say that the game made me feel like I was really an UNATCO agent.There was the HQ in wich you had your own office,agents in there that seemed to know you well and acknowledge your skills as well as being reactive to your own actions(like when you stroll into the ladies room and a woman there complains about it,and later on in a mission briefing,your boss actually mentions that situation to you and says that that´s not the proper behaviour for an UNATCO agent) while thus adding the feel that you were actually working there and that people cared.

I agree that Deus ex,from a technical standpoint,wasn´t as good as some games were when it came out.But it has aged very well in my opinion.

Much to your surprise maybe,I don´t think DX IW was a bad game. It simply wasn´t worthy of the Deus ex name.

What it was was a failed attempt to sell more copies through consolization.Graphics and physics aside,it was quite inferior to the original in every possible way.

And since I´m on a tight schedule right now(we may continue this later,if you wish)I will finish this post saying that DX is probably the best videogame I´ve ever played,but I´m not a blind fanboy and I see that the game has it´s flaws(all games do),but the experience that it gave me was so good that I feel that it was the one that came closer to perfection.And since I´ve been gaming for over 25 years now,that´s no easy feat.

So,let´s agree to disagree,ok?

Cheers.

yobaby2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 yobaby2009
Member since 2009 • 369 Posts

[QUOTE="BeErBOnG29"][QUOTE="fudgeblood"]Call of Duty 4, 5 or 6.eawadbr

B I N G O

BINGO INDEED

lol

are u guys playing bingo?

PerryTGF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 PerryTGF

I would have to say World of Warcraft. It's alright, but nothing special. All of my friends freaked out about it worse than preppy girls at a shoe sale -.- That and Runescape. Okay games to kill some time, but not the best. That's just my opinion, though, so feel free to think whatever you want. Aizen_Fangirl

Although I'm a huge RPG-fan and I really enjoyed playing WoW,I think you're right.

People were always telling how WoW is so much betterthen other RPG's,

but I don't think that's true.

There are some extrafeatureslike your professions wich I really enjoyed,

but the battles are very repetative and the story doesn´t seem to come through.

I must admit that I only played it for a view days and I definetly will give it another shot,

but I expected a lot more after everyone was it like it was the digitalequivalent of

Tolkiens´s Lord of the Rings.

I thinks it's time for a Next-Gen MMO, can't wait for Final Fantasy XIV!

the_mitch28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 the_mitch28
Member since 2005 • 4684 Posts

DanielDust

96 is underrated, when it first came out it was jaw droppingly good... its graphics and physics were incredible. The Crysis of its day only with a good story/gameplay.

Which brings me to my vote:

Crysis. It has great graphics and all but the gameplay kinda fell a bit flat, especially when you get to the aliens then it just becomes down right generic.... beautifully generic.