Most Disappointing Games Ever.

• 132 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

coolchris330

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 coolchris330
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

No, I didn't say 'The Worst Game Ever'. I said 'The Most Disappointing'. Games that you thought you were going to seriously enjoy, but in the end they weren't nearly as good as you were expecting. So, it could be the best or worst game ever, just the one that you thought you were going to enjoy, but you were seriously let down!

Let's list them

My Most Disappointing Game: Either KOTOR 1/2 or Toribash.

Coolchris330 :D

amekhov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 amekhov
Member since 2007 • 987 Posts
It was KOTOR for me... people hype it soo much, when I played it was meh..
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#3 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

C&C 3 ... i was so hyped for it but was really dissapointed in it.

Another game that really dissapointed me was Deus Ex:Invisible Wars.... I was such a huge fan of the first Deus Ex game, and was hoping for the next one to be alot of fun, but i just found it way to buggy and the funfactor wasnt nearly as high for me personally as the first one.

Fear is another game i was really hyped up for, but just didnt dealiver the goods for me.

DanielDust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DanielDust
Member since 2007 • 15402 Posts
Well the most disappointing games would be the ones from Crytek, Farcry and Crysis the most, then Fear (good game but not horror), C&C Tiberium Wars/Kane's Wrath, Mafia, Driver(all of them) and 90% of EA's games. There are a few others but these are the worst :).
dos4gw82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 dos4gw82
Member since 2006 • 1896 Posts

King's Quest 8.

:cry:

BLKR4330

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 BLKR4330
Member since 2006 • 1698 Posts
For me I think it's Civilization III. I spent so many hours playing the first 2 games that I assumed I couldn't go wrong with this. I was wrong, just couldn't get into it and I found it a very frustrating experience. I recently picked up the old alpha centauri but it will take a lot to revive my interest in later and future installments to the series.
regnumekal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 regnumekal
Member since 2006 • 122 Posts
Mafia
fireandcloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 fireandcloud
Member since 2005 • 5118 Posts

front page sports: football 96. man, even if they just did a graphics upgrade, i would have been elated. but it was buggy and things just didn't work as nicely as they did on the 95 version. and then there was 98, which marked the death of fps: football series. farewell, my sweet. farewell.

but then again, can't really blame fps: football 96. where can you go from perfection but down...

artur79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 artur79
Member since 2005 • 4679 Posts

I'd have to say Half Life. I should have played it back in the day, kinda regret that I didn't.

Oblivion was not a disappointment right away, but the more I played it, the more I felt the decline in quality of the series.

And while Warcraft 3 was a great game, I was really disappointed by it's story.

GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
Oblivion. It pretty much takes the cake when it comes to disappointments.
kaskus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kaskus
Member since 2007 • 717 Posts
same as here it is the most disappointing game i ever played, that's the reason why i wanted to shift to neosteam
fatshodan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 fatshodan
Member since 2008 • 2886 Posts
BioShock.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#13 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
I haven't really bought that many disappointing games. I choose carefully. Probably San Andreas. Still getting through STALKER so I have to reserve my judgement.
wood_duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 wood_duck
Member since 2007 • 990 Posts

Mafiaregnumekal

Are you insane! mafia? MAFIA?

Anyway for me it would be Gears Of War, my friends constantly bragged about how it was the best game ever to be released on Xbox 360, so i picked it up when it came to Pc and was completly bored by it.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kozzy1234

I'd have to say Half Life. I should have played it back in the day, kinda regret that I didn't.

Oblivion was not a disappointment right away, but the more I played it, the more I felt the decline in quality of the series.

artur79

Yea Warcraft 3 really dissapointed me alot to

biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#16 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
[QUOTE="artur79"]

kozzy1234

Why is that? I thought it was really cool.

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 kozzy1234

[QUOTE="regnumekal"]Mafiawood_duck

Are you insane! mafia? MAFIA?

Anyway for me it would be Gears Of War, my friends constantly bragged about how it was the best game ever to be released on Xbox 360, so i picked it up when it came to Pc and was completly bored by it.

Yeah Gears of War has some of the most dissapointing online play imo. I thought the coop with a friend was fun while it lasted, but the online i just hated haha :P

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 kozzy1234
[QUOTE="kozzy1234"][QUOTE="artur79"]

biggest_loser

Why is that? I thought it was really cool.

I honestly can not pinpoint exactly what it was, but the 3rd warcraft just wasnt nearly as addicting to me as the first two in the series. I got completly bored with Warcraft 3 after about 3 months, where as Warcraft 1 and 2 i played for years and couldnt get enough of them to be honest. Guess the fun factor and addiction factor wasnt as high for me personally in part 3

naval

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 naval
Member since 2003 • 11108 Posts
most disspointing would most proably be Gears of war and Doom 3. KOTOR and Deus Ex - IW would be next
junor69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#20 junor69
Member since 2005 • 202 Posts
Halo3
pinneyapple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 pinneyapple
Member since 2005 • 5566 Posts
Doom 3, it felt so weak.
bogaty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22 bogaty
Member since 2003 • 4750 Posts

Hmmm..Kinda tough

Let's see, there are several, but in no particular order:

Age of Sail 2 (insanely buggy on release and with a tonne of missing features. It finally became a worthwhile game to play once another dev bought the rights to it and patched it up.)

Master of Orion III (seriously, what the hell were the devs thinking when they made that convoluted mess that doesn't even really let you play? The stupid in game "advisor" reverses most of the decisions you make throughout the game)

Commandos 3 (take what's basically a puzzle solving game, then remove all the puzzles and just turn it into Diablo with a machinegun)

Half Life 2 (I was guilty of buying into the hype. While I never thought it was going to be as good as the gushing reviews and slavering fourm fanboys made it out to be, I never thought it would be as mundane and forgettable as it was)

XCOM Apocalypse (Take an excellent franchise with a good, turn based tactical combat section, a fun strategic overlayer with research, base building, and economics then throw it all out the window to turn the game into a Diablo clone with hoverboots and a raygun)

Xavier_12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Xavier_12
Member since 2005 • 824 Posts

I agree about Doom 3. Nice game and all but considering Doom 2 was my favorite game ever it didn't really push the envelope forward and the cutscenes and story were more cheesy than scary.

I have very high hopes for Doom 4.

siddhartha211

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 siddhartha211
Member since 2005 • 252 Posts

Doom 3, agreed. Graphics are amazing, and I did have fun, but after completing it I felt like I wasted my time doing nothing worthwhile.

Half Life 2, semi agreed. Everyone made it seem like it was so amazing, but I didn't really think it was that awesome. It started becoming repetitive when I got to Ravenholm, and I was bored until the last few levels.

ttomm1946

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 ttomm1946
Member since 2004 • 1871 Posts

Master Of Orion 3.....there were tons of posts on here before release saying it would be the greatest of the series..Duh?

It was a total broken mess:roll:

bogaty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 bogaty

Forgot to add Morrowind to my list. I spent about 6 hors just wandering around being amazed by the terrain, then spent the rest of the time wondering why the devs hadn't done any work in populating that terrain with anything other than cardboard cut-out NPCs, generic fetch quests, or enemies thatposed even a remote challenge once you were past level 8.

I always get a laugh at people who level charges at Oblivion, saying that they dumbed down Morrowind by shrinking the size of the world, removing skills, and limiting the RPG elements while chranking up the graphics. Those are the same charges I leveled at Morrowind, saying they dumbed down Daggerfall.

sentenced83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#27 sentenced83
Member since 2005 • 1529 Posts
Stalker ! it was hard figuring out what to do or how to cure radiationi played it for 3 hours then threw it
DennisKumfi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 DennisKumfi
Member since 2004 • 201 Posts
Daikatana. I so wanted to be Romero's ****
pseudodog07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#29 pseudodog07
Member since 2008 • 1106 Posts

Crysis. I swear without the graphics that game would have gotten a 6.5

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#30 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts

Return to Castle Wolfenstein. I was a huge fan of Wolf3D and had high hopes for this game.. it was very dissapointing.

Same thing with Doom3.. i just couldn't get into it no matter how hard i tried.

C&C 3.. it's just complete rubbish.

Avatar image for mechwarrior_bob
mechwarrior_bob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31 mechwarrior_bob
Member since 2006 • 1789 Posts
uh none really...I like all the games I play...I'm easy...only one I could gripe with is Halo:CE (double track SP and lackluster nadespamming/heavyweapon spamming multiplayer) other then that nothing...
_rpg_FAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 _rpg_FAN
Member since 2005 • 1418 Posts

Well the most disappointing games would be the ones from Crytek, Farcry and Crysis the mostDanielDust

You must be kidding us right? Crysis and FarCry are awesome games,and didnt dissapoint- what we expected- we got

crazymaghie123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 crazymaghie123
Member since 2004 • 1209 Posts
Halo 2, I hyped that game up so much and not only did it not deliver but it was crushing..then wow came out and for 2 years I had a blast haha
thusaha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 thusaha
Member since 2007 • 14495 Posts
Deus Ex: IW.
Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#35 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

Viva Pinata... I should have liked this game since its gameplay is sorta similar to Harvest Moon, but I couldn't accept it.

Simcity 4, way too much work to run the city smoothly, I prefered a city managing lvl of no more than Simcity 3000, or better yet, simcity 2000

theres others but can't think of them...

dos4gw82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 dos4gw82
Member since 2006 • 1896 Posts

Half Life 2 (I was guilty of buying into the hype. While I never thought it was going to be as good as the gushing reviews and slavering fourm fanboys made it out to be, I never thought it would be as mundane and forgettable as it was)

bogaty

What?!?!?!

Mundane and forgettable? Maybe a few levels, (Ravenholm) but as a whole, that game was unbelievable. Can you honestly say that fighting the striders wasn't fun, that the gravity gun wasn't one of the coolest weapons you've ever seen, and that your jaw didn't drop when you entered the citadel?

Maybe if you played HL2 today you wouldn't find it to be as unique, but back in 2004, there was absolutely nothing like it.

HavocEbonlore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 HavocEbonlore
Member since 2007 • 483 Posts

artur79

I second that. The game started out great, but yeah, the decline started to kick in.

Johnny_Rock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 Johnny_Rock
Member since 2002 • 40314 Posts

Daikatana. I so wanted to be Romero's ****DennisKumfi

Truth.

flclempire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#39 flclempire
Member since 2004 • 4914 Posts
Company of Heroes.
slateman_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 slateman_basic
Member since 2002 • 4142 Posts

Doom 3
Never got in to it. Pretty graphics at the time, but my PC could barely run it unless I turned everything way down. By the time I got a new PC, I had forgotten all about it.

Command and Conquer (everything after Red Alert 2)
When it first came out, C&C was the bomb. But they really failed to update any gameplay, and have only updated the graphics a little. Kind of lame now and has been surpassed by games like Age of Empires.

Far Cry
Same as Doom 3, but I could play it. It was better in that it was more open ended. But it just seemed to lack a real plot.

Crysis
So short . . . started well but then was meh.

Prey
See Crysis

Deus Ex: Invisible War
They essentially took the best parts out of the original DE and dumbed down the rest.

Band of Brothers
The whole fire and manuever thing was cool, but they needed to get rid of those icons. Then it became very repetitive. And the guns were so . . . difficult to use. Shouldn't be that way with a mouse and keyboard setup.

Star Trek Elite Force 2
Saved my biggest for last. Let me preface this by saying that, at the time, I was a big trekie. Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force was my favorite game and it was awesome. I was exstatic when EF2 came out. But then it sucked. It looked outdated. Enemy AI was dumb. More important, the storyline was no where near the original. So disheartening.

Falconoffury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Falconoffury
Member since 2003 • 1722 Posts

To the one who said X-Com Apocalypse, I enjoyed that game a lot, but for different reasons than the first two X-Coms. It had great graphics and artistic style for its time. The UFO battles were very unique and fun, though some of the vehicles were imbalanced. I remember buying every hoverbike I could. They were so cheap, and the UFOs missed them like crazy. It was all hoverbikes until you got the heavy vehicles late in the game.

The tactical missions took out a lot of the tactics you had in the first two X-Coms, but you still needed to use tactics. I certainly would not call it a Diablo clone. You still had to position yourself properly, and know when to run or stand and fight. The crazy explosions and destructible environments were an interesting change. Stuff would actually fall, if it wasn't standing on anything.

I admit that the game disappoints early X-Com fans, but it grows on you if you give it a chance.

A big disappointment for me was Dawn of War. I found it difficult to position my troops and use tactics at all in that game. I would select a bunch of squads, and send them to an area, but they would spread out in random ways. It was difficult to get them just where I wanted. I also felt like every mission in the campaign was about the same. It was very repetitive feeling.

I also have to disagree on Half-Life 2 being a disappointment. Half-Life 2 keeps throwing unique obstacles and challenges in your way like I've never seen a shooter do, not even Half-Life.

Falconoffury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Falconoffury
Member since 2003 • 1722 Posts
I almost forgot. Crysis was a disappointment for me because it was too short. It was amazing while it lasted, but it didn't last long enough. I was hoping for more 3-way battles between the Koreans, me, and the aliens, but the Koreans just disappeared after you got out of the alien base. I love 3-way battles!
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#44 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
BioShock. Hyped by Ken Levine himself to be System Shock 2 made better on all fronts... all it was was System Shock 2 carbon copied and overly simplified.
THGarrett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#45 THGarrett
Member since 2003 • 2574 Posts
Not really a game, but more of an expansion, Alien Versus Predator 2: Primal Hunt. After the awesome AVP2 I expected the expansion to be no less stellar than that, but boy I was surprisingly wrong. I don't know how, but they managed to totally screw the game up with a short corny single player that didn't even add much to the overall story. And not to mention they totally messed up the multiplayer. I expected great things, but instead it turned out to be the worst expansion I've ever played.
Lilgunney612

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#46 Lilgunney612
Member since 2005 • 1878 Posts

Im going to have to say a tie between crysis and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. I had way too high hopes for crysis, when you expect perfection you will always be disappointed as one of my good friends says. Im not sure why i couldnt get into stalker, it has all the perfect elements in a game that i love but it seems like the autosave just sucks. I dont like getting to the end of a level dieing and having to go through the entire level again (some levels take up 30 minutes easy).

EDIT: id also like to add medieval 2: kingdoms to the list, it had alot of added content but all of the new factions sucked.

bogaty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 bogaty
[QUOTE="bogaty"]

dos4gw82

What?!?!?!

Mundane and forgettable? Maybe a few levels, (Ravenholm) but as a whole, that game was unbelievable. Can you honestly say that fighting the striders wasn't fun, that the gravity gun wasn't one of the coolest weapons you've ever seen, and that your jaw didn't drop when you entered the citadel?

Maybe if you played HL2 today you wouldn't find it to be as unique, but back in 2004, there was absolutely nothing like it.

Yes, I can honestly say that fighting the striders wasn't fun. I always thought the "boss" level concept was hackneyed and overused. Oh reat, here comes a fill-in-the-blank giant tough thing that I'll have to pummel with ridiculous amounts of ammo while I cirlce strafe and take cover.

The gravity gun was functionally no different from the push-and-drag blocks of Tomb Raider, Wrath of Kain, or the hand in Trespasser. Slide and stack things on top of other things doesn't equal novel or compelling gameplay to me.

Entering the citadel...can't really recall. Was that the over-long cutscene where all you could do was look around as you rode along in some sarcophagus on rails?

Look, if HL2 was everything you ever dreamed of and more, great! Glad you enjoyed it. To me, I bought it when it was first released and I found it to be a bog-standard shooter. Technically, the engine was impressive, but the AI, level design, weapons, and story were nothing special. I played through the game once, felt underwhelmed but not ripped off and shelved it. Never had any desire to play it again or try any of the add-ons.

Fandangle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Fandangle
Member since 2003 • 3433 Posts
Warcraft3
Kev_Boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 143

#49 Kev_Boy
Member since 2003 • 1527 Posts
Starcraft, Halo and Thief 1 are my big ones.
aliblabla2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 aliblabla2007
Member since 2007 • 16756 Posts

Call of Duty 2. I wouldn't call it even half as good as the original.

Homeworld 2. It's a superb game, but it's not as good as the original or Cataclysm either.