Maybe all PC games should require an internet connection like D3.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

I have to be honest, I know little to nothing about downloading games illegally or DRM and stuff like that.

What I do know is that I have never stolen a game and have always supported PC games as much as possible. Now I know some devs have said in the past that piracy is one of the main reasons they have moved more towards consoles and I have seen some pretty large numbers in the stats of brand new games being pirated on PC. Yes I know consoles can pirate was well but you're not going to convince me that it's as easy or common as pirating on PC.

Anyway, I don't know if it would help or not...like I said I know very little about it, but if requiring an internet connection would increase sales numbers for devs maybe PC would be supported a little better and who knows, maybe we would even get some exclusives other than just MMOs.

Sure there are some down sides like what we saw with D3 where the servers were getting hammered but I'm sure that's a temporary thing.

I know a lot of you guys freak out over DRM and I don't understand why but if it helps the PC as a gaming platform then I'm fine with it.

So tell me, does requiring an internet connection slow down the piracy? Like I said I don't really know how it works.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts

that is the sure fire way to get me to stop buying PC games. why should I have to keep a constant internet connection for something I bought?

and what happens if a few years from now a company goes under? am I locked from my game forever?

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 BSC14

that is the sure fire way to get me to stop buying PC games. why should I have to keep a constant internet connection for something I bought?

and what happens if a few years from now a company goes under? am I locked from my game forever?

rilpas

Maybe they could just require it for the first 6 months...I don't know. How offten do you game without a connection?

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

I think it's possible that it could eventually become a viable strategy. As long as it doesn't fail to work like Diablo 3. By remaining transparent to users, it can avoid most complaints.

But there will still be people who will be turned off by it. We would need a shift in the way the Pc gmaing community at large feels about this type of thing. Somethign that will take time to happen.

We also need to see what the results are with experiments like Diablo 3 in terms of lost sales because of always online gameplay, vs expected pirated copies.

And it might be that always online isn't the only way to go abotu this, maybe theres some happier middle the market needs to figure out.

Personally, I have broadband internet with a failry generous bandwidth cap (though still a bit low for my tastes), so it doesn't really bother me. And I'm happy filthy pirates won't get their hands on Diablo 3.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

I appreciate the sentiment, but Blizzard is one of the most experienced publishers when it comes to dealing with large online launches, and one of the wealthiest too... and they still blow it every single time at launch. Other devs wouldn't have the knowledge or experience or resources to launch a game even that well, let alone maintain it.

And that isn't even the biggest issue. With a game like D3, when the servers go, the game is gone. Not many think of it, because Blizzrd has been great about keeping game servers going on for years, and even over a decade, but again, most publishers either can't or won't bother to do the same.

Unfortuanately, cloud based gaming is probably where all games will end up sometime down the line, but I'm certainly not heradling the day.

Assimilat0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#6 Assimilat0r
Member since 2011 • 767 Posts

Maybe admins should close this topic. Anyway its too redicilous to force players to get stabile internet connection for soloplay. Imagine you live in some forest or farm , you want play D3 but you getting DC every 10 min or so. Blizzard is Blizzard btw there are cracks for game out there, so they failed badly with D3.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 BSC14

Maybe admins should close this topic.

Assimilat0r

Why? There is no reason at all to close it. It's about PC gaming.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Kinthalis

Maybe admins should close this topic. Anyway its too redicilous to force players to get stabile internet connection for soloplay. Imagine you live in some forest or farm , you want play D3 but you getting DC every 10 min or so. Blizzard is Blizzard btw there are cracks for game out there, so they failed badly with D3.

Assimilat0r

Why the hell dopes it need ot be locked? Because you don't like the topic? It seems to fit the forum perfectly.

And as a company, really how many gaming customers live out in the boonies anway? That needs to be put in the equation fo rsure, but I can't imagine there's a lot of demand for Diablo in places without broadband... Not much demand for PC gaming specially since it's increasingly digital presence.

And no, there are NO cracks for Diablo 3. Don't believe everythign your ead ona google search.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#9 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

From what I've herad Diablo 3 has already been cracked and the online always DRM has been bypassed.

So no. Let's not go that way.

Diablo 3 isn't a single player game though. That's where people are getting confused.

I would prefer games to not have to go online to play a single player. That would be annoying because of all of the potential issues it brings.

Assimilat0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 Assimilat0r
Member since 2011 • 767 Posts

[QUOTE="Assimilat0r"]

Kinthalis

Why the hell dopes it need ot be locked? Because you don't like the topic? It seems to fit the forum perfectly.

And as a company, really how many gaming customers live out in the boonies anway? That needs to be put in the equation fo rsure, but I can't imagine there's a lot of demand for Diablo in places without broadband... Not much demand for PC gaming specially since it's increasingly digital presence.

And no, there are NO cracks for Diablo 3. Don't believe everythign your ead ona google search.

First dont get me wrong i live in Capital of my country, Second thing there are out there few working cracks. Third thing i am playing Diablo 3 on BattleArena account. Last thing is that a really unfair that many gamers would like to play D3 but their connections giving them headache, sry for trolling btw. We just dont live atm in time for Connection Req. games.

RobertBowen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#11 RobertBowen
Member since 2003 • 4094 Posts

If all games required a constant online connection, I'd simply stop buying them. I do have broadband, and usually get a decent speed, but recent problems have forced me to re-evaluate what I'm willing to accept.

I had been contemplating getting Diablo 3 at some point, and I'm very interested in Guild Wars 2 as well - but even before these launch problems with D3, I was experiencing some serious problems with my broadband connection cutting out randomly for no reason for a couple of weeks, until it went out completely for a few days. Apparently there was a fault on my telephone line, or at the exchange, which is now mostly sorted, but the line quality is still not 100 per cent, and I'm still getting some random dropouts for a few seconds at a time when web-browsing.

So trying to play a game online and potentially getting kicked out, and having my progress reset? No thanks. Given my recent experience, that would now be a deal-breaker for me. I play games to have fun, first and foremost, and anything that gets in the way of that is surplass to requirements. At least at the moment I can still download games via GOG and Steam - because if my connection cuts out halfway, it will just resume the download afterwards. I can still install and play the games offline, if necessary.

No doubt the whole game industry is moving in this direction, and digital downloads will eventually become the only way to buy games - at least until a time when they all decide to jump on the 'game streaming' bandwagon, at which point gaming will just become like watching different TV channels.

When we get to that point, I'll probably just stop getting any new games, and be satisfied with my existing game collection.

Maybe when we all get 100 per cent reliable fibre-optic connections to the house, I'll re-evaluate again. But until then...no, I can't support the idea of constant online requirements.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

From what I've herad Diablo 3 has already been cracked and the online always DRM has been bypassed.

Diablo 3 isn't a single player game though. That's where people are getting confused.

I would prefer games to not have to go online to play a single player. That would be annoying because of all of the potential issues it brings.

Wasdie

I've heard that a few times myself, but always here in the GS forums. There doesn't seem to be any proof of it though, and by the very nature of the game I doubt we'll see something like that for awhile. The game doesn't need a crack to play, it would need a server. Too much of the game simply doesn't exist on people's PC.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Kinthalis

Wasdie

Again, no. It has not been cracked.

It CANNOT be cracked. All of the monster logic/formulas for items/level layouts, etc LIVE on their servers.

For it to be "cracked" would require a developer re-write the monster AI/items and formulas and run his own "Cracked" server to host level information.

That won't happen for a long time. AND who the heck but a few idiots are actually going to bother playing a crappy Diablo server clone that probably crashes every two seconds, where you and your character are at the mercy of the idiot who owns the cracked server, and where you will not get access to the latest fixes/game updates from Blizzard?

I'm sure the answer is more than 0 people, but the number is going to be significantly less than the 5 + million that would have pirated it otherwise.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

NO, that gotta be the most stupid idea ever.

look all the fuking problems diablo 3 has had because of their stupid online drm

and yes, i do care when im trying to play a game and their servers don't let me log, good job blizzard!

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 BSC14

[QUOTE="Kinthalis"]

[QUOTE="Assimilat0r"]

Assimilat0r

First dont get me wrong i live in Capital of my country, Second thing there are out there few working cracks. Third thing i am playing Diablo 3 on BattleArena account. Last thing is that a really unfair that many gamers would like to play D3 but their connections giving them headache, sry for trolling btw. We just dont live atm in time for Connection Req. games.

I have no issues with DRM. Why in the world would a company put tons of cash/time into a game only for a bunch of crap balls to come and steal it? Now consoles have crap balls as well but from what I understand, it's crazy easy on PC where as on console you have to mod it or some such crap.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Kinthalis

look all the fuking problems diablo 3 has had because of their stupid online drm

and yes, i do care when im trying to play a game and their servers don't let me log, good job blizzard!

Krelian-co

These problames are surmountable however.

You act as though they aren't.

Bottom line is, if this DRM was more transparent to you, in other words if it had worked from midnight Monday night until now flawlessly for you.... would you care?

And if you still cared, for how many would be a deal breaker...

I think Diablo 3 is going to reveal that to us in 6 months when Blizzard reveals sales numbers.

If, as I suspect 5+ million people bought the game regardless of always online clinet/server bases game play, well then I think the question is answered:

Not enough people care to matter. At least not for big AAA games.

neatfeatguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#17 neatfeatguy
Member since 2005 • 4402 Posts

I have to be honest, I know little to nothing about downloading games illegally or DRM and stuff like that.

What I do know is that I have never stolen a game and have always supported PC games as much as possible. Now I know some devs have said in the past that piracy is one of the main reasons they have moved more towards consoles and I have seen some pretty large numbers in the stats of brand new games being pirated on PC. Yes I know consoles can pirate was well but you're not going to convince me that it's as easy or common as pirating on PC.

Anyway, I don't know if it would help or not...like I said I know very little about it, but if requiring an internet connection would increase sales numbers for devs maybe PC would be supported a little better and who knows, maybe we would even get some exclusives other than just MMOs.

Sure there are some down sides like what we saw with D3 where the servers were getting hammered but I'm sure that's a temporary thing.

I know a lot of you guys freak out over DRM and I don't understand why but if it helps the PC as a gaming platform then I'm fine with it.

So tell me, does requiring an internet connection slow down the piracy? Like I said I don't really know how it works.

BSC14

You do realize it's just as easy to pirate games on consoles as it is the PC, right? I used to work with a bunch of guys that didn't buy any of their 360 or PS3 games.... Companies use the excuse of too many pirated copies on the PC to make games for it as a copout to focus more so on consoles because there's generally more money to be made for console based games.

If a company came out and said they were not making a game strictly for the PC because they want to target a wider audience on both PC and console, it would be an easier pill to swallow over the "pirated" BS excuse they try to feed everyone. Now, the only problem from going strictly from PC to both console and PC, it's usually what was good on PC game that gets changed so much to work on the console - it ruins what the game once was.

Crysis for example - designed for PC and made to play on the PC. Moved to console for Crysis 2 - game engine had to be changed so the game could run on consoles, suit powers were streamlined (not sure exactly why, but could be due to button limitations on a controller when compared to a mouse/keyboard), open-ish world exploration was removed and changed to a linear path (though Crysis wasn't that great of a sandbox game when compared to FarCry), AI wasn't as good (I didn't think Crysis AI was that great to begin with though, but it was a step down in Crysis 2).

It's painful to watch games that were good, get a major facelift when the next release is moved to consoles. I'm sure everyone has their own opinion on the whole matter, but that's how I see things. I can honestly say I can't think of a game that kept it's roots after being made on PC and then the next release was designed to work on both console and PC.

As for moving to an "always online" DRM - what becomes of your game if the company tanks and their servers are down? I like a lot of my old games, if they were designed that way I couldn't keep playing them since some of the companies that made the games are defunct. I'm all for companies to stop with the "pirate" excuse, go back to activate game online (but not require constant connection) or just have a CD-Key and you're all set. People that pirate, they're going to pirate. People that don't, they will buy games they want. I buy my games - that's my choice. I don't want to be punished anymore for actually supporting a company with crappy DRM that could potentially break your game in the future.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Kinthalis

[QUOTE="Assimilat0r"]

[QUOTE="Kinthalis"]

BSC14

I have no issues with DRM. Why in the world would a company put tons of cash/time into a game only for a bunch of crap balls to come and steal it? Now consoles have crap balls as well but from what I understand, it's crazy easy on PC where as on console you have to mod it or some such crap.

Exactly.

I fulyl support DRM. I despise pirates and what they have done to my beloved PC gaming, so I'm 100% willing to jump through a few hoops to play games if that neans developers are more willing to PUt games on the PC in the first place.

If it wasn't for DRM and a service based digitla space like Steam, PC gmaing WOULD NOT be viable today. At least not in any way that I would be interested in. It would ONLY be Free to Play and MMO's. And akthough I enjoy those games too, I absolutely prefer single-player, expansive experiences.

The question is: how many hoops am I willing to jump through?

As long as the DRM is transparent to me, as long as it is tolerant of issues on my connection, I'm open to a lot. I don't want something invading my PC. It cannot be malware (starforce) it cannot limit what I do with my PC outside of a particular game. But I would consider anything else.

I'm not completley happy with always online DRM either. It might not be the best solution and it affects things like community made content (which I love), and I don't appreciate not being to play my game if my conneciton is down either.

But what else can they do at this point? Who here isn't 100% sure that if it wasn't for this Diablo would sell 1 million units and be pirated 8 million times?

Also, pirating on consoles is NOT as easy as pirating on PC. On PC you literally download a torrent and that's it. On the consoles the hardware needs to be modded. Something outside the scope fo most console gamers.

Loegi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Loegi
Member since 2009 • 1692 Posts
Please no, I would rather be able to play games on launch day. And there is plenty of piracy on consoles.
Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Krelian-co

[QUOTE="Krelian-co"]

Kinthalis

Bottom line is, if this DRM was more transparent to you, in other words if it had worked from midnight Monday night until now flawlessly for you.... would you care?

I think Diablo 3 is going to reveal that to us in 6 months when Blizzard reveals sales numbers.

If, as I suspect 5+ million people bought the game regardless of always online clinet/server bases game play, well then I think the question is answered:

surmountable for sure, having to insist login in, servers down for maintanance, lag spikes and in general, dcs making people lose progress and sometimes even items, online drm is oure crap, plain and simple

and yes, even without the problems i would still care, why do i have to be online for a game i already bought and can play single player, suposse my internet has any problem this week, i wouldn't be able to play, why should i not be able to play because these idiots decided i can't?

diablo 3 sales numbers have anything at all with the drm online, this is a game people will buy anyway (like me) regardless of drm, doesn't make it any less annoying, but if a lesser game would try this crap on me i would pass without hesitation

i also remember when mass effect 3 got out, i couldn't play it on my effin gaming pc because i moved to a new house and i had no internet yet. GREAT JOB ONLINE DRM! had to downloaded it from a torrent even though i already payed for it because THEY forced me to if i wanted to play it. easy without problems, Online DRM only affects legal users like me.

Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
How does it help the pc gaming platform to lose single player gameplay and mod support? Heck, mod support is one of the big things that makes PC gaming special.
Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Kinthalis

How does it help the pc gaming platform to lose single player gameplay and mod support? Heck, mod support is one of the big things that makes PC gaming special.guynamedbilly

I do agree with this. This is the main issue I have with this type of DRM. While it enhances the way the developer can put new content into the game, it pretty much eliminates community made mods, or at least severely limits what they can do and how they work.

Which is why I'm all for finding a better way. But right now, I haven't seen one, specially for somehting like a Diablo 3. I guarantee you this game will sell a LOT more now that it cannot be pirated. a LOT more than if it would have been a standard single player experience.

But this method wouldn't work for a smaller studio, because the popularity fothe game isn't there to overcome the DRM.

Ultimately I'm not happy with it, but I cna live with it. And I urge develoeprs/publishers to make other options more viable.

Also, pirates need to die.

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#23 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
Hmmmm, thanks but no. I like my games in which I don't have to be always online for play the game. For games that are single player only this DRM option will only alienate potential customers.
Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Krelian-co

[QUOTE="Kinthalis"]

[QUOTE="Krelian-co"]

Krelian-co

surmountable for sure, having to insist login in, servers down for maintanance, lag spikes and in general, dcs making people lose progress and sometimes even items, online drm is oure crap, plain and simple

and yes, even without the problems i would still care, why do i have to be online for a game i already bought and can play single player, suposse my internet has any problem this week, i wouldn't be able to play, why should i not be able to play because these idiots decided i can't?

diablo 3 sales numbers have anything at all with the drm online, this is a game people will buy anyway (like me) regardless of drm, doesn't make it any less annoying, but if a lesser game would try this crap on me i would pass without hesitation

i also remember when mass effect 3 got out, i couldn't play it on my effin gaming pc because i moved to a new house and i had no internet yet. GREAT JOB ONLINE DRM! had to downloaded it from a torrent even though i already payed for it because THEY forced me to if i wanted to play it. easy without problems, Online DRM only affects legal users like me.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#25 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

There's only one good thing about this and that it fights piracy.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Krelian-co

There's only one good thing about this and that it fights piracy.

mitu123

if only that was true i might agree, but it only delays them a few days and screws over legal users with many inconvenients.

basically they care more about stoping pirates than giving a good service to legal users, as long as it fill more their pockets.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#27 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

So in the same light, HONEST gamers who buy their games.. some of us even buy games day one at $60 to support devs, so we should be punished for the unstable, unreliable always-online DRM? No thanks. If Blizzard can barely handle, I wouldn't trust any other dev besides Valve. And I'm willing to bet Valve will run into issues as well. It's inevitable.

It doesn't combat piracy.. it only delays the pirates a few days.. actually Diablo 3 was hacked faster than other games that were unpopular.

QQabitmoar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 QQabitmoar
Member since 2011 • 1892 Posts

Yes, they should. And companies should be able to shut down the servers whenever they want as well. If the company doesn't want you to play a game, you don't play it! Mods? Offline? Non-intrusive DRM? STOP BEING SO ENTITLED, WHAT ARE YOU A PIRATE OR SOMETHING?

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BSC14

Yes, they should. And companies should be able to shut down the servers whenever they want as well. If the company doesn't want you to play a game, you don't play it! Mods? Offline? Non-intrusive DRM? STOP BEING SO ENTITLED, WHAT ARE YOU A PIRATE OR SOMETHING?

QQabitmoar

I know, right. They should just spend millions on making free games. Because you know if they lose money or make only a small profit then they will jump all over making more games. Then we can all sit around bashing consoles because we have lost all support.

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#30 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

How about no? This is a typical example of when the cure is worse than the disease, not in the last place because online-only DRM is quite ineffective. The game ends up being cracked sooner rather than later, meaning that the honest customers have to cope with the downsides while pirates aren't bothered by anything. Also, a lot of developers claim that piracy is the reason for moving to consoles, but I severely doubt that this is true in many cases. After all, claiming that you're forced to move to consoles sounds more classy than saying you're switching your focus because you think you can sell more. Spreading draconic DRM like a disease is by no means a guarantee that developers will stop switching to consoles; it is rather a guarantee that honest gamers will get cornered even more.

Really, I don't mind DRM as long as it doesn't interfere with the actual game experience. I have no problems with Steam as DRM, for example, but an online-only system would cause more problems than it would solve, and it would eventually end up hurting the PC market even more.

laliberte11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31 laliberte11
Member since 2008 • 4246 Posts

Because error 37 thats why

timma25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 timma25
Member since 2005 • 1131 Posts

Not sure if troll or mentally incompetent, both go hand in hand I suppose.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Krelian-co

[QUOTE="QQabitmoar"]

BSC14

I know, right. They should just spend millions on making free games. Because you know if they lose money or make only a small profit then they will jump all over making more games. Then we can all sit around bashing consoles because we have lost all support.

yes because companies make so little money with games, is not like craptastic cod which is the easiest games to pirate in all existance profits more than a billion dollars or anything like that.

damn those entitled gamers who want to play the games they payed for!

damn those entitled gamers who get angry at servers down when they were supossed to be playing

damn those entitled gamers for making mods that make the game better

-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

I have never pirated a game, ever. I also don't buy non-mmorpgs that require on-line connections, ever. If, for some idiotic reason, all games started requiring me to be connected to play then I would change my eye patch and head for the high seas in a heat beat.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Kinthalis

Ok, can we please stop syaing Diablo 3 was hacked?

DIABLO 3 WAS NOT HACKED. HASN'T BEEN HACKED, TEHCNICALLY CANNOT BE HACKED.

There is a major misunderstanding with what Blizzard did with it's server-client architecture in Diablo 3.

This isn't Ubisoft, always online DRM where the ENTIRE game lives on your drive and the program needs to be told, via internet, that it's conencted to Ubi so keep letting the user play.

THAT setup CAN and HAS been broken int he past, though it's taken hackers months to do so.

Blizzard is NOT doing that. Diablo 3 is more akin to an MMO.

The assets live on your drive. The levels, your items, etc, etc, DO NOT. They live on the server.

Therefore, the only way to "hack" Diablo 3, would be to run a hacked server that someone built with all the server information, monster AI, item/loot formulas, etc, etc. In other words, you'd need a friggin GAME DEVELOPER to create the server side part of the game.

Do people understand now how this works?

IT's kind of like WoW. You can;'t just crack Wow and play single player. The world doesn't exist in your hard drive. It exists on Blizzard's servers.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Krelian-co

There is a major misunderstanding with what Blizzard did with it's server-client architecture in Diablo 3.

This isn't Ubisoft, always online DRM where the ENTIRE game lives on your drive and the program needs to be told, via internet, that it's conencted to Ubi so keep letting the user play.

THAT setup CAN and HAS been broken int he past, though it's taken hackers months to do so.

The assets live on your drive. The levels, your items, etc, etc, DO NOT. They live on the server.

Therefore, the only way to "hack" Diablo 3, would be to run a hacked server that someone built with all the server information, monster AI, item/loot formulas, etc, etc. In other words, you'd need a friggin GAME DEVELOPER to create the server side part of the game.

IT's kind of like WoW. You can;'t just crack Wow and play single player. The world doesn't exist in your hard drive. It exists on Blizzard's servers.

Kinthalis

stop spreading your ignorance, starcraft was like that and it was cracked with an emulated server, price of persia forgotten sand also had server side information, also emulated, anything can and will be hacked.

and its still pathetic you can't pay without connection, and even when my connection , pc and game are perfect i can't play decently because server problems, gg blizzard drm

timma25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 timma25
Member since 2005 • 1131 Posts

Kinthalis
Cuz WoW doesn't have any hacked servers...
-wildflower-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 -wildflower-
Member since 2003 • 2997 Posts

They should just spend millions on making free games. Because you know if they lose money or make only a small profit then they will jump all over making more games. Then we can all sit around bashing consoles because we have lost all support.BSC14

I'll tell you what, if you agree to a FULL cavity search every time you walk out of a retail store (13 BILLION dollars are lost each year to shoplifting) then I will agree to playing games that require a 24/7 Internet connection. Sounds fair to me.

gokuofheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 gokuofheaven
Member since 2004 • 3452 Posts
If I can just play the games without lag then I'm fine with everything else.
Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Kinthalis

[QUOTE="Kinthalis"]

Krelian-co

stop spreading your ignorance, starcraft was like that and it was cracked with an emulated server, price of persia forgotten sand also had server side information, also emulated, anything can and will be hacked.

and its still pathetic you can't pay without connection, and even when my connection , pc and game are perfect i can't play decently because server problems, gg blizzard drm

I am NOT spreading misinformation you idiot. Star crfat was NOT like that.

God you are clueless.

EVERYTHING that was the Stacraft single player experience LIVED ON YOUR HARD DRIVE. The map, the AI, the levels, the storyline, EVERYTHING was on the disc. The program simply checked to make sure you were logged in to Battlenet to let you play (actually you could play single player without logging in, this is another misconception).

THIS IS NOT THE CASE FOR DIABLO. God damn it, people are so damned thick headed. The levels and all that makes them up, EXCEPT for the art assets live on Blizzard servers. NOT ON YOUR DRIVE.

I can't believe people have such an incredible lack of knowledge when ti comes to simple server/client architecture.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

I'm experiencing lag in mysingleplayerDiablo 3 right now and it has nothing to do with my connection, I find that unacceptable.

And Diablo 3 is a singleplayer game untill Blizzard renders it impossible to play solo, fix it please.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Kinthalis

[QUOTE="Kinthalis"]

timma25

Cuz WoW doesn't have any hacked servers...

They do. Were there hacked servers the day after WOW came out?

No. It took LOTS of very creative hackers MONTHS to create hacked servers. Hacked servers someone needs to pay for, are much easier for Blizzard laywers to shut down, support all of 20 people with constant crashes, and are essentially homebrewed projects by crappy modders.

Hence why almost NO ONE uses them.

That's the point. Hacked servers represent an INSIGNIFICANT issue for Blizzard.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Krelian-co

[QUOTE="Krelian-co"]

[QUOTE="Kinthalis"]

Kinthalis

God you are clueless.

EVERYTHING that was the Stacraft single player experience LIVED ON YOUR HARD DRIVE. The map, the AI, the levels, the storyline, EVERYTHING was on the disc. The program simply checked to make sure you were logged in to Battlenet to let you play (actually you could play single player without logging in, this is another misconception).

THIS IS NOT THE CASE FOR DIABLO. God damn it, people are so damned thick headed. The levels and all that makes them up, EXCEPT for the art assets live on Blizzard servers. NOT ON YOUR DRIVE.

I can't believe people have such an incredible lack of knowledge when ti comes to simple server/client architecture.

hahaha you are retarded, there are already emulated servers and bypassed blizzard drm, if you don't know them i don't care. you are ignorant because you spread missinformation, simple as that-

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Kinthalis

[QUOTE="Kinthalis"]

[QUOTE="Krelian-co"]

Krelian-co

God you are clueless.

hahaha you are retarded, there are already emulated servers and bypassed blizzard drm, if you don't know them i don't care. you are ignorant because you spread missinformation, simple as that-

Alright, I'm not going to waste my time with you any longer. Clueless, ignorant jack @ass.

slabber44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45 slabber44
Member since 2004 • 985 Posts
Ok people, time for a "GROUP HUG".
Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Kinthalis

Ok people, time for a "GROUP HUG". slabber44

::Hugs slabber::

::punchesKrelian::

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Being online to play with others is fine, having to be online when you want to play by yourself only isn't.
slabber44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48 slabber44
Member since 2004 • 985 Posts

[QUOTE="slabber44"]Ok people, time for a "GROUP HUG". Kinthalis

::Hugs slabber::

::punchesKrelian::

Haha!
C_Rule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 C_Rule
Member since 2008 • 9816 Posts
DRM like this doesn't stop piracy. Give it a week or so and it'll be cracked and up for download. All the DRM does is punish legit players.
Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Kinthalis

DRM like this doesn't stop piracy. Give it a week or so and it'll be cracked and up for download. All the DRM does is punish legit players.C_Rule

::slams head on table::

That's it. I give up.