Mafia II Demo Available!!!!

• 131 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

HeavenIceDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#102 HeavenIceDay
Member since 2004 • 798 Posts

Found this about physx performance in a 2K Forum:

For everyone with high end nvidia cards and horrible physx performance, it sounds like there may be an issue with the game reverting to CPU for physx effects. To test it, go to our nvidia control panel, and at the top under the 3d settings pull down menu, select physx visual indicator. Then run the game and it will tell you whether physx is being done on the CPU or GPU.

Either way, go here to look at this and perhaps a possible fix (if this indeed a problem): http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79300

mo0ksi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#103 mo0ksi
Member since 2007 • 12337 Posts

I'm going to post impressions through some good ol' fashioned pros and cons

Pros:

• Captures the atmosphere very well through many small touches
  • Seems to have an excellent soundtrack
  • Overall great audio/visual presentation

Cons:

• Lacks the authentic, realistic feeling of the original game.
  • Gunfights and gunplay feel underwhelming
  • Instead of it improving upon the original game's sandbox design, it treads more along the GTA style of gameplay. I'm not digging that.
  • Story garners interest, but I can't help but think that it's just going to be an enormous ripoff of classic Mafia films.

Solid game through and through, but I think I'm going to wait for a price drop. My initial fears seem confirmed, and I don't see this topping the original in any way.

dakan69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 dakan69
Member since 2010 • 99 Posts
People don't complain about the corss hair. Its like that guy writing a huge post about weapons and accuracy and recoil and what not, which was totally overdrawn.
The game is just fine. Play it and enjoy it.
blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts
the the sounds of it ,I should be able to play this well on my Dual core celeron
rmfd341

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#106 rmfd341
Member since 2008 • 3808 Posts
What a great time for not having my PC. ****
eddy96_1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#107 eddy96_1
Member since 2003 • 1388 Posts

Found this about physx performance in a 2K Forum:

For everyone with high end nvidia cards and horrible physx performance, it sounds like there may be an issue with the game reverting to CPU for physx effects. To test it, go to our nvidia control panel, and at the top under the 3d settings pull down menu, select physx visual indicator. Then run the game and it will tell you whether physx is being done on the CPU or GPU.

Either way, go here to look at this and perhaps a possible fix (if this indeed a problem): http://forums.2kgames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79300

HeavenIceDay

Yea tried that but Physx is still be run by the CPU even though in Nvidia Control Panel ive got my 8800GT selected as the Physx GPU. Glad to see its just a bug and not the Physx in Mafia 2 being unoptimized.

VeryBumpy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 VeryBumpy
Member since 2008 • 1718 Posts

I'm going to post impressions through some good ol' fashioned pros and cons

Pros:

• Captures the atmosphere very well through many small touches
  • Seems to have an excellent soundtrack
  • Overall great audio/visual presentation

Cons:

• Lacks the authentic, realistic feeling of the original game.
  • Gunfights and gunplay feel underwhelming
  • Instead of it improving upon the original game's sandbox design, it treads more along the GTA style of gameplay. I'm not digging that.
  • Story garners interest, but I can't help but think that it's just going to be an enormous ripoff of classic Mafia films.

Solid game through and through, but I think I'm going to wait for a price drop. My initial fears seem confirmed, and I don't see this topping the original in any way.

mo0ksi

Yeah, solid game but nothing amazing in any department. Feels and plays like a GTA4 TC.

Lack of true AA. Lame post processing distance blur effect. Low res console textures - all not conducive PC game material.

Was really excited about this game but now after the demo I'll wait till it hits $25 or so. Or less if it truly only has 10 hours of mission gameplay.

coolmonkeykid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#109 coolmonkeykid
Member since 2004 • 3276 Posts
After spending 1.5 hours in this demo, I loaded up GTA 4 to make comparisons.. Mafia 2 has better graphics, is optimized, looks like it will have a promising story, and is just more realistic overall.
blues35301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 blues35301
Member since 2008 • 2680 Posts
After spending 1.5 hours in this demo, I loaded up GTA 4 to make comparisons.. Mafia 2 has better graphics, is optimized, looks like it will have a promising story, and is just more realistic overall. coolmonkeykid
It has its pro's and cons. I think GTA4 has better effects, physics and crashes look great in GTA4 especially when plowing mailboxes etc. Stray bullets have a sweet effect on cars, glass and other objects in GTA4. Mafia 2 does it well also but not quite the level of detail that GTA4 has. Graphics are pretty comparable its give or take on different aspects. I really love GTA4 on the pc so I feel overall this game won't live up to it. Probably a day 1 though for me.
MisterEditor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 MisterEditor
Member since 2010 • 185 Posts

Loved the demo. Can't wait for full game!

albi321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 albi321
Member since 2007 • 1552 Posts
I have an ATI card, if I turn on physX will it be handled by the CPU? I turned it on with all settings maxed, and there was a performance hit, but nothing major or unplayable.
Resistance_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#113 Resistance_Kid
Member since 2009 • 1171 Posts

[QUOTE="Resistance_Kid"]

So you don't play games maxed out because there is a resolution higher than yours? Nonscense. Maxing out refers to settings. I can always buy myself a monitor, or use my HDTV to play at a higher resolution if I want to. You cannot refer to maxing out based on the resolution. if you do, then you don't max it out either, seeing as there are resolution higher than yours...

rhazzy

Dude just stop...if you buy urself a monitor that supports 1080...and you will run any newer game at max resolution...ur screen will be a slide-show.

You stop. My computer was supposed to have a 1650x1080 monitor, but the company I bought it from exhchanged the res for other extras. On youtube, type up msi gx623, and you'll find my computer more than exceeds modern day requirements.

On a personal note, stop trying to be clever, you're not doing very good.

nikola96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#114 nikola96
Member since 2008 • 836 Posts

I'm too lazy to download it :(

Resistance_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 Resistance_Kid

I'm too lazy to download it :(

nikola96

Took me three clicks :lol:

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 deactivated-5cf4b2c19c4ab
Member since 2008 • 17476 Posts
Tweaked the physx a bit, disabled all cloth simulaton on all the npcs but kept vino's cloth simulation. Now i can run physx on high just fine, the npc simulaiton for the most part is unnoticable anyways. Still got the masses of particles flying everywhere which is very nice.
adamosmaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#117 adamosmaki
Member since 2007 • 10718 Posts
Great first impressions Optimization- Excellent. At 1440x900 with my 8800gt and an old Q6600 everything maxed out and 4xAA and never droped below 30fps ( physx of course were off since with a single 8800gt and physx on that would kill my fps ) Controls- Good could have been better. I have 2 complains about controls. First is car control feels like a boat. Second and not that annoying mouse control at the menus is way to smooth and there is no way to fix that on options ( in game though is quite good although for the picky ones like me feels slightly to smooth) Graphic options are adequate ( could have been more options although this could change in the full game ) Gameplay wise- Great better than GTA4 and more cinematic imo. Great voice acting as well and like the music The world feels much better than GTA4 and feels like its alive
Ntalikeris666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#118 Ntalikeris666
Member since 2009 • 71 Posts

Hohohoho, I just played the demo level! It have to say it looks great! Funny thing is i managed to played it on High settings (no AA) on a Intel Pentium IV 3,4 Ghz and a Radeon 5770, at 25 FPS. When i read the system requirements i thought it was gonna run like GTA IV, but i was happily mistaken!

Anyone knows if you can remove the time limit of the demo??

LongZhiZi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 LongZhiZi
Member since 2009 • 2453 Posts
I thought it was fairly boring. I played it until the demo ended and then immediately uninstalled. I'd buy it for $10, but probably not much more.
Resistance_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 Resistance_Kid

Hohohoho, I just played the demo level! It have to say it looks great! Funny thing is i managed to played it on High settings (no AA) on a Intel Pentium IV 3,4 Ghz and a Radeon 5770, at 25 FPS. When i read the system requirements i thought it was gonna run like GTA IV, but i was happily mistaken!

Anyone knows if you can remove the time limit of the demo??

Ntalikeris666

It's not exactly a time limit, if you start a new game every time, it will reset. The time limit is for free roaming, and I think there was a post earlier in the thread about some patch on GT that froze it.

BDK-Soft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 BDK-Soft
Member since 2009 • 795 Posts
Well I'm going sightseeing. Don't have to worry about that time limit anymore =)
Resistance_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 Resistance_Kid

Well I'm going sightseeing. Don't have to worry about that time limit anymore =)BDK-Soft

Patched it! Works good :)

Now I basically have the full game if you don't count the missions :P

BDK-Soft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 BDK-Soft
Member since 2009 • 795 Posts
lol I went for some gas, got my car washed, grabbed a burger at some nasty joint, kicked him in the head and robbed his cash register. Perfect sightseeing in my book :p
Resistance_Kid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Resistance_Kid

lol I went for some gas, got my car washed, grabbed a burger at some nasty joint, kicked him in the head and robbed his cash register. Perfect sightseeing in my book :pBDK-Soft

Gas Stations and Robbing Cash Registers. Something GTA Has failed to do in over a decade :D

HeavenIceDay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 HeavenIceDay
Member since 2004 • 798 Posts

Tweaked the physx a bit, disabled all cloth simulaton on all the npcs but kept vino's cloth simulation. Now i can run physx on high just fine, the npc simulaiton for the most part is unnoticable anyways. Still got the masses of particles flying everywhere which is very nice.ferret-gamer

How did you tweak the physx? I don't need cloth simulation on all the NPCs...

Edit: Nevermind i found it:

All you do is find the APEX folder and delete all cloth files except those that start with VIT and and files named "m2skeleton" and "ClothRemapTable".

http://physxinfo.com/news/3628/mafia-ii-demo-tweaking-physx-performance/

MyopicCanadian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#126 MyopicCanadian
Member since 2004 • 8345 Posts

I'm disappointed that they simplified the driving controls, but I guess not enough people used clutch and manual shift in the first game to make it worthwhile.. or something.. the car handling on simulation is pretty cool, though.

Overall.. it's a fine game. It's pretty much what I expectedit to be, maybe even more... definitely looking forward to the full game :D

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#127 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
I tried with physx on full. It lags in some parts while it plays better in others. Between you and me its mostly like a memory leak. My results were: Minium:9fps, maximum 50 fps, average 20fps Rank D All maxed out including phyxs and 1680x1050 Personally its more of a gimmick with small fake pieces poping and falling down out of everything you shoot including walls. I wont bother with it. Oh and windows xp and only 2gb ram.
KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#128 KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts
[QUOTE="LongZhiZi"]I thought it was fairly boring. I played it until the demo ended and then immediately uninstalled. I'd buy it for $10, but probably not much more.

Yea, Freeroam games have no replayability and absolutely no exciting situations at all. Sike. I spent 30 minutes just getting into car chases with cops. Great fun.
Avatar image for spiderman120988
spiderman120988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

#129 spiderman120988
Member since 2005 • 1421 Posts
What an excellent demo! Took a break from SC2 to check out the demo. I had already pre-ordered the game but this demo reaffirms that I made a good choice to purchase it. The visuals are very clean and sharp and it looks a lot better than GTA 4 without the need of a super PC. Still, the visuals are nothing to write home about but they get the job done. I like the Playboy collectibles. Controls are fine but driving is a little stiff. I guess that's how 1940s cars handle? =D Apex PhysX I can't run well, on medium I get 20 fps which is playable but it doesn't really add all that much. I did notice the extra debris and the clothing did move realistically but I doubt I'm going to take the time to notice these things when playing. Overall a great demo and I look forward to getting people to sleep with the fishes! I'm currently uploading a video on YouTube now.
Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

I've enjoyed it. It is a great game, cover system works perfectly and it has good graphics. Two problems i see on it is that it does not run as well as it looks, and animations are kinda annoying when they take too much of your time, like having to - when you robb someones vehicle - throw him out of the car then press 'f' again to enter and when you're out of the car you have to select your weapon again etc.

By the way this game wins big time in the collectibles =D , first game i've seen that makes me want to get them, no lame flags like in AC!

cabose38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 cabose38
Member since 2005 • 1162 Posts

It won't let me start the game.