Jagged Alliance Flashback

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DerekBP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DerekBP
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
The king of turn-based tactic games is back! Finally JAGGED ALLIANCE will have a real successor - JAGGED ALLIANCE FLASHBACK! Chris Camfield joined the team alongside with JA2 1.13 moders. Campaign needs your support, so hurry while it's hot ;) http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2079547763/jagged-alliance-flashback
DerekBP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 DerekBP
C'mon people, dodn't be shy ;) It's about JAGGED ALLIANCE! It's new, it's hot and waiting for you...
Gelugon_baat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 656

User Lists: 4

#3 Gelugon_baat
Member since 2003 • 24247 Posts

Egads, yet another Kickstarter plug. :?

I would tell you this, DerekBP: I personally prefer the Jagged Alliance games to have just ended at where they were during their zenith, decades ago. I don't want remakes, recycles and reboots - nor sequels - to sully the franchise, if it is not sullied already.

Also, do think twice if you are thinking of spamming plugs.

DaethWalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 DaethWalker
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
Well, alot of us at http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/board/ubbthreads.php have been talking to the guys at Full Control. And this one looks like it's gonna have a shot at reviving the franchise. Maybe it will ... maybe it want. But it will be an actual squad based/strategic/turned-based game. No pause and go. At least take a look before you shoot it down. It's the 1st JA game that has the backing and full support of The Bear's Pit JA Community and that's never happened before.
Gelugon_baat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Gelugon_baat

And this one looks like it's gonna have a shot at reviving the franchise.DaethWalker

"Reviving" - or recycling? If this would-be game is like the "good ol'" Jagged Alliance games, or to use the florid phrase that nostalgic people often use to sugarcoat their fancy, "stay true" to the original games, then I personally would not find it refreshing.

But it will be an actual squad based/strategic/turned-based game. No pause and go. At least take a look before you shoot it down. It's the 1st JA game that has the backing and full support of The Bear's Pit JA Community and that's never happened before.DaethWalker

That's never happened before because that community is full of nostalgic people who can't let go of their fancy to an old game franchise.

That said, if you are thinking that I dislike Jagged Alliance: Back in Action because of "pause-and-go", then you may want to know that I did not like that game because of the game's lack of polish and the eagerness of its maker to peddle DLCs and shackle the game with DRM.

Also, I would tell you this: I despise RNGs, and it so happens that turn-based squad-based strategy games tend to use them a lot. When I played the old Jagged Alliance games, my blood boiled whenever the game threw bad rolls my way and ruined my plans to flank and ambush enemies.

I don't want another game with RNGs, and I would exhort anyone who is reading this and who does not like RNGs in their game, please don't support this Kickstarter project - leave the money-sinking to the nostalgic fans.

DaethWalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DaethWalker
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
So, basically you don't like these kind of games. No problem. Because it certainly couldn't be anything but the games fault that you failed in your attempts to flank and ambush. :)
Gelugon_baat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Gelugon_baat

Because it certainly couldn't be anything but the games fault that you failed in your attempts to flank and ambush. :)DaethWalker

When you finally become frustrated with games where bad luck and not bad decisions on your part cause you to lose, you won't be so sarcastic.

DerekBP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DerekBP
I don't actually think ther is "bad luck" in JA2, only bad planing and "easy thinking". JA2 is more like "unique chess for PC" (with much more aroun dit, of course) - you don't have "bad luck" in chess, just "bad planning" ;) Anyway... this is a way to bring back Jagged Alliance and to bring bright future to turn-based tactis.
Gelugon_baat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Gelugon_baat

I don't actually think ther is "bad luck" in JA2, only bad planing and "easy thinking". JA2 is more like "unique chess for PC" (with much more aroun dit, of course) - you don't have "bad luck" in chess, just "bad planning" ;)DerekBP

That's what an apologist of turn-based strategy games with RNGs would say. :roll:

Anyway... this is a way to bring back Jagged Alliance and to bring bright future to turn-based tactis.DerekBP

I, for one, hope that it stays dead and in the past.

DerekBP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DerekBP

[QUOTE="DerekBP"]I don't actually think ther is "bad luck" in JA2, only bad planing and "easy thinking". JA2 is more like "unique chess for PC" (with much more aroun dit, of course) - you don't have "bad luck" in chess, just "bad planning" ;)Gelugon_baat

That's what an apologist of turn-based strategy games with RNGs would say. :roll:

Anyway... this is a way to bring back Jagged Alliance and to bring bright future to turn-based tactis.DerekBP

I, for one, hope that it stays dead and in the past.

Well... that's just an opinion of one gamer who gets easily frustrated with those type of games ;)
Gelugon_baat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Gelugon_baat

Well... that's just an opinion of one gamer who gets easily frustrated with those type of games ;)DerekBP

Indeed - but I do hope that you acknowledge the reminder that not everyone sees the old Jagged Alliance games the way you do.

DerekBP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DerekBP

[QUOTE="DerekBP"]Well... that's just an opinion of one gamer who gets easily frustrated with those type of games ;)Gelugon_baat

Indeed - but I do hope that you acknowledge the reminder that not everyone sees the old Jagged Alliance games the way you do.

But others do and this is for them ;)
Gelugon_baat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Gelugon_baat

But others do and this is for them ;)DerekBP

Well, good luck to them then. I recall that Kickstarter projects are only successfully funded if they reach their first funding goal - I hope this one doesn't.

DerekBP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DerekBP
Need to go, working hours here :( be in the news (and join the team) http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/ Just imagine... JA2 1.13 but with new story, dramatic twists of event, new graphic where you can actualy see mercs having different items and so much more... with moding abilities. Just imagine!
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#15 Lach0121
Member since 2007 • 11790 Posts

Well, I haven't got to play JA before. However, I did enjoy the new XCOM, and would like to see some modern(esq) setting of a game in a relatively similar fashion.  

This game seems potentially a good contender for that. 

So I went a head, and pledged for the game on kickstarter, hope it makes it. 

Went with the digital Ost, and high res map, with the digital game on release (tier).

Its the first Kickstarter I have pledged to, but I wanted to pledge to Planetary Annihilation. Luckily, it got so much funding that it really didn't matter if I pledged, or not.

DerekBP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 DerekBP
Thanks for the help and replay... Hope you'll spread the word.
ciorlandenis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 ciorlandenis
Member since 2012 • 322 Posts

the remake of XCOM was boringgggggggggggg.... last mission was garbage ... the game didn't really evolve at all

I hope they remake JA like JA2 , not this new xcom simplified crap... I did finish it once and tried to replay it, j/k you can't since there's nothing to replay.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17685 Posts
I pledged a while back, and I hope it hits the mark and gets underway.
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#19 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

the remake of XCOM was boringgggggggggggg.... last mission was garbage ... the game didn't really evolve at all

I hope they remake JA like JA2 , not this new xcom simplified crap... I did finish it once and tried to replay it, j/k you can't since there's nothing to replay.

ciorlandenis
I wouldn't say it was boring but it did have a lot of problems. Yes, that was one of the worst final missions I've ever played. They have said that the game should play like Jagged Alliance 2 with features added from the 1.13 patch.
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Lach0121

[QUOTE="ciorlandenis"]

Legolas_Katarn

I wouldn't say it was boring but it did have a lot of problems. Yes, that was one of the worst final missions I've ever played. They have said that the game should play like Jagged Alliance 2 with features added from the 1.13 patch.

The ending was a big let down, but the game was actually quite fun, and done decently.

That being said, I haven't played the previous XCOM games, also with all that being said, I feel the game could have been much better. (just felt like it was missing a few things)

I too holpe JA:F is better than XCOM, but the new XCOM wasn't bad at all. 

Boring is a stretch. I was far from bored with it.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Lach0121

Thanks for the help and replay... Hope you'll spread the word.DerekBP

Oh yea, I have it in my sig now.  I really hope they get the funding.

Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

[QUOTE="DerekBP"]Thanks for the help and replay... Hope you'll spread the word.Lach0121

Oh yea, I have it in my sig now. I really hope they get the funding.

Same if its close ill pledge myself..Man some gamers are just upset with every thing..You cant keep a game like old school...Well you can but you need to add things to keep it from being stale..Id like them to keep the original formula but add more rpg elements to it..Xcom had this..Was far from boring for me also..Although i had nothing to base xcome with..Never played the orginal games an im old school..Just thought back than i wouldnt like the game..Guess i was wrong about the series..Found xcom to be great fun still do im looking forward to there next expansion of the game..Hopefully jagged alliance does get funded )..

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Lach0121

Yea ^^ I agree on the more RPG elements. They have some good ideas they are trying to flush out you can read on their page. 

Some like leveling in certain weapons classes, lowers your levels in others. So you can't just grind, and get high level on a bunch of classes/techniques, and proceed to just march through the game with ease.   This is something I am kinda interested in.  Along with weapons damage over time mechanics.

There are not many games in this criteria with (anywhere near) this theme. That were made any time recently....

Getting my mom, and my gf to post it on both of their facebooks to spread the word. (I don't have a FB).

Its got over half of its funding, but only 10 days to go :cry:

Oh well, I've done all I can, now I just wait.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MirkoS77

Lach0121

Surprising, knowing JA's following.  I think if the studio had a bit more experience behind its back more would be confident and more willing to pledge.  What they need to do is show a video of certain different gameplay aspects.  It's a bit hard to get excited without being shown something solid.  If this fails, hopefully they do this if they attempt again.

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Lach0121

[QUOTE="Lach0121"]

MirkoS77

Surprising, knowing JA's following.  I think if the studio had a bit more experience behind its back more would be confident and more willing to pledge.  What they need to do is show a video of certain different gameplay aspects.  It's a bit hard to get excited without being shown something solid.  If this fails, hopefully they do this if they attempt again.

I agree, more info could definitely help.  A video like you describe would be nice, as well as one that goes more into details about certain elements that they want to flesh out, or introduce all together.

I am excited because of the gameplay style, theme, and proposed Ideas on their page.  Not many games now offer any of that, much less all in a package with the 70s-80s Cold War theme.

laurson1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 laurson1
I would've been happier with it because I could applaud their ambition.
DerekBP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 DerekBP
Well, since JA2 1.13 moders and Bear's Pit community is helping with KS campaign and whole project that should give great confidence boost. About RPG elements... JA2 is RPG game wrapped with turn-based tactics. JAF will have more of those elements since you'll have more sidquests, twists in story, more complex economy and a way of leveling your merc depending on your fighting style. Thanks for replay and pledges... Thanks for helping and spreading the word. Join Bear's Pit and see community mods and how JA2 evolved, and join JAF project with your ideas and thoughts.
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Lach0121

I upgraded the pledge to $42. 

At $42 you can name an NPC, and you can write a short phrase for a response for it to use in the game. Plus all the stuff of the $35 pledge.

I think its a fairly recent option they added.

Been spreading word of this kickstarter project on my gf's facebook. 

I appreciate it DerekBP for posting this all, otherwise I might have missed this one.

DerekBP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DerekBP
Jagged Alliance museum http://www.facebook.com/bearspit check out how JA games were made... Support JAF project, help FC. KS update 16 http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2079547763/jagged-alliance-flashback/posts (map editor, diorama progress and more) p.s. Did you know, JA2 alpha was REAL time?
Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#30 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
[QUOTE="Lach0121"]

[QUOTE="MirkoS77"]

[QUOTE="Lach0121"]

[QUOTE="MirkoS77"]

[QUOTE="Lach0121"]

Lach0121

I agree, more info could definitely help.  A video like you describe would be nice, as well as one that goes more into details about certain elements that they want to flesh out, or introduce all together.

I am excited because of the gameplay style, theme, and proposed Ideas on their page.  Not many games now offer any of that, much less all in a package with the 70s-80s Cold War theme.

It probably didn't help that we just got a new Jagged Alliance and it was awful, that probably didn't do much to help people have confidence in this studio, that they likely know nothing about, working on another new one.
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Lach0121

Yeah, I haven't tried out the ones that released recently. The ones that weren't all that well recieved.

Sadly, if this game doesn't get funding, I am not left with many options, and will more than likey give them a go. 

Though, I would only purchase them if they were on a good sale.

DerekBP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DerekBP
https://www.facebook.com/rpg.game.fans?hc_location=stream help this project, share and like Josh Sawyer from Obsidian Entertainment is backing up also https://twitter.com/jesawyer/statuses/332334692042940417 even inXile entertainment is supporting
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Lach0121

https://www.facebook.com/rpg.game.fans?hc_location=stream help this project, share and like Josh Sawyer from Obsidian Entertainment is backing up also https://twitter.com/jesawyer/statuses/332334692042940417 even inXile entertainment is supportingDerekBP

Yep, word is finally getting out.

That is pretty awesome of Obsidian to do that. 

After this campaign is over, I will do a slacker pledge on their own site for Project Eternity. 

DerekBP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DerekBP
Such a great day on KS yesterday, so much support. Thank you all! For those uninformed - Bear's Pit is preparing an interview with Ian Currie, Chris Camfield and Thomas (head of Full Control). details: http://www.bears-pit.com/board/ubbthreads.php/topics/319582/Bear_s_Pit_Interview_with_Ian_.html#Post319582 Keep watching on http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2079547763/jagged-alliance-flashback http://www.bears-pit.com/ p.s. "This is my type of game. :-) I think these guys really get it and I'm looking forward to this game." - Ian Currie, designer of the original Jagged Alliance games "I can't directly speak to Full Control's ability to make a great Jagged Alliance game. But I can say that they are very skilled with Unity, understand game/software development, and can move mountains with limited resources. I don't question their intentions or integrity. I backed Jagged Alliance: Flashback day 1. - Kevin Saunders, Project Director at inXile
DerekBP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DerekBP
New update today - DIORAMA! http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2079547763/jagged-alliance-flashback/posts help us by spreading the word http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/board/ubbthreads.php/topics/319757.html
DerekBP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 DerekBP
Interview with Chris Camfield (member of the programming and design tem on JA2, and lead designer on JA3 project) http://www.jagalaxy.com/index.php?news=3150 thanks for support http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2079547763/jagged-alliance-flashback
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Lach0121

Yeah the artstyle/direction reminds me of Planetary Annihilation. 

They are very clean/smooth, even though it isn't even remotely finished. I think this direction should age well over the years. 

Not overly cluttered, and shouldn't take a super rig to run it decently (with that direction)

Which I am actually drawn to, but don't want every new game to use similar graphics.

Though for PA, and JAF, I think they will work great.

DerekBP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 DerekBP
New update today http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2079547763/jagged-alliance-flashback/posts mercenaries included and diorama Q/A support the project and spread the word http://www.ja-galaxy-forum.com/board/ubbthreads.php/topics/319757.html
DerekBP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DerekBP
Yeah, diorama is only preview of 2 weeks of hard work from FC... a lot could change through time. Still looks very good as is very smooth, and the art style is quite catchy. Strong colors give "more life" than JA2 had, and eve if it's not that realistic it's a great starting point and a great preview of what is FC capable of (and that' is much). help this campaign http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2079547763/jagged-alliance-flashback
DerekBP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DerekBP
New update http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2079547763/jagged-alliance-flashback/posts budget, goals, resources... help found this project, spread the word http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2079547763/jagged-alliance-flashback/posts
Gladestone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Gladestone1
Member since 2004 • 5695 Posts

dont think this one is going to make it..It could if its last 2 days get a push..Its been going very slow..Not like there asking for a million like some other kickstarter projects either..

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Lach0121

I really hope it does get funded.

I am tired of being bombarded with the same crap over, and over. 

There is very little in the way of games like this. 

Meanwhile there will be ever going COD reskins every year....

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 MirkoS77
:cry: It's not looking good. I was really hoping to see this make it, but it looks like only a miracle will help at this point. If it doesn't make it, maybe try again with a little 5 min gameplay demo vid? Sorry guys, I tried.
timma25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#44 timma25
Member since 2005 • 1131 Posts

I really wanted to pledge but can't with nothing to show but talk. Unity engine really doesn't excite me either.

DerekBP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DerekBP
New update http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2079547763/jagged-alliance-flashback/posts about IMP and a word from Thomas... personal desire to make this come true and willingness to secrifice. Support FC and JAF http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2079547763/jagged-alliance-flashback
DerekBP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DerekBP
Two new updates yesterday http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2079547763/jagged-alliance-flashback/posts Interview with Ian Currie, father of Jagged Alliance games http://www.jagalaxy.com/index.php?news=3151 Interview with Thomas Lund, head of Full Control http://www.jagalaxy.com/index.php?news=3152 Only 40 hours to go... Let's move it people! http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2079547763/jagged-alliance-flashback?ref=card
Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Lach0121

This might end up making it.

It will be close.

But we are definitely within the realm of it being possible now!

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#49 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Hope this is alot better than the last JA game which was garbage.

I did enjoy the old ones though!

Lach0121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Lach0121

Hope this is alot better than the last JA game which was garbage.

I did enjoy the old ones though!

kozzy1234

They have most of the community, and modders of the original games backing it. 

Even have the creator of JA backing it.

This is not gonna be like the last game, it will be much more in the vein of the older games. Just updated to modern capabilities.