Is the VRAM requirement for Shadows of Mordor bs?

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 Coseniath
Member since 2004 • 3183 Posts

@Jawad2007: Oh, thanks for the detailed images.

Its pretty obvious that the game uses more than 3GB VRAM. 3844MB and 3461MB.

ps: MSI has made this card to have nice temps. Really impressive. :)

ps2: It also uses 8 threads! Thats nice!

Avatar image for deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
Member since 2009 • 7779 Posts

@Coseniath said:
@Postmortem123 said:

I have to turn a few settings down on my 780 Ti to stop it stuttering.

Wow. If someone with i7 4770k, 780Ti and Crucial MX100 512GB RAID 0 (I guess 8 or 16GB RAM as well), have stuttering issues then I guess the game really needs more than 3GB VRAM.

Yeah it stutters quite bad at max, it uses all my VRAM. Makes me wish I kept my 290 lol

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

@FelipeInside said:

@Coseniath said:

I made a little search and reports all over the web are saying that for Ultra you need 4GB VRAM.

GPUs with 3GB VRAM have spikes at max settings while a GTX970 destroys the game with 73 FPS avg at max settings.

Not even.

People are running ULTRA on a 2GB Video Card... (i7 - 16GB RAM)

yeah but only if you want around 30-ish fps average. but doable. on a 670 with 2 gb with everything on ultra, it is at the 35 fps range. some weather causes some microstuttering.

Alucrd2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#54  Edited By Alucrd2009
Member since 2007 • 787 Posts

@Postmortem123: one of the reasons that i got this card is the V ram , and i m thinking of crossfireing it :) , cant wait to try the Evil withen , I love survival horror .

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#55 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts

@Maddie_Larkin said:

@FelipeInside said:

@Coseniath said:

I made a little search and reports all over the web are saying that for Ultra you need 4GB VRAM.

GPUs with 3GB VRAM have spikes at max settings while a GTX970 destroys the game with 73 FPS avg at max settings.

Not even.

yeah but only if you want around 30-ish fps average. but doable. on a 670 with 2 gb with everything on ultra, it is at the 35 fps range. some weather causes some microstuttering.

What cpu do you have? because my GTX 760 2gb gets 60 fps average on ultra with high textures

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

@04dcarraher said:

@Maddie_Larkin said:

@FelipeInside said:

@Coseniath said:

Not even.

What cpu do you have? because my GTX 760 2gb gets 60 fps average on ultra with high textures

a 3930k

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@Coseniath said:
@Jawad2007 said:

@Coseniath: Hey bro , I just got shadow of mordor , and the weird thing the game varies between 60 fps and 30 fps its like its locked 30 fps ? why is that ? is it cause of v sync ? i m so disappointing :( WHY ?

There are reports of 30FPS lock problem all over the web, the game seems to be frame locked while using V-sync or while just being at full screen.

It seems to me that the devs made such a bad port, they didn't even bother to remove 30FPS lock from consoles (they both play the game at 30FPS lock) completely.

Don't worry I believe since there are so many complains (on steam community also) they will fix it sooner or later...

It's not a bad port...

If you have vsync on and your fps drops below your monitors refresh rate, the framerate will drop to 30 fps. This happens with EVERY game, its not a problem with Shadows of Mordor. The way to fix it is to use triple buffering or borderless full screen mode.

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Coseniath
@JangoWuzHere said:

It's not a bad port...

If you have vsync on and your fps drops below your monitors refresh rate, the framerate will drop to 30 fps. This happens with EVERY game, its not a problem with Shadows of Mordor. The way to fix it is to use triple buffering or borderless full screen mode.

Well this is true, but people report of having 30fps lock even without V-sync.

And after Need for Speed 30fps scandal, I am not surpirsed anymore...

JangoWuzHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 JangoWuzHere
Member since 2007 • 19032 Posts

@Coseniath said:
@JangoWuzHere said:

It's not a bad port...

Need for Speed was completely different, I don't understand what your're trying to point out. Shadow of Mordor does not have a 30 FPS lock.

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#60  Edited By Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

i think this game does over estimate the vram you need. I'm playing the game at very high setting and it said to have 3 gigs of vram, but i only have 2 gigs on my 680gtx... and i ran gpu-z to monitor it, and most of the game it was using about 1800 megabytes of vram... it max'd at 2000 only briefly at times. With about 60-80 fps at 1080p (dips down to 50 fps in some cases, average fps is probably mid 60s).

At Ultra setting though it was max'd at 2 gigs the entire time... and the framerate was 10-15 fps lower, but not unplayable... not even jittery. Couldn't see a noticeable difference in high and ultra so i can stick with high... i probably wouldnt notice unless i screenshoted and compared them up close.

Weird bug though, i had to disable dx11 tessellation cause it was causing some strange little bright dots in some parts of the game (lots on the cape of the character)... it had a very low performance hit though (1-3 fps) so if it wasnt so ugly and buggy i probably would have left it on. I didn't try any older drivers to try to fix it cause its an effect thats hard to notice unless your standing still and screenshot comparing on and off.

I just got sweetfx running in the game so im testing that out, it has very low impact on performance and the smaa is really helping take out the edges. I think less then 3-5 fps hit from my early tests of it.

I have vsync off btw, and depth of field, and motion blur. (these are off not to increase performance but because they are awful in every game)

Coseniath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Coseniath
@JangoWuzHere said:

@Coseniath said:

Need for Speed was completely different, I don't understand what your're trying to point out. Shadow of Mordor does not have a 30 FPS lock.

I am trying to point out since my first post that people complaining that game locks at 30FPS without V-sync even. You might not experience the same problem for many reasons (perhaps different GPU and drivers etc etc). That doesn't mean other people cannot experience problems cause one PC doesn't.

And Need for Speed was a product of bad port. You could just change to 60FPS by adding a command in the .exe. And from the complains that I read, Shadow of Mordor seems like a bad port.

Gatygun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Gatygun
Member since 2010 • 2709 Posts

@Old_Gooseberry said:

i think this game does over estimate the vram you need. I'm playing the game at very high setting and it said to have 3 gigs of vram, but i only have 2 gigs on my 680gtx... and i ran gpu-z to monitor it, and most of the game it was using about 1800 megabytes of vram... it max'd at 2000 only briefly at times. With about 60-80 fps at 1080p (dips down to 50 fps in some cases, average fps is probably mid 60s).

At Ultra setting though it was max'd at 2 gigs the entire time... and the framerate was 10-15 fps lower, but not unplayable... not even jittery. Couldn't see a noticeable difference in high and ultra so i can stick with high... i probably wouldnt notice unless i screenshoted and compared them up close.

Weird bug though, i had to disable dx11 tessellation cause it was causing some strange little bright dots in some parts of the game (lots on the cape of the character)... it had a very low performance hit though (1-3 fps) so if it wasnt so ugly and buggy i probably would have left it on. I didn't try any older drivers to try to fix it cause its an effect thats hard to notice unless your standing still and screenshot comparing on and off.

I just got sweetfx running in the game so im testing that out, it has very low impact on performance and the smaa is really helping take out the edges. I think less then 3-5 fps hit from my early tests of it.

I have vsync off btw, and depth of field, and motion blur. (these are off not to increase performance but because they are awful in every game)

There is a big difference between very high and ultra.

Ultra on 1080p requires you to have 3,5gb of v-ram.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

Played throught the whole game with a R9 270 at 2560x1080 with everything on the highest settings without AA and the textures on Medium... Got 40-50FPS.

Running it on the same settings with my GTX 960 only with a little higher framerate around 50-60FPS.

The textures above medium does give me some stutter. I assume you need at least 3-4GB in order to get the textures maxed out.. That being said the textures are great on medium.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#64 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@Gatygun: Please remember to check the date on threads before replying. This thread is 6 months old and "necro bumping" is against forum rules. Locking.

-Byshop